Just for Fun: If I were Prime Minister, I would...

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    because in this thread I can, I'd use all the tax from cigarettes to be used to repair all the roads so they are lovely and flat and smooth.

oh and if your dog craps in a public place and you don't clear it up within a sensible time limit you will be held down and have it smeared all over your face.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    replace car body-work with cards, a bit like the ones that hold bags of peanuts in pubs, and cover them in energy gels, drivers found not replacing the gels are to be goo'd.

That'd be nice at the lights on long rides around town.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    because in this thread I can, I'd use all the tax from cigarettes to be used to repair all the roads so they are lovely and flat and smooth.

oh and if your dog craps in a public place and you don't clear it up within a sensible time limit you will be held down and have it smeared all over your face.

You could call it the 'Tar Tax' :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • 4. Ban all HGV and LGVs from busy roads at commuter hours
    I think there might be "unintended consequences" with that. Have you thought it through?

You come up with some interesting points, I have thought this one through, I work in the construction industry and have run plenty of projects with extremely tight vehicular constraints and can see that with better management of haulage movements then we can have no go zones at set times for large movements which will not have detrimental effects on businesses. Obviously I am no transport expert but I believe their is a way of doing this.
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Supermarkets getting their fresh food deliveries? Mobile MRI scanners moving around the country?

Sorry, but Dr Beeching set us up for all this many moons ago - we simply don't have the rail infrastructure in place anymore to move the tonneage of freight we need to by rail - I worked for a few months in Basel, and could see the rail freight terminal there in action - it was brilliant, whole HGV artics turning up, driving onto the transporters - drivers in the carriage, and a long journey ahead ahead of them to many destinations in continental Europe - not here though - as evidenced by the number of empty and moss-strewn platforms at the Eurotunnel in Dover...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Supermarkets getting their fresh food deliveries? Mobile MRI scanners moving around the country?

Sorry, but Dr Beeching set us up for all this many moons ago - we simply don't have the rail infrastructure in place anymore to move the tonneage of freight we need to by rail - I worked for a few months in Basel, and could see the rail freight terminal there in action - it was brilliant, whole HGV artics turning up, driving onto the transporters - drivers in the carriage, and a long journey ahead ahead of them to many destinations in continental Europe - not here though - as evidenced by the number of empty and moss-strewn platforms at the Eurotunnel in Dover...

Most supermarket deliveries are made out of commuter hours anyway due to residential constraints etc... I am sure that the NHS and their wonderful team of efficiency driven logistics managers could fathom a way of not moving their mobile scanners between say 7am-9am and 4.30pm and 6.30pm?
  • TommyEss
    The scanners are provided by a third party - they move all over the country as and when required.

And don't overestimate the NHS managers... (I assume your post has a strong sense of sarcasm!?)

Anyway, yeah, I see where you're trying to go - but I keep finding HGVs on my route - surely they'd avoid the rush hours if they could too? Must be a good reason they don't, like that's when the deliveries need to be made!?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    TommyEss wrote:

That's easy:
    all supermarket deliverys to be in tins - tins to be distributed by pneumatic tube.

MRI scanners to be incorporated into helicopters.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

That's easy:
    all supermarket deliverys to be in tins - tins to be distributed by pneumatic tube.

I like the tubes!

Replace buses with Chinooks too.
    3638chinook_landing_on_roof.jpg
    "Excuse me, does this go to the High Street?"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • TommyEss wrote:
    The scanners are provided by a third party - they move all over the country as and when required.

And don't overestimate the NHS managers... (I assume your post has a strong sense of sarcasm!?)

Anyway, yeah, I see where you're trying to go - but I keep finding HGVs on my route - surely they'd avoid the rush hours if they could too? Must be a good reason they don't, like that's when the deliveries need to be made!?

I agree that they are trying to deliver whe the deliveries are required but if the end user was more efficient then perhaps these deliveries could be postponed until say 10am rather than 8am?

The amount of deliveries we have sat on site at 8am which the lads are "DESPERATE" for and then it sits their till lunchtime is unbelievable. If their where no goods vehicle movements in commuter areas at set times I am sure that we would all be able to work around it.
  • TommyEss
    bails87 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

That's easy:

I like the tubes!

Replace buses with Chinooks too.
    3638chinook_landing_on_roof.jpg
    "Excuse me, does this go to the High Street?"

"Typical... You wait all day for a bus and then..."

inthefield_s3_p2.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    "Bus" stops would HAVE to play Ride of the Valkyries as the helicopters approached!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Unlike the NCN, which takes great delight in detouring over every hill in sight.

<OT>
    Exactly, good old NCN, everytime I hear someone rattle on about it, I love to point out this photo to them (look carefully at the two signs for Newmarket :roll: )

dscf0948.jpg

</OT>
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Anyone showing disregard for their fellow man in any shape or form to be slapped silly 8)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    edited May 2010
    Unlike the NCN, which takes great delight in detouring over every hill in sight.

<OT>
    Exactly, good old NCN, everytime I hear someone rattle on about it, I love to point out this photo to them (look carefully at the two signs for Newmarket :roll: )

dscf0948.jpg

</OT>

Oi I wrote that, not KB.

And your sign post,
    it's on my commute

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 8,,0,11.35
  • Kieran_Burns
    will3 wrote:

<OT>

dscf0948.jpg

</OT>

Oi I wrote that, not KB.

And your sign post,
    it's on my commute

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 8,,0,11.35

but I claim intellectual copyright as you based your post on my idea :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Looking at the helmet argument in this thread...

Why not just make a range of helmets, hi-viz jackets + any other "safety equipment" you can think of free.

You can still choose whether to wear it or not.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Why not just make a range of helmets, hi-viz jackets + any other "safety equipment" you can think of free..
    Because it would be silly?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Kieran_Burns
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Why not just make a range of helmets, hi-viz jackets + any other "safety equipment" you can think of free..

Cheers,
    W.

and the trebucheting of offenders into trees was what exactly? :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited May 2010
    SimonLyons wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Oooh - nested quotes. Nice.

It's not the cost of this garb that stops me wearing it. It's the pointless and futile reasoning behind the desire to make it a legal requirement that gets on my ti... wick. Suggesting that it's a cost issue is close to being a bit of a cheek young feller me lad.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    SimonLyons wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Now that was a sound plan. Admittedly there are some details to work out WRT placement of the trebuchets, flight paths, training of the volunteers (my working assumption is that there would be no shortage of volunteer operators, but I think H+S training might be required...), and maintenance but fundamentally, it seems an eminently sensible idea! Let's start with the two guys in the pickup from last night's commute....

Cheers,
    W.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    eh.... hadn't we banned health and safety as being boring?

Sounds like we need to start trebucheting closer to home that we first realised... 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I would instigate "the mitten" and "the boot", which are large metal gloves/shoes that would be clamped over the hand of a thief/fare dodger or to the foot for stupid driving offences. They would be heavy too so they are a pest.

They would also be clamped to the person't preferred hand or foot so that they have to spend weeks not only dragging the limb around (until their time is served), but they have to use the 'wrong' hand for everything else.

Perhaps bike thieves could have a penny farthing locked to them.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    national cycling year!! lol what great fun would that be :D i know it would be pretty dangerous in parts but imagine how many people we would be going past!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    davmaggs wrote:
    I would instigate "the mitten" and "the boot", which are large metal gloves/shoes that would be clamped over the hand of a thief/fare dodger or to the foot for stupid driving offences. They would be heavy too so they are a pest.

They would also be clamped to the person't preferred hand or foot so that they have to spend weeks not only dragging the limb around (until their time is served), but they have to use the 'wrong' hand for everything else.

Perhaps bike thieves could have a penny farthing locked to them.

Equipping drivers with a 'lead foot' = surely a bad idea? :P
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    all cars to have a spring loaded sharp metal spike placed into the centre of the steering wheel that is activated if a cyclist is overtaken with less than 3 feet. I envisage some sort of sonar device or maybe for organics a couple of tame bats wired into the sensor system to ensure that it doesn't happen accidentaly or on account of bad riding by the knobrot cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name.

Road designers, planners and engineers to be forced to ride their roads once done, especially where they've incorporated full width speed bumps rather than speed pillows and doubly so whenn they've foisted us with a pointless meandering green strip full of gutters and sharp metal rubbish beside a perfectly servicable carriageway that we are expected to use. And redesign them when they realise that they're not cycle friendly. Serious point - if our leaders expect the country to take up cycling in any number, for whatever reason, then cycling needs to get parity or priority in multi modal situations.

castration and crucifixion for a range of thoughtless and 'I'm bigger than you' offences such as left hooking, parking in the pointless green strips, slapping or buzzing cyclists as they drive past them, pulling ahead of the give way line at junctions and right turning across us, just for starters

Enforced wearing of a Ronald McDonald costume and full make up for 6 months for anyone that shouts out supposedly humerous comments and encouragement to us whilst we're riding along.

All small flying insects to be made illegal or at least made to wear hi-viz jackets and never swarm more than 2 abreast. little bug helmets too to protect them in case of collisions with cyclists :wink:

(edited)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I wouldn't bother running in the first place to be honest. As for Jake being Prime Minister :shock: :shock: :shock:

He would also be looking for someone else to cook his dinner :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • simonaspinall
    simonaspinall Posts: 645
    All cars to be fitted with a 35mph limiter.

Yes I know, i'd love it too.

Orrrrr all drivers to be fitted with a battle royale style extermination necklace.

Lovin the lead limb idea - perhaps extend that to a full frontal labotomy.

Ooo ooo ooo! What about driving offences being correctly brought to justice in a gladiatorial contest with a lion. Sorry, did I say lion? I meant fire-breathing, razor clad attack lion of pain.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    These people aren't trying hard enough. Where are the suggestions to arm the public with paintball guns, lolly-pop ladies to have powers of detention, energy foods fixed to cars for the greater good etc? Telegraph readers are letting themselves down a bit with all this nonsense about Human Rights & so on. I'll post a comment on there pointing them here. That should give em the idea.

Scrap these laws.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ooh ooh!!!

I got another one!

Leading on from CiBs uber-rant.

All cyclists to be armed with paintball guns!

Like this one you mean? AND it was in reply to your suggestion! :roll: :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X