Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2010

Comments

• grrram
    grrram Posts: 26
    Name........................Dir..........Wht........Time..........Mnth......Club.......TOR

CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......65:00........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram...................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    JibberJim.................Clock......75kg......71.44........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Went out on 2 Jan...freeeezing! I considered drafting behind a car, just to get near the heat from its exhaust. Best time in 2009 was 57:17 minutes on a car-less, warm summer morning. It's scary where the fitness goes!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Sorry, JG. :) I feel guilty now asking him to slow down.
    Ah, well. My sojourn at the top of the leaderboard was short but sweet while it lasted. :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    redvee wrote:
    Don't venture into the challenge but I've made a contribution in the form of a Googledoc page for all to add their times to. If there are any changes to be made feel free to add them as I've left it open for anybody to edit.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 7FQ&hl=en#
    Its a good idea but the attraction of this thread is that the results are visible in the thread and not via an Excel type link. The idea of adding in time differentials and clubs is also good. But I thinks its best to keep it simple because some people just won't fill it in properly :lol:
  • Name........................Dir..........Wht........Time..........Mnth......Club.......TOR

TarmacExpert.........Clock.......71kg.......60:26........Jan.......KW........AP 245W NP 258W
    CJCP........................Anti.........83kg......62:22........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......65:00........Jan........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    Grrram....................Anti.........83kg......66:10........Jan.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    JibberJim.................Clock......75kg......71.44........Jan........KW.......Cat 3/Aimless
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training

Sorry CJCP, but SpeedoBoy77 says he is going to do it tomorrow, so I had to grab my chance of a brief moment of glory :D
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Name........................Dir..........Wht........Time..........Mnth......Club.......TOR

TarmacExpert.........Clock.......71kg.......60:26........Jan.......KW........AP 245W NP 258W

So that's type of rider - wattage geek? ;-)
    Sorry CJCP, but SpeedoBoy77 says he is going to do it tomorrow, so I had to grab my chance of a brief moment of glory :D

I'm hoping for snow...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    So that's type of rider - wattage geek? ;-)
    Well, I figured that "is member of a cycling club" and "owns a power meter" tells people about as much as any other words I could choose to put there.

It did seem a touch greasy/icy in places btw, so be careful out there people. Up the steep hill (clockwise) was the worst bit.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    jibberjim wrote:

I'm hoping for snow...

+1,000!!!!! :)

Dash it all. That's me off the top for good now. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Similar levels of frustration here, was hoping to knock out a cheeky one tomorrow afternoon if the surface was ok. Deep down I knew the appearance of the 50 minute posse was imminent :lol::lol:
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    A lap is just under 7 miles so 3 laps is about 33k. No doubt someone will be a little more precise and of course it depends on if you go anti/clockwise.
    Not been there for a while or I'd be able to read off the info.
  • Does anyone know what the conditions are like over there at the moment? Fancied a go tonight, but won't bother if the roads aren't clear.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Reports I heard this morning was that it was covered in sheet ice and some parts were closed to cars, with it still not above freezing and likely falling further, I think any attempts would be foolish!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • cjcp
    Roads aren't great at all. I think only Kingston Gate > Richmond Gate > Roehampton is open to cars. The stretch to Robin Hood is very icy.

However, I came through on the running track tonight on the cross bike. Fantastic fun! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    For anyone thinking of giving Richmond Park a go, check out this photo taken by Roger Merriman. Probably best to wait til the thaw... :lol:
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    I haven't been for while and don't intend to do so until the freeze is over, can anyone tell me what the gravel situation is like?
  • cjcp
    It's covered by the snow! :)

Sorry. It was ok except heading down Broomfield, where there's still tracts of gravel in the middle of the road, with bits of road either side.

Heading up Sawyer's this weekend, I did hear cars wheel-spinning on the gravel in the middle of the road as they accelerated to overtake.

The gravel was supposed to repair damage to the road caused by ice and what not. To my eye, it's not materially improved the condition of the road. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The gravel is still horrible. Broomfield,Dark and Sawyers Hill being the worst stretches.

The gravel is cutting my Krylions to shreads :x
  • I take it the grit on the roads will damage my tyres as well. Turbo trainer it is till this all clears, then an early season run at the challenge
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    The gravel is still horrible. Broomfield,Dark and Sawyers Hill being the worst stretches.

The gravel is cutting my Krylions to shreads :x

i punctured last time i was out coming down the steep bit and there was so much gravel - i must have dug out 6 or 7 shards from my tyre. nuisance really.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • cjcp
    I take it the grit on the roads will damage my tyres as well. Turbo trainer it is till this all clears, then an early season run at the challenge

The grit will be there even after the snow has gone, so you'll be all right once it's gone.

I found that Krylions cut up on the commute into central London, so I'm not surprised NWL's tyres have suffered in the Park on the newer surface. Oddly, my GP4000Ss haven't fared too badly on it so far. I'd have thought they'd have been worse.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Anyone been through today, thinking about a 6:30am ride round there on Thursday morning as cannot do the Turbo anymore! Still Icy?
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Nice to see this thread up and running for 2010. I won't be posting any times for while as I've moved to Geneva, Switzerland, even if I might be back for the odd visit to London. So good luck to you all and have a safe ride.

Is it me or was the surface getting rougher recently? The newly laid surface seems to be getting a bit lumpy in places.

So what are you going to do instead the RP challenge ? Once around lake Geneva?
    exercise.png
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cjcp
    Is it me or was the surface getting rougher recently? The newly laid surface seems to be getting a bit lumpy in places.

Know what you mean. The stretch from Ham Gate to Kingston G seems as bumpy as ever (the puddles from the melted snow yesterday testified to that), and the surface on Dark Hill doesn't seem to have improved at all. The condition of the road from Robin Hood Gate to the middle of the Park is poor, too. Good to see that all that money being well spent - an excellent reason for objecting to any form of parking charge in the Park, if that's the use they're going to put the money to.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Yep, the surface has definitely got worse in the last month or so and the bit between Ham and Kingston Gates is bumpy as.

What a bunch of idiots spending all that money to make the surface worse not just for cyclists, but all road users.

Anyway, it might not be perfect, but its the best we've got in London and I can definitely feel a crack at the old three laps coming on. Conditions don't look great for this weekend so might wait a little longer, but I think I could be on for about 57 mins on the right day.
  • RedGreenBaron
    RedGreenBaron Posts: 232
    edited April 2010
    Greetings from not so sunny Seville, where I'm still waiting to retrieve the bike I get to borrow while I'm here, so that's 24 days off the bike and counting.
    Impressed to read of the valiant efforts to battle weather and gravel conditions. And now if you could just avoid breaking 60 mins til Feb 12th I'll have a chance of glory at the top.

Despite being a non-power geek, I would indeed be interested to see the figures. As suggested by Tarmac Expert you could put them instead of 'type of rider'. However, someone at some point could explain how they're calculated and what they mean, especially the difference between AP and NP.

I agree with Toks* (and thanks for adding headings, btw) that we should keep the times in the thread, (even though it seems a bit old school, and the spreadsheet would make it easier to do the totals and averages).

Re. adding club, why not? Although for space reasons we'll need to keep to abbreviations (if not obvious then maybe explain the abbreviation in your text the first time you use it).

Re. distance I think 6.8 miles or just under should be about right.

Re. gravel; Paul Harknett of London Dynamo (who sits on an RP committee) has been in very regular correspondence with the Parks people who are as disappointed with the surface as we are. He has consistently been pushing hard for sweeps and, hopefully, these should be timed on Fridays not Mondays to help weekend riders. Conversations are going on between the the consultants and the engineers about what went wrong. So I can at least comfort you that the muck-up has been taken on board, though I can't provide any comfort of a massive improvement being imminent.

RGB

*who has kicked this thread off more than once in the past and thus introduced me to the delights of RP3
  • Cheers RGB - good to know Royal Parks recognise the resurfacing was a bit of a joke and hopefully those Friday sweeps will start soon!

Just got back from park actually. No TT for me - didn't think it was worth it with my tired legs. The roads were pretty empty though and I threw in a 20 min last lap which was harder than it should have been! Legs were still pretty tired though after some hard training so guess that's fair enough.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Had a spin round the park yesterday. Very busy with cars- I should have got up earlier.

The surface was pretty bad not helped by it being pretty wet and having loads of grit thrown up by the traffic.

Glad to get out and also glad I used my winter bike. Just a shame I had my winter legs with me too!!!
  • I did my first lap since November at lunch time today - lots of fitness to be regained...

I can't believe the state of the surface though. Richmond Gate to Sheen Gate is awful, what exactly did they think the improvements would be? Lots of loose gravel still littered along the route, although it was nice to see a truck sweeping the downhill lane on Broomfield Hill as I went up the other side.
  • Surface update: news from foolhardy Dynamos who attempted Saturday's club ride is that, in addition to gravel, tar has now become a problem, not so much during the ride but after. White spirit or equivalent gets it off the bike, but some clothes are ruined.

Personally I blame the chap on top of the 'leaderboard' who is employing all his expertise........