Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    I've been looking for a pair of winter boots before the prices begin to rise and the cold appears. I'd pretty much settled for the Shimano MW80 but they were above my £100 budget everywhere.

Edinburgh Bike Coop have reduced many lines so I ordered the Specialized BG Defroster Winter Boot reduced to £59.99 delivered.

If they were good at £120 they should be great at half that.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoe-30858/

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 722c003726
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    spasypaddy wrote:
    not exactly cycling specific (in fact not cycling at all) but if you get lucky you might still be able to pick up an HP touchpad for £89.

We're trying to get one on the staff discount scheme, but we've gone from having a glut to sold out in the space of 5 minutes. Should be more in the system soon. Not sure Play has discounted its stock yet, so they might be worth watching them...

What company do you work for? And any idea when the Pre 3 will be available?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    wanted altura night vision evo jacket in red. Cheapest I found on google was

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=9102

Quite a saving from rrp and a few pounds cheaper than elsewhere but what most impressed me was the postage (free) as I ordered yesterday mid morning and jacket was waiting for me today at lunchtime. :P

Now looking forward to next rainy day which judging by this years summer in Aberdeen shlouldnt be long :roll:
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    AidanR wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    not exactly cycling specific (in fact not cycling at all) but if you get lucky you might still be able to pick up an HP touchpad for £89.

We're trying to get one on the staff discount scheme, but we've gone from having a glut to sold out in the space of 5 minutes. Should be more in the system soon. Not sure Play has discounted its stock yet, so they might be worth watching them...

Just read this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... e-cut.html
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    suzyb wrote:
    Apparently it's because HP will no longer be producing tablet PCs.

If the touchpads are anything like the same build quality as their laptops, the world should be duly grateful and pleased for this information!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited August 2011
    seataltea wrote:
    I've been looking for a pair of winter boots before the prices begin to rise and the cold appears. I'd pretty much settled for the Shimano MW80 but they were above my £100 budget everywhere.

Edinburgh Bike Coop have reduced many lines so I ordered the Specialized BG Defroster Winter Boot reduced to £59.99 delivered.

If they were good at £120 they should be great at half that.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoe-30858/

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 722c003726

Legend, was going to go for MW80 as I know my size in Shimano but the BGs are not showing a discounted rate for 45s, best drop em an e-mail :cry:
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    AidanR wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I work for HP, but not in the Palm division. I'll check on the Pre 3 stock to see what's happening.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    AidanR wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I work for HP, but not in the Palm division. I'll check on the Pre 3 stock to see what's happening.

Been looking all over the place. Looks like a lot of 3rd party resellers are holding off for 24 hours on reducing the price. HP have sold out on their site without even publishing a reduced price yet but promise a discount when payment is taken. Don't suppose you're able to find out how much stock is yet to be made available?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Mr Plum wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Been looking all over the place. Looks like a lot of 3rd party resellers are holding off for 24 hours on reducing the price. HP have sold out on their site without even publishing a reduced price yet but promise a discount when payment is taken. Don't suppose you're able to find out how much stock is yet to be made available?

We spoke the guys in the Palm division this afternoon. They know there are more coming into the channel, but I'm afraid they don't know exactly when or how many (there were a good number kicking about last week). I'll let you know if we hear anything...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    Preparing for winter already. These should be great for the commute - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bib-Thermal-C ... 6b1b664bf9

Thermal Roubaix bib tights for £13.99.

Thanks for this. Just ordered some of these in black, plus a winter jersey, for £23 delivered. I've bookmarked that store!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Preparing for winter already. These should be great for the commute - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bib-Thermal-C ... 6b1b664bf9

Thanks for this. Just ordered some of these in black, plus a winter jersey, for £23 delivered. I've bookmarked that store!

Cheap site! Ordered some baggies. Let us know what the pad is like in the bib shorts/tights... Wouldn't order online without being able to see, have had too many uncormfortable padded shorts in the past
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Mr Plum wrote:

Cheap site! Ordered some baggies. Let us know what the pad is like in the bib shorts/tights... Wouldn't order online without being able to see, have had too many uncormfortable padded shorts in the past

I have a couple of pairs of shorts from them. The normal ones have a basic, but not uncomfortable pad, fine for commuting. The 'pro' ones have a better, but slightly small pad, they're also a little smaller than I expected, height wise. I'd go up a size if you're tall.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Mr Plum wrote:

I have a couple of pairs of shorts from them. The normal ones have a basic, but not uncomfortable pad, fine for commuting. The 'pro' ones have a better, but slightly small pad, they're also a little smaller than I expected, height wise. I'd go up a size if you're tall.

looks like a decent shop...bookmarked too to have a proper look at later :)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Mr Plum wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

We spoke the guys in the Palm division this afternoon. They know there are more coming into the channel, but I'm afraid they don't know exactly when or how many (there were a good number kicking about last week). I'll let you know if we hear anything...

Cheers! :)

Must be scary times inside HP though...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Surface shorts, only £30, bargain, might have to order even more...
    surface-tech-short.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sur ... s-ec022563
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    iPete wrote:
    surface-tech-short.jpg

gonna get me some of these, they're down to £22 atm :shock:

not sure if this has been posted...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXC ... dium=email

had the overshoes and beanie last winter, they are A1.
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    prb007 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    surface-tech-short.jpg

gonna get me some of these, they're down to £22 atm :shock:

Blimey - just ordered some at £30 - now need to order some at the new price and return the original ones...!

Thanks for the heads up.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    prb007 wrote:

not sure if this has been posted...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXC ... dium=email

had the overshoes and beanie last winter, they are A1.

Been thinking of getting overshoes for winter, need a new rear light. This seems like a good deal. Any reason not too? Quality etc ok?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Mine is arriving today, will let you know!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've been using the PX overshoes for 2-4 years. They do the trick and are still going strong. Would recommend.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Cool, I just need to find something for 2p to get £2.50 delivery charge knocked off.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • pangolin
    Hehe, I caved and got a couple of the impac inner tubes and blizzard tyres. Tyres were only £6, don't know if they're any good though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Sketchley:

Seems pretty good! Overshoes seem good quality, big reflective bit on the back. Slightly odd furry patch in front of your toes? Maybe this stops wind more than the rest to keep your tootsies warm?

Lights seem fine, come with batteries. Pretty normal smart lights, not for pitch black country lanes but will get you back through Richmond Park without hitting a deer (probably).

Beanie is as advertised.

Tbh most of these are things that will prove their value over time, but I'm happy for now. The red tyres are cool.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sketchley wrote:
    Been thinking of getting overshoes for winter, need a new rear light. This seems like a good deal. Any reason not too? Quality etc ok?

I use those overshoes as summer overshoes - but I do get cold feet. They won't stand up to commuting daily without maintenance; I've already had to get my mother to fix the underside of the toe area of the one I always unclip with and I've not worn them many times.

BBB Ultraflex is a better bet for regular winter commuting.

Careful with the Smart lights - some are great, some crap. One of my front lights (one of the larger ones) cuts out regularly. Not a great safety feature :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Merlin are selling the Diadora Chill Extreme for £45
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    gbsahne wrote:

and these are decent - but after a winter of commuting in them, I have had a couple of seams open up. Not bad for £45 notes though
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    gbsahne wrote:

Snaffled. They had them at £55.00 yesterday so no doubt they'll be cheaper tomorrow... :-(

Usually a 44 Specialized but wear Woolie Boolies all year round so gone for a 45 to try and accommodate the smaller sizings that are reported.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Castelli unpadded tights (Wear bibs underneath) £38ish with Extra10 voucher code
    XXL and XXXL only

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-fondo- ... bib-tight/

I've just got 2 pairs at that price :)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mroli wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

and these are decent - but after a winter of commuting in them, I have had a couple of seams open up. Not bad for £45 notes though

£40.50 if you register for VIP membership.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Just dropped in my inbox yesterday that PX are doing the Ti bikes by Van Nicholas again. I bought one of the road pro's manufactured by Lynskey for them and it is amazing and I can only hope that the VN versions for PX are as good.

Cheap for a Ti bike and it also means they will be doing deals on complete Ti bikes soon.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.