Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2010

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    First time in the park for months, thanks to the cr@p weather. Apart from gravel all over the place the road surface seems the same as last year. They should know better than to accept a cheap quote from door knockers!

tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Petromyzon..............Anti........75kg.....57.37........Jan........LD.......AP 297W NP 309W
    TarmacExpert..........Anti.......71kg.......57:41.........Mar.......KW........Swimmer...AP 259W NP 269W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless...AP 283W NP 313W
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......62:28........Jan........N/A.......Triathlete
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......68.12........Feb.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

a serious case of small cogs
  • Steve was fast time on new bike or old... Pretty quick for this time of year...

Day off tomorrow so will be in the park for 6 + med laps, then night ride if its not too cold. Have can of Fosters infront of me at moment so have no intent on any fast times :D

Cant belive its still just above freezing :twisted:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Does anyone train in the nights round the park? I am working and staying in croydon for couple of weeks so would not mind doing a few laps every night.
  • Steve was fast time on new bike or old... Pretty quick for this time of year...
    That was on the Tarmac, just the normal 30mm rims, no clip-ons, just a lot of good old fashioned getting down low on the drops. If I ever do a fast 3 laps on the TT bike, I'll label it as TT bike, I reckon it's around 1 minute per lap faster. It was pretty nice conditions for my 3 laps yesterday, nice and sunny and very little wind. I suspect today might have been even better.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Does anyone train in the nights round the park? I am working and staying in croydon for couple of weeks so would not mind doing a few laps every night.

You get quite a lot of deer and unlit runners/cyclists wondering into the road, so it's generally not a great idea to do fast laps in the dark.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    There is still a risk of ice at night, mostly on the sides of the road, as there are going to be some chilly nights. However, from now on the weather looks reasonably dry so this risk should be much reduced. With the extra warmth during the day as well it takes a long time for roads to dip below zero, if they do at all.
  • dungal
    dungal Posts: 3
    Hey guys...

I have been reading this thread for some time now ... and now a want to give this a go :D ...

but...

I'm in London few times a year for business and I want to bring my bike with me next time and perhaps stay one or two extra nights and try this out ... but I have no idea how to get to RP and when I'm there, where to start, the route, etc..

so, is there any maps, directions avalable??.. do you guys meet up on any certains days? and if so where, etc, etc

hope that someone can help me out ;)
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    There are several enterances to the park - where about in London will you be staying?
  • dungal
    I'm usually staying in the City... sometimes in Mayfair..
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond_park/

Embankment / New Kings Road / south over Putney Bridge

Stay in the crown of the road over Putney Bridge as you need a right turn before Putney High Street. Go along to Barnes where you can turn left up to the park and enter via Roehampton Gate (where there's a cake stop on your left). If you miss Barnes you can carry on to Sheen and turn left, entering via Sheen Gate.

Good luck
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    Most straight forward route would be via Kings road, across putney bridge, right turn into Lower richmond road and then get into park via Priory lane.
  • dungal
    Excellent....

thanks...

watch out for my name on your list soon ;)
  • oldwelshman
    I am staying in Croydon for a couple of weeks so will be the one with two bright lights and blue flashing rear light wizzing round :D Hoping to do a coupl of hilly rides one night if any gorup does this?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I am staying in Croydon for a couple of weeks so will be the one with two bright lights and blue flashing rear light wizzing round :D Hoping to do a coupl of hilly rides one night if any gorup does this?

When are you staying in Croydon? I'm not sure if anyone does hilly night rides (not too hilly round here :wink: ), but it's certainly possible to do some circuits of Richmond (just outside Richmond Gate). There are a couple of short, sharp climbs - Star & Garter Hill and Nightingale Lane (the latter kicks up to about 18% iirc) which can easily be included in the loop.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Petromyzon..............Anti........75kg.....57.37........Jan........LD.......AP 297W NP 309W
    TarmacExpert..........Anti.......71kg.......57:41.........Mar.......KW........Swimmer...AP 259W NP 269W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless...AP 283W NP 313W
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    Rushie.....................Anti........78kg......60:08.........Mar.......TCC.......Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......62:28........Jan........N/A.......Triathlete
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......68.12........Feb.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Dammit! Thought I was fitter than that. Despite losing some weight and doing some proper training, I'm still and a minute and a half off my best time last year. My only excuse this morning was the strong wind. And the BMW 4WD that didn't indicate. And my HRM didn't work. And I didn't sleep too well. And...

So - being positive, something to aim for (sigh).
  • Rushie wrote:
    Dammit! Thought I was fitter than that. Despite losing some weight and doing some proper training, I'm still and a minute and a half off my best time last year.
    That is a major benefit of having a power meter, that you can see what your performance was like in different conditions. You might actually be fitter now than when you went 90 seconds faster last year.

By coincidence, I did a 57:41 last year in the summer, exactly the same time as I did the other day. The one last summer only needed 245W, the one the other day 259W.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Thanks for trying to drag me out of my depression TarmacExpert :cry:. And I take your point - will be interesting to see how I get on in my next attempt next week if the wind dies down a bit.

And I'm sure power meters have major benefits; sadly their major demerit is missed mortgage replayment leading to repossession of house and possible divorce... :shock:

In the meantime I think my money might be better spent on fewer cakes.
  • oldwelshman
    cjcp wrote:

When are you staying in Croydon? I'm not sure if anyone does hilly night rides (not too hilly round here :wink: ), but it's certainly possible to do some circuits of Richmond (just outside Richmond Gate). There are a couple of short, sharp climbs - Star & Garter Hill and Nightingale Lane (the latter kicks up to about 18% iirc) which can easily be included in the loop.

I am there from next friday so will venture into the park and tag on with someone for a few laps and see if I meet some one who fancies evening rides, if not will stick to several lapr per night/morning.
  • cjcp
    Rushie wrote:
    Thanks for trying to drag me out of my depression TarmacExpert :cry:. And I take your point - will be interesting to see how I get on in my next attempt next week if the wind dies down a bit.

And I'm sure power meters have major benefits; sadly their major demerit is missed mortgage replayment leading to repossession of house and possible divorce... :shock:

In the meantime I think my money might be better spent on fewer cakes.

If it's any consolation, my time is about 8 mins off my PB last June and, at the moment, I haven't the foggiest how I'm going to get close to it. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

I am there from next friday so will venture into the park and tag on with someone for a few laps and see if I meet some one who fancies evening rides, if not will stick to several lapr per night/morning.

Might be worth dropping Addiscombe CC an email - Couldson isn't far from Croydon and they have a Saturday morning ride, so you might be able to tag along with them.

http://www.addiscombe.org/club-run

If you fancy a ride in the Surrey Hills on the Sunday, too, my club (Kingston Wheelers) organise a ride which starts at 9am.

Check out London Dynamo's website, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • oldwelshman
    Trouble is I am working, weekends also so have to do either early morning ride ( I do not like mornings due to possible ice ) or evening rides so club runs out of question :-(
  • The slightly warmer lunchtime weather yesterday and the north-easterly were good enough conditions to slot me in second, despite a few holdups. However, having held Tom's wheel this morning I know it won't last long.......

RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........70kg......56:50........Mar.......LD........Sportive
    Rushie.....................Anti........78kg......60:08.........Mar.......TCC.......Sportive
  • Trouble is I am working, weekends also so have to do either early morning ride ( I do not like mornings due to possible ice ) or evening rides so club runs out of question :-(
    Hi OW.
    The Dynamos do have an evening club ride, on Wednesday at 7:30pm, meeting at the Richmond entrance to Richmond Park. It's not hilly - they go towards Chertsey. It's normally reasonably quick, but it's not a chaingang, so depending on how you feel you don't have to take a turn at the front. Most of it's lit, but your decent lights won't go amiss. Mention that you're new/not a regular to someone who looks a bit more knowledgeable, since the size of the club means apparently 'new' faces are not rare.
    I won't be there as I'm lucky enough to be able to ride in daylight.
    Hope it works out, Nick.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    57:20 today, will update table when I get home later!
  • bigmat
    edited March 2010
    Finally managed to haul my ass round for 3 consecutive laps and pleasantly surprised to end up in a podium place (briefly in silver but too busy to log time this morning!) Found it pretty tough with the wind and traffic was getting annoying by lap 3 so plenty of room for improvement. Have been mainly running over winter with very little cycling, has been good to get a few pounds off and I found my pacing a lot more consistent than last year, a bit quicker up the hills but less power on the fast bits. If I can keep the weight down but build the power up (will start to focus on cycling in May) then could be on for some good times I hope.

RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........70kg......56:50........Mar.......LD........Sportive
    mathammond............Anti.........82kg......57:20........Mar.......N/A.......Leisure
  • oldwelshman
    Trouble is I am working, weekends also so have to do either early morning ride ( I do not like mornings due to possible ice ) or evening rides so club runs out of question :-(
    Hi OW.
    The Dynamos do have an evening club ride, on Wednesday at 7:30pm, meeting at the Richmond entrance to Richmond Park. It's not hilly - they go towards Chertsey. It's normally reasonably quick, but it's not a chaingang, so depending on how you feel you don't have to take a turn at the front. Most of it's lit, but your decent lights won't go amiss. Mention that you're new/not a regular to someone who looks a bit more knowledgeable, since the size of the club means apparently 'new' faces are not rare.
    I won't be there as I'm lucky enough to be able to ride in daylight.
    Hope it works out, Nick.
    Cheers will try to make one of these
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    MatHammond wrote:
    omb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    mathammond............Anti.........82kg......52:50........Mar.......N/A.......Leisure

Nice of you to try and make us feel better! Say 57:20 in the first post, put yourself in the right place as if it was a 57.20, but in reality you did a 52:50!

Impressive!

;-)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • bigmat
    Doh! Getting confused with last year, hopefully can edit that...
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Sorry Nick, I feel a bit harsh posting this given that your appearance on my wheel spurred me to a solid last lap and definitely pulled out more than the 3 sec I beat you by!

Petromyzon..............Anti........75kg......56.47........Jan........LD.......AP 299W NP 308W RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........70kg......56:50........Mar.......LD........Sportive
    mathammond............Anti.........82kg......52:50........Mar.......N/A.......Leisure
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training[/quote]
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Top work Tom! Can't wait to give this malarky a go come summer.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)