Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I love living in the Cotswolds, I never really thought the country side was for me, But man the riding around here is something else.

I climbed to the highest point of Warwickshire today via Larkstone Hill, I then climbed Dovers Hill, which has been used for the national Hill climb championships a few time, then i Finally climbed Saintbury Hill and on up to Broadway Tower which is the 2nd highest point of Gloucestershire and had a beautiful coffee and a lovely bit of cake with a view to die for.

On top of that it was a beautiful day and the sun was shinning. Happy days.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Found my bottle of Ghost Pepper Sauce in the fridge to supplement the very temperamental "chili" sold at work.
    Deliberately didn't offer it out, but had it on the table. A colleague who've not had a chili with me before asked to try a bit. Cue about 40 people trying it, all but 2 melting because they all thought they could handle it.
    Has made me chuckle all afternoon :evil:
    Someone has even gone and printed off a biohazard sign and stuck it to my desk ;)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • 1st ride back after dislocating my shoulder. I do love that first breath of crisp air that stings the lungs on an early morning.
  • Just ran my quickest 10k. Did it in 47 mins which isn't going to break any records ( except mine ) but bearing in mind injuries, ops and middle age I'm quite pleased with myself.
    For the doubters I still prefer cycling!
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Finally got my new freehub fitted this weekend, and fully regreased hubs a bearings on front and rear wheels.

Somewhat disconcertingly I removed 9½ bearings from one side of the front wheel. That would explain the odd grinding noise this week then. No idea where the other ½ bearing went! :shock:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    The sound of ice cracking as I ride over frozen puddles. nice.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • seajays
    byke68 wrote:
    This. I like to aim specifically for them. :mrgreen:
    My Strava
  • Seajays wrote:
    byke68 wrote:
    Me too, but I much prefer not hearing the cracking sound. :P

Mosvatnet_zpswchbh7kl.png[/URL]
  • seajays
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    byke68 wrote:
    Me too, but I much prefer not hearing the cracking sound. :P

Mosvatnet_zpswchbh7kl.png[/URL]

:lol: Yeah - hearing the cracking sound on there would not be good.

That's a mighty big puddle. :)
    My Strava
  • Fully light this morning, no rain, light breeze, traffic backed up for much longer than usual so feeling especially self-righteous on the way in.
  • First ride on Open Pave's. Simple pleasures!
  • wolfsbane2k
    For the first time since I started commuting, I've made it in without dropping into the granny front ring.
    And there wasn't a tail wind either :)

That and light in the mornings and evenings now - at last!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nice ride in ....
  • Just commuted my 18 miles to work 10 minutes quicker than last time I did it (admittedly the last time was a bit slow, and -2 degrees celcius)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    had a nice chat with a white van man who wound down the window at traffic lights. WTF - what is the world coming to? No need to worry; we have not slipped into a twilight zone where people are friendly to cyclists - he was Dutch
  • First ride on Open Pave's. Simple pleasures!

What are they like - considered these...
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Carradice. Aren't they wonderful?

For those that know me, you'll know that I always ride with one of these oversized man satchels attached to my saddle. Last week, the leather loop that's stitched to my Nelson longflap which the seatpost strap attaches to decided to snap due to wear and tear. I emailed Carradice customer services to ask the best way to get it fixed, and they've told me to send the bag to them, and they'll fix it free of charge. Can't argue with that!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Carradice. Aren't they wonderful?

Had similar CS from them myself. Bought a pair of Super C panniers but only used one bag and through use the strap that clipped the pannier to the rack/frame started to comer adrift at one end, a quick phone call later and a new strap was in the post and I had to return the faulty strap to them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Hats off to the cyclist this morning approaching Waterloo Station wearing the jersey emblazoned with "Fat lad at the back". Made me smile.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • wolfsbane2k
    condorman wrote:
    Hats off to the cyclist this morning approaching Waterloo Station wearing the jersey emblazoned with "Fat lad at the back". Made me smile.

It's a brand, one I've been looking at for a while ; http://fatladattheback.com
  • redvee
    condorman wrote:

It's a brand, one I've been looking at for a while ; http://fatladattheback.com

Been wanting one for ages but was unsure of sizing given the generous fit for the MAMIL with MAS so bought one from them at the cycle show last September at the NEC, bit expensive for my wallet at £50 and only one or two comments from work colleagues :(
    They also do Fat Lass At The Back jersies for the larger lady.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited March 2016
    I'm going to ride my bike this weekend.

The proper one.
    The one with gears.
    The one that isn't attached to the turbo indoors.
    There will be a few hills.
    None of them will be the ramp up to Canary Wharf.

I'm not going to run anywhere.

I'm going to ride my bike.

And on Saturday the new coffee machine arrives. I'm going to spend the day butchering espresso, then cutting up floorboards and running network cable around the house so that I can play games with less latency on the TV downstairs.

Power tools, coffee and games. Like a real live boy.

Also, the missus will be out so I'll be allowed to.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    dhope wrote:

The proper one.

ditto

The one with nice tyres not wooden marathon+
    The one with drop handlebars and real brakes none of these new fangled but actually work disc thingies.
    The one without mounts, fenders, and various useful stuff

And I shall ride for 50 miles - turn around and come home again; there will be coffee and maybe even cake
  • wolfsbane2k
    dhope wrote:

So jealous.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    dhope wrote:

The proper one.
    The one with gears.
    The one that isn't attached to the turbo indoors.
    There will be a few hills.
    None of them will be the ramp up to Canary Wharf.

I'm not going to run anywhere.

I'm going to ride my bike.

And on Saturday the new coffee machine arrives. I'm going to spend the day butchering espresso, then cutting up floorboards and running network cable around the house so that I can play games with less latency on the TV downstairs.

What do you play, dhope? I can try and beat you to Surrey hills tomorrow and then online ^ ^
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    I'm bunking off at 3 and the sun is shining, it's not windy and I'm on my bike. Unfortunately I have to go straight home and then pick the female child up from my folks though. Might take the longer route via Richmond and the park though.
  • Spent twenty seconds or so behind a lovely-bottomed lady in semi-transparent leggings this morning, admiring her very visible undergarments. Unfortunately my competitive nature/guilty conscience wouldn't allow me to pootle behind her once we left the shared-use path and I had to overtake her and leave the lovely view behind. Hopefully the arrival of spring will bring many more such pleasurable distractions.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mamil314 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

What do you play, dhope? I can try and beat you to Surrey hills tomorrow and then online ^ ^

This eve/tomorrow will be Xcom 2 now they've released a patch to fix the initial crap release. I'm PC/Steam only these days.
    And Kent hills (Sunday) for me rather than Surrey, Vo2 sportive route
    https://www.strava.com/routes/4309797
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • redvee
    Spent twenty seconds or so behind a lovely-bottomed lady in semi-transparent leggings this morning, admiring her very visible undergarments. Unfortunately my competitive nature/guilty conscience wouldn't allow me to pootle behind her once we left the shared-use path and I had to overtake her and leave the lovely view behind. Hopefully the arrival of spring will bring many more such pleasurable distractions.

Can beat that, I was following two pert bums in similar leggings for a while but I made the mistake of freewheeling my Hope rear hub and they moved aside to let me pass. I did thank them but what for, the view or moving aside?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    dhope wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

This eve/tomorrow will be Xcom 2 now they've released a patch to fix the initial crap release. I'm PC/Steam only these days.
    And Kent hills (Sunday) for me rather than Surrey, Vo2 sportive route
    https://www.strava.com/routes/4309797

That's nearly 2km of climb! No wonder you guys are so quick.

While i did enjoy Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep back in the day, as a recovering video game addict, i'd better stay away, however tempting ^ ^