Transfers and contracts thread

Comments

• I agree with Riis, these people are slimy and low.

"It just goes too far here. He has a contract, and he will not get out of it. He will not be allowed to go. It is as simple as that, and he knows that too. I cannot understand why he continues [like this]."

"Richie's manager continues to provoke and push us. We have told them that it cannot be changed. He cannot be bought out of his contract. Yet they continue. It's fair enough - a manager asks, but when he's told no, it must stop. He threatens lawyers and everything at us, but the rules are such that you do not come out of a contract unless both parties agree: rider, current team, and new team."

"It's a huge problem in the sport, and this year it has gone berserk. The agents are running around and shop with all sorts or teams, and it's not just us who have these problems. It must stop now, it's unacceptable. The agents bring ideas into the minds of young riders by putting figures in their minds that are completely unrealistic."

"The problem is that their managers and agents are pushing the limits and are advising their riders wrong. Contracts must be respected."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I agree with Riis, people should respect contracts. However, Mr Riis is never going to be taken seriously when he gets on his ethical high horse, and especially when he has just allowed Cancellara to buy himself out of his contract (so i've read).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    especially when he has just allowed Cancellara to buy himself out of his contract (so i've read).
    What was he supposed to do? Force him to stay at Saxo Bank against his will? That never works out well for anyone. Might as well get some cash for him and buy some up and coming talent with the proceeds.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    especially when he has just allowed Cancellara to buy himself out of his contract (so i've read).
    What was he supposed to do? Force him to stay at Saxo Bank against his will? That never works out well for anyone. Might as well get some cash for him and buy some up and coming talent with the proceeds.

I agree with you, but if Porte really wants to leave (rather than is just get touted around by his agent) then surely he should let him go as well as he's set a precedent?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I agree with Riis, these people are slimy and low.

"It just goes too far here. He has a contract, and he will not get out of it. He will not be allowed to go. It is as simple as that, and he knows that too. I cannot understand why he continues [like this]."

"Richie's manager continues to provoke and push us. We have told them that it cannot be changed. He cannot be bought out of his contract. Yet they continue. It's fair enough - a manager asks, but when he's told no, it must stop. He threatens lawyers and everything at us, but the rules are such that you do not come out of a contract unless both parties agree: rider, current team, and new team."

"It's a huge problem in the sport, and this year it has gone berserk. The agents are running around and shop with all sorts or teams, and it's not just us who have these problems. It must stop now, it's unacceptable. The agents bring ideas into the minds of young riders by putting figures in their minds that are completely unrealistic."

"The problem is that their managers and agents are pushing the limits and are advising their riders wrong. Contracts must be respected."

Riis just wants a top ten GT rider on neo-pro wages. He should have offered Porte a new, improved contract after the Giro. He hasn't and now Porte wants to earn what he's worth. Riis is the one at fault, if you ask me
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mr McQuaid is the agent - explains a lot; no doubt scumbag runs in the family
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    RichN95 wrote:
    Riis just wants a top ten GT rider on neo-pro wages. He should have offered Porte a new, improved contract after the Giro. He hasn't and now Porte wants to earn what he's worth. Riis is the one at fault, if you ask me
    I'm not sure this would have been possible given Riis was struggling for sponsors
    Mr McQuaid is the agent - explains a lot; no doubt scumbag runs in the family
    Agents will do what agents do. His dad needs to put his foot down and get some rules in place... to stop his son destabilising things.
  • RichN95.
    Kléber wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure this would have been possible given Riis was struggling for sponsors

No doubt. And had Saxo folded, would Riis have paid Porte in 2011? Are Milram riders under contract still getting paid next year?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

No doubt. And had Saxo folded, would Riis have paid Porte in 2011? Are Milram riders under contract still getting paid next year?

He's got a contract for 2 years because he's a neo-pro. The 2 years to protect him. It should protect the sponsor too.

Just make all contracts single year and be done with it. Renogotiate on an annual basis.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's got a contract for 2 years because he's a neo-pro. The 2 years to protect him. It should protect the sponsor too.

Just make all contracts single year and be done with it. Renogotiate on an annual basis.

Alternatively, make all contracts 2 years with a buy out clause after one year specifying the amount. Then a team will still have an incentive to take on a neo-pro knowing that if he is any good he will get either 2 good years, a decent sum after one year or is free to renegotiate the contract with the rider.
  • Cozza to Team NetApp (GER) who plan to try and PT in 2012

HOSTE and MORENO from Lotto to Katusha

LOSADA from Caisse to Lotto

LORENZETTO from Lampre to Astana

SARAMOTINS from HTC to Cofidis (winner of last week's GP d'Isbergues)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Apparently Rigobert Uran is signing for Sky for three years. Along with Xabier Zandio, who I know next to nothing about.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/wai/noticias-ficha.asp?id=30745
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ^ Interesting. I thought those Spanish and South American types weren't cut out to be happy ants.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Interesting - I hope Uran is a good buy for Sky. He's very talented, and still only 23 years old. But, he's been a pro for 5 years, and his progress isn't that fast - let's hope he's not the eternal talent that never delivers.

Zandio is a Caisse domestique in his 30s - I can't see another reason for Sky to buy him than that he was cheap.
  • Peraud to AG2R
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Impey, Hunt, Hunter and Traksel to Pegasus according to Biciciclismo.

Their new DS is possibly Servais Knaven.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    FJS wrote:
    Interesting - I hope Uran is a good buy for Sky. He's very talented, and still only 23 years old. But, he's been a pro for 5 years, and his progress isn't that fast - let's hope he's not the eternal talent that never delivers.

Zandio is a Caisse domestique in his 30s - I can't see another reason for Sky to buy him than that he was cheap.

Erm. Uran came 3rd in Giro di Lombardia 2/3 yrs ago. So Zandio is a domestique? Worth their weight in gold for Sky I would have thought; IMHO have too many prima donnas. (I like his plaits too!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Ms Tree wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Erm. Uran came 3rd in Giro di Lombardia 2/3 yrs ago. So Zandio is a domestique? Worth their weight in gold for Sky I would have thought; IMHO have too many prima donnas. (I like his plaits too!)
    Uran coming 3rd is exactly what I mean - he was only 21 years old then, and it's still his biggest feat. Last year he finished 5th in Romandie and this year 7th in Suisse; improvements? perhaps, but not the clear year on year improvement you expect of someone so very young. But perhaps he's just taken a deliberately careful approach. He's clearly talented, and we'll see.

About Zandio, I'm sure he'll be useful - it just isn't immediately clear why they picked him, specifically.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoste to Katusha?

Presumably help for Pozzato?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    FJS wrote:
    About Zandio, I'm sure he'll be useful - it just isn't immediately clear why they picked him, specifically.

Presumably one of Uran's conditions for joining?
  • Team Sky confirm signings of Uran, Zandio and Dowsett:

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 72,00.html
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Voeckler to Cofidis if BBox isn't saved by 5pm on Friday
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    It seems that Thomas Voeckler has agreed to join Cofidis, if and when BBox finally disappears (as seems very likely now)

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/dma_cyclisme_-Thomas-Voeckler-choisit-Cofidis_44096-1531966-fils-80_filDMA.Htm
  • if and when BBox finally disappears (as seems very likely now)

Or not, though they will be a Pro Continental team next season.

Andy
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Bronzie wrote:

Surely the difference here is that an agreement was reached between employer and employee - ie Canc wanted to go and Riis was happy to allow him to terminate his contract, subject to a payment.

If there is no agreement between Riis and Porte, then the contract remains valid. If Porte sulks and doesn't put the effort in, then don't pay him. Presumably, if he'd done nothing last year (perhaps due to injury or illness), he wouldn't be crying for his contract to be cancelled? The 2-year neo-pro contact is there for a reason - to protect the rider and give him 2 years to prove himself/make an impression. Some do (Porte, Swift, Sagan etc) and some don't.

Porte is still very young and has plenty of time to build up his reputation/palmares to justify a good contract, when he's up for renewal.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sylvain Calzati to Bretagne-Schuller

That's the first official leaver from team happy, isn't it?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    Porte is still very young and has plenty of time to build up his reputation/palmares to justify a good contract, when he's up for renewal.

He's not that young. He's older than Schleck, Nibali and Cavendish, not to mention the likes of Kreuziger and Gesink.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “I think Roman Kreuziger is the strongest addition,” he said, speaking about the new signings. “He is young but a very promising racer. Perhaps Roman will be the main striking force of Astana in the Giro and will be my principal assistant in the Tour.”

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest