Slow Rides For Unfit People - Rutland ROAD Ride Sun 9th Sept

Comments

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I'm up for meeting for this ride if it happens on Sunday...sorry can't make Sat
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Right, we have someone who has expressed a preference for what day the ride happens. I have always said that the ride would go ahead on the day that suited the majority so at the minute, unless there is a massive outcry, I'm looking at Sunday 28th Feb.

comments/objections welcome.

Discuss.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    sounds good, im up for seeing some unseen parts with some one who no's where there going :lol:
    im easy sat or sunday but would have to see about booking the day off when a definet day has been decided.
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Sunday is good for me.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I'd be up for this, would make a nice change from Rivvy. Any day suits me !
  • Cheshley
    edited February 2010
    Ladies and Gentlemen it occurs to me that we could spend the next 4 weeks trying to accommodate everyone in terms of what day to ride. Why not pick a day and then everyone knows what they are doing.

So here it is, an executive decision........

SUNDAY 28th Feb 2010. Meeting at 9.30 for a 10:00 start in the car park across the road from the Ladybower Inn. If anyone doesn't know where this is, type 53.374857,-1.693709 into Google Maps and get directions. If you get stuck, PM me. If anyone who is travelling thinks that they might get there a few minutes late and wants my Mobli number, PM me but be aware that mobli reception is sketchy at best in the area.

You're looking for an old burgundy Vauxhall Omega with roofbars.

Apologies if anyone can't make that day, hopefully this won't be a one-off so maybe next time.....

Rich

EDIT: Starting point has changed to Ladybower visitor's centre.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley
    edited January 2010
    AMENDMENT:

I have been (semi) reliably informed that the car park opposite the pub gets closed outside opening hours so the starting point has been changed to the Visitor's centre at Ladybower reservoir. This also has the added bonus of having facilities to get changed if we happen to come back muddy. There is a charge for the car park but I think this is the better option. I'll be parking on the upper level.

I would give you the grid reference but Google Maps isn't playing today...

Please note that there is no mobli reception in the upper derwent valley so once I'm there you can't get hold of me.

This will be the last amendment.

honest. :?

Rich
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Sunday it is then

On a small point the carpark gets full quickly though there is parking on the approach road-which is free- so don't lose hope if you can't get parking at the visitors center.

car park grid ref from dark peak map 173 894
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Suits me too, again anyone needing a lift from around Leeds/Wakefield pm me.
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Sunday suits me better as well , have you decided on a route yet ??
    Have you got tracklogs or memory map to plan your route on ?? or is it a good old map ??
    Wouldnt mind a trl or mm file if you have them ?

Cheers Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • Cheshley
    stumpym4 wrote:
    Sunday suits me better as well , have you decided on a route yet ??
    Have you got tracklogs or memory map to plan your route on ?? or is it a good old map ??
    Wouldnt mind a trl or mm file if you have them ?

Cheers Tony

I'm working from an OS map and my own knowledge of the area Tony. I'm pretty much decided on the route and moving the start has also enabled me to add on another climb :shock: Just thinking about which way to do the loop at the top end of the ride

If you want a point to point breakdown I'm sure that could be arranged but my technological prowess with computerised mapping is legendarily sh!te. :oops:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    28th of Feb is fine by me, I'll be there.
    I've also got space in the car if anyone needs a lift from the Wigan / Bolton area.
  • Great idea love to go but the Sunday is the Carling cup final Man Utd vs Aston Villa so i gotta watch that one, will anyone have a GPS with them so the route can be posted on here ?
    Have a great day shame it was'nt the Sat
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    This sounds good, might have to show my face for this one.
  • Cheshley
    cairnman wrote:
    Great idea love to go but the Sunday is the Carling cup final Man Utd vs Aston Villa so i gotta watch that one, will anyone have a GPS with them so the route can be posted on here ?
    Have a great day shame it was'nt the Sat

If anyone can let me know of a tracking system that will work on a Nokia N96 I'll see if I can track it as we go but otherwise I can let you know the route using OS map and a point to point commentary.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• bamba
    you should be able to download nokia sportstracker for your phone for free, there are a few different gps trackers around for most phones, so long as you have a built in gps receiver.
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/download.do
  • stumpym4
    Once the routes been decided, any chance of you putting it up on bikley.com ??
    That way i can download it too my gps :D .... or i can copy that into tracklogs or memory map
    Have a look on bikely as there are plenty of ladybower routes already on there ..

Ladybower routes :

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/ladybower

Cheers Tony
    On One 853 single speed
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • Cheshley
    Is it just me or is anyone else unable to get anything on Google Maps or any application that uses Google Maps......?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• stumpym4
    Cheshley wrote:
    Is it just me or is anyone else unable to get anything on Google Maps or any application that uses Google Maps......?

Try it on bikely ....

Just sent you a few squids for your bhf ride as well ... excellent work ..
    done a few of these myself
    On One 853 single speed
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • Cheshley
    Thanks mate, that's much appreciated.

I've tried Bikely, just gives a blank area saying that they don't have maps for that zoom level, the same as it does when I go into Google Maps directly even when I pull the zoom level right out.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• stumpym4
    Cheshley wrote:
    Thanks mate, that's much appreciated.

I've tried Bikely, just gives a blank area saying that they don't have maps for that zoom level, the same as it does when I go into Google Maps directly even when I pull the zoom level right out.

Strange ?? .. bikely zooms in ok for me ?

Tony
    On One 853 single speed
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • Cheshley
    Nokia Sportstracker..............................................?

According to this system, in the last 42 minutes I have travelled 0.55 miles and my altitude has increased from 34 feet to 237 feet.

I haven't left the sofa!!!!!

Doesn't appear to be very reliable. Still can't get on Googlemaps or any site that bases their tracking software on it.

Bugger it.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    try viewranger you can get a free trial for it (not sur if its 15 or 30 days) you can export in a google compatable format

and you can buy maps (software included) from about £15

as to the traveling whilst standing still issue (ive not ried the nokia software) if its like viewranger its down to your gps settings *you can set min moved distance before it counts it as moving

http://www.viewranger.com/
    what are brakes for again
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Cheshley wrote:

According to this system, in the last 42 minutes I have travelled 0.55 miles and my altitude has increased from 34 feet to 237 feet.

Doesn't appear to be very reliable. Still can't get on Googlemaps or any site that bases their tracking software on it.

Bugger it.

i've heard of these alien abductions, luckily you're technology has it all recorded.
  • bamba
    Cheshley wrote:

Bugger it.

It dosnt work too well indoors, requires a good satilite fix from 5 satilites i think in order to coordinate your location, most gps trackers still give some odd readings when being bounced around in a back pack down a hill side, had no probs with mine.

have a look
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/dashboard/index.do
  • Cheshley
    kangaroo wrote:
    try viewranger you can get a free trial for it (not sur if its 15 or 30 days) you can export in a google compatable format

and you can buy maps (software included) from about £15

as to the traveling whilst standing still issue (ive not ried the nokia software) if its like viewranger its down to your gps settings *you can set min moved distance before it counts it as moving

http://www.viewranger.com/

I have an older version of the Viewranger National Parks maps. It says it has track logging so I'll install it when I've got a new data cable and see what it does.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    Hi can anyone tag along for this ride ?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Cheshley wrote:

Bugger it.

You need to be outside, it cant pinpoint your location indoors too well, my Garmin 605 does the same.
  • Cheshley
    maloo wrote:
    Hi can anyone tag along for this ride ?

Yup, just make sure you're at the meet ready to go at 10am.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    thanks, looking forward to it :D