Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    An extra couple of miles and nearly double the climbing for the ride in - no lego though ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Tashman wrote:
    11th Birthday's and lashings of Lego
    I thought lashings was the SI unit for ginger beer and/or homemade lemonade?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    elbowloh wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    11th Birthday's and lashings of Lego
    I thought lashings was the SI unit for ginger beer and/or homemade lemonade?
    I'm sure both will be consumed later on (although the ginger beer may also contain some spiced rum)

Also a celeb cricket team!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Long social ride out to a pub planned for tonight with a new group, rather than "dealing" with a "sell at home" party.
    And it's turned out nice again, after a morning of rather a lot of water descending from the heavens.

Tootle pip!

Cracking ride. Bright thing in the sky, warm out. First time I've done 45km in an evening, especially a there was a quick stop at a pub in the middle to get the muscles start cooling down in...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Cracking ride. Bright thing in the sky, warm out. First time I've done 45km in an evening, especially a there was a quick stop at a pub in the middle to get the muscles start cooling down in...

PWNPR ?
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:

PWNPR ?

Small world.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

PWNPR ?

Small world.

Indeed ... damm social media ;)
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

PWNPR ?

Small world.

Aye. Next you'll tell me you were on the ride as well! ( I've had that happen twice already)
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

PWNPR ?

Small world.

Aye. Next you'll tell me you were on the ride as well! ( I've had that happen twice already)

Nah - I turned up to one of the pub stops a couple of years ago - but couldn't really do pub night two nights running and they're a bit of a weird bunch ;)
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Nah - I turned up to one of the pub stops a couple of years ago - but couldn't really do pub night two nights running and they're a bit of a weird bunch ;)

I fit in perfectly...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Coming home yesterday, early on about the only full road bit, some young man blasted past with inches to spare, but he'd not noticed the police car who promptly did a U turn and saw a very glum looking young man having his details taken.
  • slowbike
    A weekend away with the bikes - and Little Slowbike did his first "off road" with pedals - all the way to a teashop for Hot Chocolate ... he rode just over 1.5 miles of the 4 mile route there. He would've probably ridden a bit further, but I didn't fancy trying to stop him on the steep hill and I wasn't going to let him loose on the road either.
    He started riding back too, but was a little bit tired. Not a problem as Slowbike Assist (aka Followme Tandem) was available to keep him moving.
    Not bad for a little lad who isn't yet 3.
  • slowbike
    Hmm ... wife wants to try commuting to work by bike again... no great issue - it's about an hour each way (route & traffic being the main issue).
    The issue - which bike! Flat bar hybrid, set up for the school run with extra puncture protection = slow/hard work or the best roadbike = careful of the potholes & curbs ...
    The not so best road bike is setup on the turbo - could use that I guess.
  • roger_merriman
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm ... wife wants to try commuting to work by bike again... no great issue - it's about an hour each way (route & traffic being the main issue).
    The issue - which bike! Flat bar hybrid, set up for the school run with extra puncture protection = slow/hard work or the best roadbike = careful of the potholes & curbs ...

Depending on her level of fitness and competitiveness, you certainly can commute on big heavy bomb proof bikes, with out being hard work, I do 100ish miles per week on my old MTB with Marathon plus Tour, panniers and what not, I’m generally not sweaty unless it’s a hot day. And it’s a easy relaxing travel. Is my nice bikes faster? Yes, but I’d probably loose the time changing and strip washing etc.
  • The Nodder
    The Nodder Posts: 33
    1. My new commuter bike arrived.

2. The bike's wheels have a sticker on them saying "Alex rims". I'm sure he does.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Ordered some stuff from PlanetX which arrived at the office when I wasn't in.
    Found a large box under my desk - can't remember what I ordered.

I could look at the email, but that would spoil the Christmas feeling.
  • sgt.pepper
    sgt.pepper Posts: 300
    Slowbike wrote:

Depending on her level of fitness and competitiveness, you certainly can commute on big heavy bomb proof bikes, with out being hard work, I do 100ish miles per week on my old MTB with Marathon plus Tour, panniers and what not, I’m generally not sweaty unless it’s a hot day. And it’s a easy relaxing travel. Is my nice bikes faster? Yes, but I’d probably loose the time changing and strip washing etc.

Sometimes I'll find I'm actually faster on my commuter hack (mudguards and panniers) as the 28s absorb bumpy roads and adverse weather conditions far better than my lighter, skinnier tyred road bike.
  • roger_merriman
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Sometimes I'll find I'm actually faster on my commuter hack (mudguards and panniers) as the 28s absorb bumpy roads and adverse weather conditions far better than my lighter, skinnier tyred road bike.

I suspect thats one of the reasons I caught a roadie yesterday the bigger tyres swallowed the rippled cycle paths better. in fairness my nice (road) bike is a gravel bike and it's supple 32mm tyres are much more comfortable than the stiff marathon plus, on the same roads. in fairness the commute bike is heavy and carrying stuff which does make lumps thud more.
  • slowbike
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I suspect thats one of the reasons I caught a roadie yesterday the bigger tyres swallowed the rippled cycle paths better. in fairness my nice (road) bike is a gravel bike and it's supple 32mm tyres are much more comfortable than the stiff marathon plus, on the same roads. in fairness the commute bike is heavy and carrying stuff which does make lumps thud more.

Sorry - I know this is in the commuter section - but - for the same effort - a drop bar road bike with upgraded wheels etc etc is always going to be faster than a flat bar hybrid on stock wheels & tyres with puncture protection stuff in. I know this because I do the same route week in week out - the variance I put on it is the bike type. I've ridden it with all but 1 of my bikes - the fastest has been the road bike - only because the TT bike was in early stages of riding so I could get used to it - the slowest bike was the (drop bar) commuter bike, complete with 32mm tyres*, mudguards & rack. Granted, I can ride it faster on that than on my road bike - but not for the same effort level - it's not the tyres so much as the aerodynamics of the different types of bike.

As it happened, the commute had to be postponed for technical reasons beyond my control.... but it's still in the offing - on the 2nd best road bike ... probably.

* my slowest time was double the usual time for the same route - but that was because there was a load of snow & ice on the road - I wouldn't have made it on my road bike ...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Was chatting to one of the girls in the warehouse today and she came close to hitting me with the MHE she was operating so apologised straight away, I said there was no need and acknowledge her apology and left the matter at an end. As we were clocking out she came up to me and apologised again and did make contact by giving me a hug, lucky for her I had my hands full otherwise I would have had my hands full of her.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • slowbike
    Tightened up the headset last night - having noticed a few "cracks" as I was riding along ...
    Nice smooth, quiet ride in this morning - well - apart from the squeaky cleats ...
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Superb service from a LBS. I must have ridden past it a hundred times, and never noticed it before. I’ll be going in to get all my ‘consumables’ whenever I’m in the area from now on.
  • sgt.pepper
    sgt.pepper Posts: 300
    Drivers were really patient with my this morning while I was getting blasted all over the road in gale force winds on my rather uncomfortable twitchy Raleigh. Think they felt bad for me thanks to the hail.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Despite zero cycling motivation for the last few months my FTP is only 7w lower than it was last October.

Good to know that if the weather improves and I find some motivation it won't be too hard to get fit again (notwithstanding total lack of top end).
  • redvee
    hopkinb wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Email arrived in work today saying C2W scheme window is open but I don't want another bike, would love a groupset but don't think I can get away with it.
    I think you can get away with it these days.

Seems I can, asked in my local Cycle Republic store and they said it's possible, apart from having to pay a returnable deposit there's no difference to getting a bike. Just need to find Etap for £1k now.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    redvee wrote:
    Just need to find Etap for £1k now.

This is also my plan.. :D
  • slowbike
    Another Operation Crackdown letter has been sent out - that's 3 out of 3 so far - so I guess the Police are agreeing with my call on what's considered a "close pass" then... I wish I wasn't submitting quite so many (3 in 8 months)
  • roger_merriman
    Slowbike wrote:
    Another Operation Crackdown letter has been sent out - that's 3 out of 3 so far - so I guess the Police are agreeing with my call on what's considered a "close pass" then... I wish I wasn't submitting quite so many (3 in 8 months)

Luckily my commute is fairly benign for that being mostly cycle paths/parks. But close passed at speed few weeks ago, in front of a police car which promptly did a U turn and I caught up to them looking very glum a few minutes later, it was probably the speed which they (if they where) done for
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Luckily my commute is fairly benign for that being mostly cycle paths/parks. But close passed at speed few weeks ago, in front of a police car which promptly did a U turn and I caught up to them looking very glum a few minutes later, it was probably the speed which they (if they where) done for

Mine is mostly country A road - so National Limit - but going through villages at 30 - lots of high hedges/verges & blind bends, double white lines and it's a reasonably well used commute route.
    The vast majority of the time I get passed sensibly. It's just the few that can't wait or don't want to move over the white line (quite frankly I don't care about the double white line overtaking law - if they all obeyed that to the letter then we'd never get anywhere). I think the sensible driving may be partly because cycling is so popular (drivers are likely to be cyclists or have cyclists in the family) and/or they've got used to seeing the few bikes on the route.

My criteria for reporting is does it make me shout loud or take me by surprise and then on review - does it look close.

Fortunately there aren't many and I haven't had a repeat of some of the worst ones (one was a tractor & trailer overtake in town passing me so close my friend thought he was going to be picking up a squished body).
  • redvee
    hopkinb wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Just need to find Etap for £1k now.

This is also my plan.. :D

I've got 5 weeks to decide whether to go for it or not so should be able to find a shop willing to let me pay the difference, best price I've seen is £1057 for shifters and mechs with cable brakes. I'll need an 11sp cassette though. I know Di2 can be had for less but the frame I want to put it on doesn't do internal cabling.