Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    there is also and since this is the commuting part seems fitting. http://www.thelondonclassic.org/

quite tempted have to say.

Same here, posted about it on the social rides thread, but it's gone unremarked so far...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • StuAff wrote:
    there is also and since this is the commuting part seems fitting. http://www.thelondonclassic.org/

Same here, posted about it on the social rides thread, but it's gone unremarked so far...

Ah seen it a few places now couldn't for life of me remember where! I suspect I'll need to tag on to a guide or I'll be map staring...
  • StuAff wrote:

Ah seen it a few places now couldn't for life of me remember where! I suspect I'll need to tag on to a guide or I'll be map staring...

I think it's the idea of cycling 40 miles around London. Personally I'd rather do a sportive on some proper country roads then having to ride stop/start for 3 hours.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • StuAff wrote:

I think it's the idea of cycling 40 miles around London. Personally I'd rather do a sportive on some proper country roads then having to ride stop/start for 3 hours.

ah thats the appeal for I, but then I'm very much a country boy at heart still.
  • StuAff wrote:

ah thats the appeal for I, but then I'm very much a country boy at heart still.

I did the London Bikeathon charity ride 3 years ago, it was 26 miles from Chelsea Hospital to Thames Barrier park, out and back. It wasn't a bad ride but I don't think it was until Isle of Dogs until we got a good turn of speed with a clear road and no traffic lights! We took in plenty of sights but most of central London I'll see on my commute.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Anyone riding the Surrey Rumble in March?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    First ever sportive on Sunday :-)

I picked the Evans one from Esher, on the basis that it would probably be fairly low-key, and wasn't too intimidating distance-wise. Remembered to eat on the way round, made it to the finish in reasonably good shape, and had a great time.

I've seen lots of advice about hooking up with a group going the right sort of speed, but it seems inevitable to me that the only people you meet are going to be significantly faster/slower. I came across lots of twos and threes going relatively slowly, but ended up doing the full distance solo (which was fine).

What sort of speed do people tend to ride these events?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What sort of speed do people tend to ride these events?

Evans post the results up after a week or so (though they took 6 months to do the Lakes one I did last year). The average speed increases with the distance option and varies depending on terrain. That said, I think some on the Lakes did over 16 mph average and that included Hardknott and Wrynose passes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    cjcp wrote:

Not the Rumble, but me and my bud signed up yesterday for the Burgess Hill Spring Classic....first sportive of the year, cannot wait!!! especially as I'll be reunited with my Speedster for the first time since Cape Town last August

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:

just had a look
    The 2010 Surrey Rumble is Full

seems not
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

just had a look

seems not
    I made that mistake, too. "It's local, it'll never fill up", thought I. Sportive entry FAIL
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

just had a look

seems not
    I made that mistake, too. "It's local, it'll never fill up", thought I. Sportive entry FAIL

I don't really see the point of entering local Sportives and paying to ride on roads I ride all the time... more fun to sample other events on new roads surely?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

just had a look

seems not

I don't really see the point of entering local Sportives and paying to ride on roads I ride all the time... more fun to sample other events on new roads surely?
    Very true. However, I'm lazy unless driven by a goal. March 7th would have been a long ride in the Marmotte plan; an imperial century with riding to/from the event. Not sure that's gonna happen now ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    http://www.dartmoorclassic.co.uk/

OK as I rode it last year I can highly recommend it; but I am now a member of MDCC so cannot enter. It would be great for some of you SWers to enter this event. As probably one of the most active cycling clubs in the UK we enter a lot of sportives and as a result are determined when we come back to make ours better than anything else. None of us are allowed to enter (check me out full on roadie in a year) as we either better have a good excuse for not volunteering (I am riding London 2 Paris with another club member) or be dead; but it would be great for you to come down and abuse our food stops (flapjacks, bananas, dried fruit and nuts and as much energy drink as you want in 2009).

The 2010 course will be largely the same as 2009 (which for those who rode 2008 know you won't face Dartmeet (ya little girls)), which has both great climbs (3407m on the 100mile course) and decents as well as a great flat out section when you cross the moor for the fnal time.

I wish I could cheer you on but alas I am spending 3 days cycling to Paris. Although anyone fancy the tour of wessex in May (thinking of doing 1 day as a warm up).

Edit: Forgot to mention there are approx 200 places left already! So now could be your last warning.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • cjcp
    @Symo - ah, that's the weekend before the Marmotte, so will have to stay at home that weekend.

@TGOTB - top stuff. Speed depends on the conditions and how hilly the route is. When's your next one?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Symo, I'm tempted by the Dartmoor Classic, very tempted
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • @Symo
    Was just about to post to see if anyone was entering the Dartmoor Classic and you got in there with a great summary of it. A couple of friends and I are doing the 100 miler, Mrs OSK and some of her friends are going to do the 100km course. Heard rave reviews of it last year. As the man says, get in there early as they are running out of places.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK so I'm down for the Spring Onion.

http://www.swrc.org.uk/

I got butterflys having just looked at the Route, I don't think I'm going to be ready...

All I want is to complete the course, not be last and do it in less than 4hrs. Is that realistic....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I got butterflys having just looked at the Route, I don't think I'm going to be ready...

All I want is to complete the course, not be last and do it in less than 4hrs. Is that realistic....

I am doing it too, so you won't come last. I think you will be fine, 4 hours is pretty quick!
  • @Symo
    Was just about to post to see if anyone was entering the Dartmoor Classic and you got in there with a great summary of it. A couple of friends and I are doing the 100 miler, Mrs OSK and some of her friends are going to do the 100km course. Heard rave reviews of it last year. As the man says, get in there early as they are running out of places.

yup yup I'm already signed up for the Dartmoor classic, have done it the last 2 years and found it to be bbbrrillliiaanntttt but rather on the tiring side, its pretty hilly around those parts!

I did quite like that really really steep long hill in 2008, but that's because i'm a big girls blouse and have a triple so it was a doddle!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I am doing it too, so you won't come last. I think you will be fine, 4 hours is pretty quick!

Looks like a nice little ride! 4 hours gives you a nice 15mph average which should be doable - it's amazing what a difference quiet country roads and a lack of traffic lights can do to your average!

Having a look over the SWRC website they look very good and the 12 hour time trial guy is certifiable! Lets hope he doesn't SCR - he managed to average 23mph :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Is it? 45mins 10mile commute to work (and that's a very very generous time). 45mins times 6 = 270mins into hours = 4.5hrs... OK maths was off. Lol.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Is it? 45mins 10mile commute to work (and that's a very very generous time). 45mins times 6 = 270mins into hours = 4.5hrs... OK maths was off. Lol.

Not planning on stopping?! Don't forget to factor in time for feed stops, getting lost, mechanicals - 5hrs would probably be a decent enough time.
  • DonDaddyD
    If I do it in less than 6hrs I'll be happy.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DDD - Your commute time should be a maximum for 10 miles on those roads, bearing in mind all the stop/start traffic and lights it makes it really difficult to maintain pace.
    If your talking total time including stops 6 hours should be easily doable.
    I targeted myself 4 hours for the C2C last year which is the same distance as the Spring Onion (not sure how it compares ascent wise) and I was very surprised when I completed it in closer to 3:30. Admittedly I was trying to do it non-stop but I certainly didn't set off to flog myself and never really felt like I was pushing it, bar a few downhills and the final stretch :-)

BTW if you want to do any Sunday rides or laps of RP let me know and I might be able to meet up for a few :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    DDD - get yourself to RP and the Surrey Hills or Kent for some longer rides. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Signed up for the Evans Chiltern ride - 30 miler this time - new bike and my first time
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Signed up for the Evans Chiltern ride - 30 miler this time - new bike and my first time

Is that the Watlington one ? You doing road or offroad version ?
    I'm signed up for the 60-ish mile (medium) road variant on the Sunday. If that's the one you're doing I want to have a look at the new bike :)

I'm considering bringing the kayak instead of any bike !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Is that the Watlington one ? You doing road or offroad version ?
    I'm signed up for the 60-ish mile (medium) road variant on the Sunday. If that's the one you're doing I want to have a look at the new bike :)

I'm considering bringing the kayak instead of any bike !

I'm doing the sportive on the Sunday but the 30 mile until I get used to the new bike - still feels very unstable going from flat bars to drops - you should spot me - don;t think there will be too many Genesis in the pack - I'll be the one at the back!! :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    I've entered the New Forest Sportive - the standard ride.
    Food Chain number = 4