Christmas drinks'n'curry - 18th Dec - CURRY LIST CLOSED

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Ah the old "I don't know where I'm going but I'm going there fast"

Don't forget the "I know I'm going the wrong way, but I will NOT be overtaken."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gert_lush wrote:
    This maybe a silly question to you london folk, but which is the best way to get to the Morpeth from Paddington station? Being a Yokel I was planning on exiting the station, cycling south until I hit the big river and then taking a left and carrying along embankment till I hit the big shiny lights and masses of carbon. cant go wrong!

The scenic route inc. "the strip"
    Down to Marble Arch hook a right just before Oxford street onto Park lane :shock: down to Hyde Park Corner :shock: :shock: pretty much straight across following the flow past Victoria until you come to this tall building with a clock on each face :wink: few slow laps of the square to gather speed then slingshot right towards the drag strip, giving it everything you've got - you wouldn't want to turn up sans scalp, especially with everyone watching :lol:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28392

or you could slide your way there unnoticed via the back streets
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28393

But watch out there's almost 100ft of ascent :lol:

6a8abb5090a84c75b079a238d642a043.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I do like a good challenge, i'm thinking maybe a few laps up and down embankment if I get there early, just to get my eye in of course :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • itboffin
    gert_lush wrote:
    I do like a good challenge, i'm thinking maybe a few laps up and down embankment if I get there early, just to get my eye in of course :D

Top drag strip tip, wait for a coach or bus/taxi at the Millbank roundabout then jump on the wheel it's drag you along at a mental speed, think swing of to the right for the overtake and central reservation dismount, they love that :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • :shock:

I don't know if anyone else does this, but whenever I get a draft from a car I always pretend its a team car on the TDF and i'm trying to get back to the pack :oops:
    last I saw people in the TDF all have steel tourers and a pannier!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    itboffin wrote:

Beware - the bit between the bottom of Park lane (Hyde Park Corner) and Vauxhall Bridge Road is a multi-laned bitc4 of a route. I wouldn't take it if you're unfamiliar with London traffic.

You could, instead, go through the middle of Hyde Park, then down Sloane Street, Chelsea Bridge Road, then turn left at the river and get in a mile or so of Embankment for that real SCR feel.
  • itboffin
    Beware Hyde Park in the dark, for there are many ninja walkers, runners and cyclists as well as those nice chaps that like to mug people for their bikes.
  • I would suggest going into Hyde Park on the yellow bit of road that runs south of bayswater road, then skirt round the edge of the park, staying inside it.

I don't find the bit of road down to Vauxhall Bridge Road that bad, but Park Lane is a tad mental from time to time. Also, the lanes are quite small so filtering can be an issue.

Biondino's suggestion is good, but I always get lost if I try to cut through that area. :oops:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    itboffin wrote:
    Beware Hyde Park in the dark, for there are many ninja walkers, runners and cyclists as well as those nice chaps that like to mug people for their bikes.

Except when you're on a well-used main road, as I'm suggesting!
  • itboffin wrote:

Hehehe. This looks like it could have come out of the top drawer of 66 navigation routes. :twisted:

Think like a car, ride like a car, beat the cars!

Ride much on the A4? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • wowzers, i wasn't realising so many people would help me out, thanks guys. Think i'll take the general routes mentioned above and wing it and see what happens,I have no problem playing in traffic (he says now) I need to go via mayfair anyway for a cheeky half and looks on route.

not long now woohoooo :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hehehe. This looks like it could have come out of the top drawer of 66 navigation routes. :twisted:

Think like a car, ride like a car, beat the cars!

Ride much on the A4? :wink:

Every morning/evening as it goes but only for 2.5 miles, I find it's best to ride super defensive and quickly, I'm always surprised at just how quickly people drive along there.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Having done the ride GL is going to try last year I can say it wasn't as bad as I expected, I was bricking it at the thought of avoiding black cabs and bendy buses. The route we took was out of Paddington, use the LH exit as you leave the train, and into the back streets to get to Marble Arch, Park Lane to Hyde Park Corner, down Grosvenor Place and onto Vauxhall Bridge Road though we did end up going down Victoria Street to Parliment Square where I had a run in with an impatient black cab then a pootle/sprint along the river to the pub.
    One word of warning, leave plenty of time for the ride back to Paddington and don't turn left too early at Hyde Park Corner and have to cut through Hyde Park and lose your bearings with regards Edgware Road. Missing the last train out of Paddington on a friday night isn't fun.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:
    Having done the ride GL is going to try last year I can say it wasn't as bad as I expected, I was bricking it at the thought of avoiding black cabs and bendy buses. The route we took was out of Paddington, use the LH exit as you leave the train, and into the back streets to get to Marble Arch, Park Lane to Hyde Park Corner, down Grosvenor Place and onto Vauxhall Bridge Road though we did end up going down Victoria Street to Parliment Square where I had a run in with an impatient black cab then a pootle/sprint along the river to the pub.
    One word of warning, leave plenty of time for the ride back to Paddington and don't turn left too early at Hyde Park Corner and have to cut through Hyde Park and lose your bearings with regards Edgware Road. Missing the last train out of Paddington on a friday night isn't fun.

Red you not coming this year?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Red you not coming this year?

Already booked for a night out in Brizzle with work people and a night out on saturday with friends. Might have been able to do the 11th if MA could accomodate us.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Room for one more? I have never been to any of the meets, so it would be ace to come along...

I expect I could make it by 6pm leaving, work ect. But I'll be on the tube.

I got my bike finally this week, it took over an hour to get out the shop with the bike my order was messed up but it all worked well in the end. I'm nearly orgainsed having moved house sort of unpacked! I still can't find stuff I need like my USB cable for printer, which I needed 5 minutes ago.

I can suggest if your not use to the city, stick to the well lit areas where its public and lots of people. The weather look bad for the rest of the week, however its not meant to snow here on Friday :roll: ok that whats they said today!
  • Aidy
    Room for one more? I have never been to any of the meets, so it would be ace to come along...

I expect I could make it by 6pm leaving, work ect. But I'll be on the tube.

I got my bike finally this week, it took over an hour to get out the shop with the bike my order was messed up but it all worked well in the end. I'm nearly orgainsed having moved house sort of unpacked! I still can't find stuff I need like my USB cable for printer, which I needed 5 minutes ago.

I can suggest if your not use to the city, stick to the well lit areas where its public and lots of people. The weather look bad for the rest of the week, however its not meant to snow here on Friday :roll: ok that whats they said today!

Think the curry list is closed, but all are welcome.

Although, with ITB's +1 dropping out, maybe? See what LiT says...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MetalMonkey - yep, definitely come along for some beers! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Correct my +1 is now a -1 so your welcome to the spot, I guess my plan to wear a fake beard and eat two servings will have to wait until next year ;)
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Well after an "exciting" (read horrible) ride in today I don't think I can bring Charlie, my bike, to the bash. He is just near impossible to keep stable with the issues, I need to spend sunday tinkering I think.

Still going to be getting in earlyish, would the lunchtime trip be still possible for a pedestrian (will understand if too difficult to get in without lycra/bike since I would probably be walking round)? I would have no clue where I am going so might need to beg someones phone number in case/when I get lost if anyone is able to help with that.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Farringdon Bleeding Heart, you can skip to the peth with IP afterwards
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

Sadly he can't, I need to head home between lunch and the 'peth.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

oh yes, but it's kinda in the same direction for a bit...kinda

enjoy dances with Smurfs though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin wrote:
    Correct my +1 is now a -1 so your welcome to the spot, I guess my plan to wear a fake beard and eat two servings will have to wait until next year ;)

ITB, I presumed your +1 was a joke, so you only ever had one spot on the curry list, which I'm afraid is now closed.

Unless you mean your spot, as in you're not coming?

But MetalMonkey you're welcome for beers.
  • hisoka
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

oh yes, but it's kinda in the same direction for a bit...kinda

enjoy dances with Smurfs though

I'll be fine finding the random place on my random way. :lol: Just had to be reminded the two places so I can find my directions :D

• Aidy
    ITB, I presumed your +1 was a joke, so you only ever had one spot on the curry list, which I'm afraid is now closed.

Assuming it's a joke that ITB could find a +1? Harsh! ;)
  • Aidy wrote:

Assuming it's a joke that ITB could find a +1? Harsh! ;)

:lol:

I assumed it was a joke as no protests were made when he only had one place on the curry list.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

No the +1 was real, saves me an additional £10 anyway, of course i'm coming, there's beer isn't there :D
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

No the +1 was real, saves me an additional £10 anyway, of course i'm coming, there's beer isn't there :D

So when I said 'make sure you're on the list' and there was only one 'itboffin' you didn't say anything because....?

Men. You give them simple instructions. Simple as possible. In short, manageable sentences. And still....

:roll:
  • hisoka
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

So when I said 'make sure you're on the list' and there was only one 'itboffin' you didn't say anything because....?

Men. You give them simple instructions. Simple as possible. In short, manageable sentences. And still....

:roll:

Point, grunt and gesticulate in general. Much more helpful to some people. :lol: