Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Back on the bike again today ... 2nd week running!!

Ok - I've done a couple of Turbo sessions - but they don't really count ... back on the road is where it is! :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Back on the bike today for first time since before Christmas - had a really bad chest infection/Bronchitis all through christmas and into new year, kept me off the bike until now.

Absolute bliss to be back on two wheels...like being born anew

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • slowbike
    yay :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Slowbike wrote:

Ok - I've done a couple of Turbo sessions - but they don't really count ... back on the road is where it is! :)

LOL me too, were you ill or lazy or did you have a proper excuse? :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • slowbike
    SecretSam wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

LOL me too, were you ill or lazy or did you have a proper excuse? :twisted:

SImilar excuse to you - flu since Christmas - turned into a cough - went skiing - coughed so much I strained muscles in my chest - had to wait for that to come down to a sensible level before getting back on the bike. This is my second commute this year... Strava has registered <25miles for me this year (cycling) - that's last commute + one short turbo session.
  • slowbike
    Paw Patrol, we're on a roll ....

2nd day in a row and 3rd time on my bike this week ... boy have I lost condition!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Chain Reaction.

Bought some of their Prime disk wheels a while back (light, cheap and appear to be doing the job for commuting, so far so good) and put them on the Inflite.

I've just stripped the Inflite frame and swapped it for a Genesis Vapour CCX which has thru axles instead of QRs. That's ok because both my CX wheelsets can be converted. Except I can't find the adapters for the Prime wheels. I've had a clear out of my garage (the level of disorganisation of which is a metaphor for the rest of my life) and I have a suspicion that I've binned them.

Dropped Prime an email to see if I could purchase some replacements (bear in mind that the DT Swiss ones were £30 a wheel) and they are sending me a set for free. I'm just paying postage. All organised in less than 3 working hours too.

Top stuff from CRC.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    There's obviously a cyclist in Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown team - 2 out of 2 submissions I've done for close passes have resulted in action - ok, only a letter to the registered keeper - but to be fair, the passes, whilst dangerous, were non-aggressive and I can only assume that's the first instance of the vehicle being reported.

Thanks Operation Crackdown :) we know the police can't be everywhere all the time - but at least you're using technology to good advantage
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Slowbike wrote:
    There's obviously a cyclist in Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown team - 2 out of 2 submissions I've done for close passes have resulted in action - ok, only a letter to the registered keeper - but to be fair, the passes, whilst dangerous, were non-aggressive and I can only assume that's the first instance of the vehicle being reported.

Thanks Operation Crackdown :) we know the police can't be everywhere all the time - but at least you're using technology to good advantage

I've never had no action from Operation Crackdown at all and I've submitted a fair few reports. I think all of them were letters sent to registered keeper. I guess there's no potential harm to the force if they send a letter and the keeper/driver disputes it as well they haven't been charged - though it may be kept as evidence for the future.

It's swings and roundabouts... while they're more likely to send a letter I'd rather they'd actually taken some action for the more serious incidents like Kent/Berkshire have in the past.

Edit: actually the last one I reported to them (I tend to only bother now if I thought it was properly ridiculous) they said "A formal warning letter has been sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. This report was looked at with a view to a prosecution but has been deemed more suitable for a formal warning." So, still a letter but they had thought about going further.

I just checked another old one. Seems the status has changed from letter sent to "This report has been disputed by the registered keeper of the vehicle - No further action will be taken." In that particular incident a van driver almost hit me as he didn't wait for oncoming traffic to pass before mildly overtaking me (half a foot gap) Not sure what his dispute was but seems it was valid enough for them to remove the record...
  • slowbike
    Interesting use of double negatives ... thought those went out last decade ... ;)

Yes - it's swings and roundabouts - but think about it - there's more to the report than the immediate result - they (the police) can start gathering stats on the details of the report - not only for the vehicles involved, but also the time of day and location - both my reports are from the same 1/4mile stretch - and both from the same time of day (going to work). If they started receiving reports for that location and time of day far more frequently then they may think it suitable to take a visit to the area and see if they can establish why the close passes are occurring.
    Obviously, I have no idea if they are doing this - but the possibility is there.

As for the dispute - I checked the old one - from Nov last year - it's still on Formal Warning Letter - so it hasn't be disputed. But then I'm not sure how they could dispute it - there's clear video evidence - so it's not as though it's my word against theirs - the police officer can see what occurred - including the positioning of the vehicle on the road up to the incident.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Our car that my wife crashed last Tuesday (destroying radiator and front bumper) has been repaired, and is back on the road. The repair was surprisingly straightforward. All the parts that I ordered from eBay to fix it were as described, arrived undamaged, and fitted perfectly first time, which has got to be a first!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Our car that my wife crashed last Tuesday (destroying radiator and front bumper) has been repaired, and is back on the road. The repair was surprisingly straightforward. All the parts that I ordered from eBay to fix it were as described, arrived undamaged, and fitted perfectly first time, which has got to be a first!
    5 star feedback for sending you what you paid for in a not unreasonable amount of time?
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Rhodrich wrote:
    5 star feedback for sending you what you paid for in a not unreasonable amount of time?

Indeed! I gave my 5* feedback this morning.

You can guarantee that if you've got a project that relies on a number of different things that need to be purchased from Amazon, eBay or similar, that there's always at least one thing that either doesn't arrive when it says it will, as it's coming from China, despite the listing not saying so.

Either that, or what does arrive is made of cheap and nasty plastic that doesn't fit, and is not fit for purpose.

Then there's the stuff that you buy that's perfect, but doesn't work for what you need it for, like the 110 bottom bracket that I bought for a chainset that's listed as using a 110mm bottom bracket, but turned out to need a 116mm one. (I had to buy a 113 as well in order to work that one out)

Then there's the stuff that you buy that's not what you expected, as you failed to read the listing properly (like the chain that was such great value, as it only had 100 links....)

Finally, there's the stuff that you buy that arrives on time and fits perfectly, but turns out not to fix the problem, which you then can't send back, as you've fitted it. (I'm looking at you, Mr laptop screen which didn't fix the problem, as it turned out to be the video card that was dead)
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Found the Exposure TraceR that I lost at work a few weeks ago. It was even charged. Winner.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yesterday on the way in to work. On the Leeds Bradford Cycle "Super" Highway. Waiting a red pelican crossing (unlike the rider just ahead of me) - Mincab minibus next to me. At this point, I rejoin the road as there is a roundabout in a couple of hundred yards and the cycle lane goes a bit bonkers from here on (getting tangled up with pavement, parked cars, Aldi supermarket before turning left before it reaches the roundabout where I turn right) - if there are cars nearly on me I wait but otherwise I just get into the road and move to the centre of the road a bit earlier than I would otherwise to indicate to traffic why I am not on the cycle lane. In this case, I expected the minibus to be slow away from the lights and it was so I got into the road and pedalled on. You can guess what happens next - a hoot, a shoulder check and a view of a taxi tw*t waving and pointing at the cycle lane that he'd only moments before seen me deliberately leave. At this point, rather than get cross, I decided to just explain why I was in the road by indicating right with my arm and moving gracefully to the right side of the lane. At the same time, I hear the engine note of the taxi rise and I realise he now wants to overtake (having expended a perfectly good opportunity to do so before in favour of the gesticulating).

So, I decide he can go round the outside of me at which point I hear another car hoot - another minibus taxicab coming the other way objecting to the prospect of a head on crash with my chap who hadn't bothered to check the road was clear ahead.

Sadly, a nice low speed head on crash (enough to remove two minicabs from the road but not enough to cause significant injury) didn't happen but hopefully he suffered at least an unexpected bowel movement. Karma can apply.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'm loving the Exposure Strada 600 and its remote, my commute which is 11ish miles is a mixture of shared bike paths, parks and some back roads mostly, so a mixture of well lit to pitch dark. having a light that on low and to a lesser extent medium settings doesn't blind is nice, though I mostly coped by shielding the light before, I meet very few others.

compared to the Magicshine 858 it has a friendly beam shape and the remote means its very easy to on the fly alter the setting, I default to low using the high setting for when I need to see. it''s also a lot less hassle, less cables and what not.

It doesn't have the punch for one wooded, potholed section at night. but to be honest thats beyond really what it's expected of it, nice light I like.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Big yellow circular thing in the sky.

That's visible on the ride into work and the ride home...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Big yellow circular thing in the sky.

That's visible on the ride into work and the ride home...
    It was quite pleasant this morning, it was hazy enough that I could stare directly at it, and didn't have to worry about careless drivers behind me using it as an excuse for running me over.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Permission to buy N+1.

Shame it's only a pub hack.. max of £50!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Permission to buy N+1.

Then you can do Triggers broom ;)
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Permission to buy N+1.

Then you can do Triggers broom ;)

Possibly, but I've realised that I really need a proper pub hack bike - for trips to the shops/pub, rather than running a diesel for a 2mile trip, and my other bikes are "very" noticeable compared to the ones that are used by most.

Of course, now that I'm looking I've just seen a beautiful vintage Peugeot that's I really want in price range, but wouldn't be happy leaving that as a pub bike!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I had that exact problem. I now own a lovely Peugeot and walk to the shops/pub.
  • wolfsbane2k
    TimothyW wrote:
    I had that exact problem. I now own a lovely Peugeot and walk to the shops/pub.

hahaa. At least you still get to the pub!
    Spend a few hours digging into "vintage" Peugeots, which I've never, ever looked at before. The one I've seen is, I think, a 1981 UE8 frame, and is massively overpriced for what it is, but...
  • slowbike
    The Slowbike family went green this morning - I rode in to work, and Mrs Slowbike took Little Slowbike to pre-school by bike .. No diesel consumption this morning! :)
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    Was easier than normal this morning... roads gritted, no motorbikes whizzing past and able to sit in primary without getting abuse from drivers. More snow please
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited March 2018
    Loved the ride home in an inch of snow last night. Studded tyres were definitely needed.

On the back roads i was so quiet I snuck up on loads of wildlife, including a buzzard, sparrowhawk, egret/stork and 3 deer. When in town, i was faster than most of the traffic, which was sliding about. Laughed out loud after being asked "why are you cycling in this" by a per while waiting at lights, to then overtake the queue of traffic to trying to climb the hill... At the front was a defender, slipping over the place!

Drivers were not amused, while I had the biggest grin on my face for a while ( hidden under a buff!)
  • wolfsbane2k
    Double post
  • slowbike
    yer ok ok - don't rub it in - my studded tyres are up in the garage loft whilst the bike they go on is at the in-laws for storage whilst we sort the garage out ... so whilst I could've ridden yesteday, I didn't - as I didn't feel 23mm tyres were appropriate for the conditions!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    yer ok ok - don't rub it in - my studded tyres are up in the garage loft whilst the bike they go on is at the in-laws for storage whilst we sort the garage out ... so whilst I could've ridden yesteday, I didn't - as I didn't feel 23mm tyres were appropriate for the conditions!

Well that's just bad planning!
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Well that's just bad planning!

It wasn't planned (part of the problem) - decorating and other home tasks kinda took over ...