Hell of Ashdown

12346»

Comments

• 8) hi, I completed the ride & whilst worried on the saturday (when looking around), didn't find it too bad (the ice) on the day, as it was usually fairly obvious where it was - I can understand the complaints, and wasn't sure myself (when driving through ice patches the day before); but on balance, it seemed like the right thing to go ahead with the event - in addition to good organisation (last year i did a 100 mile sportive that had no on-course marshalls and inadequate signage) i think the organisers did well with warning signs at various sections - the only complaint i have (if that is the right word) is time possibly lost through walking/treading carefully through the ice, but as we are always told IT IS NOT A RACE - unfortunately, that makes me want to do it again!! - cheers to all who did complete it, and sorry if you did fall off
  • In Dante's Inferno, the lowest circle of Hell is a vast frozen lake of the devil's tears. So not unlike last Sunday really. I have the bruises and scabs to prove it.
  • I still can't work out why you are so bothered. You had clearly decided not to do the ride before you knew whether a) there was actually any problem with ice as you suspected, or b) if the ice avoidance diversion route was to be used. Like me, you took the decision for yourself with the knowledge it could be icy, and you didn't fancy that.

Is everyone else less knowledgable than us superior beings? Or did they just make a different decision with access to the same information?

If you go back a page or two and read my posts, you'll find out why I am bothered... I can't keep repeating the same things over and over...

That must be it, I can't read what you have written. It's not that you haven't explained very well why everyone else with the same information as you wasn't empowered to make their own decision (even if it was different to yours and mine).

I'll give it another go, or get a friend to help me.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Well for what it's worth I had a blast. I had a couple of "Oh F*ck!" moments where I just about managed to stay shiny side up, then took it much more gingerly and unclipped over the subsequent ice. Riders up ahead warning of danger also helped. I'll be signing up for next year. Hope those who damaged bodies (and worse - Rapha...) get well soon.

Steve