Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2010

Comments

• eyepea0 wrote:
    Quite good conditions with only light south westerly breeze, and not cold.
    Not so many excuses this week (reckon still a few of Saturday's 24 soggy ascents of Hoggenberg left in the legs, and maybe total 20 secs of traffic delays on laps 1 and 2)
    Happy with that in March.
    Only 7 seconds slower than your best time of last year, which was 2nd place at the end of the year, I should hope you're happy with it!

What time of day were you out? The traffic was terrible when I was out around 2pm.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    eyepea0...................Anti........80kg......50:05........Mar........LD.......1st cat
    mark_d...................Anti........61kg......54:38........Mar........LD.......AP 269W NP 276W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......54.50........Mar........KW.......Cat 3 zero points...AP 322W NP 340W
    Petromyzon..............Anti........76kg......55.24........Mar........LD.......AP 301W NP 309W
    Damien Breen........Anti.......60ishkg..55.48.......Mar........KW.......Cat 3
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    TarmacExpert..........Anti.........72kg......56:07.........Mar.......KW.......AP 277W NP 287W
    RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........70kg......56:50........Mar.......LD........Sportive
    mathammond............Anti.........82kg......57:20........Mar.......N/A.......Leisure
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......58:44........Mar........N/A.......Triathlete
    Rushie.....................Anti........77kg......58:46.........Mar.......TCC.......Sportive/Cat4
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    Rushie.....................Anti........78kg......60:08.........Mar.......TCC.......Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    greeny12..............Anti........87kg......60.57........Mar........N/A.......Fitness/sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    TheStone.................Anti.........91kg......63:35........Mar.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......63.57.......Mar....................Fitness
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......67.28........Mar.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    Guinea.....................Anti........89kg......71.11........Mar........none.........Fun
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Beat last year's pre-resurface time by a whole second (!) this morning. Fuelled by mother's cherry crumble and the ignominy of showing up to my first race yesterday (Thruxton) only to find that the new cleats I'd bought were Deltas and not Keos and therefore I couldn't race. Doh! does not get close. Not even a schoolboy error - the schoolboys riding in the first race seemed to have the right cleats. Lesson learned - ride the bike before getting to the race, especially if you've put new stuff on it (shakes head). Still, RP3 time's going the right way.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    eyepea0...................Anti........80kg......50:05........Mar........LD.......1st cat
    mark_d...................Anti........61kg......54:38........Mar........LD.......AP 269W NP 276W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......54.50........Mar........KW.......Cat 3 zero points...AP 322W NP 340W
    Petromyzon..............Anti........76kg......55.24........Mar........LD.......AP 301W NP 309W
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    TarmacExpert..........Anti.........72kg......56:07.........Mar.......KW.......AP 277W NP 287W
    RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........70kg......56:50........Mar.......LD........Sportive
    mathammond............Anti.........82kg......57:20........Mar.......N/A.......Leisure
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......58:44........Mar........N/A.......Triathlete
    Rushie.....................Anti........77kg......58:46.........Mar.......TCC.......Sportive/Cat4
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    greeny12..............Anti........87kg......60.57........Mar........N/A.......Fitness/sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    TheStone.................Anti.........91kg......63:35........Mar.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......63.57.......Mar....................Fitness
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......67.28........Mar.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    Guinea.....................Anti........89kg......71.11........Mar........none.........Fun
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Sorry, now removed previous time.
  • eyepea0
    eyepea0 Posts: 33
    Only 7 seconds slower than your best time of last year, which was 2nd place at the end of the year, I should hope you're happy with it!

What time of day were you out? The traffic was terrible when I was out around 2pm.

started about 5.50pm I think. Was not too much traffic but got little unlucky couple of times on first and second lap, Police next to junction to Ham gate meant overtaking had to be curbed. Completely clear run for last lap.
    last year I had a few brief good spells that saved my season (and avoided descent to 2nd cat). This year started much better and fairly confident that will do better than last year's winning time...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @eyepea0 - that's a seriously impressive time!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    cjcp wrote:
    @eyepea0 - that's a seriously impressive time!
    Yes, ditto that, Chris! I would be happy with Ian's first effort of 54 minutes! I haven't even had a go this year yet anyway. Still, its good to see people making good use of the best conditions of the year so far but I thought there would be more times posted...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Bush75
    Bush75 Posts: 29
    Pleased to get under the hr for first time this year - especially as westerly wind, dodgy cleats (new ones needed tonight) and evening traffic slowed me a little.

Bush75...................Anti........78kg......58:52.........Mar.......LRC.......Sportive/Cat4
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Great time IP, as ever:) Just wondering, what does your training week tend to look like?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Bush75...................Anti........78kg......58:52.........Mar.......LRC.......Sportive/Cat4
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......63.10.......Mar....................Fitness

A real struggle down the hill to Kingston Gate and also difficult due to a stomach upset (its getting all us big names :cry: ). An improvement on last week though. :)
  • eyepea0
    eyepea0 Posts: 33
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Great time IP, as ever:) Just wondering, what does your training week tend to look like?

During the week I manage one x 1-1.25 hours in Regents Park (replaced by Palace in summer) plus one ~50 min turbo session or hill repeats session. Occasionally fit in three mid-week sessions but only one is more common than three. Weekend will be 1.5 hours tempo plus race or 2-3.5 hours base miles. And ride to work (slowly and/or spinning) 4 times per week - 13k each way. Always one day completely off bike.

Nothing complicated or fancy and not a huge amount, but my recovery is not good enough to meaningful do much more.
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Thanks for that, not sure whether to be reassured or terrified that you are that strong on a sensible amount of training!

I commute a similar distance to you 5 days a week and try and train Tue, Thur, Sat, Sun. I think taking Monday or Friday completely off the bike might help me feel less knackered but I can never face 90 min on a bus in traffic when a cheeky spin in takes me 50! Ho hum.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I've been in the park the last three days. I'm just putting base miles in.

I'm not showing any speed improvement although today was especially slow in the westerly wind. I don't think there'll be many fastest lap times from this weekend.

Polica on Saywers Hill pulling in cars. A BMW was pulled over for about 40 minutes and a Merc got towed away. No idea what for, but it made a bit of a traffic jam.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Miserable in the park this afternoon. Cold and wet and windy so bailed after 2 laps and came home for a cup of tea.

Next time......
  • Terrific progress from all and sundry.
    Guinea it's great to see you back. You know what it's like coming from nowhere - a drag to do it all over again but at least you know you can!
    I'll ignore Ian (it's just not fair) but big improvements from the big cloud, tarmac, jibber, bush, rush etc. to encourage the rest of us.

Traffic will be even worse this year than last. I think early weekend starts on cloudy days are where it's at, even though the lower temperatures increase the drag.

More importantly, please keep it safe when overtaking cars (nobody will penalise you for a few seconds more drafting) and enjoy the scenery of the best 'urban' park in the UK/Europe/the World. We are lucky........ (except Mr Felgen who's too damn far away)
  • cjcp
    Traffic will be even worse this year than last. I think early weekend starts on cloudy days are where it's at, even though the lower temperatures increase the drag.

Yep, and the other option is around 7pm on those balmy June evenings. (Oh God, they feel a long way off after the weather we've had the last two days. My feet have been freezing - overshoes knackered.)
    More importantly, please keep it safe when overtaking cars (nobody will penalise you for a few seconds more drafting) and enjoy the scenery of the best 'urban' park in the UK/Europe/the World. We are lucky........ (except Mr Felgen who's too damn far away)

+1. Was in there tonight. It's great to have somewhere like that to rack up the miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • GraemeB wrote:
    Just wanted to let you all know of a new website I've done. Please have a look at www.lapchallenge.co.uk when you get chance.

The idea is for everyone to be able to record their 3 lap times and then challenge each other to races. The site is also for runners who do the 1 lap running route around the park.
    Thanks for producing this Graeme - looks very elegant and user friendly to me.
    I've registered and uploaded for both challenges.
    I don't remember doing that sort of kink in the running route near the Ham Gate (I thought the path I took followed closer to the road, but might just be my poor memory), so I've added a bit to my time to adjust. You've given me an incentive to run more than once a month - if I'm challenged I'll be hard put to hit 51 mins!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Il Principe..............Anti.......75kg....60:40..............Mar......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......63.10.......Mar....................Fitness

From last Sunday - bumped into Jonginge and had a bit of a chat 3/4 round the final lap so eased off a little. Still a huge improvement from Feb though. It was a tad blowy as well!
  • I am slightly ashamed to admit I joined the forum solely to post today's time. Nasty wind today. How can it always feel against you when you're going round in circles? Had to slow to go round road works.

jamesjarvis................Anti........63kg.......58:37........Apr.....................
    Il Principe..............Anti.......75kg....60:40..............Mar......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    What I learnt today - I've got a lot of scope to improve. I'd like to claim road works/wind/traffic, but to be brutally honest, my legs just weren't up to it. Quite a few roadies in the park - 3 dynamos and a few others....

jamesjarvis................Anti........63kg.......58:37........Apr.....................
    mroli.........................Anti..........68kg......65.47.........Apr.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
  • I am slightly ashamed to admit I joined the forum solely to post today's time. Nasty wind today.
    I did the same, and never admitted to any shame! This thread has a certain attraction.....

Good job you went out this morning - torrential rain and thunder right now.
  • I figured it was my last chance for a few days to get a ride done in decent weather.

I'm making a return to serious (i.e. obsessing over it to an unhealthy degree) cycling after seven years concentrating on distance running, which I've had to give up. I'm hoping to do the crits at Crystal Palace this year.
  • rhe
    rhe Posts: 15
    RHE......................Anti...........91kg........60.20........Apr......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    mroli.........................Anti..........68kg......65.47.........Apr.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive

This was my time last Sunday which was slowed due to being sent onto the grass and out of the cleats by an SUV, oh and the wind on the last lap - but 2 mins faster than the week before but a whole minute slower than my best of last year.

Seems a place to start 2010 although I never stopped just got slower in the cold.
  • eyepea0...................Anti........80kg......50:05........Mar........LD.......1st cat
    stevie becks........Anti..........76kg.......58:30.......Apr.......Sky.......Sportive
    RHE......................Anti...........91kg........60.20........Apr......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
  • eyepea0...................Anti........80kg......50:05........Mar........LD.......1st cat
    stevie becks........Anti..........76kg.......58:30.......Apr.......Sky.......Sportive
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........63.43.......Apr.......KW....Fitness/sportive

Wayhay, PB today in spite of blustery winds, a couple of deer stops, and an eejit in a Toyota minivan!
    Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........63.43.......Apr.......KW....Fitness/sportive
    G-Wiz..............Anti.......100kg....69:05......Apr......NA.......Fitness/Sportive

Did this yesterday and wasn't going to post until I'd had another crack, then looked at my rides from last year and I'm only about 20 seconds off my August PB.

I should thrash that given the winds yesterday morning and I'm a bit happier that the winter wasn't quite as wasted as I remember. 1st couple of weeks of the diet haven't gone too badly either.

Aim is to lose 10kg this year and try to break the hour barrier by end of August, but 9 minutes might be a bit of a task. What does anyone else think?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Aim is to lose 10kg this year and try to break the hour barrier by end of August, but 9 minutes might be a bit of a task. What does anyone else think?

With 10kg's lost, warmer weather, better wind, I think it's very likely, just have to keep working.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Just literally got back from Huddersfield. Felt a little left out reading of everyones Easter weekend racing. So thought I'd officially start my season off with an impromptu visit to RP. Second time in the park this year :oops: way off April 2009 times. Nevertheless its a start. :)

JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......54.50........Mar........KW......Cat 3 zero points...AP 322W NP 340W
    SPEEDOboy77.....Anti..........75kg.....55.32.......Apr.........KW.....Cat 4 No Power
    Damien Breen..........Anti.......60ishkg....55.48.......Mar........KW......Cat 3
    G-Wiz..............Anti.......100kg....69:05......Apr......NA.......Fitness/Sportive
    F[/b]
  • felgen
    Felt a little left out reading of everyones Easter weekend racing. So thought I'd officially start my season off with an impromptu visit to RP. Second time in the park this year :oops: way off April 2009 times. Nevertheless its a start. :)

Ditto, Wes, except for the part about being way off 2009 times. My attempt today was a comedy of errors. Meant to get up early to get to the park, and didn't manage it - arriving at 9.30am. The wind was brutal up Sawyers Hill and from Richmond gate to Ham gate, which meant that I was toasted by the time I had to climb Dark Hill. The traffic increased to stupid levels during my run, so each lap got more and more obstructed (splits 17.49, 18.44, 19.07) despite me putting in more and more effort. Then to cap it off, I dropped my glasses just after starting the last lap so had to stop, get off, wait for a gap in traffic, pick them up and get going again all the while with the clock running. I have no idea of how much delay that caused me, all I can say is a lot. Still, time posted, its a start.

mark_d................. ..Anti........61kg......54:38........Mar........LD.......AP 269W NP 276W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......54.50........Mar........KW......Cat 3 zero points...AP 322W NP 340W
    SPEEDOboy77..........Anti.........75kg.....55.32.......Apr.........KW.....Cat 4 No Power
    Felgen................Anti.........91kg....55.40.........April.........KW..........2nd cat *ahem*
    Damien Breen..........Anti.......60ishkg....55.48.......Mar........KW......Cat 3
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • cjcp
    jibberjim wrote:
    G-Wiz wrote:

With 10kg's lost, warmer weather, better wind, I think it's very likely, just have to keep working.

Very do-able. Go for it.

@Felgen - cracking time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • felgen
    cjcp wrote:
    @Felgen - cracking time.
    Thanks
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Sorry, missed this question. I think my first ever attempt was 67minutes or thereabouts at 97kg. I reckon you can do sub 60 no worries - but you have to work at it.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB