London Calling

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Fast? Holy crap no. I'm unfit and carrying Christmas pork :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Managed to get up :D.

Look out for a red Civic. See you guys at 8.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Today's ride with Atz and Deadkenny was real good. The pace and speed were just right for beginners like me. Did eventually cock it up at finding Proper Beue but apart from that it was least climbing and most riding trails. At some trails Deadkenny was invinsible , guess have to take Lasso* next time to tame him (hahaha) but overall the ride was real nice! 

Wish there would be more riders to join/organised group rides.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Invinsible or invisible? :D

Somewhat slippery in places but not too muddy.

Good ride. Look forward to some more.
  • popstar
    Huhhh been caught out again. This Wednesday will pay a visit again to SH. But for this weekend am not to sure, unless peeps agree to late start (after lunch) and looking forward to some night riding at the end of session. But hell yeaa, in two weeks time I would be free for Saturday-Sunday rides. Hope to make it more epic on next ride!

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Atz
    Was a good ride if you ignore my frequent root initiated clipped-in falls. Good to meet you both. I think a slightly wider area covered is doable next time.
  • Atz
    Right. Crafty road ride only for me this weekend as we have company but next weekend am up for more.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Heya guys, living in North East London, just got me new Cube AMS and want to get it dirty.
    I've been out to Epping Forest a few weeks ago and was a bit wet and icy.
    Pitch Hill sounds good though, always keen to try out new areas.
    I was going to grab the train from London Bridge to Gomshall, a 1 hour (£10 return) journey apparently.
    Anyone heading out this or next Sunday?
  • Atz
    Next Sunday probably going out yep
  • popstar
    Next Saturday-Sunday most probably.

• agg25
    Well most likely going to head over for the Garrick race on Sunday (as long as the torn ligament in my ankle doesn't flare up) in the Open class, but next Sunday might be a goer.
  • Anonymous
    I can make next Sunday I think. I'll be out somewhere this sat/sun anyway too.

Is the Gorrick race at Swinley or elsewhere (they do Tunnel Hill I think too)? If not I might venture over to Swinley. Then again, Surrey Hills is better for my fitness before I go skiing :D
  • agg25
    They're at Tunnel Hill on Sunday.
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    Hey all,

Apologies about last Sunday, the England celebrations dragged on a bit and the phone wouldn't let me post on here, good to hear it was fun and games. Managed to get out in Swinley on Saturday so wasn't a complete right off.

Am going to be out of action for a few months but as soon as i'm back i'll be in touch for some weekend warrior, I ain't getting on no plane, I got a MTB and i'm riding straight through that muddy puddle action.

Take it easy,

Helter
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • popstar
    Hello to all.

Looking for some active sunday warriors to ride oncoming sunday (21st Feb), would preffer a bit more hardcore Surrey Hills over Swinley forest, but that could be decided between group riders where to go this time.

Would love to venture into Leith Hill, cos somehow Pitch+Holmbury hills can be ridden in under 2 hours of non stop riding, which as last time showed wasn't enough for peeps! I realise that if you take breaks away from riding that would push peeps further and eliminate that hunger for more, but hey ... who knows?!

Waiting for your suggestions on timing and places.

• Atz
    Assuming the weather holds up, I could do another early ride Sunday. Might even bring the flats this time ;)
  • Anonymous
    Should be up for it Sunday.

Would be nice to do Leith as I really don't know it much.

There's loads more on Pitch & Holmbury though. Just it's a case of finding it. I just find things by accident and then spend weeks trying to find it again.

Even still finding stuff at Swinley despite having gone there for several years now. Went yesterday and because of the stuff closed off for filming, I took another route and found several trails I'd not found before.
  • Atz
    I was talking to someone who explained another trail on Holmbury that we could have taken so if I can remember correctly we should be up for some more stuff there too.
  • Have a look at Redhill CC they have MTB groups that are out and about in Surrey / Kent every saturday and mose sundays and every wednesday nite.
    philscott
  • popstar
    Thanks on that info. How would you rate sketchymtb forums? Seems they are concetrated in SH as well.

• I'd never heard of them until now, They are a bit further east for me, I'm based in Edenbridge and the best riding from here is north and west towards the north downs and the Surrey hills. I will keep an eye on their website from now on though. Redhill have a good ride organised this Saturday Morning leaving from Wescott church (9.30). I went a couple of weeks ago and we had 23 turn out, everyone from a 19 year old to boys in their 60's. Its £2 if your not a member but a years membership is only £20. They / we are a very friendly bunch (in SE terms anyway) and there are loads of opportunities for weekends in Wales, Quantocks, Scotland Spain etc.
    philscott
  • popstar
    Thanks on details about redhill ... some tempting things there. On general note, this Friday gonna be clear weather, Saturday guess it will rain, and Sunday ... clear weather!!! So , people what time do you want to meet in Surrey Hills for ride? Atz, Deadkenny, am sure you guys will show up for more rides?!? I try to guess that somewhere between 8.30-9.30 start time would be good enough ... please confirm on your most suitable start times. Also we would like to welcome any other riders to join us, we ride at gentle pace and considerate to all :D .

• gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Hi, I might try and make it over on Sunday, but I might also be going to CwmCarn on saturday, so 2 early starts might be pushing it! Will see what pans out.

Greg.
  • Anonymous
    Later is better for me, just because I'm a lazy ass and can't get out of bed :D, but I don't mind earlier.

Greg, what's Cwmcarn like? A long time ago I lived in Cwmbran for a year nearby, but long before I had any interest in mountain bikes. Recall it was quite hilly round there :D. Never ventured into the hills though. Wouldn't take too long to get there down the M4 too I should think.
  • popstar
    Hmm yahoo weather says Friday, Saturday, Sunday will be clear weather! Gregsd go for it, am sure you will enjoy Wales. Wish I could ride on Saturday, but my fate brings me to Surrey Alps :-) on Sunday ! So ATZ, DEADKENNY you guys happy to meet at 9.30?

• Atz
    I'd prefer earlier but can do that.
  • popstar
    Seems as 9.00 is compromise for all to start? I'm fine to start at 9.00 so guess is Atz. Deadkenny can you wake up and be ready for 9.00? Hope to ride again both Pitch+Holmbury hills ... and if peeps feel fit, after tea break could venture into Leith Hill? Hope it will be at least 3+hours ride. Checked on i-phone os maps ... and there is option after we finish Telegraph row to venture straight onto roads for 3-5miles to Leith hill*, but then i somehow lost my paper map with marked trails on Leith hill, so wouldn't be able to help there with exact position of trails.

• Atz
    Sounds like we can exit Reservoir dogs on the road opposite BKB then ride over to Leith from there with BKB on the way back.
  • agg25
    Hey do you guys know the closest overground train station to where you all meet? Also any chance of a google map link showing exactly where you guys meet? Might be able to make it down on Sunday.
  • Atz
    agg - We meet at the carpark on Walking Bottom

Nearest mainline is Gomshall (a bit north) but depending where you're coming from, there's a chance that one of us can give you a lift from somewhere else a bit closer into London too.