Just for Fun: If I were Prime Minister, I would...

Comments

• South London to Reading? Thats a rather long commute on a bike?
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Make it law for all cyclists to wear helmets

Make all cyclists take a cycling proficiency test to be allowed to rdie on the roads in London

I am a cyclist and have nothing against people who want to cycle on Londons roads (although I often think they are mad), I do however ever think that their are an extremely small minority who either choose to have a blatant disregard for their own safety or are too stupid to realise they are putting themselves in danger.

Please don't all attacke me as I believe 99.9% of cyclists have the skills and knowledge to cycle on the roads safely but the few who don't are giving cyclists a bad name. I drive through London everyday and sometime find myself gobsmacked at some peoples cycling.

Sorry rant over!

Sheesh. I need to re-evaluate my life choices. I commute in London without a helmet. I must be really really stupid. Although I have managed to master the art of typing ans spelling...

Hang on, you 'Drive through London everyday.' Are you insane? Get on your bike FFS.

:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • simonaspinall
    simonaspinall Posts: 645
    In built-up areas you could have on-roof snipers for any motoring offences - No need for any traffic police then - just straight to execution.

The motto: "I love the smell of BMW driver in the morning"
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    No motor vehicles on Tuesdays
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited May 2010
    My apologies, I have obviously touched a nerve. My only justification is that if making all cyclists using the road wear a helmet then if even one life is saved then it is worth it?

It only takes a moron not paying attention to knock you off your bike and that could well be it for you.

Didn't mean to rattle any cages
    Hi - :D welcome to our chummy little place.

No - saving one life is the worst argument for any law. It means that for virtually zero return / benefit, society is strait-jacketed into some little hitler's view of how the world should be. Even If It Saves One Life is the cry for such dreadful nonsense as Sarah's Law, or the complete banning of handguns in any sporting guise, or the reduction of the drink-drive limit to zero so that no-one can drive for days just because he / she had a drink a while back. Etc etc. Just one life isn't worth didlly-squat in reality, otherwise we'd all be confined to barracks wearing padded suits. Life is risky - it kills everyone in the end. Live with it, and enjoy it while you can.

Here's one. Lolly-pop ladies to have full powers of detention & arrest. Lolly-pop sticks to be modified to carry a large spring-loaded comedy hook with which to capture miscreants & baddies.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My apologies, I have obviously touched a nerve. My only justification is that if making all cyclists using the road wear a helmet then if even one life is saved then it is worth it?

It only takes a moron not paying attention to knock you off your bike and that could well be it for you.

Didn't mean to rattle any cages

How about going away and reading around the subject? For one, cycle helmets are not designed to offer protection if you get hit by another vehicle...

You can start here

Informed opinion is so much better...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    . Although I have managed to master the art of typing ans spelling...

:wink:

EDIT: Bollocks, too slow, how did it take me 4 minutes to type that?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Make it law for all cyclists to wear helmets

Make all cyclists take a cycling proficiency test to be allowed to rdie on the roads in London

I am a cyclist and have nothing against people who want to cycle on Londons roads (although I often think they are mad), I do however ever think that their are an extremely small minority who either choose to have a blatant disregard for their own safety or are too stupid to realise they are putting themselves in danger.

Please don't all attacke me as I believe 99.9% of cyclists have the skills and knowledge to cycle on the roads safely but the few who don't are giving cyclists a bad name. I drive through London everyday and sometime find myself gobsmacked at some peoples cycling.

Sorry rant over!

The compulsory helmet thing in it's raw form is a bit too contentious.... however... with a few tweaks it could be made weird, and inoffensive to cyclists:

for example, just to confuse and annoy everyone, make helmets compulsory, but give the authorities absolutely no ways or means to enforce this, thus making the compulsory-ness utterly pointless
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • will3
    bails87 wrote:

You got pwned by your keyboard. Your typing is shut.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    1) send all the Chavs to one island on the other side of the world and then bomb the island. (this will reduce most of the benefit thieves, free up houses in the process, improve public safety and etc.) :twisted:

2) introduce "an arm for an arm, an eye for an eye" punishment. :x

3) introduce cycling week - no cars for a week (due to some people might need them for work, that week will become public holiday) 8)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

So why not apply the same logic to car drivers and passengers, as I suggested? Or pedestrians? Or children playing in a playground? Or another of the hundreds of other activities that carry a degree of risk with them?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Agent57 wrote:

So why not apply the same logic to car drivers and passengers, as I suggested? Or pedestrians? Or children playing in a playground? Or another of the hundreds of other activities that carry a degree of risk with them?

Like typing on this forum... we know where you live.... :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe
    bails87 wrote:

Fail! I'm off to buy a helmet!
  • Agent57 wrote:

Granted, but when cycling on the road you always have the unknown factor that is other peope as you all have mentioned. I agree that we could be in danger of becoming more of a nanny state but I would rather take my chances with a cars bonnet whilst wearing a helme than not.
  • will3
    Agent57 wrote:

Granted, but when cycling on the road you always have the unknown factor that is other peope as you all have mentioned. I agree that we could be in danger of becoming more of a nanny state but I would rather take my chances with a cars bonnet whilst wearing a helme than not.

If I were PM I would make it imperative that anyone mentioning enforcement of gear to protect you whilst having an accident will also come up with at least 10 new ways of preventing the accident from happening in the first place.
  • will3 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

If I were PM I would make it imperative that anyone mentioning enforcement of gear to protect you whilst having an accident will also come up with at least 10 new ways of preventing the accident from happening in the first place.

1. Improve cycle paths
    2. Make all drivers undergo bi-annual refresher courses in safe driving practice
    3. Make all new drivers take a course in drink driving rehabiblitation before they even get a licence
    4. Ban all HGV and LGVs from busy roads at commuter hours
    5. Install satellite controlled speed contol devices to all motor vehicles

Sorry could only come up with five.
  • CiB
    Agent57 wrote:

Does not compute... What 'unknown factor'? Do other accidents have some forewarning in their invocation? Is it me?

If that's how you feel, I'd suggest you wear a helmet. With my full blessing. Please don't ask for laws that would force me to wear one whilst riding across the idyllic rural of the lanes of Bucks / Oxon, saying hello to nice young ladies on horseback. (Them not me).
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    using a flail while on cycle back in response to bad motor vehicle handling to be a non-arrestable offence.
    Large weighty spiked ball to the back of the motorbike helmet would make em think twice of going in the asl again :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited May 2010
    Agent57 wrote:

Granted, but when cycling on the road you always have the unknown factor that is other peope as you all have mentioned.

Of course; but that same unknown factor is present if you're behind the wheel of a car, or a passenger in one. So it's no more an argument for mandatory helmet-wearing on a bike than it is for the same in a car.
    I would rather take my chances with a cars bonnet whilst wearing a helme than not.

That's perfectly reasonable, and it's a choice you're free to make. But the key word there is that it is a choice. The jury's still out on the efficacy of helmets for cyclists. They may help in some instances -- mitigating damage, or even saving a life -- but they're not designed for a high speed impact (for example). They're designed and tested to withstand an impact at a speed of 12 mph falling onto a stationary kerb from a height of about 1 metre. Basically, the sort of fall you might have if you are distracted by something and ride into the kerb (I did that once; she was very pretty). So they're not even tested for their ability to save a life in a 40+ MPH collision (if I ride into a car coming the other way, for example). Also, they can't protect against rotational forces which are claimed to be the cause of most fatal injuries. Then there's the problem of people who do wear helmets, but don't wear them correctly.

Overall, it's certainly not black and white, which is why I argue that it should be a matter of choice, not compulsion.

For example, here's a study (albeit a fairly old one -- 1996 -- using even older data):

The pattern of injury in fatal pedal cycle accidents and the possible benefits of cycle helmets concluded that if pedestrians and motorists wore helmets it would save 12 times more lives than if cyclists wore them.

From its abstract:
    There is no justification for compelling cyclists to wear helmets without taking steps to improve the safety of all road users.

For the record, I do wear a helmet most of the time.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • simonaspinall
    simonaspinall Posts: 645
    Any motoring offence whatsoever - Car is confiscated and replaced with a G-Whizz or a adult-size pedal car.

oooo oooo oooo even worse - a pashley!
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    edited May 2010
    If I were Prime Minister I would make it Law that all fit lasses wore see-through knickers and micro skirts and all fat lasses wore a public health warning... oh, and anyone found deliberately 'cutting' up a cyclist in a Car, Van, Taxi, Bus etc was publicly flogged!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    South London to Reading? Thats a rather long commute on a bike?

I've done Reading to Marble Arch - lovely route!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    bails87 wrote:

I thought it was intentional...

Apologies for over-estimating you! :P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Kieran_Burns
    TommyEss wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Hoi!

I took the pee first! I demand recognition for being a smug git.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

1. Improve cycle paths

Why? We have roads, already!
    2. Make all drivers undergo bi-annual refresher courses in safe driving practice

Bi-annual is excessive. retesting every five years or so would probably suffice.
    3. Make all new drivers take a course in drink driving rehabiblitation before they even get a licence
    Really? Very few drivers drink & drive these days. Why not focus on them rather than targetting the innocent? What about people who don't drink at all?
    4. Ban all HGV and LGVs from busy roads at commuter hours
    I think there might be "unintended consequences" with that. Have you thought it through?
    5. Install satellite controlled speed contol devices to all motor vehicles
    Again, you're targeting the innocent, here. Bear in mind that speed isn't the problem, it's inappropriate use of it that is dangerous. The highest speeds are generally seen on roads that are cycle-free. I don't think a speed cap would help.

How about we raise the speed limit on Motorways to, say, 90mph instead? If traffic levels were reasonable, fast traffic would choose to use a longer (but quicker) route which was cycle free, so cyclist (and pedestrian) lives would be saved.

No? Ah well...

Cheers,
    W.
  • CiB
    Pork Sword wrote:
    If I were Prime Minister I would make it Law that all fit lasses wore see-through knickers and micro skirts and all fat lasses wore a public health warning...!
    Magnificent :lol:, but barking.

Personally I'd like to see poor people done away with for a while. They vote wrong, if at all, they clog up the benefits system and generally look a sight when they gather outside Primart and Burger Kong. At least tidy yourselves up. And vote properly. Come on - get a grip you people. Make an effort.

Arm the rich. I like that.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    ....resign straight away, I have far better things to be doing, like working for an honest living.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Kieran_Burns
    Could all the people posting sensible replies please bugger off to the Road forum? That humourless bunch would welcome you with open arms :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe
    I'm just glad none of us actually wield any power; it's clearly go to our heads... :shock:
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Hoi!

I took the pee first! I demand recognition for being a smug git.

Duly noted KB! :D