30+ North West Club

Comments

• Nah if this gets up and running jump on board straight away. It's amazing how well you can improve when your with others. I always ride a slower avg when I'm on my own. I think being with others gets the adrenaline, testosterone going abit better etc..... and your cycling avg, distance etc.... improves really quickly.

Plus you get to learn other important stuff like making sure you hydrate properly and eat properly as well as road craft.

You'll be suprised how quickly you eat the miles up when you have others to chat to as you ride.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Right this defo needs setting up been solo riding now all year and would be great to get some group experience. I suggest a non cycling meet for an hour in a pub so we can get something going and agree a couple of dates and rides rather than trying to organise rides on a sporadic messaging forum.

What do u think?
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I think being with others gets the adrenaline, testosterone going abit better etc..... .

Sorry but i can't help but think of this (right at the end)
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    is this going anywhere?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I've been waiting for bunneh to say something- it is his baby after all.

I'm on AL all week so could arrange to meet up if we can get something sorted. Apart from wed as that's the missus birthday.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm in Lancaster, so probably a bit far away for this club to be feasible; and I haven't actually given the local road clubs a try yet. But I think it's a great idea; it sometimes seems that the local CTC are "too slow" and the road clubs are "too fast" or unwelcoming to new faces (which is stupid, as without new faces they'll whither and die, but anyway...). Something pitched to fill the perceived gap in the middle sounds like a plan to me.

(WRT road clubs being unwelcoming to new faces, I've never experienced it first-hand; in fact, all the people I know from my local clubs seem very friendly guys. My reluctance to go out with them is more to do with standing the pace and managing to ride for 80 miles, rather than the 40-50 I tend to do on my own).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I'd have been on for something today if it hadn't been for a prearranged Bingley - Hebden Bridge grind across the moors on the 'other' bike (I am glad of suspension travel, even if it's only 110mm...)

Might be on for something later in the week, but this rather depends on how many jobs my wife finds for me in the meantime :-/

Andy
  • mr_poll
    Agent57 - Your not that far away, I honestly see this as an informal club where if we only see a face once or twice a month for a weekend ride then that would be fine - even if u just used this as a way to get used to group riding before jumping to a more local serious club then fine. Not that this isnt serious and some fly by night thing, just get the impression that it isnt going to be that regimented so casual members are welcome.

OK I have been waiting for BUNNEH to post too, and I am sure he will but this will lose momentum if we dont push on. I would love to get this sorted quickly but common sense says we need to give people time to A - See the posting and B - Organise themselves.

So why dont we set up a meeting - non riding related to organise ourselves a week on Wednesday - thats the 5th May. Sort of Horwich area?
  • 5th of may sounds good to me. It's my birthday on the 6th does that mean I get free drinks off my new cycling chums? :P
  • I'm going out for a ride tomorrow with a mate. 56 miles setting off at 10am if anyone fancies it.

I can put the route up if anyone wants to see it. It's acty a good route for starting out from bury heywood rochdale ramsbottom haslingden even darwin
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    yes please, put the route up! i'm working tomorrow, but always interested in northbound outings from bury otherwise.
  • http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=122298

There you go fella I did it for the first time on Saturday. It was a really nice route. It would be much harder in the opposite direction ( bury to rochdale way) as it would mean tackling "The Rake" in Rammy instead of going down it like I did.
  • mr_poll
    Right the 5th it is - please post if you up for meeting me and Fungus then in order to get the ball rolling.

Fungus in my neck of the woods the birthday boy buys the drinks the day before his birthday :)

Venue to be decided closer to the time.
  • Can't do the 5th, but please let me know if you want me to (continue to) organise the mailing list thing (or not).

Andy
  • Desmos4
    Desmos4 Posts: 5
    I'm working lates that week so won't be able to make it
    Keep us posted about how it goes

Think the mailing list is a good idea 'specially for such an informal club as this

Cheers Desmo
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Right the 5th it is - please post if you up for meeting me and Fungus then in order to get the ball rolling.

Fungus in my neck of the woods the birthday boy buys the drinks the day before his birthday :)

Venue to be decided closer to the time.

Typical :roll: :wink::lol:
  • Bit of a bump and to see if bunneh is around anywhere and if anyone else fancies tagging onto this?

Come on guys. There's always posts about people who are unsure about joining a club etc.... this is the perfect chance to join into a newly forming club with like minded people.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Bit late jumping on this thread.

I'm in Chorley.

Sadly won't see 40 again :( never mind 30. Just started back riding this week (don't do winters anymore!!! :oops: )

This informal club seems spot on & I'd be up for a meet once I get my miles back up.

Keep us informed
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Im living right near this catchment area and have two or three work pals who have just got into cycling (30+ too). I shall mention this to them, sounds like fun however they are up at the crack of dawn riders and like to set off around 8am.
  • dcab
    im in chorley butcher boy, give us a shout if you want someone to ride with?
    p.s. ive gone past the 40 mark so thats not a problem :lol:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Mailing list update:

To subscribe email 30plusNWC-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

Andy

Anyone wanting to jump on board then subscribe to this email so we can get a group started.

I think anyone who's on the M60 circle would be ok joining this group as well as us further north.

I for instance would be more than willing to meet up with us north Manchester lot and ferry down in my car to south Manchester for a ride. It would give us a huge amount of available riding from the flatter Cheshire pains to the hills of both the Pennines and the Peaks.
  • Garz wrote:
    Im living right near this catchment area and have two or three work pals who have just got into cycling (30+ too). I shall mention this to them, sounds like fun however they are up at the crack of dawn riders and like to set off around 8am.

Hey nowt wrong with that. I regularly get up at 6.30 at the weekend to get out for 8am
  • butcher_boy
    Mailing list update:

To subscribe email 30plusNWC-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

Andy

Anyone wanting to jump on board then subscribe to this email so we can get a group started.

I think anyone who's on the M60 circle would be ok joining this group as well as us further north.

I for instance would be more than willing to meet up with us north Manchester lot and ferry down in my car to south Manchester for a ride. It would give us a huge amount of available riding from the flatter Cheshire pains to the hills of both the Pennines and the Peaks.

Email sent

Cheers
  • butcher_boy
    dcab wrote:
    im in chorley butcher boy, give us a shout if you want someone to ride with?
    p.s. ive gone past the 40 mark so thats not a problem :lol:

Top man

Cheers.
  • So is it just me and Mr Poll meeting up next week?

Bunneh was just reading your blog. Chapeau old chap for giving the rake a go! I went down it the other day. I'm wondering if my legs have got it in them to do it the proper way as it would be virtually dead half way on the 54 mile route I've done this past few days.
  • dcab
    where you meeting ?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I think we were just waiting to see who can make it and then aim for somewhere central.

I don't think around bolton somewhere will be to far off the mark.
  • I've just had a thought would the shorter route of the Rivvy 100 be a good place to have a meet up and ride if we can't get anything sorted before then? It would give everyone who fancies joining plenty of time to get organised for it (with the missus or work etc..)

What ya all think? No rush do it together as a leisurely ride. No heroics etc...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15865951
  • dcab
    works for me
    veritas vos liberabit
  • butcher_boy
    I've just had a thought would the shorter route of the Rivvy 100 be a good place to have a meet up and ride if we can't get anything sorted before then? It would give everyone who fancies joining plenty of time to get organised for it (with the missus or work etc..)

What ya all think? No rush do it together as a leisurely ride. No heroics etc...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15865951

Better get my finger out if I want to be ready for that in 6 weeks :shock: but up for it.

Not really much excuse location wise :wink: