Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2010

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MatHammond wrote:
    Just had a play here...

http://bikecalculator.com/wattsUS.html

And my average power for my best 3 laps comes out at 317w. No accounting for gradient, wind etc though. What do the power stats actually tell us though?

I come in at about 284w-odd for my PB. That translates to tongue-hanging-out-all-the-way for me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Yup, I do *try* to pace it a bit unevenly in the interest of a good time as Jim says but I'm clearly not doing a very good job:) I always try to put some proper beans down going from Roehampton up to Richmond, a tailwind there seems to be the key to quick laps.

I've sort of conditioned myself to try and ride isopower in order to get solid 2x20s in in the park. Now I have the turbo for that so it's time to start freewheeling Broomfield and absolutely nutting it up Dark...

Going to try and make 3 laps a regular part of training this year and purposefully try different strategies. I'm going to bring in a bit more suprathreshold training than I currently do and see what difference that makes to my ability to burst and recover. No doubt tires, clothes, chain wear, wind, body weight, air density, PT calibration etc. will all confound but I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's data:)
  • Oops, scratch that bit about xPower and NP being very close. They are merely closeish: I have just checked and for the 297W ride my xPower was 304 W and my NP was 308 W, which goes some way to explaining Jim's surprise at my smoothness for the last two rides.
    Doh! I am a muppet.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive (SS 48x16)
    Petromyzon..............Anti........75kg.....57.37........Jan........LD.......AP 297W NP 309W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless...AP 283W NP 313W
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    TarmacExpert.........Clock.......71kg.......60:26........Jan.......KW........Swimmer...AP 245W NP 258W
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......62:28........Jan........N/A.......Triathlete
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......65.15........Jan........N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Had a little sneaky one in my "lunch hour"

Horrible day out there, strong north wind so no help to anyone, no cars on the headwind sections but slow annoying cars whenever I had a tailwind or a junction. More importantly I wasn't feeling that good either.

Good work out none-the-less.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive (SS 48x16)
    Petromyzon..............Anti........75kg.....57.37........Jan........LD.......AP 297W NP 309W
    JibberJim................. Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless...AP 283W NP 313W
    Big Red.....................Anti........97kg......59:34.........Jan.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    TarmacExpert.........Clock.......71kg.......60:26........Jan.......KW........Swimmer...AP 245W NP 258W
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.........82kg......62:28........Jan........N/A.......Triathlete
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......63:58........Jan........N/A.......Fitness
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......65.15........Jan........N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Rode 4 laps today round the park. First time this year. I wasn't exactly trying though and am quite happy with the time, not so happy about the weight however. I do expect the time to come down, hopefully the weight will come down accordingly :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    edited January 2010
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive

Finally my first post here, been following for a while but my times were too embarrassing to post, so today finally managed a 6 in front :lol:

Conditions were awesome this weekend, sat a bit better than sunday, though a broken bottle holder ruined a great lap and also my motivation, but returning today made it worth while and got rewarded by a PB :lol:

Street conditions were near perfect, the gravel is practically gone (it s much better than last weekend), no breaking down broomfield....otherwise few riders, traffic not too bad, a little bit of headwind up sawyer's....was real fun riding!!

Good luck to everybody and see you out there!
  • jibberjim
    bcss wrote:
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    Finally my first post here, been following for a while but my times were too embarrassing to post, so today made finally a 6 in front :lol:

Congrats, and glad you made it to post, you should never be embarrassed to post your time though, it's a great motivator to improve, and always remember there's a lot of people not on the list who are even slower than you!

PB'ing today, with a north west wind, and still in winter, means there's still plenty more free minutes to come later in the year, keep the training up and you'll be soon be "fast".
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......65.15........Jan.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive

Well my first attempt for the year, not overly pleased but then I only got back on the bike 2 weeks ago having been off since October recovering from a broken clavicle. By far and away the worst time I've ever done I think, much work to do on the fitness! Let's hope those times start decreasing soon.
  • bcss
    jibberjim wrote:
    bcss wrote:
    Finally my first post here, been following for a while but my times were too embarrassing to post, so today made finally a 6 in front :lol:

Congrats, and glad you made it to post, you should never be embarrassed to post your time though, it's a great motivator to improve, and always remember there's a lot of people not on the list who are even slower than you!

PB'ing today, with a north west wind, and still in winter, means there's still plenty more free minutes to come later in the year, keep the training up and you'll be soon be "fast".

thanks jibberjim, appreciate!
  • JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......65.15........Jan.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive

Hi, after a couple of years of plodding around RP I thought I'd start timing myself... wave as you go past the huffing bloke on the Trek 5500....
    Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!
  • Alright folks,

Might give it a go round RP this weekend - looks like conditions will be good (north easterly on Sat and ESE on Sun). About time I posted a time for this year!

Btw, can anyone give an indication of typical 10 mile TT times (flat course) in relation to RP 3 lap times? If I can do 3 laps in 58.57, what sort of time for a flat 10miler would I be looking at? Cheers!
  • jibberjim
    Btw, can anyone give an indication of typical 10 mile TT times (flat course) in relation to RP 3 lap times? If I can do 3 laps in 58.57, what sort of time for a flat 10miler would I be looking at? Cheers!

I did a 25 when in 54 minute time, but I was extremely un-aerodynamic, basically a bus, so that's likely an upper limit.
  • Thanks JJ - useful stuff. Should probably work on my position too - don't feel that comfortable on the drops so rarely use them...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    JonGinge wrote:
    In a spirit of sharing here's my garmin data from my 54:32:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3922152

OT a little - but I've just looked at that - it is the first time I've looked at the Garmin data and f&*k me, it is amazing. Speed, power, cadence etc etc, but you can also play it and move round the map! Very, very nice indeed. Got to find £300 now....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mroli wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    In a spirit of sharing here's my garmin data from my 54:32:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3922152

OT a little - but I've just looked at that - it is the first time I've looked at the Garmin data and f&*k me, it is amazing. Speed, power, cadence etc etc, but you can also play it and move round the map! Very, very nice indeed. Got to find £300 now....

Other than cadence and power, you can do all that on SportsTrack Live on Android, which is free. Costs a few quid if you want to upload stuff though. Might be worth a look until you've saved up for the Garmin?
  • Well, recorded my first three lap time of the year yesterday. Good conditions, but my legs were feeling tired from the start and I clocked 60.53. Overcooked it on the first lap with a 19.24, then gave up for about half a lap before I pulled myself together and posted a pedestrian 21.27 second lap. Polished it off with a 20.02.

Not much fun at all, but felt like a good work out. Niiiiice.

JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    Greasygrinder.........Anti.........75kg........66.55.......Jan.....wot?....Fitness/sportive
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What time were you in the park Abdou? I slotted in 6 laps between 1 and 3pm. Traffic was awful; the cops were ambushing; the deer were near the roads and the wind between robin hood and roehampton not that helpful. Apart from that I really enjoyed it :D (1:57 for the 6 laps FWIW)

Edit: just reread your post: you were in RP on sat not sun.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Awesome time for six laps...v nice indeed.

Yep, I was out there on Saturday (got there about 2pm) and there was surprisingly little traffic. I think Saturdays generally might be a little quieter than Sundays - more people out shopping / doing other stuff.

The road surface is still getting better too. We're almost back to square one after they re-did the surface!
  • bcss
    JonGinge wrote:
    What time were you in the park Abdou? I slotted in 6 laps between 1 and 3pm. Traffic was awful; the cops were ambushing; the deer were near the roads and the wind between robin hood and roehampton not that helpful. Apart from that I really enjoyed it :D (1:57 for the 6 laps FWIW)

Edit: just reread your post: you were in RP on sat not sun.

I was there on Sun as well (at the same time +/-) and yeah wasn't great at all...the more impressive your time!!

in terms of police....did any of the 3 lappers had any troubles with the cops ie speeding or taking over cars? I read somewhere else that a guy almost lost his driving liscence because of "speeding" on the bicycle, though wasn't RP
  • Pretty good conditions for it today - dry road, not that much wind.

I still have no idea how Jim manages to make his NP so much higher than his AP, I just can't work any harder, I had a peak 1 minute power of 362W in there today, but still only NP 264W vs AP 254W.

TarmacExpert..........Anti.......72kg.......59:04.........Feb.......KW........Swimmer...AP 254W NP 264W
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
  • jibberjim
    I still have no idea how Jim manages to make his NP so much higher than his AP, I just can't work any harder, I had a peak 1 minute power of 362W in there today, but still only NP 264W vs AP 254W.

I tend to hammer it past cars a lot, here's lap 1 of the 3lap above:

4358976515_13ac08244f_o.png

Starting at Kingston Gate - See the overexcited start, where the first 90 seconds I average 432... then threshold across the top and the 400watt push up to the car park. 0 watts for the 15 seconds down the hill. Then steady threshold all the way to the start of the steeper bit up Sawyers. 30 seconds at 450 watts up the steepest part of sawyers.

The overexcited out of the saddle sprint away from Richmond gate roundabout. 2 minutes descending to Ham @ 178 watts, punctuated by a 1000watt peak 15 seconds at 600watt overtake, and an overthreshold push to Kingston Gate.

So basically, I use my anaerobic reserves hitting the sub 1 minute hills pretty hard, but also end up soft pedalling a lot behind cars, or sprinting past. I just can't ride even on that course - it's why I detest chain gangs on it too.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Pretty good conditions? I thought it was windy as!
    18.50, 18.40, 18.22 to give a 55.52, PB of ~28s over August's time in the rain.

Now, just need to actually do some consistant training and lose a few kg :-)

Also, what's up with the surface? It's basically back to how it was before they added the gravel - less flinty stuff to get stuck in tires but bumpy bumpy on the rolling bit between ham and kingston gates (i think that's what they're called)

tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    TarmacExpert..........Anti.......72kg.......59:04.........Feb.......KW........Swimmer...AP 254W NP 264W
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Gonna give this a first bash tomorrow morning; three laps clockwise, then three anti-clockwise.

Someone warm the bottom of that list up for me, please. :D

Oh and if you see a red-faced geezer struggling away on his 13+ year old alu Peugeot Team Festina replica, say hello and give me some encouragement - I'll need it.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......68.12........Feb.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive

Didn't get there in time to do twice round due to the pesky traffic. Relatively pleased with that for a first bash, especially given I was hampered by cars, rozzers and unfitness. Didn't feel too bad after the third lap, so carried on and went round one more time in just over 22 mins.

Oh and if you were the time-trialler on the Cervélo, cheers for the tow between the cafe at Roehampton Gate and the hill just after Robin Hood Gate. :D
  • tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......68.12........Feb.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri

My first post, and my first attempt at the 3 lap challenge. Bring on March...[/b]
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    NWLondoner - don't get too comfy with Lanterne Rouge, I am out of town so no chance to post any times till end of March!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Toonraid wrote:
    NWLondoner - don't get too comfy with Lanterne Rouge, I am out of town so no chance to post any times till end of March!

LOL.

Not been over to RP for a 3-lapper for a while.

Fed up of removing all the tar from my bike afterwards.
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    omb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri

Knocked 2.25 off my January time, but only moved one post up the table -curses!
    :)
  • Aaargh, so close to going 2nd, but my chain came off when I shifted to the small ring for the steepest bit of Sawyers on the last lap, and I lost 15 secs or so putting it back on. Never mind, I'm sure JonGinge and Petromyzon would both have gone a lot faster if they'd done it in today's weather.

TarmacExpert..........Anti.......71kg.......57:41.........Mar.......KW........Swimmer...AP 259W NP 269W
    Flix23.......................Anti.........77kg.......62.50.......Feb.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive