Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A work colleage was the victim of a hit and run on Saturday night on his way home from work. Details are vague, some saying he was left on the roadside for several hours. Only definite thing so far is he's in hospital with spinal injuries.

Seems the injuries weren't as bad as the canteen gossip exaggerated them to be. He returned to work today, approx 6 weeks after the accident. :D Still going to take time for the work fitness to build back up and his performance target has been reduced accordingly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    In more trivial matters, my commute goes through 19 sets of traffic lights/ped crossings in the first two miles. Today I managed to go through them all FUC.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    In more trivial matters, my commute goes through 19 sets of traffic lights/ped crossings in the first two miles. Today I managed to go through them all FUC.

You know you're supposed to stop at the red ones, right? :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • redvee

You know you're supposed to stop at the red ones, right? :D

Ssshhh :lol:
  • redvee
    We've missed New Year's Eve

CXg1Ap1WEAIKfOc.png
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Empty Embankment bike path and getting some Air over those ridiculous ramps they have put in at a few of the pedestrian crossings
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Just took my convalescing torn ankle ligament on one of the Wattbikes at work. Only did two minutes, but it's the first pedal action I've had for six weeks, and I did ok. :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Another son to hide behind in the wind in future...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

'Gratz! N+1 balance bike to look forward to in a while.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Congrats - although you'll get plenty of wind from him for now ... :)
  • slowbike
    Back on the bike - despite having a cold - and being kept up 1/2 the night by my little lad (6 months) who also has a cold ( :( )
    Nice ride, although a bit harder than of late as I brought the commute bike rather than the winter road bike - perhaps I better pump up those tyres a bit!
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Just had a fantastic piece of customer service from Cycle Republic Euston.

Had a frayed gear cable in my brifter that would not budge.

Took it into Cycle Republic Euston, with some trepidation as it a part of Halfords

I was really pleasantly surprised with the service, they eventually managed to get the cable out after 20 mins of wiggling and prodding and even gave me a free ferule.

Total cost - nothing. Can't beat it!
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    The joyous feeling after being out for an hour and a quarter in this cold and enjoying a steaming hot cup of horlicks/ovaltine and some marshmallows. Stuff the " silly commuter weight loss" today!

Yes, i'm old.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Perfect version of Spectre on Putlocker...
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Perfect version of Spectre on Putlocker...
    And many Academy Award nomination films...

Wiggle turned down my cheeky offer on an ex-demo bike that already had 20% off. Wasn't sure that it was really what I wanted, so working on the principle that their refusal was right, I saved spending a wad & getting the wrong new (-ish) bike.
  • redvee
    Riding home tonight I had a slow overtake from a cabbie, two hundred yards further on he pulled over and poked his head out of the window and I'm expecting the usual cabbie style compliments on cyclists etc. No, he wanted to know what rear light I was using on my seatpost cause it was very bright, it was an Exposure TraceR. He claimed to be a cyclist too and given his interest in my light I have no reason to doubt it.
  • slowbike
    And back on the bike again - following a bad cold and not getting out of bed in time ... so it was -7°C ... put the right clothes on and it's fine :)
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Managed to get WD40 down the gear cable without having to dismantle everything last night. Gears didn't freeze solid in 3rd today! Yay! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    For train related reasons I did White City to Waterloo to Hammersmith last night.

Did the Lambeth Bridge to Cheyne Walk section of the Embankment for the first time in several months. I realise now how nice that section is, having been fighting my way through Bayswater/Ladbrooke Grove since then.

Big, wide road, a bit of CS8, relatively few sets of lights, easy filtering, flat & fast - I could go on, but suffice to say it was an absolute pleasure, and made me realise what a bunch of chuff my current route is
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • Wednesday morning - did school run before commute, running a bit late and freezing cold, nearly took the car (12 miles from home to Chelmsford) but took the bike - main road was completely stuffed so took one of my lane routes thus avoiding the whole lot.

Thursday morning - slight head cold so had to resist the lure of the car again, came out of work, roads out of town ruined by an accident, filtered my way through the stationary hordes.

Got to love cycling to work!
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited January 2016
    Just gone and inspected all the clothes & helmet after this weeks wipeout.
    Not as bad as I thought, and discovered that the jacket has a front crank gear mark on it, about 3 cm from the collar.
    So silver linings for not getting a crank/gear set to the neck and all that.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Had the call from the LBS. new bike ready to collect after much much waiting!
  • I was dreading this morning.

Along my commute the had put lights in as they were digging up the road.
    The road works were over quite a distance, with a climb and descent (from both directions).

This meant that I was concerned that I would not get through them in time before the lights changed at the other end.

Anyway, when I got there I found they had been removed (at some point after 14:00hrs yesterday).
    Boy was I relieved.
  • wolfsbane2k
    I was dreading this morning.

The road works were over quite a distance, with a climb and descent (from both directions).

This meant that I was concerned that I would not get through them in time before the lights changed at the other end.

Anyway, when I got there I found they had been removed (at some point after 14:00hrs yesterday).
    Boy was I relieved.

That's an interesting conundrum to try and take into account when timing lights - I'd never thought of that before, but can see it being a right problem in certain areas/times.
    Contact the council and remind them not to allow this size of closure on the basis of safety?
  • I was dreading this morning.

Boy was I relieved.

That's an interesting conundrum to try and take into account when timing lights - I'd never thought of that before, but can see it being a right problem in certain areas/times.
    Contact the council and remind them not to allow this size of closure on the basis of safety?

To be honest it's not normally an issue, but I have had it happen before.

(When they were resurfacing a local bypass I was out riding and went through the lights, as I was cycling through the road works some workmen obviously twigged what was happening and said come over onto the new tarmac as I wouldn't get through in time and the cars behind me would get stuck with traffic coming the other way!)

The thing is, as a driver you do not want to be stuck in a line of cars waiting for an extra amount of time, yet as a cyclist you don't want to hold the traffic up, or be the cause of a massive snarl up as two lots of traffic come head to head with no where to go.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Having stripped my bike down to the bare frame to solve my Rant Thread issues, I gave it a thorough clean, and was pleasantly surprised how unmarked/scratch free it was
    If anyone's interested, a 2015 CAADX frame weighs 1600g
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Did 55 miles in Sussex on Sun and not once was I subject to anything other than examplary motor driving.
  • That's an interesting conundrum to try and take into account when timing lights - I'd never thought of that before, but can see it being a right problem in certain areas/times.

There's a set of lights over a narrow bridge/quite lengthy section of single-track on Welley Road near Sunnymeads station (Windsor area) that seem to be set up so you have to do 25mph+ to get through to avoid the chance of the opposing lights turning green and you getting hit by on-coming traffic. Had a couple of close calls here in the past on rides where I haven't been hanging around, including being shouted at for "jumping the lights" :roll:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46799 ... 6656?hl=en
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • wolfsbane2k

There's a set of lights over a narrow bridge/quite lengthy section of single-track on Welley Road near Sunnymeads station (Windsor area) that seem to be set up so you have to do 25mph+ to get through to avoid the chance of the opposing lights turning green and you getting hit by on-coming traffic. Had a couple of close calls here in the past on rides where I haven't been hanging around, including being shouted at for "jumping the lights" :roll:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46799 ... 6656?hl=en

Ah the joys. I'm surprised that's still there- I'd have thought they would have replaced that in the 20 years since I last went that way. Hmm.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Came home last night to find a 'Congratulations' magazine on the doorstep. RideLondon here we come!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this