Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    imatfaal wrote:
    I expect you were the same
    I had trouble seeing where I was going ...

and I might need a facial massage as I'm still grinning now ... :D
  • slowbike
    fat daddy wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The real question is "Di2 or Etap?"

Chris Boardman loves Etap ... and should be a role model for any youngster

although from a security point of view, di2 is less likely to be hacked by the Russians

Hmm- with DI2 can I upgrade my Garmin and control his gears? That should ensure I always win the sprint ;)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Slowbike wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The real question is "Di2 or Etap?"

Chris Boardman loves Etap ... and should be a role model for any youngster

although from a security point of view, di2 is less likely to be hacked by the Russians

Hmm- with DI2 can I upgrade my Garmin and control his gears? That should ensure I always win the sprint ;)

EPS is the best for outside control. Apparently teams have set-ups that allow trainer in the car to set gears on the fly from their mobiles. I am resisting the temptation to get the wifi connector for my Di2 - but I think it allows you to do only what e-tube software does; that's fun but not that great and I tend to have my shifters set to default boring. I actually quite like the idea of automatic shifts based on cadence - but do not believe any of the set-ups allow that yet
  • slowbike
    What - No Anti-Rants for over a week?

What's wrong with you lot?

Anyway - mine ...

Had a good(ish) week on holiday with the extended family - LSB got plenty of balance bike riding in - anyone know of a cheap source of bubble wrap?! ;)
    Then did RL100 with my 2 brothers - first time since before I can remember that we've ridden together (well first 1/2 the course anyway) ...

AND .... I finished first ... ;)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Scotland - Beautiful and friendly place. loved our trip up there
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Last Thursday evening I had organised a group of wok colleagues to head over to the Lee Valley Velopark to ride some laps around the 1 mile track just for sh!ts n giggles.

We almost sacked it off when we saw the weather forecast but decided to head off anyway. It was a great laugh and I really enjoyed messing around on the track and practicing our group riding skills.

to get there we had followed the Regents Canal and then through various parks to get to Stratford. Who knew there was so much greenery in East London?

On the way back we again followed the canal into Angel, Islington and 'discovered' all the funky bars that are along the canal there ('discovered' as in they must have been there for ages but I never knew they existed. It looks a great place for a night out).

So that made it 80km for a commute home which sets me in first place in the 'Who can do the longest cycle commute home?' competition that we have amongst the office cyclists.

To cap it all, a colleague who left the office at the same time as me and followed my usual commute home got absolutely soaked. I was dryza bone the whole evening 8)
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    Bit later into work this morning ...

LSB decided he wanted to ride with me - so a bit of a slow start to the commute - but fun with a 2yo saying "Race Daddy Home" beside me :)

I could put my anti-rant in for this evening too - cos I suspect my commute will be cut short by a mile or so - with the addition of my wingman ... :)
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    I live in a fairly rough town, but very close to a very wealthy town. Probably one of the wealthiest in the UK.

Mrs-In is a member of one of these "buy/sell stuff on facebook" type websites for aforementioned wealthy town, and the absolute best stuff comes from uber-rich (usually women) selling their partners gear off to clear some space in their mahusive houses! We've had some incredible bargains.

So i'm working from home yesterday and Mrs-In says "I saw a nice rucksack for sale for £8 and i' thought you might want it. Could you go and get it this evening?". So off i pop.

Absolutely brand new (with tags) Dakine Heli-Pro rucksack (RRP about £55). Inside it is an unused Dakine hydration pack/camelback type thing (RRP about £25) I have had a Dakine pack for a while for skiing and use it on the cycle commute with a slightly guilty feeling that i'm not treating it very well.

Now i have about £80 worth of rucksack and gear. For 8 pounds! Quite happy with that!
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Sigma Sport ordered my new Trek Emonda ALR frameset and told me it would be dispatched in around 2 weeks, arrived over a week early.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rode from Fulham to Greenwhich on Boris Bikes and docked after 25 minutes and walked to the next dock and played the free ride game but failed as there weren't any docks in Greenwich, crossed the river in the tunnel and I docked my bike on 59 minutes at Westferry DLR to get the most out of the additiona charge.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Strava tells me I just passed 40,000 kilometres in my middle-aged cycling career (dating from 27 October 2013). Which just so happens to be once around the earth. Hmm, didn't see that coming.
  • slowbike
    Came across another cyclist this morning ... first time in months I've had another rider to ride in with ... ok - her pace was a bit slow (otherwise I wouldn't have caught her) - but it wasnt so slow as to be painful :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:
    Came across another cyclist this morning ... first time in months I've had another rider to ride in with ... ok - her pace was a bit slow (otherwise I wouldn't have caught her) - but it wasnt so slow as to be painful :)

One of these days you and I will pass and we'll never know.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    One of these days you and I will pass and we'll never know.
    Hmm - if we do then we're both seriously off course! ;)
  • Haven't been on my bike for months, so I committed to commuting to my new (been here 4 months!) work place this morning. 1 mile down to the canal, along to the river Trent, through Attenborough Nature reserve to Trent Lock, then another couple of miles on the road to work.
    All in glorious sunshine... Lovely!
  • redvee
    ECL draw fell kindly for me, Barcelona didn't draw any English teams in their group and they got a home match against Juventus the week I'm in Barcelona. Just need to get the match tickets but refuse to pay anything like what the first batch of tickets are on sale for, bottom line is €80+, my budget is €60.
  • slowbike
    Weekend of off-road riding with our son - He rode superbly - didn't want to take the shortcut back but did bail on the climb back up ... fair enough - he'd done over a mile on his balance bike through tracks and trails.

Thought about it and realised that those whose kids only rely on stabalisers are missing out on this bit ...
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Slowbike wrote:
    Weekend of off-road riding with our son - He rode superbly - didn't want to take the shortcut back but did bail on the climb back up ... fair enough - he'd done over a mile on his balance bike through tracks and trails.

Thought about it and realised that those whose kids only rely on stabalisers are missing out on this bit ...

Indeed - little one gets loads of amazed comments in the park when she's on her new bike. I just say - get em on a balance bike as soon as possible.

Did some off road too on Sats which went well until she ignored my advice to slow down (as always) on a root strewn slope. Cue her going over the bars with the bike landing on top of her. That'll learn her. Although probably not. :roll:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • slowbike
    We did get the comment "Need mountain bike" .... from our 2yo ... :D all in good time son! He came off a few times, nothing serious - but mostly got back on - only one point did he want to walk a bit, but he was getting tired.
  • MrSweary
    Slowbike wrote:
    We did get the comment "Need mountain bike" .... from our 2yo ... :D all in good time son! He came off a few times, nothing serious - but mostly got back on - only one point did he want to walk a bit, but he was getting tired.

Ha. They just bounce at that age. Daughter ended the weekend looking like her legs had been run over by a lawnmower after various incidents. She doesn't care - just has a wail for a few seconds then its back on the bike to the next crash!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    My 8 year old girl came with us on a 4 miler twice over the weekend. She's now worked out how the gears help her. The 10 year old was away in the distance, she struggled on but did so well. Proud Daddy! Must have caught a fly in my eye at some point
  • redvee
    A guy in work has been off sick for the last few months being treated for testicular cancer, he got the all clear on Friday.
  • slowbike
    Put my knog rear light on my sons balance bike for the after dinner ride :)
  • MrSweary
    Little one managed a 3 1/2 mile ride on Sats with a couple of big (for her) hills. Listened really well and kept going all the way (with a cake stop of course). First family ride together.

Shame she spent the next 36 hours screaming almost non stop - assume these events are unrelated.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • slowbike
    :) LSB managed 2/3rds of a mile on the ride to the hot chocolate shop ... not that he wanted hot chocolate - but was happy with juice ..

Note to self - need to balance my bike a bit better as going up hill with a 2yo and his balance bike strapped to the back of his kiddie seat makes my front wheel rather .... er ... light!
  • Friday's traffic was a complete mess due to numerous smashes/broken down cars blocking through routes.
    Made for lots of angry, aggressive drivers who didn't like being held up on 60mph roads by a cyclist.

Being on the MTB, I decided to detour out to the forest and left the road, which is normally gravelly and ok on hybrid tyres.
    "Normally". "Normally" didn't apply this time while half way along it.

I haven't laughed/smiled so much for a very, very long time. Ended up to the wheel hubs. It's what the bike was for.

DJyCVx0X0AEQTTu.jpg:large
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    Was up in London again Wednesday and did Boris Bikes from Victoria to Holbourn and docked at 29 minutes and the return to Victoria several hours later was docked at 28 minutes and quite enjoyed pulling away from the lights and passing the regular commuters on their bikes.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I love the unexpected sychronicity of life; wife exits house and turns left to walk into town, while simulatiously a Parcelforce van containing my new frame arrives down the road from the right.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Finally managed to persuade GoPro Studio to remain stable long enough (it's well publicised that its currently buggy as hell) to allow me to edit some footage I shot during my trip to the CdF during July's TdF, including a nice 1970's colour wash to remind me of my dad's cine films and a great track that ITV4 featured on their closing footage one evening and I made a mental note of to use for a future video...

It's not perfect and in an ideal world this would have been a first draft and I would have tweaked much of it but IMHO it's good enough for reminding me of good times

7 h du Matin

Enjoy
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    Took up the offer of a Cycling Plus subscription at the show and walked away with £50 of Bontrager lights, a Torx key and a few other bits and bobs I could blag that they didn't want to take back to the office 1/2 mile from my place. As I left the show I took a picture of the lights and when stood on the station platform I put them on Ebay, the auction finished midweek at £41 so 12 months of Cycling Plus has cost me around £10.