Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• I also managed to acquire a puncture - a tiny bloody thorn in all that deep snow there was at 6.30am!

Thought I would enjoy the snow more than I actually did. Only managed to come off once, which was going down a rather steep hill and my fall was rather graceful I thought - even though there was no one to witness it!
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Fitted knobblies today: 2.1" Panaracer fireXCpro front, 1.8" same make/model rear (had them spare from my MTB days...)

25psi front, 35 psi rear.

Tested on drive, cars and people would struggle, for me a breeze.
    Tested descending cycle tracks: technically challeging but doable.

Went looking for icy roads, well I did go on my butt once! :-( It happened in slow motion, I could feel my hip tensing on the way down... no damage! Picked up bike as if nothin happened and continued to town for Xmas shopping.

Managed to deliver xmas cards to neighbours and friends too.

Monday morning, now, that'll be interesting!
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Lovely London background heat seems to cook most of the snow and ice off my route - SE22 to E1 - so bike for me.

∆
    ∆ ∆

btw newfags can't triforce
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I am going to nip out and check my commute route in a bit ,its on unlit twisty hilly country lanes so if its an ice slick i will take the petrol mobile monday morning.

I do not fancy coming off then having someone run over me at 60 mph in the dark as i know the folk who go along this stretch and they probably will not slow down for a bit of ice.......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • mugs
    mugs Posts: 46
    Went in on thursday and fell on ice, thought about not bothering on friday but I'm glad I did. T'was a blast, and really quiet as well as most of the walkers were put off.

th_snow7.jpg
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    As i suspected it was - 6 still at 9 am and the back roads were iffy ...................
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Yep, as everybody else has said really. I'll probably take my mountain bike and if I can't get in on that then no one else will be at work anyway!

Might not go in in shorts though like I did on Friday.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Walked to town yesterday for a few essentials, and managed a graceful 3 foot slide to bum-first landing :) Landed on my keys, which wasn't quite so funny. I think I looked like something out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon in my efforts to stay upright
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    nope.......I'll drive.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Will be knobblies and reduced psi for me tomorrow too if I fit the cross tyres, which is looking likely at the moment to enable me to get through the park. And because it's an excuse to go off-roading on the way to work.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    I'm in rural Lincolnshire I would have to be an idiot to venture out on the bike. Thinking about writing to the council and complaining about the state of the roads....What the hell do I pay road tax for?
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • cjcp wrote:
    Will be knobblies and reduced psi for me tomorrow too if I fit the cross tyres, which is looking likely at the moment to enable me to get through the park. And because it's an excuse to go off-roading on the way to work.

yup the grass etc is much safer fair bit is ice on the tarmac but fine with 38mm M+'s

though was fine if taken very slowly on the ice sadly I forgot about my works drive which I didn't take slowly or carefully and paid the price more pride than any thing!
  • Supposed to be cold in London overnight - hopefully not too much ice about for my road bike!

One thing which has annoyed me is my mum telling me I need to keep the bike in the garden instead of the dining room :shock: no chance of that happening :lol: I'm not leaving a £1.5K bike outside overnight :shock:
  • I'd be wary of doing it on a road bike, I hit black ice twice today and that was on a MTB with semi-slicks, but i guess you are going to go over on black ice regardless.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Walked the dig twice today (Sunday). Paths on and around the common were properly dangerous. Slicks of ice all over. The main roads looked ok, but side roads, esp the shady sides, were v bad.

These were still slick at 12.45, so likely they'll gave stayed slick all afternoon and through the night.

Be careful, esp off the main roads, tomorrow.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Fine in brum today. I'm colder in the office now than I was on the bike. Need to do something about my feet though, my toes were freezing this morning.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Walked the dig twice today (Sunday). Paths on and around the common were properly dangerous. Slicks of ice all over. The main roads looked ok, but side roads, esp the shady sides, were v bad.

These were still slick at 12.45, so likely they'll gave stayed slick all afternoon and through the night.

And like a miracle ... it seems to have wormed overnight. Roads were damp and greasy, but the moisture was all in cyclist-friendly liquid form.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Walked the dig twice today (Sunday). Paths on and around the common were properly dangerous. Slicks of ice all over. The main roads looked ok, but side roads, esp the shady sides, were v bad.

And like a miracle ... it seems to have wormed overnight. Roads were damp and greasy, but the moisture was all in cyclist-friendly liquid form.

drove the wife into day as she had computers on her that probably wouldn't like a fall, and it's cold....

but getting to the point noticed the odd ice patch on the sides to catch gutter huggers etc even on the main roads around kingston.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    My commute, even the main road long way round (which I drove) would have been unridable this morning. Felt like a wimp getting the car out but glad I did. There's a descent where you struggle to do less than 40mph which would have been no kind of fun.

Hope it thaws soon :(
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I had a puncture on Friday too.
    Not funny :x
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

+1, with the exception of the side roads leading up to the Park from my house. I put the cross tyres on and did some cheeky off-roading around RP on the way to work. Great fun. :D

And good to see you this morning, Mr66. Always a pleasure, never a chore.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I would have cycled today but i had to bring my shirts in. Defo for the rest of the week. Where the roads are gritted it's fine and the bridle paths i use are good so not overly concerned. I'll just have to be careful on the local streets out of the village.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • My commute in was surprisingly easy even on the side roads that were icy even with slick tyres. The only time I almost fell over was when I got off the bike to walk across a 'no cycling' section on Wandsworth Common. Safer on the bike!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Had to commute by bike today, as car is in garage for service: infact took car to garage, with bike in boot, then cycled to work.

Location: Wokingham/Twyford/Maidenhead, A roads: all good, not problem with ice or snow.
  • i'll be riding it latter on as I did sunday though I will take works drive aka ice rink more carefully!
  • +1, with the exception of the side roads leading up to the Park from my house. I put the cross tyres on and did some cheeky off-roading around RP on the way to work. Great fun. :D

And good to see you this morning, Mr66. Always a pleasure, never a chore.[/quote]

Yeah most of mine is off road so i think i'll just go for it. Must remember the crash helmet though.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Looking out the window today, I went "hell no" as it was just pure ice on every road I could see.
    But today seems a little warmer, I might well try out the steed's new parts tomorrow on the road.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • cjcp wrote:
    And good to see you this morning, Mr66. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

Ditto. Livened up what otherwise was promising to be a mundane Monday ride in.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    hmmm the rain that was falling, has now turned to snow.

Oh Joy....

Gonna be fun on the way home.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I'm only cycling today so that I can keep my place in the commuter cycling stats. All my joints are aching, I have a sore throat, headache, feel bloody awful....and now it's snowing! :?