Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Used my Aldi rear light/camera to record LSB on his balance bike - chasing me .. :)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Low hanging branches over cycling pathways along A4 have been cut a while ago. No more slow-mo Cavendish sprint reenactments! Wait, should that be a rant, then
  • Tubeless tyres are fantastic. Got savaged by the fairy in Musselburgh so badly that the sealant was unable to seal it alone - spent a few minutes with my finger pressed against the tyre to give it a chance. Thanks to the guy who stopped to offer assistance - he looked really confused when I said thanks but no thanks since it'd fix itself in a bit :)

Sure enough a couple of minutes later it was fine to ride again - albeit at 30 PSI!
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Got some use of my new overshoes today. The weather was crap, but my feet were warm and dry. How did I cycle without these before?
  • drhaggis
    On the way back home, a taxi driver very kindly gave me way on a lane merging at Haymarket (Edinburgh) instead of using his crimson LTI as a weapon to assert his authority. Yes. A kind taxi driver at rush hour. Thank you!
  • slowbike
    On my travels on a wednesday morning I go down a shortcut - single track road with rough passing places - it's not long - but long enough to need the passing places ...

This morning - I met an Audi - fairly low slung - who pulled alongside a passing place (on her side of the road) then stopped ... I stopped and guestured to the passing place ... it took a couple of minutes for her to realise that I wasn't going to budge and she should use the passing place ...
    If you're going to take a shortcut down single track roads with passing places you need to be prepared to use them ... silly woman!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Finally got to listing some bits on Ebay Sunday evening and sold them all by 09:30 Monday morning, two went in the post by 10:00 and the other was delivered on my way to work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DJFish
    DJFish Posts: 49
    On my ride home last night I discovered London Wall was closed Eastbound, so I asked the chaps manning the barriers if it was closed all the way along, they said yes & rather than the usual London response I simply thanked them and set off walking the long way round.
    That's when they said "Of course if you want to ride down, we didn't see you.....just mind the big holes."
    I made my train with minutes to spare, sometimes it pays to be nice to people.
  • redvee
    A friend put a new tyre on his bike today and updated me later saying it took him ages and cost him in donations to the swear box as it did for the tyre. He was fitting a Marathon tyre :lol:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I was run over by an articulated lorry carrying sheep - presumably going on a package holiday. As I was bleeding out and immediately prior to expiring I managed to write a cheque to the haulage company for the damage and inconvenience. I managed to get to a live rail and evaporated myself to save the inconvenience of a funeral.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    First day back after 2 weeks off with knackered back.
    Beautiful morning, goldilocked the kit selection : 3/4 shorts with MTB shorts on top, merino baselayer + SS top with armwarmers and full finger gloves.
    Apart from 2 frigging close passes in 1/2 a mile, an absolutely cracking ride through the frosty hollows.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Richmond Park on a sunny morning.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    London during an apocalyptic nuclear strike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Ah, when you are passed by some moron in a blue 'vet' minivan tooting his horn and gesticulating that you should be in the gutter/door zone... When he passes you just to come to a complete halt at the back of the queue in front of him... That is sweet.

You might like to imagine the gestures and verbal he received as I sailed past and on up the road...
  • redvee
    Took a Series 5 Boris bike for a spin on Tuesday when I was up in London and found that with the working brakes I could ride at a decent speed knowing I'd be able to stop, and overtook a guy on a folder with SPDs and GoPro on a chest mount and Karma Gimbal and reminded him he should be overtaking me, not the other way round. Then he put in some effort and left me behind.
  • slowbike
    nipped past two blokes up a little hill this morning ... unusual for me to see another cyclist let alone pass them - and never uphill ....
    ok - I did have the benefit of the drop into the dip beforehand - they came out the sideroad on the left ...
    but ... I did make it stick - they didn't catch me :)
  • drhaggis
    The L/S Pefetto I bought in late August's been bloody brilliant. The windproofness and hydrophobic surface have made my commute + w/e rides sooo much less unpleasant, together with the overshoes. Now I need to buy some bibtights made of the same stuff.

BTW, how could I live without overshoes before?
  • wolfsbane2k
    I've never been happier for a set of lights to go red in front of me.

Yesterday - Travelling ~20mph in a 30mph zone.
    Approaching lights, I saw a ped reach to press the button, and I know the lights are "rapid" to change, so started to brake from about 15m out.
    At the same time, driver of the car behind accelerated hard to overtake, then slammed on brakes and skidded to a halt at the lights, about 1 meter before I got there.

Lights changed back to green, and the car waited behind, which confused me as I moved off, but shrugged and continued.
    Driver turned left to the junction that was about 3 m past the lights.

If the ped hadn't pressed the beg button for the lights, it's very, very likely the driver would have left hooked me.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Tipper lorry following me down hill - not too closely - but I'm always concerned - held up by a road sweeper - just before I get to a tight left bend - I ease up because it's always a bit dicey - so prob doing 12-15mph - 3/4 through the turn and the backwheel slips out - I manage to save it and end up on the other side of the road, but still upright - fortunately, no oncoming traffic.
    phew :)
  • redvee
    After cleaning the drivetrain I thought of asking the mechanics who service the MHE in work for advice where to buy better value aero degreaser etc and during the conversation he said if I wanted to bring the chain etc into work I was welcome to leave in the degreaser bath they have but don't use that often.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Given the state of my commute this morning where puddles of water had frozen into 5mm thick ice sheets across the entire road, I was very glad to have performed the swap the marathon winters at the weekend.
    And tomorrow is meant to be -3 on the south coast, so inland in the frosty hollows will be "fun".

Yes, they are heavy, but it's just resistance training, right?
  • Added fairy lights to the Pinnacle. I am one Christmassy mofo.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    struggled back on my ride this afternoon, it felt like a NW headwind but the trees said otherwise, turns out trees lie

phew!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowbike
    Out again last night with Little SB - been a few weeks since we last rode - weather, colds and just generally busy doesn't help. Anyway - on with his light and mine (he's got my bike torch just clipped to his bars) - and off we go - he's not forgotten it and was quite happily scooting around feet up - looking at the Christmas lights others have put up ... :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    The cheap buff I bought last week on a whim that was a godsend today. Thin enough that I could breathe through it while I warmed up with it over my nose and mouth, and just by being there stopped the bitter wind and sleet hitting my face.
    Combined with the 10 year old freebee mbr one on my head meant a double layer over my ears - toasty all the way in.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Without wanting to be a soppy, sad sod of a parent...are there any ills the smile of your 9 week old son can't fix?
  • slowbike
    Dinyull wrote:
    Without wanting to be a soppy, sad sod of a parent...are there any ills the smile of your 9 week old son can't fix?
    Nope :)
  • slowbike
    The cheap buff I bought last week on a whim that was a godsend today. Thin enough that I could breathe through it while I warmed up with it over my nose and mouth, and just by being there stopped the bitter wind and sleet hitting my face.
    Combined with the 10 year old freebee mbr one on my head meant a double layer over my ears - toasty all the way in.
    Hmm - I _could_ have ridden in today - not having to do toddler drop off/pickup duty - but a) I got up too late and b) it was cold, wet and windy this morning - so stuff that ;)
    I really must MTFU intime for thursday.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm - I _could_ have ridden in today - not having to do toddler drop off/pickup duty - but a) I got up too late and b) it was cold, wet and windy this morning - so stuff that ;)
    I really must MTFU intime for thursday.

Thursday? You'll have missed all the "fun"!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Velco tyres.

Aka Studded tyres ( marathon winters in my case). The few drivers silly enough to use the non-gritted rural roads resulted in cars slipping all over the place, and I just went zipping ( or is that snap, crackle and popping) past.