Hell of Ashdown

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Seanos wrote:
    I assume the start time is only indicative... don't think they'll really implement it... a logistical nightmare... worst than the boarding/pecking order with easyjet...

There's an update here, looks pretty strict to me:

http://www.hell.gb.com/

What I personally really like, it looks to be an event really well organised.

And Mule Bars for free … mmm Mule Bars!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Seanos wrote:
    I assume the start time is only indicative... don't think they'll really implement it... a logistical nightmare... worst than the boarding/pecking order with easyjet...

Be warned, last year there were about three different styles of arrow signs, kept discovering that I was going the wrong way by spotting people coming back up the road with race numbers on - happened to me 3 times.

(I know, it's my responsibility to follow the route guide blah blah blah)

+1 for the mule bars though - liquorice ones to be avoided though, even if you do like liquorice which I do.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • gabriel959
    Attica wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Seanos wrote:

Be warned, last year there were about three different styles of arrow signs, kept discovering that I was going the wrong way by spotting people coming back up the road with race numbers on - happened to me 3 times.

(I know, it's my responsibility to follow the route guide blah blah blah)

+1 for the mule bars though - liquorice ones to be avoided though, even if you do like liquorice which I do.

Attica,

Thanks for tips – I am riding it with people that have ridden it before so I “should” be ok :) There are loads of BikeRadar members riding it too – should be interesting.

I didn’t even get lost at the Shakespeare Sportive which has horrendously signed so hopefully I should be ok in this one.

Mule bars – Liquorice bars don’t sound good, no. Hopefully they will have some offers there as I might buy some although I have just taken delivery of a box of cliff bars! I absolutely love liquorice too, I even munch the tree branches!!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • attica
    Nom          No           Route       Start time
    Shoulder     643          110K           09:00
    mathammond   25           110k           09:00
    BentMikey    116          110k           09:00
    TheStone     36           110k           09:00
    markshaw77   610          110k           09:20
    CJ           709          110k           09:45
    JG           549          110k           09:45
    Attica       829          110k           09:55
    Amnezia      820          110k           09:55
    gabriel959   660          110k           10.00
    Phreak       787          110k           10.05
    Lbaguley     835          110k           10:05
    Sewinman     838          110k           10:05

Found this over on the Silly Commuter Sportives thread
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:

They might have the route in a gpx file for those with Garmin 705's or similar. No excuses then.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    [

Catford CC member here, any one late for their time slot might have to wait a while for a free space in another timeslot, last year so many people didn't turn up because of the weather that spare slots were available in most groups to afford leniency so don't rely on that or you may be disappointed.

As for signs last year some kids tore some down and repositioned them which caused problems until somebody corrected it, hopefully this year won't suffer that :)

Good luck I'll be marshalling probably with a flag in one hand and a camera in the other.
  • rogsmer
    rogsmer Posts: 22
    Hey guys. i'm doing the 50k at 10:30 and it's my first sportive.
    I was just wondering whether any of you guys on the forum are at the same time stop.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    redvee wrote:
    Attica wrote:

They might have the route in a gpx file for those with Garmin 705's or similar. No excuses then.
    There were gpx files available last year. I assume the same for this. However, the route changed subtlety shortly before the event due to the poor condition of some of the lanes...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Enjoy your first sportive Rogsmer. First hill is about a mile in and is a real short and sharp rip snorter, so get down onto the small chainring in time and don't be put off. Enjoy.
  • I'll be Marshalling at Four Elms where you will alll turn left towards Chiddingstone. :D

Good luck!
  • asjc
    asjc Posts: 103
    Am green with envy-I love this event and have done it for the last few years, great chit chats along the way, always some fast groups to get into and then fall off the back of in my case...My wife is due to give birth on sat. so have got to stay really close to home.
    Enjoy yourselves all-ride safe. adam.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Great to read this thread and see others in the same boat.

I really wanted to beat last years time which fine weather shouldn't have been that hard.

Accident, illnesses and weather have decimated my training.

Was thinking of going for the 50k route but seeing as there are so many others in the same boat I've got soldier around the 110k.

9.25 start for moi.
  • Given the forecast for this week, we'll be lucky to start it at all.

I've made my mind up and unless it is reasonably mild, I won't do it.. and at the moment the weekend looks set for widespread ice... I've finished my fall-off-unharmed bonus for this year! :cry:
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    Given the forecast for this week, we'll be lucky to start it at all.

I've made my mind up and unless it is reasonably mild, I won't do it.. and at the moment the weekend looks set for widespread ice... I've finished my fall-off-unharmed bonus for this year! :cry:

I am starting at 10 so not too worried about ice and it should "warm up" to about 3C during the day.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • attica
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am starting at 10 so not too worried about ice and it should "warm up" to about 3C during the day.

You didn't do it last year then?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Given the forecast for this week, we'll be lucky to start it at all.

If it's been significantly below freezing temperatures overnight, 3 degrees is not enough to melt the ice in shaded areas. Unless it runs completely on gritted roads, you risk it...

This winter, icewise, it's been a massacre in our club, so I'm probably over reactive when it comes to ice... I think I'll give this a miss, especially as I have an 8.30 start
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I'm down for a 10:15 start. It is really cold on the commute in at the moment. Fingers crossed it won't be 'too' cold on Sunday. Last Sunday was ok, a repeat of that would be dandy.

Training hasn't been great over winter but looking forward to dusting away the cobwebs on the first sportive of the year. Can't be worse than last year can it? :lol:
  • hovering around freezing in london, although the sun is out. So what do we reckon?

Good to go, or a good way to meet nurses?

jon
  • phreak
    Good to go I think.
  • I won't even bother to go there.

I did a ride in Central London to stay away from ice and there was ice in London at 2 PM on the side of the roads. I was told by friends that the countryside on the west was off limits this morning, with cars crashing in roads which are usually gritted (not last night, clearly).

Frankly I don't see how this one can go ahead, but you never know, miracles do happen
  • Gazzaputt
    I'm in Bexley and travelling a few miles out this morning there was a lot of ice. Roads are drying out though at the mo.

I'll take a look in the morning and see. Temp could be -7 with wind chill.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    It was -3 at Biggin Hill this morning and a thin covering of snow on the North Downs. Could be very interesting.
  • There was some snow to the west of Ashdown Forest last night but barely a dusting. In parts the roads were very icy where the snow had fallen but they looked okay over the forest at lunchtime. Hopefully with a dry frost (does that make sense?) and no more snow I think the roads will be rideable with care. I'm guessing we will be following the alternative route.

Just checked my kit - I can just manage 3 pairs of socks + 2 overshoes and I managed to squeeze two pairs of gloves underneath my lobsters.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Watch out for potholes guys ... I was out in the car today around Groombridge and Hartfield with my kids - even at 2pm there was ice in the shady places and some monster potholes have appeared in places in the last month. As long as you are looking out, I'm sure you'll be fine. I missed the entry - so will just be out for a training ride tomorrow.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Gazzaputt
    Should I just stay in the warm tomorrow watching the Murray match??? :D
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Should I just stay in the warm tomorrow watching the Murray match??? :D

I will 8)
  • phreak
    I'm going out. Had plenty of time to sit on my bum indoors already this winter. I'm sure if you're careful things will be fine. It'll be cold undoubtably but that's what clothes are for ;)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Was expecting an email or update on the website today. I guess it's happening?
    Does anyone know if they've switched to the alternative route?

Wrap up. As low as -7 (with wind chill) according to metcheck.
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good luck you nutters :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kinda glad it was full up when I tried to book - although doing it would def mean you could add 'hard b@stard' to your palmares
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000