Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Simon E you are quite right.

+1
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    PUBLIC APOLOGY FROM CAVENDISH

30th April 2010 - Please find below an apology that Mark Cavendish wishes to be released today.

"I want to publicly apologize for the gesture I made on the finish line of the Tour de Romandie yesterday. I did want to make a statement to my critics but I realize that making a rude gesture on the finish line is not the best way to do that. I apologize to everybody watching the race and especially the kids. I am not proud of releasing the feelings in that way. I hope I can redeem myself and show my feelings and passion for cycling with some exciting results in the next couple of months rather than with gestures such as the one yesterday."

Isn't this just a RP lead apology? And he used to be so intresting,cos he said what he felt.
    I think he's getting a bit boring??
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    johnfinch wrote:
    He did this in a country which is famous for hiding the ill-gotten gains of the world's dictators. He should have just claimed he was making the gesture at the Swiss banks on behalf of the oppressed peoples of the world.
    No need to tell me about the Swiss - I work there! I have found Switzerland to be much like Britain, being parochial, right-wing, hierarchical, authoritarian, inequitable and car obsessed. However they don't have the British sense of humour by way of (partial) compensation.

That said, I would suggest that your knowledge of history is rather incomplete. For example, the head of The Bank of International Settlements - the one that handed over all of Austria's assets when the Nazis asked for them - was headed by the Chairman of the Bank of England. What's more the Nazis were bankrolled by many industrialists in the USA, not least Henry Ford. It's not just Switzerland where 'business is business'.
  • BikingBernie
    Moomin23 wrote:
    He's clean, he's the fastest and he's one of ours, so get behind him!
    Your faith is touching, but that is all it is...
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Cavendish should have been instantly disqualified from that day's stage and not allowed to start the next stage.

What he did was unsportsmanlike and disgraceful behaviour whatever way you look at it.

He is a fantastic rider, but that sort of conduct is inexcusable. I know he apologised, but it's not enough.

The guy was doing a day's work in his chosen career, in front of the world's press, his sponsors and young riders who admire(d) him. He represents cycling and the UK whether he likes it or not.

If any of us did that in a public presentation at work, we should expect to be sacked. He should at least have been removed from the race.

For goodness sake, footballers get penalised just for taking their shirts off in celebration of a goal, because they are expected to behave with decorum and dignity and set a good example.

I am really quite angry about this and very disappointed in someone I hugely admire.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

That said, I would suggest that your knowledge of history is rather incomplete. For example, the head of The Bank of International Settlements - the one that handed over all of Austria's assets when the Nazis asked for them - was headed by the Chairman of the Bank of England. What's more the Nazis were bankrolled by many industrialists in the USA, not least Henry Ford. It's not just Switzerland where 'business is business'.

I know, but Cavendish was racing in Switzerland, not the US or UK. If he'd done it at the Tour of California, it could have been in protest against Arnie's plan to replace school books with electronic "readers". :wink:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Moomin23 wrote:

please advise on your evidence to the contrary..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Ahh...... I find it amusing how delicate some people's sensibilities are.

Valverde can ride races even though he been linked via DNA to doped blood. But Mark Cavendish puts 2 fingers up in a moment of adrenaline-fueled celebration and so many of you want him banned, disqualified, hung from the rooftops, etc.

There are much more important things in cycling to get upset about. Mark Cavendish certainly shouldn't be one of them.
  • Moomin23
    Moomin23 Posts: 77
    Moomin23 wrote:

I suppose you're one of these that can't accept that LA wasn't as good as he is either without drugs?

I think it speaks more about people like yourself that don't believe anything worthwhile could be achieved without cheating your way there. Perhaps it's your own lack of ambition, dedication and effort in your life that makes Cav's feats on the road seem so legitimately unobtainable.

I pity you, I really do, having to live with such bitterness that you never achieved as much in your life as you could have, because maybe you weren't prepared to work hard enough to get it. As with LA, until some kind of proof appears concerning doping et al, you're probably best keeping your ill advised comments to yourself, perhaps, just perhaps, he really is that good eh?
    I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat
  • BikingBernie
    camerone wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:
    :wink:
  • terongi wrote:
    Cavendish should have been instantly disqualified from that day's stage and not allowed to start the next stage.

Interesting, he could be banned from racing for six months!
    The UCI has no regulations against obscene gestures, although it could punish Cavendish under Section 12.1.006, subsection 2 which calls for a one to six month suspension for a rider who “behaves in such a way as to blemish the image, the reputation or the interests of cycling or the UCI.”
  • camerone
    camerone wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:
    :wink:

you need to find a different sport to watch, you really do. he has been grovelling like a dog most of the season...
  • BikingBernie
    Moomin23 wrote:
    I suppose you're one of these that can't accept that LA wasn't as good as he is either without drugs?
    Good troll. The evidence shows that Armstrong's 'wins' were based on Epo use and then, once a test for Epo use had been developed, "800 ml of packed cells" autologous blood doping. Here's a good place to begin your journey to enlightenment...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16226502/Lanc ... ng-History
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ahh...... I find it amusing how delicate some people's sensibilities are.

Valverde can ride races even though he been linked via DNA to doped blood. But Mark Cavendish puts 2 fingers up in a moment of adrenaline-fueled celebration and so many of you want him banned, disqualified, hung from the rooftops, etc.

Bizarre logic!

There doesn't have to be a choice whether to ban Valverde OR reprimand Cav. They are not equivalent in any way. Why can't I be upset about both of them for different reasons?
    There are much more important things in cycling to get upset about. Mark Cavendish certainly shouldn't be one of them.

Yes there are more important things in cycling to get upset about, but we happen to be talking on this thread about Cavendish. Just because there are more important things, doesn't mean we can't talk about less important things.
  • BikingBernie
    camerone wrote:
    you need to find a different sport to watch, you really do. he has been grovelling like a dog most of the season...
    The general rule that anyone who gets on the podium in pro cycling is probably doped has proved it's worth countless times...
  • camerone
    camerone wrote:
    The general rule that anyone who gets on the podium in pro cycling is probably doped has proved it's worth countless times...

but here are riders who are generally viewed as being 'clean' - bizarrely this is usually because of their condemnation of dopers. for example Gilbert, Voekler, Moncoutie are three that spring to mind. they have all stood on podiums (podii?) before, do we assume taking these three as examples that the majority who believe them to be 'clean' are in fact not right?
  • BikingBernie
    camerone wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    but here are riders who are generally viewed as being 'clean' - bizarrely this is usually because of their condemnation of dopers. for example Gilbert, Voekler, Moncoutie are three that spring to mind. they have all stood on podiums (podii?) before, do we assume taking these three as examples that the majority who believe them to be 'clean' are in fact not right?
    OK... 'The general rule that anyone who gets on the podium in pro cycling more than the odd time, or is hailed as being "the best / the fastest / the greatest Tour rider in the world" is probably doped' has proved it's worth countless times...

• You are right in one sense in relation to the Agincourt salute but other countries know what it means just like I knowflicking your hand off the underside of your chin is insulting to Italians. It is a global village we live in.

I never knew that italian thing and I have an Italian uncle :oops: :?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I think the evidence to suggest Cav is clean is overwhelming. He drops out the @rse of the peleton on big hilly stages and succeeds in his sprints on flatter stages where he is well looked after by his team mates and he can then use that blistering pace to win. Just look how he struggled in that first stage the other day. He's not Hushovd who can seemingly go on hilly long breaks one day then carve it up the next on the run in to the line.

He rode back home a couple of weeks ago and did a 10 mile TT. He beat Andrew Roche, a local semi pro, by 20 seconds. The times were 21 + minutes. If he was on the gear I would have expected him to have put more time into Rochie than that.

You could go as far as saying he is a very gifted one trick pony. It isn't meant as an insult it is just reassuring measure of his clean riding.

I
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    terongi wrote:
    For goodness sake, footballers get penalised just for taking their shirts off in celebration of a goal, because they are expected to behave with decorum and dignity and set a good example.

That rule being introduced had nothing to with dignity and decorum. It came about because shirt sponsors were complaining that they weren't getting exposure for their brand when they took the shirt off.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Moomin23 wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:

I think it speaks more about people like yourself that don't believe anything worthwhile could be achieved without cheating your way there. Perhaps it's your own lack of ambition, dedication and effort in your life that makes Cav's feats on the road seem so legitimately unobtainable.

I pity you, I really do, having to live with such bitterness that you never achieved as much in your life as you could have, because maybe you weren't prepared to work hard enough to get it. As with LA, until some kind of proof appears concerning doping et al, you're probably best keeping your ill advised comments to yourself, perhaps, just perhaps, he really is that good eh?
    For the love of God dont start a LA did he/didnt he please!
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    terongi wrote:
    If any of us did that in a public presentation at work, we should expect to be sacked.

To be honest I'm not sure how well it would go down if I entered my next public presentation on a bike at 60 km/h in full team kit and then went and hugged all my colleagues. It's almost as if Cavendish & I have different jobs.

Fundamentally I think sportspeople can pretty much do what they like. I don't think they have a responsibility to spectators at all, whether that's about being entertaining or morally upstanding or even fair. They're just doing their sport and trying to win. We're the ones who choose to watch.

Of course they may have professional obligations to their bosses, but I don't consider that any of my business. And they have moral obligations to their peers, like not cheating. But not to spectators. If I don't like it, I won't watch.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The UCI has no regulations against obscene gestures, although it could punish Cavendish under Section 12.1.006, subsection 2 which calls for a one to six month suspension for a rider who “behaves in such a way as to blemish the image, the reputation or the interests of cycling or the UCI.”
    The UCI would much rather ban a rider for a two-fingered gesture than for violating the ethics and rules of the sport. :(
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Simon E wrote:
    The UCI would much rather ban a rider for a two-fingered gesture than for violating the ethics and rules of the sport. :(
    who says they would rather? They could, doesn't mean they will.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Moomin23 wrote:
    Moomin23 wrote:

I'm sort of with Moomin23 on this one(sorry BB). Once again I'll cast my vote for him being a good person until he isn't. Although I will say that I don't support / not support people simply because they are /aren't "one of ours". That's definitely not my style.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    Just been catching up with this.

The lad is a really a top class poster boy for his sponsors.

He has said at least once that he is a "paid professional. This is not a f****** hobby!"

Clearly he does not take it too seriously.

Bloody Hypocrite.

The kid just goes lower and lower in my estimation.
  • dennisn
    intothe12 wrote:
    Just been catching up with this.

The lad is a really a top class poster boy for his sponsors.

He has said at least once that he is a "paid professional. This is not a f****** hobby!"

Clearly he does not take it too seriously.

Bloody Hypocrite.

The kid just goes lower and lower in my estimation.

Not following you. What does he not take seriously? :? :?
  • dennisn
    Now I realize I'm old, don't understand "this younger generation", or have completely missed something, but what is the significance of this two finger salute????
    What does it mean, if anything???
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    Now I realize I'm old, don't understand "this younger generation", or have completely missed something, but what is the significance of this two finger salute????

Up yours.

That's what it means. I'm not cussing you.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moomin23
    Moomin23 Posts: 77
    dennisn wrote:

I think you just qualified the reason why Cav's American sponsors will not be too upset!
    I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat