Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    and .... take Little SB to pre-school on the bike ... then bike back home before getting the car to go to work.
    Not quite the full commute by bike I want to do - but it's a start - and a short but hard workout instead of just sitting in the car ...
    not going to get any PBs on strava though - not with 20Kg extra on the back!
  • slowbike
    well - what are the options
    1) everyone needs to take a chill pill - so they've got something to be happy about
    2) everyone is happy and has forgotten about this thread
    3) there is nothing to be happy about.

Well - fortunately I've got a 4) -good weekend and I've remembered the thread.
    Little SB wanted a run out on his bike - off we went in balance bike mode -quick ride out to a picnic table for hot chocolate. On the way back - persuaded him to have a go on the pedals (I can't balance with pedals) - and we had 2 quick sessions with the pedals (no stabalisers) and some confidence built.
    Sunday was nearly a disaster - supposed to be helping in-laws with some building work - brother in law didn't want help - so I didn't bother hanging around - dashed back, grabbed my MTB and "zipped" up the road to catch up with Mrs Slowbike - followed by a nice little ride in the mud ...
    OK - could've rounded it off with another pedals ride with Little SB - but that's ok - he'll do it when he's ready. :)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,774
    BST
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Took the zesty London Road out for a short spin, only needed tyres pumping up and as I found out mid-ride new batteries in the sensors. I last rode it in August 2017 :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mate of mine is off down to his place in the Dordogne for half term holidays and is breaking the drive overnight at a place called Compiegne......

I get a text asking if there is something going on as there is a Sky bus and a Lotto Jumbo bus in the car park. He and his kids are now getting shown around by the mechanics from both team.

Nice work.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    The Welsh rider Dani Rowe bagging a bronze in the Commonwealth Games Road Race, will her brother in law Luke get another medal?
  • redvee
    Short sleeves and shorts on the commute today, even at 22:00, I took the arm/knee warmers just in case but left them in the pannier bag.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Wiggle’s ‘next day’ delivery. I ordered three ( too many / accidentally as it happens) nine speed cassettes, and a chain, at about three o clock yesterday afternoon, they turned up at half past nine this morning. That’s quite quick.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Ordered 3m of blue gear cable from wiggle. They sent me 3x 10m! After I let them know, they decided they don't want it back.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    25mm Tannus tyres. They were a lot more tricky to fit, than the 28mm versions, on account of the increased inner rim width ‘fixing strip’ but I got them on, with a bit of swearing and hammer hitting, and they are deffo ‘new and improved’.
  • slowbike
    ..... and mudguards off (they're quick release ones so can go back on easily)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Cycling along the A27 cycle path between Brighton and Lewes last night flying along (by my standards), whilst everyone in their cars was at a standstill due to the traffic added with a road closure on the coast road :)
  • redvee
    Yodel, one of the worst if not the worst courier company have managed to deliver my new frame at the first attempt. Nothing to do with the fact I used my Dad's address and a different driver. Dad is bringing it to me tomorrow morning
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    First commute in today post pneumonia / coughing up a lung, after not touching a bike for about 3 months.

...and it felt gooood (in my head, i'm saying that with an Alan Partridge voice. Been listening to the I, Partridge audiobook again).

I bounced back, you could say.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    It was my 50th yesterday and I thought I was going to have a normal day at work with a trip out to have lunch with the Mrs. Got home Tuesday evening to find our son had come back from his travels early to be home for the day and my wife had spoken to my boss and arranged for me to have the day off. Had a wonderful day with a pub lunch, a walk in Richmond Park with the lad and then pub in the evening with a few friends. Also got a DIY bamboo frame kit as my birthday present, it's very cool but I'm a little nervous about building it up.
  • slowbike
    Commiserations on the 50th mark - is that Mid-Life-Crisis point? Are you allowed to buy some frivolous really expensive bike too?
  • veronese68
    Slowbike wrote:
    Commiserations on the 50th mark - is that Mid-Life-Crisis point? Are you allowed to buy some frivolous really expensive bike too?
    No need for commiserations. I'm not bothered about it, more amazed that I've made it this far so quickly. :shock:
    Not a really expensive bike, but I've kind of got N+2 on the go and they are both frivolous. Need to build up the bamboo bike of course and I've also got an old steel frame on the way from Italy that will need to be built up.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    No need for commiserations. I'm not bothered about it, more amazed that I've made it this far so quickly. :shock:
    Not a really expensive bike, but I've kind of got N+2 on the go and they are both frivolous. Need to build up the bamboo bike of course and I've also got an old steel frame on the way from Italy that will need to be built up.

Ah sounds fun, the two frames, you'll have to show me the bamboo bike some time! I assume the old steel is for nice white stone rides and such?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It was my 50th yesterday and I thought I was going to have a normal day at work with a trip out to have lunch with the Mrs. Got home Tuesday evening to find our son had come back from his travels early to be home for the day and my wife had spoken to my boss and arranged for me to have the day off. Had a wonderful day with a pub lunch, a walk in Richmond Park with the lad and then pub in the evening with a few friends. Also got a DIY bamboo frame kit as my birthday present, it's very cool but I'm a little nervous about building it up.

Brilliant! Congrats, and hope you enjoy the bamboo bike! Last year, on the Edinburgh - St. Andrews lepra ride, I met a guy who did it in a self-built bamboo recumbent. Effing great,and top marks for sustainability.
  • veronese68
    I assume the old steel is for nice white stone rides and such?
    Indeed, I nearly pinched your old frame off the lad to build up for that. Thought that was a bit mean so found something on Ebay in Italy that was made in my home town. Just need to get everything else to go on it. Bamboo will take a while, need to pluck up the courage to make a start then it's a case of cutting sticks, shaping the ends and gluing them together. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to it. It will have discs, just need to decide on what to do with respect to gearing and such like.
  • veronese68
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Brilliant! Congrats.
    Ta very much, well pleased with everything. :D
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Had a day off work on Tuesday and with my MTB hat on I went for a 'jumps and drops' skills/coaching day with some colleagues to learn to do crazy sh!t like wallrides etc.

It was great fun and I got over a number of mental blocks in my riding that I have had for years.

But boy oh boy, does my 53 year old back ache today. I was walking around like a pregnant woman with that arm bent behind you and hand pushed in the lower back look.
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    After a few false starts - Little Slowbike rode his bike yesterday - with pedals (and no stabalisers) -and had fun doing it.
    He's not yet 3. It may not be a world record (well - it isn't - but tbh - I don't care - he had fun).

It has cost us a bike computer so he's got a GPS just like Daddy ... but that's a worthwhile treat ...

Now - better start training him up for the 2up TTs!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Todays' weather being approx. 30 miles further east than predicted......
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    Slowbike wrote:
    It has cost us a bike computer so he's got a GPS just like Daddy ... but that's a worthwhile treat ...

You'll be getting the Uh Oh emails from Strava soon and find Little Slowbike has dethroned Daddy :lol:
  • slowbike
    redvee wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You'll be getting the Uh Oh emails from Strava soon and find Little Slowbike has dethroned Daddy :lol:

Fortunately it's a simple bike computer and not a GPS - and I'm not stupid enough to upload any results to Strava just yet ... but when I do, I may just tweak the feed slightly - just slow him down by 20% or so .... that'll do to start with anyway ;)
  • slowbike
    LSB came out to watch me go past on the club TT last night ...

"Go Daddy Go Daddy" ... :)

then back at HQ, quite happily saying that he's faster than me ... hmm - perhaps 20% reduction isn't going to be enough on his strava feed ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    LSB came out to watch me go past on the club TT last night ...

"Go Daddy Go Daddy" ... :)

then back at HQ, quite happily saying that he's faster than me ... hmm - perhaps 20% reduction isn't going to be enough on his strava feed ...

:D
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Long social ride out to a pub planned for tonight with a new group, rather than "dealing" with a "sell at home" party.
    And it's turned out nice again, after a morning of rather a lot of water descending from the heavens.

Tootle pip!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    11th Birthday's and lashings of Lego