Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    To the young lady on the river path in Cromford - thank you for 'flashing' your boyfriend, the sad old cyclist behind you appreciated your thong and pert derriere ;) (you may want to look behind before doing this again)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Andcp wrote:
    To the young lady on the river path in Cromford - thank you for 'flashing' your boyfriend, the sad old cyclist behind you appreciated your thong and pert derriere ;) (you may want to look behind before doing this again)

POIDH :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited June 2017
    Wheel with spoke pulled through rim replaced FOC under warranty, and the shop even swapped the cassette & tyre etc over.
    New wheels from rose arrived today.
    Back onto the roadie tomorrow, will be nice to not have to drag 15kg of MTB around.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Complete off topic Anti-rant ...

Last sunday was my 3rd Fathers day - 2 years ago today was my first - with my then 5 day old son. He's fabulous and just 2 days before his 2nd birthday "got it" with his balance bike - so now, in the evening when I get home from work we have a ride on "Puky" - and he gets to chase me around the estate - stopping to hoot his horn of course....
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    Slowbike wrote:
    Complete off topic Anti-rant ...

Last sunday was my 3rd Fathers day - 2 years ago today was my first - with my then 5 day old son. He's fabulous and just 2 days before his 2nd birthday "got it" with his balance bike - so now, in the evening when I get home from work we have a ride on "Puky" - and he gets to chase me around the estate - stopping to hoot his horn of course....

Totally get this, we used the balance bike and did exactly the same. Chasing around the cul de sac and estate was great fun!
    He was 5 in April and absolutely loves his frog bike, we did a 10 miler along the canal at the weekend and he still wanted to race me up the slope to our house when we got back! :D
  • slowbike
    The Rover wrote:
    Totally get this, we used the balance bike and did exactly the same. Chasing around the cul de sac and estate was great fun!
    He was 5 in April and absolutely loves his frog bike, we did a 10 miler along the canal at the weekend and he still wanted to race me up the slope to our house when we got back! :D
    Excellent - I did ask LSB if he was going to be my Lead-out man ... that'll work till he's probably about 6 - then he'll be quicker than me ... :o
    Looking forward to it - without wanting to with the time away ...
  • redvee
    The Rover wrote:
    he still wanted to race me up the slope to our house when we got back! :D

Did he win or did you let him win?
  • slowbike
    just another quick anti-rant

LSB wanted to ride "Puky" this morning - as we were trying to get out to drop him at nursery then off to work ...
    said s0d it (in my head) - he can have 5 minutes riding whilst I just put things in the car ...

I did ask him not to hoot the horn though ... which he promptly did ... ah fvck it - it's 10 to 8 - most ppl are up by now ... and if they're not, they should be! ;)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    New contract role for the summer that's both in London and is frankly amazing for my CV and I'm through to the final round for an actual perm job (which is kind of scary).

Anyway, woot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Asprilla wrote:
    New contract role for the summer that's both in London and is frankly amazing for my CV and I'm through to the final round for an actual perm job (which is kind of scary).

Anyway, woot.

Noice!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Anyway, woot.

Noice!

Very good!
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    The au pair has quit. This is good as I get to choose the next one. What could possibly go wrong?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    The au pair has quit. This is good as I get to choose the next one. What could possibly go wrong?
    It's common knowledge that Swedes make the best au pairs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    Beautiful ride in today - coupled with a bit of a suprise at a higher than normal average speed ... once I saw it I thought I'd try and get it up to the next round number (18.4 -> 19) but didn't want to completely bust a gut doing so (I do have to work afterwards!) - nearly managed it - got it to 18.9 then got to the 3rd and 4th junctions of my ride - both right turn ... so it dropped back to 18.8 ... oh well :)
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    The au pair has quit.

#OverheardinWaitrose
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Thought I'd killed my garmin.
    Took me 6 attempts, but it finally accepted the soft reboot!
    Left the garmin on overnight by mistake. Thankfuly had given it a full recharge yesterday.
    It made it to approx. 25 meters from my destination before dying.
    So that's about 14 hour solid. Love these old 705's!

This was obviously the start of the end.
    RIP Garmin 705 :(
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    RoubaixMB wrote:

SWMBO chooses a male au pair :wink:
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    MrSweary wrote:
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    The au pair has quit.

#OverheardinWaitrose

#firstworldproblems
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,701
    Asprilla wrote:

Anyway, woot.
    Excellent.
    But 'permanent job'?
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Anyway, woot.
    Excellent.
    But 'permanent job'?

I've been contracting for 18 years. I had a proper job for 18 months when I first graduated but I didn't like it.

Unfortunately few of the jobs at the level I want are contract.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,701
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've been contracting for 18 years. I had a proper job for 18 months when I first graduated but I didn't like it.

Nothing to do with being of an age that you need to have a permanent job as you'll soon be considered past it ;-)
    Oh, good luck.
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Nothing to do with being of an age that you need to have a permanent job as you'll soon be considered past it ;-)
    Oh, good luck.

Well, there is that. Although my replacement in my current role is the chap who first hired me into that organisation 10 years ago.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    I was given my notice of redundancy at the end of March because my role isnt needed anymore since then they've delayed my exit again and again and have me doing daily q&a sessions because it seems they need my skills, lol

I also like the fact they have six people full time to try and take over my role, hmmm I'm thinking they didnt think that one through.

Plus i've now been paid and have my p45 which they sent 2nd class FFS loving the gratitude, I'd like to see them get sweet fa from me next week.

Contracting is they way forward while you can, i just regret ive spent the best years of my working life perm.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    Contracting is they way forward while you can, i just regret ive spent the best years of my working life perm.

Purely because of the cash? (I'm kind of considering contracting, but the London aspect would make me seriously gloomy long--term).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    Yeah the cash, in my current role contractors are rare mostly because it takes 20+ years to really have the background but the few that do are raking it in, 4+ times more than my daily rate, trust me its insanely expensive to hire one but then again companies can get the best subject experts for one project at a time with no expense pay off or notice period.

If i didnt have the responsibilities i have i would have gone contracting, not that I'm unhappy with my lot.
  • itboffin
    I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a long ride, before the bad weather comes back

Redundancy is not so bad
  • slowbike
    Family bike ride - ok it was only 0.4 miles and took about 1/2 hour - but it was nice that LSB got to ride his balance bike with Mummy and Daddy altogether for the first time :)
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Slowbike wrote:
    Family bike ride - ok it was only 0.4 miles and took about 1/2 hour - but it was nice that LSB got to ride his balance bike with Mummy and Daddy altogether for the first time :)

LMS should be getting her first pedal bike this week. She was showing me how she is going to pedal by hurtling along on her balance bike waggling her legs. This should be fun!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • slowbike
    MrSweary wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

LMS should be getting her first pedal bike this week. She was showing me how she is going to pedal by hurtling along on her balance bike waggling her legs. This should be fun!

Excellent :)
  • redvee
    Had an hospital appointment at end of May to have a Go-Pro down the throat and samples taken, letter back today saying samples taken did not show any signs of gluten insensitivity, coeliac disease. :D