Slow Rides For Unfit People - Rutland ROAD Ride Sun 9th Sept

Comments

• CHESLEY SAID......Big fat knobbly ones........ I've just treated myself to 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings, heard good things about em and heard bad things about em, but at £10 each I thought the only way to find out was to try em.

Initial reports are that they were a bugger to get on the rims!!!!!![/quote]

£10 each !!!!! (':o') where from, might get a set........ i take it at that price they are beaded and not folding ?
    Am currently running nobby nics (bloody expensive but very light).
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • davewalsh wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:
    28th of Feb is fine by me, I'll be there.
    I've also got space in the car if anyone needs a lift from the Wigan / Bolton area.

Davewalsh. am in southport and going too, fancy meeting up for a convoy? am not to far from you, where exactly are you?

I'm from Aspull, about 5 mins from J6 of the M61. If you're going up the A59 to Preston to join the motorway, we could meet at Rivington services ?

Yeah rivvy services is ok for a meet, what time you expect to be there ?

EDIT.....Have just looked on googlemaps at m61, it's easier for me to go thru wigan and into aspull to j6 than going all the way to preston, i know the area quite well (am a coach driver!)
    Don't worry, i won't be turning up in a coach !!!!!!!!! What time you leaving Aspull ??

We might as well swap moby numbers thru a pmessage ?

I was planning on leaving about 8:30. Shall we meet outside the Moorgate pub, it's just at the end of my street. If you're coming up from Wigan if you go straight across the big junction in the middle of Aspull, the pub is on your left after 500 yards, at the junction of Stanley Rd and Scot Lane.

Just sent PM with mobile number.
  • davewalsh wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:
    28th of Feb is fine by me, I'll be there.
    I've also got space in the car if anyone needs a lift from the Wigan / Bolton area.

Davewalsh. am in southport and going too, fancy meeting up for a convoy? am not to far from you, where exactly are you?

I'm from Aspull, about 5 mins from J6 of the M61. If you're going up the A59 to Preston to join the motorway, we could meet at Rivington services ?

Yeah rivvy services is ok for a meet, what time you expect to be there ?

EDIT.....Have just looked on googlemaps at m61, it's easier for me to go thru wigan and into aspull to j6 than going all the way to preston, i know the area quite well (am a coach driver!)
    Don't worry, i won't be turning up in a coach !!!!!!!!! What time you leaving Aspull ??

We might as well swap moby numbers thru a pmessage ?

I was planning on leaving about 8:30. Shall we meet outside the Moorgate pub, it's just at the end of my street. If you're coming up from Wigan if you go straight across the big junction in the middle of Aspull, the pub is on your left after 500 yards, at the junction of Stanley Rd and Scot Lane.

Just sent PM with mobile number.

That's great Dave, no probs there, have sent you a pm reply with my number.

Cheers Ste.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • sorry but have to give this a miss. :?
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    CHESLEY SAID......Big fat knobbly ones........ I've just treated myself to 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings, heard good things about em and heard bad things about em, but at £10 each I thought the only way to find out was to try em.

Initial reports are that they were a bugger to get on the rims!!!!!!

£10 each !!!!! (':o') where from, might get a set........ i take it at that price they are beaded and not folding ?
    Am currently running nobby nics (bloody expensive but very light).[/quote]

They were £10 each at chainreactioncycles before xmas. Currently showing as £12.99 for beaded but out of stock. Folding are £18.99.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • i might see if we're up for this, been trying to get the better half out on her bike since autumn, and this could be perfect, i might just come myself.
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    CHESLEY SAID......Big fat knobbly ones........

You can get cream for that now..... :shock:

oops wrong thread :wink:

Was out and about locally and really looking forward to the 28th now.... got some shiney new bits to fit before hand.... so obviously I'll be the ones having the mechs that day. :roll:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    been doing lots of training for this ride, well for the unfit part anyway. by not going out on my bike. those hills had better watch out for the sound of a large group of mtb'ers wheezing there way up (pushing the bikes of course)
    what are brakes for again
  • [quote="
    FROSTYS SAID.......
    Was out and about locally and really looking forward to the 28th now.... got some shiney new bits to fit before hand.... so obviously I'll be the ones having the mechs that day. :roll:[/quote]

Oh no, that means i'll have to bring the workshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley
    Frostys wrote:

Was out and about locally and really looking forward to the 28th now.... got some shiney new bits to fit before hand.... so obviously I'll be the ones having the mechs that day. :roll:

I think not, been out a couple of times so far this week and apart from the worrying knocking noise coming from the front forks the front mech isn't behaving, it won't drop into the granny ring and the display on the shifter doesn't move to show what front ring I'm in. I think a trip to the LBS is in order (if I can be arsed to wash it) as the last time I tried to adjust gears myself it all went horribly wrong.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    Frostys wrote:

I think not, been out a couple of times so far this week and apart from the worrying knocking noise coming from the front forks the front mech isn't behaving, it won't drop into the granny ring and the display on the shifter doesn't move to show what front ring I'm in. I think a trip to the LBS is in order (if I can be arsed to wash it) as the last time I tried to adjust gears myself it all went horribly wrong.

Oh hells bells!!! Looks like i'll have to stash plenty of the old surgical rubber gloves in me backpack..........NO NO NO.....not for 'medical reasons'':roll:' FOR MECHANICAL REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • CHESLEY........ Does the knocking noise appear when you apply front brake and it may feel like your headbearings are loose?????? If so then it's prob the bushings, maybe new bushings are required, my marzocchi's have this prob, its only slight but the forks still function ok...........for the riding we'll be doing i guess they will be ok ...... a bushing service can cost £50 plus...and a good week in your LBS, (The chances of them having the correct bushins in stock is limited)

Get yer gears fettled and up to scratch and you'll be ok.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley
    CHESHLEY........ Does the knocking noise appear when you apply front brake and it may feel like your headbearings are loose?????? If so then it's prob the bushings, maybe new bushings are required, my marzocchi's have this prob, its only slight but the forks still function ok...........for the riding we'll be doing i guess they will be ok ...... a bushing service can cost £50 plus...and a good week in your LBS, (The chances of them having the correct bushins in stock is limited)

Get yer gears fettled and up to scratch and you'll be ok.

Fixed that for ya :wink:

Probably right about the bushings, that's the problem I had on the 'zocchis on my Marin. I'm not worried about them affecting the ride tho. I'd rather get the bushings in and a service manual and have a go at doing them myself. I changed all the bearings in the rear suspension linkages last Summer but sorting the gears has always been something I just can't get my head around :oops:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    [quote="
    FROSTYS SAID.......

[/quote]

Does that mean you'll be bringing the 10mm spanner AND the allen key ya get from Ikea? :wink:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    [quote="
    FROSTYS SAID.......

Does that mean you'll be bringing the 10mm spanner AND the allen key ya get from Ikea? :wink:[/quote]

10MM SPANNER......ALLEN KEY...........BLOODY HAMMER MORE LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!':shock:'
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Frostys
    I'll bring the gaffa tape then we have all the bases covered cos if ya can't fix it with gaffa tape AND a hammer well...... its just fecked :lol:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    I'll bring the gaffa tape then we have all the bases covered cos if ya can't fix it with gaffa tape AND a hammer well...... its just fecked :lol:

Well if you are gonna be there with yer gaffa tape an me with me hammer i reckon everyone else will shoot up them hills quicker than they have ever ridden just to get away from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':lol:'
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • oh man, can't do a sunday, that's annoying. all the best to people going, and organising it.

it's a brilliant idea.
  • Cheshley
    oh man, can't do a sunday, that's annoying. all the best to people going, and organising it.

it's a brilliant idea.

Thanks mate, hopefully this won't be the last time we do this so keep an eye out for updates.

:D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    What with it being grim oop north and all I would appreciate some pre ride advice.

1 How does one sport ones flat cap is it under or over the helmet?

2 Does anyone have any advice on fitting spd cleats to clogs?

3 Is it the done thing to have ones whippet run along side you or is one required to provide alternative transport for it ie in a camelback or such like

thanks in advance
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    What with it being grim oop north and all I would appreciate some pre ride advice.

3 Is it the done thing to have ones whippet run along side you or is one required to provide alternative transport for it ie in a camelback or such like

thanks in advance

Maybe i can answer all three question for you, because i also live ooop north.

1. If i wore a flat cap t' helmet is out of the equation!!!!!

2. Clogs would be fastened ter pedals wi' gaffa tape!!!!!!

3. Mi whippet would be trained to pull me along!!!!!!!!

':?'':?'
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley
    Frostys wrote:

thanks in advance

Maybe I could respond to your post by asking a question of my own.....

How many bricks would be needed to stop the body of a shandy drinking southerner floating to the surface of Ladybower Reservoir......? :wink:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley wrote:
    Frostys wrote:

thanks in advance

Maybe I could respond to your post by asking a question of my own.....

How many bricks would be needed to stop the body of a shandy drinking southerner floating to the surface of Ladybower Reservoir......? :wink:

':idea:' I think your question would be a good topic to discuss whilst on t' ride cheshley

Maybe a solution can be found!!!!!!!
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Is it ok to make a very last minute decision or just turn up on the day for this?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Cheshley
    dan1502 wrote:
    Is it ok to make a very last minute decision or just turn up on the day for this?

Of course it is mate.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Great, I have now collected together pretty much all the gear I need and am trying to improve my fitness levels but also have so many commitments at the moment that it's hard to make plans. Hopefully see you there.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502 wrote:
    Great, I have now collected together pretty much all the gear I need and am trying to improve my fitness levels but also have so many commitments at the moment that it's hard to make plans. Hopefully see you there.

I wouldn't worry to much about your fitness levels, we ain't going to legg it anyway, just make sure you are prepared for the weather and any breakdowns, by that i mean spare inner tubes, chainlinks that sort of thing.

The ride will be more of a 'get to know the area and meet up with other mtbers' kind of scene, leisurly paced and enjoyable.

We have a knowledgible guide in CHESHLEY and i'm playing mechanic.

Welcome to the 'clan' hope to see you there.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley
    dan1502 wrote:

I wouldn't worry to much about your fitness levels, we ain't going to legg it anyway, just make sure you are prepared for the weather and any breakdowns, by that i mean spare inner tubes, chainlinks that sort of thing.

The ride will be more of a 'get to know the area and meet up with other mtbers' kind of scene, leisurly paced and enjoyable.

We have a knowledgible guide in CHESHLEY and i'm playing mechanic.

Welcome to the 'clan' hope to see you there.

Did you not read the disclaimer in the original post....? :wink:

I have to admit to really looking forward to this ride and hope that it isn't a one-off event. Someone has already mentioned riding Cut Gate in May, I'd like to have a go at Follow The Dog at Cannock Chase and at the end of the Summer I intend having a day at Llandegla. If any of the 'clan' fancy putting together a non-too-taxing ride around trails they know or want me to put together a different route for the Summer, I'm sure we can keep this up.

That reminds me, I need a couple of spare powerlinks......
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    dan1502 wrote:

Dan the whole point of this ride was that it was for NON racing snakes who could get together have a good ride and a few laughs without the pressure to keep up. I think we're all pretty much in the same boat fitness wise and if you read Cheshleys opening statement about the ride it will confirm what I am saying.

So come on get that new Kona 29er dirty... ya know it makes sense :wink:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys
    Would anyone be interested in a day out in the Chilterns or Woburn during the late spring early summer?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S