He's been withdrawn from the race by HTC:

http://twitter.com/Procycling_mag/status/13143365887
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DaveyL wrote:

Most interesting. Especially after a previous post about how he could do no wrong as far as his team was concerned. What next??? :? :?
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    If they were going to do that, then surely before the TT at the time of his apology would've been best. Ructions with team management behind the scenes or am I reading too much into this?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Blimey.

I would've said donating the prize money would've been enough, but I guess you really don't want to upset Bob.

I wonder if HTC had a word or if this is just Bob being pre emptive?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    dennisn wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Most interesting. Especially after a previous post about how he could do no wrong as far as his team was concerned. What next??? :? :?

That was probably my post. I was referring to the company HTC, not the team. And it was based on a conversation I had at Christmas - things can change.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    I'd say none of us should be "casting stones". We all have "lost it" once or twice in our lives and "flipped" someone off for some imagined or real wrong they have done to our person or persons.

Sure, but I've never done that at work. I take my job seriously, it's not a f***ing hobby...

Never gotten frustrated with someone? Got into a shouting match with a fellow employee? Called a coworker an *sshole??? Never stated your opinion a little to strongly?? Don't know about you but I'm guilty as h*ll.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    PR guff. Cavendish has no chance in the next two stages, so withdrawing him has no material effect on the team's chances of wins and the hand wringers are sated.
  • dennisn
    RichN95 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

That was probably my post. I was referring to the company HTC, not the team. And it was based on a conversation I had at Christmas - things can change.

...in a minute they can change(actually a second). :wink:
  • dennisn
    andyp wrote:
    PR guff. Cavendish has no chance in the next two stages, so withdrawing him has no material effect on the team's chances of wins and the hand wringers are sated.

Very well put. I'll buy that.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    Of course Cav should be meek, humble, polite, and a loser ... you know the type of sportsman favoured by the Great British public !

Like Chris Hoy!

And the other track stars. And our '66 WC winners. And Daley Thompson. And Jonathan Edwards. And Paula Radcliffe. And the rugby and cricket teams when they were good. And Roger Banister. And Chris Boardman. And Bobby Robson. And a very, very long list of others.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

Whoa a second there tiger.

PR at HTC? You're joking? :wink:

They should've made him set the pace in the hills tomorrow to give everyone a good laugh.

Anyone know how much the UCI fined him?
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I'd say none of us should be "casting stones". We all have "lost it" once or twice in our lives and "flipped" someone off for some imagined or real wrong they have done to our person or persons.

Sure, but I've never done that at work. I take my job seriously, it's not a f***ing hobby...

Never gotten frustrated with someone? Got into a shouting match with a fellow employee? Called a coworker an *sshole??? Never stated your opinion a little to strongly?? Don't know about you but I'm guilty as h*ll.

Yes. No. Maybe. Don't know, you'll have to ask my co-workers. But I have never "lost it" or "flipped" in front of a customer, think I'd be clearing my desk if I did that.

Wonder how he would react if he did have a really bad season?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Now I realize I'm old, don't understand "this younger generation", or have completely missed something, but what is the significance of this two finger salute????
    What does it mean, if anything???

Up yours.

That's what it means. I'm not cussing you.

Interesting. Over here it's just the middle finger. No need for two. One says it all.

Lazy c**ts. :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Yes. No. Maybe. Don't know, you'll have to ask my co-workers. But I have never "lost it" or "flipped" in front of a customer, think I'd be clearing my desk if I did that.

Customers? I thought he was flipping off the media(and for that I applaud him - they deserve it on more than a few occasions). :? :?
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Maybe it means something very, very rude in Korean, to stick up two fingers and raising to forearm in that manner??

Bet Bob's HTC phone hasn't stopped ringing since yesterday.
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Customers? I thought he was flipping off the media(and for that I applaud him - they deserve it on more than a few occasions). :? :?

Well you did say "fellow employee" and "coworker", but I've never lost it in front of the media either. But this is splitting hairs. I don't think he should have made the gesture, seems to me he reacts before engaging his brain. OK, some people like that, that's fair enough, but not me. But also I think withdrawing him from the race is a bit weak of his team. Bit of an over-reaction.
  • andyp
    HTC are Taiwanese, not Korean.
  • So which is your favourite?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyc ... ry-salutes

Think I like Flecha's...
  • RichN95.
    So which is your favourite?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyc ... ry-salutes

Think I like Flecha's...

Of those I like Museeuw's. Armstrong's was quite emotional. But on earth is Chris Horner doing? He makes EBH's rubbish look good.
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Anyone know how much the UCI fined him?

" the race jury fined Cavendish 6,000 Swiss francs (£3,844) for making the gesture"
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Cavendish is a Total W&$kr - I really hope someone would kick his head in some day to teach the little upstart a lesson.....typical of the 5'5" MIDGET brigade to have a huge chip on their shoulders this Prick has NO class !!!!
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Go Cav !
    par3206415_600.jpg
    I just got an HTC phone, and tomorrow I'm goin' out to buy some Columbia pants, shoes, shirts, and socks !!!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • RichN95.
    PUBLIC APOLOGY FROM CAVENDISH

30th April 2010 - Please find below an apology that Mark Cavendish wishes to be released today.

"I want to publicly apologize for the gesture I made on the finish line of the Tour de Romandie yesterday. I did want to make a statement to my critics but I realize that making a rude gesture on the finish line is not the best way to do that. I apologize to everybody watching the race and especially the kids. I am not proud of releasing the feelings in that way. I hope I can redeem myself and show my feelings and passion for cycling with some exciting results in the next couple of months rather than with gestures such as the one yesterday."
    Good to see that even Chavendish now accepts that he acted like a total prick. So where does that leave all those who defended his actions? :wink:

OK, I know this post was a few pages back but I'll have a crack at it.

First up, I don't think anyone here thought that what he did was a sensible thing to do. I think everyone would be unanimous in thinking that it would be better if he hadn't done it.

However, while I didn't condone him, I also didn't condemn him. I watch sport as entertainment and as someone who plays sport myself I expect sport to be played within the rules. Beyond that more or less anything goes as far as I'm concern. What goes on on the pitch stays on the pitch. It's sport, people behave badly, it's just down to the adrenaline and hormones. I've seen far worse in Welsh hockey and after a couple of hours it just becomes a pub anecdote.

I watch sport for entertainment and that extends beyond the event itself. Characters, like Cav, liven things up and make it more interesting. I didn't like the pre-ban Ricco, but I was glad he was there. That's all sportsmen are to me. Entertainers. The same as film stars or rock stars - I have my favourites, based on all sorts of random reasons.

Now to Cav's actions specifically. A lot of people condemned him for his actions in the strongest terms. Clearly these people are morally perfect. Well I'm not. I've given the V-sign and it's equivalents on many occasions (mostly to BMW drivers). Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I don't know Cav and he doesn't know me. I'm not his family, friend or work colleague, so surprisingly I don't feel let down by him at all - I'm a fan of him as a cyclist and an off-route entertainer. I'm a big enough boy now that I can handle a little rude behaviour - maybe some of you are not. He doesn't owe me or any fan anything (even though I have a few Colombia T-Shirts. I'm have no right to judge. He hasn't cheated me. He hasn't let me down on any promise.

As I've already pointed out, I'm not perfect. I'm a pretty decent guy as any I know will atest to. But I still have my faults. Therefore, I don't feel that I'm so superior that I can judge other people for what is, in the grand scheme of things, a fairly minor indiscretion. Some people have said his actions are a symptom of Britain's yob culture (which as someone has a lot of experience of one of the alleged hot spots is vastly overstated). But another, more longstanding, British trait is self-righteous indignation. People who have in some way, in their mind, made it, elevated themselves above the prolitariat. They feel this gives them the right to sit on their high horse, tutting and say "Look at the awful youth. Aren't they terrible. What can we do about such riff-raff". Well it's all sanctimonious nonsense.

Then there's the 'role model' to children rubbish. I had my childhood sporting heroes - Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Steve Cram, Tony Cottee, Trevor Brooking and Ian Botham. I mimiced them in the playground but I can't remember looking to any of them for moral guidance. That came from my parents, my teachers and the older boys at school, from whom I learnt the V-sign.

Top level sport is a high pressure, high stress and high adrenaline environment, usually populated by people with certain psychological defects. Under the circumstances they conduct themselves better than I know I would.

(That was pretty long, and largely unfocused, but there you go - in summary I don't think that I'm so great that I can judge the likes of Cav and he amuses me.)
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good to see that even Chavendish now accepts that he acted like a total prick. So where does that leave all those who defended his actions? :wink:
    OK, I know this post was a few pages back but I'll have a crack at it...

Then there's the 'role model' to children rubbish.
    Doubtless your letters of complaint about the withdrawal of Chavendish and his fine are already winging their way to his team management and the UCI.

You try to argue that people with a high public profile should not be expected to behave in a responsible manner and do not have an impact on the attitude of others. For one this seems to run counter the common claim that the existence of successful role models are vital if more children, women and so on are to take up sport. Surely, if this is the case, people are susceptible to being influenced by role models, and what works for the good can also work for the bad. This is not to say that the loutish behaviour of others is any way caused by the likes of Chavendish, or that the primary source of the values people hold are sports stars, but 'bad behaviour' by the 'famous' can help to validate and reinforce the attitudes that people already have.

Similarly, the anti-cycling, pro-speeding rants of people like Jeremy Clarkson do tend to validate and reinforce the selfish and anti-social attitudes of many drivers even though some, as you do with Chavendish, defend him on the basis that he is 'entertaining'. You might like to reflect on this the next time a 'BMW driver' cuts you up...
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    I cannot believe that this gesture was interesting enough to warrant 11 pages of debate.

Cav made a mistake, he's put out his apology. Sadly he has deflected talk of his return to form to his bad behaviour.

I wonder what the boys at Sky thought, I bet it was the exact opposite of what Bob thought. They would love to see Bob getting abit upset with Cav. Or maybe Cav is plotting his escape?
  • iainf72
    I wonder what the boys at Sky thought, I bet it was the exact opposite of what Bob thought. They would love to see Bob getting abit upset with Cav. Or maybe Cav is plotting his escape?

Sky would've done exactly the same thing.

It was a silly little thing, but it was clearly premeditated AND it's typical of a pattern of behaviour. This is only the Tour of Romandie but what would've happened if his first significant win of the year had come in the Tour?

As with all things, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Cavendish is in the public eye and journalists are going to judge and comment on his performances.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Speaking as a Glaswegian (so i know about these matters :wink: ) Cav really needs to grow up. As he 's already said, he's a pro cyclist!!! There is absolutely nothing pro or indeed mature about giving the V sign whilst winning a race. I'm sorry but NO, it's totally classless, offensive and downright embarassing. Everytime he does something like this, i cringe. People would respect and celebrate his victories more if he just showed some class and behaved with some dignity. I used to get annoyed with him, now i just find him pathetic.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Two fingers. So fucking what?

As I have said before; too many people choose to be offended far too often. Go out and ride your bike instead of whining like a bitch on here.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Two fingers. So ******* what?

As I have said before; too many people choose to be offended far too often. Go out and ride your bike instead of whining like a ***** on here.

Because it's unnecessary and offensive. Cav acknowledges that, so do the race organisers and so does his team.

A line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere as to what is publicly acceptable behaviour. Where is your line? are you pro or anti pissing on war memorials?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andyp

A line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere as to what is publicly acceptable behaviour. Where is your line? are you pro or anti pissing on war memorials?

:roll:

Jesus wept. Let's get a sense of perspective here. He stuck two fingers up. That's it.