30+ North West Club

Comments

• Anyone doing a regular 30 miles now will do 50 no problem. The key is to keep well hydrated and feed well whilst riding.

I'm doing London 2 Paris on the following wednesday so I'll be after a nice easy ride to loosen my legs up. So like I said it would be an all together ride, no heroics, keep together as a group and enjoy the ride.

And your right BB it's a pretty much perfect location for a group ride out for the new club ( if we can get it organised)
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I'm keen to join you guys but being the wrong side of 50, wonder if I'll keep up. I'm doing regular 20 milers ,either on my langster single sp[eed .my road bike or my mountain bike but speed isn't really my thing. Been doing a lot of solo riding as well as most of my friends are either too fat or dead.
  • wonder if I'll keep up

I really wouldn't worry too much; as far as I'm concerned the point of going out in a group is a bit of chat - I'm quite capable of forcing myself into gritted-teeth-death-march mode when solo...

Andy
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    spudgun get on the rivvy 100 with us? the lad i am signed up with is 50 so i would'nt worry about your age.
    on a more light hearted note, every club and team has a name! what would be a good one for us?
    remember dafter the better? :lol:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • How about
    Lancashire Mid Life Crisis RC - LMLCRC
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    The Rivvi 100,please tell me that's not miles :shock:
  • 5pudgun wrote:
    The Rivvi 100,please tell me that's not miles :shock:

Yeah it is :lol:

Luckily for you we're only doing the smaller 50 mile route. If your doing regular 20's like you say the step up to 50 isn't that great a jump. Honest!

Cycle at a nice pace and rhythm keep swigging away at your drinks and make sure you start eating from about 30 mins into the ride with gels or flapjacks etc... You'll do it more easier than you'd believe you could.
  • dcab
    just had a set back damaged my calf this aft! I'm now on crutches waiting to see a pysio?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • dcab
    just had a set back damaged my calf this aft! I'm now on crutches waiting to see a pysio?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    http://www.ribblevalleycrc.com/

Have a look at the above club's website. New members welcome all the time. Several different rides to cater for all abilities.

Why not turn up and give it a try?
    Luke
  • shortyman
    shortyman Posts: 48
    Another late comer to this thread!

I'm Preston way, over 30, and just getting the hang of road riding (got the bike last November, and managed the Bay Dash). Like a lot of others on this thread I'm a shift worker so can't commit to weekends but weekdays not too bad.

Can't make the Rivi 100 as doing the Round Roses instead.

Is there something happening on Wednesday?
  • How about

How about Lancashire Mid Life Crisis Cycling Club instead?

Andy
  • dcab wrote:

Fingers crossed its only a soft tissue injury which is quickly remeded for you.

Let's us know how it goes. Good luck fella.
  • How about

How about Lancashire Mid Life Crisis Cycling Club instead?

Andy

Sounds good :D
  • shortyman wrote:
    Another late comer to this thread!

I'm Preston way, over 30, and just getting the hang of road riding (got the bike last November, and managed the Bay Dash). Like a lot of others on this thread I'm a shift worker so can't commit to weekends but weekdays not too bad.

Can't make the Rivi 100 as doing the Round Roses instead.

Is there something happening on Wednesday?

We're trying to get a bit of a meeting going just to say hello and work out how to go about things.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    5pudgun wrote:
    I'm keen to join you guys but being the wrong side of 50, wonder if I'll keep up. I'm doing regular 20 milers ,either on my langster single sp[eed .my road bike or my mountain bike but speed isn't really my thing. Been doing a lot of solo riding as well as most of my friends are either too fat or dead.

Think if your doing 20 milers on single speed you'll be fine with gears :D

I'm putting in my Rivvy entry this week, so no excuse to back out.

dcab............hope the calf is ok.
  • dcab
    just struck me- is it a calf or a calve? Does'nt matter anyway all this peddling they will be cows in no time!

LMLCCC - wots this ? roman numerals of our combined ages :lol:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • dcab
    just struck me- is it a calf or a calve? Does'nt matter anyway all this peddling they will be cows in no time!

LMLCCC - wots this ? roman numerals of our combined ages :lol:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • shortyman
    shortyman Posts: 48
    dcab wrote:
    spudgun get on the rivvy 100 with us? the lad i am signed up with is 50 so i would'nt worry about your age.
    on a more light hearted note, every club and team has a name! what would be a good one for us?
    remember dafter the better? :lol:

Halfway There CC
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Back from Mull, trying to sign up to that darn yahoo thing.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Huffin & Puffin Cycling Club

HP
    CC

:D
  • dcab
    has anyone checked out horwich cycle club?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    dcab wrote:
    has anyone checked out horwich cycle club?

Nope, I'm to afraid, joining the running club was bad enough :D but at least I knew what I was in for. Its not like going out on a bike and being droppped or something 10 miles out (not that i'm suggesting they would do that) Besides wouldnt I have to wear loads of lycra and stuff :shock:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    re: Club name - how about 49CC
    ...roughly the average age, roughly the average mileage per ride, and roughly the combined power output of those taking part! :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I like it. But 50cc seems to fall off my tongue better. 49.cc and 50.cc domains are taken anyway. (Or maybe just invalid; I got a domain parking page)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ellie.velo
    ellie.velo Posts: 33
    Hi guys, I've read this thread with interest! I've recently moved to Clayton-le-woods, and am an unfit cyclist who needs to get fit again! I have no idea on good routes or clubs around this area, and would love to meet people who can put up with my unfitness and lack of local knowledge- the only problem is I'm under 30, so can't really join your club!
  • dcab
    ellie-velo,if you've read all this post you will know im in chorley and as i have said to others you are welcome to tag on with me!
    The down side of this being i am on sticks at the moment but should be up and riding soon,touch wood.
    veritas vos liberabit
  • the only problem is I'm under 30, so can't really join your club!

It comes to us all in the end, and I am sure it's just a guide anyway (though I stand to be corrected).

Andy
  • ellie.velo
    ellie.velo Posts: 33
    dcab Thanks for the offer, your few unfortunate weeks on sticks may be a good thing for me- I am quite unfit (havent been on the bike since I moved up here!) and am away on holiday in a few weeks. So will give you time to remove the sticks :D
  • Ellie.velo i'm sure the 30 thing isn't set entirely in stone. Unless your still at school in which case you can sod off :wink:

Guys I have to ditch on the wed meeting as i've no child care due to problems with cars. I'm free next week though if anything gets arranged for then.

sorry :(