Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2010

Comments

• Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    You're right on the money Toks- I need a bit more technical/bunch confidence so that I can ride at the front and stay there. A (thankfully minor) crash just before my first time didn't help matters. I find the hairpin particularly difficult.

Amnezia- hitting the park at 6 am is keen! Maybe that's where I'm going wrong....
  • TheRock!
    TheRock! Posts: 128
    edited June 2010
    This is without a doubt a really fun challenge whoever came up with the idea. Definitely got me motivated so wanted to see how my fitness was shaping up after a season on my heavy steel racer not to forget a backpack as well :mrgreen:

Yesterday was my first day back in RP so was every bit anxious how I would do on my lurvly French filly. Verdict: it's all about the bike! so much so I managed to shave a full 20mins off my old time :shock: going into the head wind going clockwise for the 1st lap. Pulled up on the last lap for some munchies as I wasn8t going to be anywhere near the best of the best. But this was just a warm up session and definitely wetted my appetite. With better wheels, technique and gear selection things 'should' improve over the summer.

One thing that really annoys me though is when I hit Ham Gate (going clockwise) even my new filly just does not want to race. For the next 1/4 mile or so to the cafe/car park, no matter how hard I peddle (even in lower gears) in or out of the saddle, there's so much rolling resistance. Arghhhhh! But going anti-C, I can bomb it down without breaking a sweat in that same section of the park. Has anyone else experienced something similar or know why I just can8t go fast clockwise in that Ham Gate section? Maybe I should just do anti-c where most of you seem to be logging fast times.

If eyepea0 can do sub-50, wonder how fast the Pro's would manage for the likes of say the Norwegian powerhouse Thor Hushovd on his 'Project California' Cervelo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ly6Kk_Iv2s or Cav on his Addict. Sub 40 without breaking a sweat or maybe even -30?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    edited May 2010
    TheRock! wrote:
    This is without a doubt a really fun challenge whoever came up with the idea.
    Well thank you Sir. :oops: :oops: This is the 4th year now on Bike Radar I think we started back in 2006 on the old Cyclingplus forum and started again in 2007 http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... lenge+2006
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    TheRock! wrote:
    If eyepea0 can do sub-50, wonder how fast the Pro's would manage for the likes of say the Norwegian powerhouse Thor Hushovd on his 'Project California' Cervelo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ly6Kk_Iv2s or Cav on his Addict. Sub 40 without breaking a sweat or maybe even -30?

Sub 30 would be an average > 40mph :lol:
  • re what is likely to be best achievable time

I don't think sprinters would claim to be good testers. Of the world class pros Cancellara would be likely to set the record around Richmond Park!

My PB for a 25 mile TT is sub 53 and I guess good testers in the UK are looking at 48s or 49s.

So - I reckon the absolute target is a 45. I'm trying to encourage some of the serious testers from Sigma Sport etc to give it a go.
  • TarmacExpert
    TarmacExpert Posts: 204
    I'm trying to encourage some of the serious testers from Sigma Sport etc to give it a go.
    I was just saying to jibberjim the other day, it would be interesting to see what Chris Ball can do. Based on his time at the national 10 relative to me, he should be able to go sub 45.

Hutch did 22:38 for 10.4 miles in the RP TT last year, which scales to around 43:45 for 3 laps. So Wiggins might be able to go sub 43, and Cancellara perhaps sub 42.

Of course, at that speed, it would be totally dependent on them getting a clear run all the way round. Even just having to ease off a bit before overtaking a car would cost a ton of time.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Surely the place for the Olympic TT then? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TarmacExpert
    For all those people who are wondering how they would compare to the best riders around Richmond Park, there are still places available in the first of this year's three London Dynamo Richmond Park TT events, to be held on 13th June.

There are separate categories for TT bikes and road bikes, so everyone can compete on a reasonably equal basis, you don't need to have fancy equipment.

Full details, including entry form:
    http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Lin ... iJN58tE%3d

You can see the current list of entrants here:
    http://www.londondynamo.co.uk/forum/sho ... 587&page=4

Closing date is Sat 30th May.
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    We've got some class riders entered for the TT on 13th June if you want to benchmark yourself against the best!

In the TT category

Jerone Walters - 7th in this year's National 10
    Laurence Harding - Winner of the second pilot last year
    Tom Wrecionsowski - Winner of the road bike category both times last year
    Angus Macalister - Cat 1 roadie

In the Road bike category
    Tim Stevens - Former GB world champs rider
    3 lap challenge stalwart Ian Paine....
    Plus James Waite who rode a stormer here last year...

Still plenty of places as TarmacExpert says - Please PM if you have any questions (sooner rather than later as I'm away over half term!).
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    and an entry in the post from Chris Ball (6th in this year's National 10) I hear.....
  • ives.
    ives. Posts: 62
    I had a go at this last night.
    I got to the park at about 6pm thinking it would be empty (never been to RP before) but found that the road was like a motorway!!
    !st lap I was constantly held up by cars but since I was learning the course I wasn't too fussed.
    Next lap was clearer but still lots of hold ups and the last lap was the clearest of all...but stull a lot of cars and this was about 7pm.
    What time does the traffic get low enough to have a good run? 7.30 ish??
    anyway, sneaked in under the hour and was quite pleased with that, until I saw other people's times :lol::lol:

nigelstephens..........Anti.........71kg......48.36........May.....Finchley RT....2nd Cat
    eyepea0...................Anti........80ishkg......48:41....Apr........LD.......1st cat
    TarmacExpert (TT)....Anti.........72kg......49:20.......May......KW.......AP 277W NP 293W
    benjacobs..............Anti.........68kg......50:03.......May......LD.......3rd cat
    TarmacExpert (road).Anti.........71kg......51:00......Apr.......KW.......AP 278W NP 288W
    theHAIRYleggedONE..Anti.......74kg......51:01.......Apr.....TeamFeat.Trigeek TT AvHR148
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti.........67kg......51.36........Apr.......PEV Geneve...cyclotourist
    Damien Breen..........Anti.......60ishkg....51.57.......Apr........KW......Cat 3
    Petromyzon.............Anti........75kg........52.00.......May........LD.......AP 326W NP 336W
    JibberJim................. Anti........76kg......52.01........May........KW......Cat 3 zero points...AP 317W NP 338W
    mathammond............Anti.........80kg......52:28.......Apr......N/A.........Leisure
    Felgen......................Anti.........91kg.......52.37.......Apr.........KW..........2nd cat *ahem*
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......53:10........May........KW......Commuter/Sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........78kg......54:34........May........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    seabadger.................Anti.........82kg......54:35........May........n/a........fitness/MTB
    Red GT......................Anti.........75kg......54:37.........May........n/a.......sportive
    mark_d................. ..Anti........61kg......54:38...........Mar........LD.......AP 269W NP 276W
    jamesjarvis................Anti........63kg.......54:40........Apr.....................
    Raynaw...................Anti........88kg......54.52........Apr........TCC.....Cat 3....AP 343W
    Toks.........................Anti.........70kg.....55..00.......May........ACC....Average 3rd Cat
    bigdave1963.............Anti........87kg......55.30........May.......KW........Sportive
    SPEEDOboy77..........Anti.........75kg.....55.32.......Apr.........KW.....Cat 3 No Power
    Rushie.....................Anti........76kg......55:40.........Apr.......TCC.......Sportive/Cat4
    RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........71kg......55:40........May.......LD........Sportive
    Zav........................Anti........85(ish).... 55:44.......May........LD.......commute
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    Bush75...................Anti........78kg......55:58.........Apr.......LRC.......Sportive/Cat4
    amnezia............Anti..........73kg.........56:38........May........N/A.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.......81kg........56:44........Apr........NA.......Triathlete
    J4zzDogg.................Anti.......81kg........56:46........May.......LD.....Commuter/Sportive
    Rookie.....................Anti........100kg.......56:47........Apr........NA........Sportive
    mroli.......................Anti.........68kg........57.07.......Apr.....N/A..........Sportive/Fitness
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW......Commuter/Sportive (SS 48x16)
    maryka.................Anit..........53.5kg....57:49.........May.......KW......cat 2w 234W NP 216W AP
    Flix23.......................Anti.........72kg.......57.55.......May.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Grrram....................Anti.........84.2kg......58:10........Apr.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    Davo4......................Anti.........94kg......58.18........Apr........N/A......1st year tri
    ives..........................Anti..........82kg......58.19........May.......N/A.............commuter
    stevie becks........Anti..........76kg.......58:30.......Apr.......Sky.......Sportive
    Westwimash............Anti........80kg......58.38.........May.......N/A.........Fitness
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......58.38.......May....................Fitness
    Schobiedoo...........Anti........91kg......58:45.........May..................Sportive
    Big Red.....................Anti........95kg......58:48.........Apr.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    POD..................Anti.......86kg....59:15..............Apr......N/A.......Sportive (and the odd race)
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......59:20........Apr........N/A.......Commuter/fitness
    thebongolian.......Anti......c.80kg.....59.50..........May......N/a........Sportive/Cat4
    Arpy.....................Anti..........101kg....59:32.......May.........N/A.........Fitness
    RHE......................Anti...........91kg........60:20........Apr......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    statts...................Anti.............75kg......60.30.......May.........N/A....Fitness / Sportive
    Il Principe..............Anti.......75kg....60:40..............Mar.......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    Greasygrinder..........Anti......75kg.......60:53.........Apr........KW.......AP 259
    Rostropovich............Anti......74kg.......60:53.........May.......N/A........Fitness/Sportive
    greeny12..............Anti........87kg......60.57........Mar..........N/A.......Fitness/sportive
    marcusjb...................anti......61Kg........62:55.........May.......N/A........Leisure
    CXXC......................Anti..........80kg.......63.06.......Apr.......N/A......Commuter/Sportive
    caw35slr.................Anti
    97kg.......63:09.......May..... KW........Fitness/Sportive
    Global Nomad.........Anti..........75kg.......63.10.......May.......N/A......Commuter/Fitness
    TheStone.................Anti.........90kg......63:27........Apr.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    pangolin....................Anti.........89kg......65:00.........Apr......N/A.......Fitness/Commuter
    Guinea.....................Anti........89kg......65.11........Mar........none.........Fun
    Citizen Smith..........Anti.........95kg......65.26.........May.....SCR.....Fitness/Commuter/Hybrid LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Dan_JR..................Anti.........80kg........66.31.......Apr.......n/a..........Fitness/Commuter
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......67.28........Mar.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    G-Wiz..............Anti.......100kg....69:05......Apr......NA.......Fitness/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    jag--.........................Anti.........78kg......69.09.......April........Sky...........Sportive newbie
    Coopster the 1st....Anti........86kg......69.30......May........n/a..........Commuter/Sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    Furrag....................Anti.........68kg......74:00.........Apr......KW.........Fitness/Fun
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training[/b]
  • TarmacExpert
    ives. wrote:
    What time does the traffic get low enough to have a good run? 7.30 ish??
    It's a lottery, I started my 3 laps around 7:30pm the other day, got a pretty clear 1st lap, a horrible 2nd lap, and a reasonably clear 3rd lap. Even if you wait till after it's closed to cars, you still get blocked at every roundabout by cars dithering about as they go to the gates, realise they're locked, and go back out to try a different exit. I expect it's okay an hour or so after the gates have all been locked, as the remaining cars have probably got out by then, but you'll need good lights at that time, and the deer become a major hazard. 7am on a Sunday is pretty quiet, but it's not as fast as in the evening.
  • ives.
    thanks mate.
    7.30 sounds ok. I might try that.
    I think 6pm was too early really
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    The gates close later and later (then earlier and earlier after the solstice) over the course of the summer, you can see the closing times here. Note they are an approximation. Definitely waiting til after 7pm when the main commuter traffic has gone through will help. But as Steve said, the deer sense when the cars have left and tend to be a lot closer to and/or in the road more once the gates close, whether it's dark or not.
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Agree with Maryka, getting a clear run is mostly luck. I started my most recent run at 7.45pm and had both traffic (early part) and deer (late part) holdups. Trackstanding for 15 secs when you're on a good time is frustrating.....
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    First attempt for me or 2010 early morning the other day and smashed my previous time by a couple of minutes.... and that included running over a poor squirrel going flat stick on my last lap.....lucky to stay upright :shock:

nigelstephens..........Anti.........71kg......48.36........May.....Finchley RT....2nd Cat
    eyepea0...................Anti........80ishkg......48:41....Apr........LD.......1st cat
    TarmacExpert (TT)....Anti.........72kg......49:20.......May......KW.......AP 277W NP 293W
    benjacobs..............Anti.........68kg......50:03.......May......LD.......3rd cat
    TarmacExpert (road).Anti.........71kg......51:00......Apr.......KW.......AP 278W NP 288W
    theHAIRYleggedONE..Anti.......74kg......51:01.......Apr.....TeamFeat.Trigeek TT AvHR148
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti.........67kg......51.36........Apr.......PEV Geneve...cyclotourist
    Damien Breen..........Anti.......60ishkg....51.57.......Apr........KW......Cat 3
    Petromyzon.............Anti........75kg........52.00.......May........LD.......AP 326W NP 336W
    JibberJim................. Anti........76kg......52.01........May........KW......Cat 3 zero points...AP 317W NP 338W
    mathammond............Anti.........80kg......52:28.......Apr......N/A.........Leisure
    Felgen......................Anti.........91kg.......52.37.......Apr.........KW..........2nd cat *ahem*
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......53:10........May........KW......Commuter/Sportive
    CJCP........................Anti.........78kg......54:34........May........KW.......Commuter/Sportive
    seabadger.................Anti.........82kg......54:35........May........n/a........fitness/MTB
    Red GT......................Anti.........75kg......54:37.........May........n/a.......sportive
    mark_d................. ..Anti........61kg......54:38...........Mar........LD.......AP 269W NP 276W
    jamesjarvis................Anti........63kg.......54:40........Apr.....................
    Raynaw...................Anti........88kg......54.52........Apr........TCC.....Cat 3....AP 343W
    Toks.........................Anti.........70kg.....55..00.......May........ACC....Average 3rd Cat
    bigdave1963.............Anti........87kg......55.30........May.......KW........Sportive
    SPEEDOboy77..........Anti.........75kg.....55.32.......Apr.........KW.....Cat 3 No Power
    Rushie.....................Anti........76kg......55:40.........Apr.......TCC.......Sportive/Cat4
    RedGreenBaron.......Anti.........71kg......55:40........May.......LD........Sportive
    Zav........................Anti........85(ish).... 55:44.......May........LD.......commute
    tomb8555.................Anti.........87kg......55:52........Feb.......TCC......Cat 3
    Bush75...................Anti........78kg......55:58.........Apr.......LRC.......Sportive/Cat4
    amnezia............Anti..........73kg.........56:38........May........N/A.......Commuter/Sportive
    Marko1982...............Anti.......81kg........56:44........Apr........NA.......Triathlete
    J4zzDogg.................Anti.......81kg........56:46........May.......LD.....Commuter/Sportive
    Rookie.....................Anti........100kg.......56:47........Apr........NA........Sportive
    mroli.......................Anti.........68kg........57.07.......Apr.....N/A..........Sportive/Fitness
    JonGinge..................Anti.........67kg......57:33........Jan........KW......Commuter/Sportive (SS 48x16)
    maryka.................Anit..........53.5kg....57:49.........May.......KW......cat 2w 234W NP 216W AP
    Flix23.......................Anti.........72kg.......57.55.......May.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    Grrram....................Anti.........84.2kg......58:10........Apr.......none........Fitness/Sportive
    Davo4......................Anti.........94kg......58.18........Apr........N/A......1st year tri
    ives..........................Anti..........82kg......58.19........May.......N/A.............commuter
    stevie becks........Anti..........76kg.......58:30.......Apr.......Sky.......Sportive
    Westwimash............Anti........80kg......58.38.........May.......N/A.........Fitness
    Cumulonimbus.........Anti.........85kg.......58.38.......May....................Fitness
    Schobiedoo...........Anti........91kg......58:45.........May..................Sportive
    Big Red.....................Anti........95kg......58:48.........Apr.......N/A.......Fitness/Sportive
    POD..................Anti.......86kg....59:15..............Apr......N/A.......Sportive (and the odd race)
    The Emu...........Anti.......80Kg....59:18..............May........KW......... Old Hack
    London-red...............Anti.........83kg......59:20........Apr........N/A.......Commuter/fitness
    thebongolian.......Anti......c.80kg.....59.50..........May......N/a........Sportive/Cat4
    Arpy.....................Anti..........101kg....59:32.......May.........N/A.........Fitness
    RHE......................Anti...........91kg........60:20........Apr......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    statts...................Anti.............75kg......60.30.......May.........N/A....Fitness / Sportive
    Il Principe..............Anti.......75kg....60:40..............Mar.......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    Abdoujaparov..........Anti.........76kg......60.53........Feb........?...........Fitness/sportive
    Greasygrinder..........Anti......75kg.......60:53.........Apr........KW.......AP 259
    Rostropovich............Anti......74kg.......60:53.........May.......N/A........Fitness/Sportive
    greeny12..............Anti........87kg......60.57........Mar..........N/A.......Fitness/sportive
    marcusjb...................anti......61Kg........62:55.........May.......N/A........Leisure
    CXXC......................Anti..........80kg.......63.06.......Apr.......N/A......Commuter/Sportive
    Global Nomad.........Anti..........75kg.......63.10.......May.......N/A......Commuter/Fitness
    TheStone.................Anti.........90kg......63:27........Apr.......N/A......Fitness/Sportive
    toontra.......................Anti.........75kg......64.57.........Mar......N/A........Audax
    pangolin....................Anti.........89kg......65:00.........Apr......N/A.......Fitness/Commuter
    Guinea.....................Anti........89kg......65.11........Mar........none.........Fun
    Citizen Smith..........Anti.........95kg......65.26.........May.....SCR.....Fitness/Commuter/Hybrid LFCQuin...................Anti.........82kg......66:00........Jan.......MW........Cat 3/Core
    biondino..................Anti.........80kg........66.15.......Feb.......n/a..........commuter
    Dan_JR..................Anti.........80kg........66.31.......Apr.......n/a..........Fitness/Commuter
    Ketsbaia................Clock.........76kg.......67.28........Mar.......n/a.....Fitness/sportive
    BCSS.....................Anti..........75kg......68.24........Jan......NA...........Will I ever be fast?
    KingstonGraham.....Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan.......NA........Triathlete
    Il Principe..............Anti.......dunno....68:57......Feb......NA.......Commuter/Sportive
    G-Wiz..............Anti.......100kg....69:05......Apr......NA.......Fitness/Sportive
    jrduquemin...........Clock......79kg......69:07........Jan.......None.......Fitness/Sportive
    jag--.........................Anti.........78kg......69.09.......April........Sky...........Sportive newbie
    Coopster the 1st....Anti........86kg......69.30......May........n/a..........Commuter/Sportive
    MattM78..................Anti........89kg.......73.24.........Feb....SWRC....Commuter/sportive/tri
    Furrag....................Anti.........68kg......74:00.........Apr......KW.........Fitness/Fun
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training[/b]

The long grazed legged one
  • TheRock!
    TheRock! Posts: 128
    edited June 2010
    ok lets presume you get a good run - no deer crossings, no squirrels, minimal traffic, no head wind, plenty of day light - any tips on what's the best strategy to make it into the top 10 fastest lap times?

:arrow: spinning or mashing?
    :arrow: standard 53/39 or compact 50/34?
    :arrow: front vs rear gear combo on the flats?
    :arrow: front vs rear gear combo on the climbs?

Some riders are spinning like mad whereas some just "coasting along" with minimal effort yet they are travelling further and faster! :shock: so it would be interesting to hear back the best gear selections you have found works best for the flats and climbs to get into the top 10. Surely there must be a gear combo => achieve the best times :idea:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    To answer your question, yes there is an optimum gear combo. Its the one in which you are producing the best power (power=torquexrpm :lol: ) at all times bearing in mind many factors (see below). A quick time is all about maintaing an average. To improve your average, you must

:arrow: Avoid uncessary delays (do it when its quiet. Any hold up is a double whammy - the time penalty of the delay itself and then the effort expended getting back up to speed. This is not compensated for by the 'rest' while you are behind slow moving traffic))
    :arrow: Pick the right conditions (light westerly is regarded as the best - our resident amateur aerodynamicist, powermeter fetishist and fellow KW'er tarmacexpert is your man on that point)
    :arrow: Maintain your speed (This has got to be the most important one - learn to handle the bike and let it run without scrubbing off speed. If you are braking you have just wasted energy and effort especially coming down Broomfield hill, I think a short tap on the brakes to check speed before the cornes is the only time you should need them)
    :arrow: Pedal in your most efficient way (and thats the crux of your question! I used to be a 105kg masher but now I am 85kg and I spin, 90+rpm, only dropping cadence on the steep out of the saddle climbs at Sawyers where it kicks up and Dark Hill. Its a personal thing - take a look at the Giro time trial in Holland this year, some spinning, others like Vino running a big gear)
    :arrow: Attack the climbs - but dont increase your power output such that you will blow up before the top or at the top, have a little effort left to put in just as you reach the top and accelerate over the crest back up to speed quickly - you will make yards of difference
    :arrow: Pace yourself. You need to do three laps which when run consecutively leave you totally exhausted at the end of the third lap. Your lap times should be within a few seconds of eachother presuming no traffic delays of course. Chris Boardman said the perfect race would be one where you died as you crossed the line as you had nothing else to give. I dont recommend doing that, but it might feel like that if you have done things right. Do some TT's - that will help you with pacing.
    :arrow: Erm, training :roll: it improves your technique, efficiency, weight (and hence power to weight) and fitness. Those that look relaxed probably are relaxed though they may just hide their pain well - a useful skill when you are road racing.
    :arrow: Lose weight - it makes less of a difference in RP as opposed to a hillier course but it will help you save energy for the steep bits - remember you will do six of these in three laps if you are going anticlockwise.

p.s. Great effort Emu - I know you had been trying to crack the hour for a long time.

p.p.s. If anyone disagrees with any of the above feel free to say so. Just IMHO...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • TarmacExpert
    felgen wrote:
    light westerly is regarded as the best - our resident amateur aerodynamicist, powermeter fetishist and fellow KW'er tarmacexpert is your man on that point
    Just to say, it's actually a light easterly that's generally regarded as best, though I never mind too much anything between N and E, it's a headwind up Sawyers you really need to avoid.

I agree with the rest. I'll add that when I did my 51:00 I did it in the 53 chainring all the way, with a 12-27 on the rear.
  • felgen
    Just to say, it's actually a light easterly that's generally regarded as best, though I never mind too much anything between N and E, it's a headwind up Sawyers you really need to avoid.
    Yeah thats what I meant.... I forgot you describe a wind direction from whence it came...
    I agree with the rest. I'll add that when I did my 51:00 I did it in the 53 chainring all the way, with a 12-27 on the rear.
    Yes, no small ring for me either. In fact I havent used the small ring this year at all. Better get used to it for Quebrantahuesos....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • nigelstephens..........Anti.........71kg......48.36........May.....Finchley RT....2nd Cat
    The Emu...........Anti.......80Kg....59:18..............May........KW......... Old Hack
    TimMarshall............Anti...........104kg........63:27........May......N/A.......Fitness

First go, former swimmer, might try triathlons at some point. Currently carrying a few extra kgs, when in good shape am 97. Anyone able to tell me vaguelly how fast 63 would be if i was 70kg? looking to get a bearing on general fitness, I seem to be keeping up with guys doing 18-19 minute laps on the flat bits, then losing masses of time on the hills. Cheers
  • thanks felgen for the tips. Must get back to the park for another effort. Should be able to make a weekday morning. Feeling encouraged by all the times being posted. Still need to make the hour mark but know that my issue is with being more consistent.

After years of sprinting/ stop /starting whilst commuting, I have found it difficult to maintain a steady pace. Need to do more training at low intensity before pushing for better times around RP.

Thanks again for all the tips...
  • felgen
    thanks felgen for the tips. Must get back to the park for another effort. Should be able to make a weekday morning. Feeling encouraged by all the times being posted. Still need to make the hour mark but know that my issue is with being more consistent.

After years of sprinting/ stop /starting whilst commuting, I have found it difficult to maintain a steady pace. Need to do more training at low intensity before pushing for better times around RP.

Thanks again for all the tips...
    No problem :D . I used to commute in London, which made the sprint very good, but meant that sustained efforts were a real weak point. Now I have 23 miles of almost uninterrupted rolling hills from Chertsey to Reading, which takes an hour. and has made the world of difference to my endurance and my 3LC time. Road racing (though less so the RP 3LC) is a sustained effort for about 50-65 minutes of you expending your energy so that at the end you couldn't have done any more.

Pacing is hard. I am not great at it, but getting better - riding in a sustained effort for an hour is great training, so how about trying a 25mile TT?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • ives.
    edited June 2010
    Did my 1st 3 laps last Thursday and encountered a lot of traffic.
    Had another go tonight and what a difference!.
    Got there about 7pm and I had a better understanding of the course.
    Not much traffic, which was great and only a few minor hold ups.
    In the end I took nearly 4 mins off my time from Thurs night!
    Well pleased that I've squeezed into the top 20.
    All my spits were pretty even...about 18mins or thereabouts
    Don't think I can go much faster with my current level of fitness...well, maybe 30 secs or so. Might have another go in a couple of weeks.

ives............................Anti........82kg.....54.40..........May........n/a.......commuter
    TimMarshall............Anti...........104kg........63:27........May......N/A.......Fitness
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    My first timed 3LC yesterday afternoon. Hit traffic on all three laps, but conditions seemed pretty much perfect. Had to really put it in on the last lap (18 mins) just to go sub-60 mins. Must lay off the crispy pancakes.

ives............................Anti........82kg.....54.40..........May........n/a.......commuter
    King Donut.......Anti..........90kg.......59:37.......May.........N/A........Commuter/fitness
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good stuff KD and ives. Sounds like you'll get a very decent time without traffic, KD.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    That was a wet 3 laps, but not unpleasant. Got stuck behind plod at 20mph for 1/2 lap which robbed me of a minute or so.

Rich158....................Anti.........68kg......55.02......June.........Lp..........Poor Cat 4
    King Donut.......Anti..........90kg.......59:37.......May.........N/A........Commuter/fitness
    NWLondoner...........Clock......61kg......77.56........Jan........??.........Fitness/Training
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Al B
    Al B Posts: 4
    Rich158....................Anti.........68kg......55.02......June.........Lp..........Poor Cat 4
    Al B..................Anti..........70kg.......59:37.......June........BSkyB....Sportive

First attempt, good conditions but traffic delay on laps 2 & 3
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked
  • ives.
    nice work Al B :D
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    London-red...............Anti.........80kg......57:55........Jun........N/A.......Commuter/fitness
    Al B..................Anti..........70kg.......59:37.......June........BSkyB....Sportive

Very hard work - I was even getting cramps in my calves at the end... Wind felt blustery and against me, but allegedly it was a light North Easterly which is supposed to be perfect. Didn't feel that way.

Anyway, PB recorded with almost 90 seconds knocked off previous best time for 2010. 56 dead is still the target. That will be a struggle on today's evidence though...

Lap times: 19:02, 19:35, 19:18