London Calling

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I should be up for it. Just need to ensure I've got enough energy if it's an epic ride :D (well, it was just 15 miles last time according to my phone, but that's 5 miles more than my usual).

Weather looks rubbish throughout the weekend and it's going to be even more muddy than last time (which is hard to believe it could get any worse!), but anyway. Haven't even attempted to clean the bike from last week.
  • hi guys

I'm new to this thread, but I've ridden with deadkenny a few times.

I should be up for a 9.30 start on Sunday assuming I can fix a very annoying squeal in my brake by then.

It'll be my first ride in 5 months after breaking my collar bone last October so you'll have to excuse my lack of fitness and initial tentativeness!

I'll keep an eye on the thread for details.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I've got house guests on Sunday night so not going to make it. Will take the opportunity to actually clean my bike tho :)
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Sorry, I won't be out on Sunday.

Greg.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    This Sunday 9.30 at walking bottom car park. Seems as if Supraman, Deadkenny +friend, Pops+friend, anyone else? Looks as if we will settle with socializing pace this time, so few who worry -you sholudnt really be :-). Route ... Gentle uphill towards Pitch hill, then turn towards Winterfold trails? Then gentle climb to Pitch hill, ride T-X trails and finish Pitch hill with Saint branches section. Then tea brake as usual. Those brave enough after break, will continue with Holmbury hill climb, then Yoghurt pots, Telegraph row and BKB as always finishing touch. 

After a bit of counting it worked out as 10mile of trails + 8miles of xc road riding.

p.s.  if anyone got better sugestions towards route, pls feel free to let us know...always fancied to venture into Leith hill, hope weather will change and we finally could crack it with proper epics!?     
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Popstar, if you really want to do leith hill, lets do it with the holmburry trails. :D
    include bkb telegraph yoururt ect, and on leith the only name i know is the summer lightning, but there are a lot of others on either side of the hill

It will be part exploring on leith and part of them I know. and if any one is brave we finish with pitch.
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • popstar
    Guess if it's Holmbury+Leith hills, then meeting place would be at Youth Hostel carpark? But then it's upto our group to decide which hills people want to ride.

Waiting for opinions ...

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • popstar
    Forecast for this weekend doesn't look good. Think it may be better to stick with well known trails and leave exploring to better times? I am fine with rain, but don't want to push newcomers with exploring, at the end of day -it's more about riding trails? But then would leave decisions to people ... guess it would be selfish to explore Leith hill without considering fitness-opinions of other riders* ...

• Anonymous
    Think we'll be swimming rather than riding anyway :D
  • I've managed to fix my brake problem so it looks like I'll be up for a ride.

Are we doing 9.30 from Walking Bottom?
  • Anonymous
    Looks like it at the moment. Bit further away from Leith if we wanted to do that, but as said, given the conditions it may be best to leave it for another day. Not sure how long it would take to get over to Leith and no idea of the route.

Just been sorting out the gears anyway (after a bit of a clean). Not sure what's going on but it keeps going way out of alignment and I have to mess with the tensioners which takes me ages (doesn't help that I don't have a bike stand, and no space in my pokey little flat or the pokey little shed, but anyway). I've got it enough to get into the bottom to middle gears which will do me fine, especially for the climbs. Better than last week when I realised why it was so much effort, because I couldn't get into the low gears.

Also got new brake pads. For some reason one of the front pads was worn away totally which is odd as I'm not on the front brakes that often, or at least I don't think I am. I'll see if the stupid Juicy springs on these are any better. The last set just clip the disc all the time.
  • popstar
    Yep, 9.30 at walking bottom then. Supraman I know you fancy leith hill, but better to take it easy this time. Will meet-greet you all at 9.30!

• popstar
    After today's socializing ride at least I can tell -been there, done that*
    Last week riding had some proper mud, but this time had to swim through. Got the idea now why people buy sealskinz socks. Those pesky roots did catch people out, it's funny that riding a bike in these kind of conditions reminds me of rally, sliding both wheels and control the bike without fallling off is a big skill to master.

Maybe it was a time to organise some Night-rides in Swinley? Wesnesday could do ...

• Anonymous
    Too busy for night rides at the moment. Maybe in a few weeks after the ski trip once things have calmed down at work (ha!).

But I'm a total noob to night rides (plus have no light yet).

They do night rides a lot at Tunnel Hill too. I think Tunnel Hill Trolls mainly do nights there. I know when I drive past on the way home I sometimes see the lights in the depths of the woods. Though that could just be the army.
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I'd recommend riding with the Trolls! They do 2 night rides a week; Tuesday is a slower pace and Thursday is a fast paced ride. They're often out at the weekends and do rides over the Surrey Hill as well. I was out with them last Saturday around Tunnel Hill and can thoroughly recommend it! - Trolls website

Might possibly be out on Sunday if anyone fancies it?
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    this weekend will be able to ride normally, just got new pads, mud guard rear shock protection, new water resistant lube, and new saddle. It will be rear cassette and chain next week, i guess. :roll:
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Atz
    Looks like it might be dry (or at least not a swamp), if so, am up for it. Not averse to the mud but I'm still suffering from the manflu that the rain and mudfest the other week didn't help fix :P

Still, going to thrash myself on the commute tomorrow so will see how it goes
  • popstar
    Will pass* this Sunday as I am working. However if anyone fancies night ride I would happily join you any day!

• supra-man
    so was any one out on trails this weekend??? I was out on leith hill, very dry and hard, fab riding, I found New fast twisty trails around cold harbor side. no swamps no mud and easy to clean the bike. :D
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Atz
    Wasn't expecting to get out but I woke up early after a late night and decided to get the FS out. After a far too tiring climb up Holmbury (icy road too), I was greeted by this view.

Trails were fast too but as I left the gps in the car, I didn't explore much new stuff (read as, couldn't be dealing with getting lost)
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Is anyone free this weekend to show a new face to the south some trails in the area, was thinking of checking out Woburn Sands (wanted to go Aston Hill but htere is a race on) or maybe Leith Hill or Surrey HIlls would be better.
    Cheers
  • Atz
    Chances are I'll be riding somewhere as the weather is looking pretty good. I need to work out when I'm going to get out but if that fits with when you'll be around, then you're welcome to come along. If you're expecting speed, you're going to be disappointed but can show you some fun stuff.

How about the usual suspects, anyone up for a meetup in the usual place?
  • popstar
    I could manage both Saturday and Sunday, but only early rides. 8.00ish as after would have to go to work!

• Atz
    8am is better for me anyway, assuming I remember to get my kit together the night before.
  • popstar
    Sure ATZ. For few weeks Deadkenny won't join us, lucky fella is holidaying. Supraman, Fatfreddyscat seems so quite these days? I still remember biblical weather of last ride, and strangely I happen to like it. Think Gregsd training around corner to beat Philscott on next uphill ride, am sure this time phil will show up on lighter bike ? hahaha :D

Bungalistic ... where about are you based?

• bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    popstar i'm based in north london, just outside of Ilford
  • supra-man
    Ill be out probably sat and Sunday like last weekend Ill spend one of the 2 days on leith hill riding on the faster down hilly tracks and some of the new trails I found around summer lightning .. and the other day, well where you guys go pitch holmbury ect.

By the way popstar let me know if you have some free days during the next coming weeks of march as I will have days off in the during march, so we could get a ride done, perhaps.

Bugalistic, Aston hill is nice and worth a ride, I know Gee Atherton has been there for a few rides last year.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Atz
    So, Saturday or Sunday (or both)?
  • supra-man
    well lets all meet up on a sunday as usual, or which ever suits. Ill be out on saturday so if any one wants to join , I don’t know yet what time though. I just know I ll be on leith hil. ;)

Or we can swap round
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• popstar
    So, could we make fast'n'furious session on Saturday and leisurely ride on Sunday? I am planning to bring me wife and train her kegs a bit before Wales trip, so Sunday will be the warmer day to enjoy views? If Supraman now familiar with Leith hill trails I would happily take that offer for Saturday ride, ... but I could only show up if it's an early bird ride(8ish start) have to go to work afterwards!

p.s. after ride this Wednesday have to say WOW, trails are dry and there is tonnes of speed on trails ... I actually again started to understeer into corners and killed my brakepads.