Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Velco tyres.

Aka Studded tyres ( marathon winters in my case). The few drivers silly enough to use the non-gritted rural roads resulted in cars slipping all over the place, and I just went zipping ( or is that snap, crackle and popping) past.

+1

You don't realise how good then are until you get off the bike. And slip over. And love the sound they make on ice and tarmac...like having your own portable gravel drive sound effect.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Seeing the temperature was up to 6 degrees this morning, I rode again to work. May have been rainy, but my new Pearl Izumi Amfibs were a godsend. The over-0vershoes are brilliant.

The ride back home, however, was fraught with peril. Temps close to freezing and a good amount of sleet/hail made it super treacherous. However, despite almost losing the front at 10 km/h, and doing a great drift at a similar speed later on, I somehow got home with my pride, my Mac & my clothings intact. Chapeau!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ... and back on the bike after 2 weeks off - due to weather/family commitments ... and a very pleasant ride it was - a few drops of rain to remind me it is winter - but nothing to get wet with. No close passes from cars/lorries and the only bad thing that happened was the Aldi Rear camera/light beeped and turned off with a couple of miles to go... oh well - charge it up at work and see how it goes later.

And it's not long till Christmas when Little SB gets his new wheels !! :) I think I'm more excited than he is.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Loving winter commuting right now. Beautiful frosty and snowy countryside slowly appearing in the dawn, the sense of security from the studs on roads (even main ones) with black and white ice, temperature felt just right the whole way - not too cold on the descents, -2.5 is relatively mild for just recently, not too hot on the climbs. Rare day taking it easy as I'm riding again tomorrow, something I don't normally do. Fixed hip getting back to full strength and mobility.
    Just great to be out and about on a bike, whatever the time of year or weather.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:
    ... and back on the bike after 2 weeks off - due to weather/family commitments ... and a very pleasant ride it was - a few drops of rain to remind me it is winter - but nothing to get wet with. No close passes from cars/lorries and the only bad thing that happened was the Aldi Rear camera/light beeped and turned off with a couple of miles to go... oh well - charge it up at work and see how it goes later.

And it's not long till Christmas when Little SB gets his new wheels !! :) I think I'm more excited than he is.

Were you riding in the dark? I've had that a few times in the dark where the motion detection system thinks it's not moved for 15 minutes. Addressed in the latest firmware (171026_V3), but unfortunately also disables the "lying on it's side/accident detection" system.

http://quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Na - about 0830 ish - plenty of light ... just a double beep and it turned off... I always run with a backlight + this one - so no real problem.
  • slowbike
    Hmm - just downloaded it - but ... does the new firmware allow for overwriting older video files? Mine does atm ... don't really want to lose that just for the sake of it turning off now and again...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm - just downloaded it - but ... does the new firmware allow for overwriting older video files? Mine does atm ... don't really want to lose that just for the sake of it turning off now and again...

Yep, still does that ok.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Last Wednesday after the rain had stopped I'm riding along a shared use path beside the road and WVM decides to drive through a puddle near the gutter and covers me in water from head to toe, I wasn't best impressed, luckily I have a camera front and rear and the rear caught the VRN before the incident. Reported it online with footage and now a NIP is on it's way to the driver :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • drhaggis
    On the commute back home yesterday, a rubbish collection lorry had indicated to turn left while the traffic light ahead was red. I was almost at his rear when the lights went green. I slowed down to let him go, checked his mirror, and there he was, carefully checking for potential cyclists on the bike lanke.

Well done, unknown driver, and thank you for that extra bit of care!
  • wolfsbane2k
    redvee wrote:
    Last Wednesday after the rain had stopped I'm riding along a shared use path beside the road and WVM decides to drive through a puddle near the gutter and covers me in water from head to toe, I wasn't best impressed, luckily I have a camera front and rear and the rear caught the VRN before the incident. Reported it online with footage and now a NIP is on it's way to the driver :)

Wow. Which police force is that?
  • redvee
    redvee wrote:

Wow. Which police force is that?

Avon & Somerset force, had Tuesday off and burned the footage to a DVD and went into a local station to report it and the girl on the desk said report it here after giving me a website address and we'll use it to gather statistics then said it won't be in the public interest to take things further but I'm public and interested in seeing it go further, I walked and and dropped the disc in the first bin knowing I had another webpage available. Think the time period from uploading footage to response email was about 4 hours.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just clocked that on my ride home tonight I'll have done 50,000 KM logged to strava.

Or 50 million metres, if you prefer it that way.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    TimothyW wrote:
    Just clocked that on my ride home tonight I'll have done 50,000 KM logged to strava.

I would prefer it as 5 million double decker buses, or just under 80,000 jumbo jets, or 185 times the length of Wales.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    bompington wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

I would prefer it as 5 million double decker buses, or just under 80,000 jumbo jets, or 185 times the length of Wales.
    The cycling gods made me work for it - punctured, then popped gear cable on setting off again!
  • Rain today notwithstanding, there are uglier commutes in the world.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-41.1904 ... 312!8i6656
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Durham police being massively helpful for a work colleague who was knocked off his bike this morning.

Branded van pulled off a classic left hook (no indicators, cycle lane) and took off without stopping to see if mate was ok. Luckily he is.

Rap on the knuckles on the way, hopefully twice (police and employer) which should improve his driving....in his work van at least.
  • Long term lurker on the forum so hi to all.

Recently (since last October) started commuting through Bristol again after many years off. Now cycle from North Bristol through the city centre and out to the South, approx 8.5 miles.

Just wanted to note my appreciation of the van driver who stopped to let me though on a road in Southville as I was coming up a small climb. Ho could probably have fitted through as well but did the decent thing and gave me some space.

Faith restored.
  • The gods must be shining on me.

Going round St James Barton roundabout in Bristol this morning when a Megabus pulls out right across me. Following a clearly mouthed display of my upset to the driver when I got round the other side of the bus he had leant forward to give me a wave to say sorry. Wasn't expecting that.

Felt a bit mean for clearly calling him a kn0b!!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Just had an email from "Hmrc Tax Rebate" (customermail4@virginmedia.com) telling me (and 200 other people who have similar email addresses) that i'm entitled to a tax rebate. All i have to do is follow a link to make an online application including telling them all my bank details!

They need my bank details because, and i quote "may bank required extra verification".

That money will really come in handy as I need some spending money for my holiday next week.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • redvee
    As well as having an online sub for Thunderball tickets I buy Lotto, Euromillions and more Thunderball tickets over the counter and keep them for 3 months before checking them. Checked them tonight going back to mid December a few winners totalling £66 :D
  • drhaggis
    redvee wrote:
    As well as having an online sub for Thunderball tickets I buy Lotto, Euromillions and more Thunderball tickets over the counter and keep them for 3 months before checking them. Checked them tonight going back to mid December a few winners totalling £66 :D

And how much's that after you subtract the cost of the tickets? And what about the previous three months?
  • slowbike
    Back on my bike last night after over a month of not being well enough - ok, only a turbo session - but it was back riding.

Now to work on getting my fitness back.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Incredibly happy to be riding the MTB today with marathon winters fitted - took a slightly heavier traffic'ed route to avoid a particularly troublesome spot that's usually frozen solid. Only to find a section with 100m sheet ice caused by a leaking pipe.
    Some drivers were very tenderly sliding around on it, and I just rode straight across!
  • slowbike
    you want some spiked tyres .. they're excellent.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:

Marathon winters are spiked.

Which is why I was so happy ;)
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Marathon winters are spiked.

Which is why I was so happy ;)

Doh! :o
  • slowbike
    And a commute by bike - my first this year - my first ride on the road this year - my first ride this year ...

Good to be back on the saddle? Well - I didn't push it because I knew it would be hard - still made a reasonable time though.
  • Yay past-self!

You’re a diamond! When I came to change the cleats on my shoes today, you’d done a great job of copper-slipping the bolts. Came out with little to no swearing.

Now, am I going to be as nice to my future self? :roll:
  • wolfsbane2k
    Clever bugger me buying two pairs of winter gloves from Aldi 2 years ago, with the first pair dead now due to loss of waterproofing.

And I even remembered exactly where I put them.