Christmas drinks'n'curry - 18th Dec - CURRY LIST CLOSED

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    No bike for me - too much booze involved in friday.
  • Is anyone still up for the lunch cycle and chomp session before pottling to morpeth?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Are the other 'Carbon Superpowers' bring there carbon steeds?

The Vol- sorry, Viner :) - will be staying home. So your futile attempt to take the carbon bike owners' wooden spoon will have to wait ;) On the Cadenza, probably.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My plus one has bailed leaving me with some logistical issues :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll be on a bike, no idea about which one yet..... i'll have some carbon with me though :lol:

Bleeding Heart from 12 beers eats then single malt then cycling to the peth
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Gonna be on my Giant, promising myself that I'll be getting train home from Vauxhall - Wimbledon that night.
    itboffin wrote:

Who was the plus one, where are you coming from, how you getting home?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gonna be on my Giant, promising myself that I'll be getting train home from Vauxhall - Wimbledon that night.
    itboffin wrote:

Who was the plus one, where are you coming from, how you getting home?

If you don't train it I'll ride back to Balham Waitrose providing I haven't drunk too much....otherwise I'll be doing the Victoria-East Croydon trip again :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I'll be on a bike, no idea about which one yet..... i'll have some carbon with me though :lol:

Bleeding Heart from 12 beers eats then single malt then cycling to the peth

Garlic snails while wearing lycra - whatever next!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    biondino wrote:
    No bike for me - too much booze involved in friday.

+1

Pity really as I could really do with the mileage that day for the SCS. :(
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Porgy wrote:
    Pity really as I could really do with the mileage that day for the SCS. :(

Special Cycling Service? :)

psst. Fix the link in your signature, too.
  • providing I haven't drunk too much...

You what now?!...

*Ahem*

The weather does look indeed super shitty for friday too... Its gonna be cold.
  • Clever Pun
    providing I haven't drunk too much...

You what now?!...

*Ahem*

The weather does look indeed super shitty for friday too... Its gonna be cold.

maybe put on a long sleeved top?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

I did Monday and Tuesday and sweated my ass off yesterday but while (and bear with me I got better) I pondered the idea of not cycling to the Morpeth on Friday (the feeling passed quickly, fear not) I realised I could potentially even wear 3 layers... the outer perhaps even being a jacket!

That reminds me of lunch somewhere before the Mighty Morpeth is breached?
  • This maybe a silly question to you london folk, but which is the best way to get to the Morpeth from Paddington station? Being a Yokel I was planning on exiting the station, cycling south until I hit the big river and then taking a left and carrying along embankment till I hit the big shiny lights and masses of carbon. cant go wrong!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gert_lush wrote:
    This maybe a silly question to you london folk, but which is the best way to get to the Morpeth from Paddington station? Being a Yokel I was planning on exiting the station, cycling south until I hit the big river and then taking a left and carrying along embankment till I hit the big shiny lights and masses of carbon. cant go wrong!

Sounds about right tbh.
  • see I knew the village wasn't as big and scary as you guys make out! :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

I did Monday and Tuesday and sweated my ass off yesterday but while (and bear with me I got better) I pondered the idea of not cycling to the Morpeth on Friday (the feeling passed quickly, fear not) I realised I could potentially even wear 3 layers... the outer perhaps even being a jacket!

That reminds me of lunch somewhere before the Mighty Morpeth is breached?

Are you a goldfish?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Are you a goldfish?

Thought that was you with a private party... and seems a nice french restaurant which in cycle gear could be entertaining. If not - game on.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Are you a goldfish?

Thought that was you with a private party... and seems a nice french restaurant which in cycle gear could be entertaining. If not - game on.

it's the bar bit upstairs given indefinite numbers we can't book a table now can we?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gert_lush wrote:
    This maybe a silly question to you london folk, but which is the best way to get to the Morpeth from Paddington station? Being a Yokel I was planning on exiting the station, cycling south until I hit the big river and then taking a left and carrying along embankment till I hit the big shiny lights and masses of carbon. cant go wrong!

Make sure you're headed south, and you should come to a big park, head south-east across it and you should come to a big roundabout with an arch with a big statue on top of it. Follow signs on the road and the signposts for Vauxhall Bridge, you'll feel like you're going the wrong way, but you're not. When you get to the river, don't go onto the big road (the famous Embankment) but turn left on the pavement (not on your bike) et voila, le morpeth!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    gert_lush wrote:

Make sure you're headed south, and you should come to a big park, head south-east across it and you should come to a big roundabout with an arch with a big statue on top of it. Follow signs on the road and the signposts for Vauxhall Bridge, you'll feel like you're going the wrong way, but you're not. When you get to the river, don't go onto the big road (the famous Embankment) but turn left on the pavement (not on your bike) et voila, le morpeth!

Print a map/take an iphone. I got lost in LiT's instructions and I'm a local.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    biondino wrote:
    Did you end up at Battersea power station?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    gert_lush wrote:
    see I knew the village wasn't as big and scary as you guys make out! :D

Are you cycling or alternative transportation?

There's at least a couple of us coming in from Reading who could meet you at Paddington - but we're train and no bike I'm afraid.

PM me if you want to tag along.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • biondino wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

Coolio I'll remember that

south>park> statue>river>pavement>pub :D

I'll be biking but cheers for the offer TommyEss
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • biondino wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

Let me localise it for you... Head south into Hyde Park, south-east to Hyde Park Corner, go round the rdbt to VIctoria and follow the signs for Vauxhall Bridge...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    My route from Waterloo's a doddle. Down to & over Lambeth Bridge, John Islip Street, down (forgotten the name of it) road to the 'Peth. However, I haven't checked the return journey for one-way streets etc- same route OK?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This reminds me a little of the conversation in the car "Notting Hill", when they're telling Tim McKinnery how to get to the Savoy. :)

Gert - will PM you my mobile no. in case you run into difficulties. Might be worth a couple of others doing the same as I'm not likely to be there until 6.30.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ha, cheers for maps and advice everyone, I'll be fine, I have a pretty good (lucky) sense of direction, and its only a few miles, plus how lost can one get!

I have walked around some of that area before just never biked it, am looking forward to it as I always get jealous when I have been in london before and see cyclists ripping it up everywhere and i'm on the tube or walking.

The last time I cycled in london I was following a mate so took no notice of where I was going and generally got annoyed as we were going quite slow and people were scalping us left right and centre....well mark my words lonon folk I will be trying this time! although may keep stopping to look at my google map printout and therefore look like a tourist, which I'm not, i'm just not a local
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    gert_lush wrote:
    ha, cheers for maps and advice everyone, I'll be fine, I have a pretty good (lucky) sense of direction, and its only a few miles, plus how lost can one get!

I have walked around some of that area before just never biked it, am looking forward to it as I always get jealous when I have been in london before and see cyclists ripping it up everywhere and i'm on the tube or walking.

The last time I cycled in london I was following a mate so took no notice of where I was going and generally got annoyed as we were going quite slow and people were scalping us left right and centre....well mark my words lonon folk I will be trying this time! although may keep stopping to look at my google map printout and therefore look like a tourist, which I'm not, i'm just not a local

Ah the old "I don't know where I'm going but I'm going there fast"
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5