Hell of Ashdown

Blinsters
Blinsters Posts: 24
Has anyone done this before? Anyone doing it this year?

I am going to sign up when entry open. The organisers are really pushing it as a toughie.

Comments

• I will probably be marshalling again, photos from past rides here;
    3270783280_2a6fb923a4.jpg

Hopefully it will be warmer this year :wink:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I did it this year. It's a great route but the snow for the last few hours didn't help much :lol: Never been so cold in all my life. All part of the fun isn't it?
  • Quite tempted by this early one... short and hilly, just as I like them...

I seem to have gathered it's 20 pounds... anyone can confirm?

Worst that can happen is that it snows, I stay in bed and lose 20 pounds, I suppose... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Well organised event.

Marshalls played a blinder last year in driving snow. Some nice hills and if you get a good day nice country lanes.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    a few of us from the commuting forum did it last year

I've just about warmed up enough to contemplate it next year
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Am tempted by this one as a pre-season run-out.
    Did "The Wall" on a ten tonne MTB.. :oops:
  • I'm in! 8.35 slot :D
  • Sold out before I'd returned from the Exmoor Beast. Good for cycling, not so good for me :(

I hope they're able to increase the capacity, but I doubt it..
    Planet X SL Pro Carbon
    Klein Attitude
  • It's getting like the Etape. Bizarre.

Mind you, if it's as cold as it was last year then half the entrants won't turn up.
  • It's getting like the Etape. Bizarre.

Mind you, if it's as cold as it was last year then half the entrants won't turn up.

First event of the year, good reviews, nice area, good climbs... in many ways it seems to tick all the boxes and if the weather is decent it should be a good day out.
    Not surprised it got full quickly. Flat anonymous events struggle more to fill up as they look like "sunday rides" with a timing chip...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Only moan I have is the feed stations could be better stocked.

Cracking route really challenging for an early season outing.

9.25 start for me.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Only moan I have is the feed stations could be better stocked.

Cracking route really challenging for an early season outing.

9.25 start for me.

8.35 start... I bet when you get to the feed stations there won't be any cake left... :D
  • I did this a couple of years ago, nice atmosphere, bloomin' cold, don't stop peddalling !.

For last years event, woke up, looked out the window, back to bed ....far too snowy for my liking. Don't think my road tyres would have helped that day.

Signed up for this years event .... with all that snow still out there, I'm debating whether its a good idea, all that ice !. Will make the call on the day.....

.....perhaps, leave the house under the guise I'm doing the ride, (leave family asleep), and go for a "proper" breakfast instead, mushrooms, beans,the works, and read the newspaper.....without being interuppted every 20 seconds

Beautiful riding, despite the cold, you'll get over that once you get going.

Good luck !
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    They changed the route last year to try and avoid some of the icier bits and it was fine from that point of view.
  • 20 days to go... a bit early to start worrying... a week of mild weather would sort all the ice/snow issues.
    My worry is the lack of preparation. I've done little... I've done nothing actually... probably 100 miles in the last 3 weeks

Paolo
  • OK OK ............I'm making excuses....yes, its too early to consider not doing the Ashdown, truth is, I have a turkey belly and beer body to boot and am totally outta shape.
    Somebody help me ! How can I ride like this ?

Anyone else feeling fat ? Lets pair up for the day ..... we can mosy through - who cares about PB's ?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I am down to do it but need to find my road bike first. I have a vague feeling I left it in the shed sometime in November.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I missed out on an entry - but after two weeks with snow on the ground here .... I'm feeling better about it - haven't been out on the road in nearly a month. Still snow everywhere and more forecast for tomorrow.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • The whole idea of entering the Hell was to motivate myself to keep riding through the winter for a change. I stopped riding in mid September - spent most of the indian summer and autumn suffering with a whole range of nursery colds and viruses. Every time I felt well enough to get back on the bike I'd go down with another. Now I'm well we've got the the big freeze. Delighted to hear that others are training as much as me. At least I won't be the only one suffering and wheezing my way round the route.

I'm regretting booking a late start time - think I'd better fit some lights just in cast I can't make in round in daylight!!
  • attica
    shuckburgh wrote:
    The whole idea of entering the Hell was to motivate myself to keep riding through the winter for a change. I stopped riding in mid September - spent most of the indian summer and autumn suffering with a whole range of nursery colds and viruses. Every time I felt well enough to get back on the bike I'd go down with another. Now I'm well we've got the the big freeze. Delighted to hear that others are training as much as me. At least I won't be the only one suffering and wheezing my way round the route.

I'm regretting booking a late start time - think I'd better fit some lights just in cast I can't make in round in daylight!!

Snap!
    That's pretty much exactly howthe last 3-4 months have played out for me too.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • shuckburgh wrote:
    The whole idea of entering the Hell was to motivate myself to keep riding through the winter for a change. I stopped riding in mid September - spent most of the indian summer and autumn suffering with a whole range of nursery colds and viruses. Every time I felt well enough to get back on the bike I'd go down with another. Now I'm well we've got the the big freeze. Delighted to hear that others are training as much as me. At least I won't be the only one suffering and wheezing my way round the route.

I suggest we ride as a gruppetto. Personally I will be there if the weather allows, but the idea is a social ride more than a sportive. No targets, other than get to the finish safe and try all available cake
  • Phew, this is music to my ears !

I thought I'd be the only one unprepared. Its so good to hear, (for all the right reasons!).

I love this sport for the escapism and achievement, I also love it for casual chit chat with people you've never met before. And of course, the multiple cakes and mocha's, which I wholeheartedly deserve.
  • Same here - only been outside on the bike once since christmas.

Will give it a go for a few hours this Sunday, then see on the day if I fancy it.
  • I don't think many people have miles in their legs...

Some weirdos might have spent some time on the turbos, but that's it...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I don't think many people have miles in their legs...

such as me :(:o

I have also got a late start time (10.00). It should be fun - compared to another hour in the turbo tonight!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:

I have also got a late start time (10.00). It should be fun - compared to another hour in the turbo tonight!

I assume the start time is only indicative... don't think they'll really implement it... a logistical nightmare... worst than the boarding/pecking order with easyjet...
  • attica
    gabriel959 wrote:

I assume the start time is only indicative... don't think they'll really implement it... a logistical nightmare... worst than the boarding/pecking order with easyjet...

Actually last year it seemed to work rather well, there aren't many riders in each time slot so there was no real queuing to speak of
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301

There's an update here, looks pretty strict to me:

http://www.hell.gb.com/
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    missed out on entering this one so plan to ride this when the weather it better via the GPS download route.

Good luck for those that do this on the day