Slow Rides For Unfit People - Rutland ROAD Ride Sun 9th Sept

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Bamford to Ladybower is a couple of miles,steep uphill from the Station at first but ok from then on.If starting from Fairholmes VC add on a couple more.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Pretty long drag up from the station through Bamford (I think so anyway). If you can get somewhere central in Sheffield, and I can borrow another bike rack from a mate, I might be able to pick you up on the way through town.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    Pretty long drag up from the station through Bamford (I think so anyway). If you can get somewhere central in Sheffield, and I can borrow another bike rack from a mate, I might be able to pick you up on the way through town.

Hi Chesley - I live practically in the city centre so that would be really useful but only if you have space - don't worry if not.

Regards
    Raj :D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • Cheshley
    Wicked2627 wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

Hi Chesley - I live practically in the city centre so that would be really useful but only if you have space - don't worry if not.

Regards

I'll make enquiries over the weekend and get back to ya.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    edited February 2010
    CHESLEY, are you able to mark the route on your os map and email a copy of it to me, i've sent you a pm with my email address.

Also the meet point, looking on google maps under sattelite view i see the l/bower inn, just a few yards south is a building partly obscured by trees with a car park next to it, is that the meet point ?
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • davewalsh wrote:
    28th of Feb is fine by me, I'll be there.
    I've also got space in the car if anyone needs a lift from the Wigan / Bolton area.

Davewalsh. am in southport and going too, fancy meeting up for a convoy? am not to far from you, where exactly are you?
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    edited February 2010
    CHESLEY, are you able to mark the route on your os map and email a copy of it to me, i've sent you a pm with my email address.

Also the meet point, looking on google maps under terrain i see the l/bower inn, just a few yards south is a building partly obscured by trees with a car park next to it, is that the meet point ?

CHESLEYplease ignore my post quoted above regarding the meet point, i have just noticed your post regarding the change of meet, is it the derwent cycle building on derwent rd ?
    Thats what googlemaps points me to.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley

Also the meet point, looking on google maps under terrain i see the l/bower inn, just a few yards south is a building partly obscured by trees with a car park next to it, is that the meet point ?

please ignore my post quoted above regarding the meet point, i have just noticed your post regarding the change of meet, is it the derwent cycle building on derwent rd ?
    Thats what googlemaps points me to.

Copy this into Google Maps: 53.400412, -1.742291
    This is the starting point. As you drop into the visitor's centre off the roundabout (3rd exit), the main building is on your right and just after that on the right you'll see the road goes up steeply towards an upper level and the exit. I should be parked on the upper level. If (as has been previously mentioned) the car park is full, leave the car park, back onto the road and head back towards the A57, about 100ish yards on the left there is a parking lay-by. Use this and bike back down to the visitor's centre (you've just saved yourself about 4 quid). I'll post a few days before the ride and confirm all this anyway. If the weather is crappy (which isn't unheard of in the Peak District in February) there shouldn't be a problem getting into the car park as the Ramblers will stay away. You're looking for an old burgundy Vauxhall Omega with roof bars and a 6ft 5 bloke on a Specialized FSR XC Comp. I'm going to print the Bike Radar logo and stick it in the car window!!!!!
    I'll see if I can scan the map and stick the route on it for you over the weekend.

Rich
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheers Rich, i got all that, just looked at it on google and no prob finding it, by the way how long is the route, i recall you mentioning around 18 miles is that right?

Will keep my eyes on my email inbox for the map also.

Cheers.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Wicked2627 wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

Regards

I'll have a couple of spaces on my rack and will be coming from Doncaster through Sheffield if you need a lift
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    Wicked2627 wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

Regards

I'll have a couple of spaces on my rack and will be coming from Doncaster through Sheffield if you need a lift

Thanks pal - that would be good as long as i'm not putting anyone out. Obviously i'd give petrol money as it saves me cycling for miles (and getting lost) at ridiculous hours on a Sunday morning :) Esp with mountain bike tyres and my lack of fitness!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    think I may make an appearence... if my ankles ok from when I bust it by then... :cry:
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • I'm sorry but I think we'll have to back out of this one, Hubby gave himself a hernia at work yesterday so we'll not be able to ride any technical stuff until he's been stuck back together :(
    I'm a bit upset on both counts
    Caz xxx
  • Cheshley
    I'm sorry but I think we'll have to back out of this one, Hubby gave himself a hernia at work yesterday so we'll not be able to ride any technical stuff until he's been stuck back together :(
    Caz xxx

Sorry to hear that Caz, hope Hubby recovers quickly.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Even bought the map of the area before I knew today lol....typical :lol:.
    Thanks Cheshley
    Caz xx
  • snow
    risk
    Friday 05th Feb 1°c 8°c 0mm 0% 0% View full forecast
    Saturday 06th Feb 0°c 8°c 0mm 0% 0% View full forecast
    Sunday 07th Feb -1°c 5°c 0mm 52% 0% View full forecast
    Monday 08th Feb -3°c 3°c 1mm 72% 0% View full forecast
    Tuesday 09th Feb -4°c 4°c 0mm 75% 0% View full forecast
    Wednesday 10th Feb -6°c 4°c 1mm 85% 10% View full forecast
    Thursday 11st Feb -7°c 2°c 0mm 0% 6% View full forecast
    Friday 12nd Feb -5°c 4°c 1mm 95% 0% View full forecast
    Saturday 13rd Feb -3°c 3°c 1mm 70% 0% View full forecast
    Sunday 14th Feb -3°c 3°c 2mm 75% 0% View full forecast

If you look on 12th feb the snow risk is predicted at 95%, hope this all clears for the 28th, have to keep an eye out on forecast chesley....... :?
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Frostys
    I'm sorry but I think we'll have to back out of this one, Hubby gave himself a hernia at work yesterday so we'll not be able to ride any technical stuff until he's been stuck back together :(
    Caz xxx

Sorry to hear that Caz hope hubby gets better soon and maybe we'll see ya on the next one.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    The ride photos got removed when I changed my albums around so here they are again
    P2030230.jpg
    P2030227.jpg

I'll leave the cat out this time around
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Cheshley
    snow
    risk

If you look on 12th feb the snow risk is predicted at 95%, hope this all clears for the 28th, have to keep an eye out on forecast chesley....... :?

I have a charity ride on 13th March (see link below) that I will have to get up and ride whatever the weather so this could be good 'bad weather' practice. I've never ridden in snow so it could be a fun day :D

@Caz, pretty sure this won't be the only time we do this so hang onto that map and maybe we'll see ya next time.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Frostys
    snow
    risk

hmmm that looks erm.... interesting :shock:

At least the ground will be nice and firm for easier rolling lol

Does anyone own a St Bernard... just in case
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Cheshley
    No, but Richie63 has a rather scary cat!!!!!

Forecast may look dodgy, but look at the amounts expected, 1mm, 2mm....... Hardly blizzard conditions.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley wrote:
    No, but Richie63 has a rather scary cat!!!!!

Hmmm, i think i would be inclined to agree with you on the 'scary' cat of richie63's

It's scarier than my rottweiler !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(':shock:')
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • sniper68
    We were around there today and 99% of the snow is now gone.Certain areas are now very boggy/muddy...so it's business as usual :D
  • Frostys
    ibbo68 wrote:
    We were around there today and 99% of the snow is now gone.Certain areas are now very boggy/muddy...so it's business as usual :D

Excellent normal service has been resumed.

best take the cityslickers off then.... :wink:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

Excellent normal service has been resumed.

best take the cityslickers off then.... :wink:

Leave the slickers on........you'll have more fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • ibbo68 wrote:

Hey ibbo68, being a regular around there yourself what tyres do you find are most suited to the terrain ??
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:

Hey ibbo68, being a regular around there yourself what tyres do you find are most suited to the terrain ??
    I use High Rollers Super tacky 42a front and 60a rear and have done for the past couple of years.A few guys i ride with use Minions.I also found Kenda Nevegals(stick-E) to be a good all year all rounder.
  • davewalsh wrote:
    I've also got space in the car if anyone needs a lift from the Wigan / Bolton area.

Davewalsh. am in southport and going too, fancy meeting up for a convoy? am not to far from you, where exactly are you?

I'm from Aspull, about 5 mins from J6 of the M61. If you're going up the A59 to Preston to join the motorway, we could meet at Rivington services ?
  • davewalsh wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:

I'm from Aspull, about 5 mins from J6 of the M61. If you're going up the A59 to Preston to join the motorway, we could meet at Rivington services ?

Yeah rivvy services is ok for a meet, what time you expect to be there ?

EDIT.....Have just looked on googlemaps at m61, it's easier for me to go thru wigan and into aspull to j6 than going all the way to preston, i know the area quite well (am a coach driver!)
    Don't worry, i won't be turning up in a coach !!!!!!!!! What time you leaving Aspull ??

We might as well swap moby numbers thru a pmessage ?
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • Cheshley
    ibbo68 wrote:

Big fat knobbly ones........ I've just treated myself to 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings, heard good things about em and heard bad things about em, but at £10 each I thought the only way to find out was to try em.

Initial reports are that they were a bugger to get on the rims!!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill