Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Interesting that the Lance "Fanboys" moray gub and paul cuthbert have been very quiet on the subject of the "Texan Messiah" - maybe there computers have broken down at the same moment. a bit like bradley wiggins twitter who let the world know about a certain ricardo ricco the WANNABEE mod is hiding in a dark room i think along with those hideous black socks :D
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Interesting that the Lance "Fanboys" moray gub and paul cuthbert have been very quiet on the subject of the "Texan Messiah" - maybe there computers have broken down at the same moment. a bit like bradley wiggins twitter who let the world know about a certain ricardo ricco the WANNABEE mod is hiding in a dark room i think along with those hideous black socks :D

Yet again, Ricco was convicted of a doping offence. At the moment we only have allegations here.

Are you really unable to tell the difference?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    Yeah i can tell your another Fanboy
  • DaveyL
    Am I really. Go find a post that proves it.

I'm such a fanboy that LA has blocked me on twitter.

Why not come back to this when you're sober?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    Why are you even talking to him on twitter - it's common knowledge he gets his heavy team to check you out 1st - only arsekissers are allowed in his posse.
  • DaveyL
    I sent a supportive message to a Cycling Weekly journo who had himself been blocked. It didn't involve any direct dialogue with Armstrong.

Try again.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    what you get blocked for?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Gazzetta67
    Oh so your saying armstrong reads cycling weekly now and somehow found your twitter username and blocked you - are you sober ? try again.
  • DaveyL
    No, I'm saying that he, or someone managing his account, was looking at the "@replies" to the cyclingweekly journos they'd blocked. I wasn't following Armstrong and hadn't mentioned him by name in any tweets so this is the only way they could have found me to block me.

Yes, I know, you'd think they had better things to do with their time. Kind of the same feeling I'm getting right now.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    Just off the phone to bruyneel - he asked if you wanted a job at the shack as lance's personal apoligist - told him you will have to wait till he sober's up 1st
  • DaveyL
    Not found any posts to back that up fanboy thing yet then?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    i deal in here and now - you cant now change your mind cos your man's jacket is now on a shakey nail and your going to have to decide if you stand with him or against him ? it's your choice matey so whats it to be Fanboy or Nonfanboy
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    i deal in here and now - you cant now change your mind cos your man's jacket is now on a shakey nail and your going to have to decide if you stand with him or against him ? it's your choice matey so whats it to be Fanboy or Nonfanboy

Good grief, are you 10 years old or something?
  • DaveyL
    Why don't you have a look in my posting history and see if you can come up with any that suggests I'm the former.

And while you're at it, go back and look at the post that started this pathetic exchange, and tell me what's wrong with my position - that what we have at the moment are *allegations*. They may well turn out to be mostly true, but at the moment they are still allegations. This is different from a legally verified doping conviction.

You may be happy to run your mouth off in anonymity without evidence - but that doesn't mean that pro riders also should.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    Davey calm down will you mate was just having good hearted banter if a bit childish am reading from the same hymn sheet as you - was just putting a sarcastic slant on it that was all. - I just hope like many of us that all this landis affair is NOT swept under the carpet and i think the role of the UCI in this is well dodgy
  • DaveyL
    I'll take that as a retraction then.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzetta67
    Yes if you want to call it that :D lighten up a bit eh
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Can people stop trolling on this damn thread?!

It's been epic - 51 pages - but I'm out. :roll:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Hello.

Woah. 51 pages. Mental. When I was here the other day it was only 20... I didn't even read the other 30 odd pages, just came in at 49 to get a jist of what you've been saying.

So I'm a fanboy eh? Nice. Guess that's why I've been busy out riding my bike round the park in the sun (lovin' it!) as normal and not creaming myself over this juice like you all have been. If that makes me a fanboy, then so be it :)

It's kinda sad that you've all taken it this far. You really all need to get out more and catch some vitamin D!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Sounds like you're saying all Lance fans are idiots?? Could be, but I have my doubts.
    There is an old saying about "fame is a fleeting thing" and Armstrong, like many others, will be pushed aside sooner than later. His fans will die out just like evey other "sporting hero". Don't worry, you guys are going to have your wishes granted. Sooner or later, in one way or another. I doubt it will be in the way you think or wish, but he, like everyone else will eventually be gone. Then you can all find some new distraction to obcess about.

We'll probably all go back to watching pro cycling. How about you?

So I have your assurance that cycling in the post Lance era will be pure as the driven snow? You guys are simply setting yourselves up for another let down. Good luck in you belief in the purity of "our sport".

Now I'd appreciate it if you answered the question I asked you. What will you do once Armstrong disappears from cycling? Because you clearly have no interest in pro cycling, unlike everyone else on this section of the forum. Once Armstrong goes there'll be a far bigger hole in your life than there will be in mine.

Well, I have been getting up and going to work before Lance was born, before he was a cyclist, before kids, after marriage, after kids, and I will probably do pretty much the same when his name stops appearing pretty much everywhere. He really doesn't interest me that much. What does interest me is the intense scrutiny, that the some people
    on this forum seem to put forth, in some vain attempt to feel like they know him intimately.
    Here's a question. Why does everyone think I'm a fanboy? i haven't read anything he's written or anything written about him(other than the standard sporting news stuff), I don't have a yellow wrist band, I haven't given money to his charities, I've never read his twitter(or anyone else's), I don't belong to his fan club(what 61 year old man does?). I'm thinking I'm being called a fanboy in some attempt to p*ss me off. Not because any of you actually believe it. I say things to p*ss people off, generate responce, so I'm guessing you all do the same.

As a 61 year old with all your years of experience you are genuinely surprised that on a cycling forum people are interested in discussing whether or not the highest profile cyclist of the last decade may have been a drugs cheat? Really? Or is this just an example of you trying to provoke a 'responce' (sic)? Either way, it seems as if your posts would be better ignored from now on... which is what I'm gonna do! See ya Fanboy! :lol:

I'll buy your arguement. You have made a good point. I shouldn't be so surprised. Point taken. Maybe it's more curiousity than suprise? :? :?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dennisn wrote:

I never get sick of watching that!

I can only imagine what it sounded like in the peloton. Let's be honest, they're on the gas, Cuddles is probably out of breathe, and he's a known high talker.

Probably a bit like this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8t25ePTlg
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    Woah. 51 pages. Mental.

Is that Allen Lim trolling? :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Why I'm anti-Armstrong.

First, a dislaimer: I'm new here, I only signed up to comment on this thread, which up until now has been fascinating and informative reading. I only speak for myself, though I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion was shared by others. I don't want to tread on any toes, and I certainly don't want to stir up or participate in any factionalisation or board in-fighting. But the question that was raised, if I can paraphrase slightly, was why are you all so interested in Armstrong in particular, why has he become to be seen as the anti-Christ of cycling?

For me, I've never liked him. Even before I became convinced he was juiced to the eyeballs there was something about him that rubbed me up the wrong way. Perhaps it's partly because he's American. I really really hate the American sporting "ethos". Yes I know prop-cycling is a competitive sport, not some sort of Zen passtime, but the way the US categorises "losers and winners" has always bothered me. I know that the line "it's not winning that matters, it's the taking part" is a cliche, but I still hold it as some sort of ideal for sport. Anyone that seems so utterly focussed on winning seems to me just a little too driven - and a little too likely to cheat to get there. Of course, that's just a question of personal taste, and clearly anyone that wins major cycle races has to be driven to do so.

LA has always struck me as a little too slick, a little too aware of making sure he says the right things, a little too stage managed, a little too concerned with his image and sponsorships. I like my sports stars to have a little of the loose cannon about them, a bit of personality (think Agassi as opposed to Sampras for instance).

In terms of cycling, it was always the climbers that excited me, the methodical dullness of time trialists was effective and pragmatic, but never got the heart racing as a spectator like seeing a break on an Alpine pass. Obviously you can't win a TdF without being able to climb AND time trial, but where the big gains were made changes the flavour of the win, for me.

In that respect I was also less than keen on Indurain and LeMond. Yes I know it's like watching football and only being interested in the guys that score the goals, rather than the defenders that make sure they're not scored against you, it's shallow and ignorant of the sport in general, but I've never been a serious in-depth fan.

So when I came to the opinion that pretty much everyone of any repute was on the juice in some way or another I was already predisposed to not liking Armstrong. At that point it became a question of who was getting away with it. Who had gained most by cheating. Not a stage win here and there, or even a polkadot jersey, but 7 TdF wins. In a comment someone else made earlier, it was pointed out that even the cheating seemed to be biased in favour of Armstrong - if Landis' allegations are correct. Someone else found the idea laughable (not that there might have been bias, but that it might have been a point of interest), but it isn't to me. I've often heard that if we just let drugs in sport go unchecked then at least we would have a level playing field, but if Armstrong really did have the UCI in his pocket then even that is blown out of the water.

I can't tell you whether Landis' accusations are correct or not, but I've been convinced for years, from other bits of evidence that Armstrong was juiced. I didn't believe Landis when he proclaimed his innocence (just another whiny cheat that got caught), but his allegations now confirm what I always believed. He might be making it all up, but it seems highly plausible to me. Yes, I was already 100% convinced of his guilt, and yes, I ready to grab hold of anything that confirms that and run with it.

In terms of what it means for the sport, I've been waiting for this for years. If it does bring Armstrong down then it's of monumental importance. It signifies that it doesn't matter how big a name you are, we will get you in the end. It won't clean up cycling overnight, and it will be immensely damaging in the short term. But it could put the final nail in the coffin of the culture of doping. Armstrong won't have been caught because he was stupid, because he didn't dope right, he'll have been caught because it won't have been possible to achieve so much through drugs and get away with it. It could mark the end of omerta, the end of systematic in-house team doping, because riders will never know that they can trust those around them to keep quiet.

That's what it means to me, and it's just what I think cycling needs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Excellent post Ta. I have hardly been following this thread as there are so many people arguing about pointless things rather than debating and providing new information on the actual original topic.

I have PM'ed you a link you may be interested in (given you are new: you can see them at the top of the main Forum page)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    tA, I'm not sure what you're doing on this forum, you seem to be talking sense!
    I've always thought that the really interesting issue is not who's doping and who's not - like you and many others, I've sadly and reluctantly had to come to the conclusion that most, if not all, of them are at it - but the way that the whole thing revolves around LA.
    It's people's reaction to his character that intrigues me, and the way that opinions are so polarised.
    It will be intriguing to see what (or who) they all move onto when he's gone.
  • DaveyL
    it will be interesting. Some of them might even find time to comment on other doping cases!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    bompington wrote:
    It's people's reaction to his character that intrigues me, and the way that opinions are so polarised.
    Without going into too much detail, there are certain personality types that do this. It's a universal response to these types. Everyone experiences a strong reaction one way or the other. (Well, almost everyone...)
    What I find intriguing is the lack of self-awareness in response to this. Some folk are so driven in one direction or the other that they become quite irrational, yet never seem to notice. It's quite hilarious when they insist that it's a logical/cognitive response when it's simply a hippocampal response....
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    It's a pity this thread didn't take a rest day ;)