Cavendish "two finger" signals....

14567810»

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Iain, thanks for the Guardian link- just caught up on the forum. Not enraged, just still very sorry for poor Melissa. Well, probably enraged at him on her behalf, whatever the circumstances, and only two people will ever know those fully. I hope he keeps the dedication in, even if the last chapter is going to have to be re-written.

So, I continue to follow Cav's career with fascination. I admire him for his skill as a sprinter, for his determination as someone who didn't hit the BC numbers but still kept going, and as the ultimate in psychological self belief- if-you-want- that-badly-you-can-achieve philosophy. But without the usual American psychobabble that accompanies it.

But the sort of alpha male who produces these performances is also the type who makes obscene gestures at finish lines, falls out publicly with his co-sprinter in the team, and generally engages mouth before brain.

Yin and yang. If he was a diplomat, he wouldn't be a winner.

What's so engaging about Cav is that he apologizes afterwards. And, as the article says, his apologies appear genuine. He has charisma. And journalists (in the UK anyway) seem to like him- why else didn't they print the gossip that he'd dumped Melissa just before their wedding?

The person who's come out of this glowing is Bob Stapleton. He made the right decision and he made is quickly.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    @FransJacques.
    I almost had to laugh reading your post. What a self righteous load of crap. I love the way you rant about what amounts to courtesy. When a few of us asked you to be courteous over the use of Spoiler, you proceeded to deliberately post a subject line that spoilt other people enjoying a race they were unable to watch live, and further went on to make several pointless off subject digs in various threads about the use of spoiler. Stones and glass houses my man.

@Tusher.
    What's with this Melissa thing you have? Should Cav have stuck with a girl he didn't love to please you, how would that have helped either of them? Live a lie because you feel bad about hurting someone's feelings short term, and possibly ruin a much bigger chink of their life long term?

Anyone.
    Do you think Bob Stapleton would have pulled him from the TdF with wins and publicity of real value at stake. It's easy to do the 'right' thing when there's no real consequence.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Doug, it's because I feel for her. She gave up her job to support him, the hotel was booked and, 4 months before a wedding, the favours, cake and stationery are ordered, the dresses chosen and so on. She was building her life around him and he pulled the rug from under her.

Yes, it's far, far better to break up before a wedding, but that doesn't stop me feeling very sorry for Melissa. And my own sister went through with her wedding just because she didn't want to let every down a few months beforehand, and two years later divorced but remained on good terms with her ex. So, yup, I agree, I see where you're coming from, but I still feel sorry for her. And until the revised book comes out, I'll continue to do so. From the last but one Times or Telegraph interview, I gather they remain on good terms.

Would Bob Stapleton have pulled him from the Tour? Dunno. I think he would have made him donate his prize money though.