And the hits just keep on coming! 3 more riders positive

12345679»

Comments

• My thinking was a lot of the Spring Classics and Semi-Classics are ridden close together by similar riders so there is a fatigue element, whereas with the Worlds there is a 'rest' period.

That being said, I see your point that most fo the riders in the Worlds are rested and most of the riders in the Classics are somewhat fatigued so it is a level playing field. I guess I could then simply say that you have to have the added quality of recovery.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yeah I knew that, and it's true by the end of especially the cobbled classics, everyone is creamed, and so that is one reason why it's such a big thing to win Paris Roubaix, it's literrally survival of the fittest.

But what makes the Worlds so special is that all the riders are rested, at the top of their form, and ready to race, so they go hell for leather.

P.S. I'm liking this new reverence by the way.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Er... yes? What does the amount of racing either side have to do with anything? A load of riders have just come off the Vuelta, so what?
    It is such an unimportant event, that half the Vuelta field ride two of three weeks, just in preparation.Rather, it makes the Vuelta winner look like a someone chasing the season's scraps.

What other races have their been between the Vuelta and the Worlds?

I'm guessing you are saying they had no other option, but to ride the Vuelta in prep?
    Well, this is another major bone of contension, as we all know; moving one or the other.

However, you skate nibbly past the the logical KO.
    Riders have a choice. Cunego, sat up, while 5th on the Vuelta GC and in his best form since the 2004 Giro. Took an easy stage win and shot off.
    Andy Schleck, one of the best GT riders in the World, trotted around, with Sunday in mind.
    You might not think it prestigious, but they certainly do.

There are no other races in the 3 DAYS between the Vuelta and Worlds.
    There are plenty of 1 HC races, or smaller Tours, in early September.

The World Championship. The only road race, where 76kms of climbing 4,655 vertical metres can get written off as flat.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No I am using your comment to reply to afx, not questionning your comment. The uestion was for afx.

So my opinion isn't valid if it doesn't tie in with a couple or more riders? Sorry, no.

Furthermore, who went all out in the Vuelta for three weeks, won it, and is one of the top favourites for the RR? Valverde, yes. Quality rider. No need to rest. I'm not impressed with a rider like Andy pulling out when he could have been top favourite.

Did I call this years World's flat? No. Maybe go and read over my comments on that front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    "ff" - If it's such an unimportant race, how do you explain the really big smiles on the winners faces? And all the advertisements, that soon follow, for any component / part
    that was used by the winner? And how about those world championship rainbow color's that get integrated into the winners wardrobe the following year? But maybe you're right. Maybe no one cares. Not the riders, sponsors, manufacturers, fans, the whole lot.
  • No I am using your comment to reply to afx, not questionning your comment.
    As I can now see. There were a LOT of comments to read and catch up with.

IMO: If this year' course is as tough as the stats suggest, it's a match for any of the Spring hillies.
    LBL: You have Schleck, Valverde, Cunego etc, always slugging it out. This race should bring the same riders into contension for a very special jersey.

I can honestly say, the RJ looks great hanging on the back of the kitchen door and the media certainly sit up and take notice. (not just an opinion. :wink:)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I can honestly say, the RJ looks great hanging on the back of the kitchen door and the media certainly sit up and take notice. (not just an opinion. :wink:)

Show off. Hers won't fit you mate.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Blazing, my original quote:
    In any case, the World RR is not really prestigious and is more of a sprint. This year is likely to be different thankfully, yet 8 of the last 10 have been won by sprinters. It is not a good guage for GC riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I tend to find the last 2 laps of any Worlds RR are always packed with excitement and can rival the end of Milan San Remo for aggression and attacks.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Show off. Hers won't fit you mate.
    Sssshhhh! :wink:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I tend to find the last 2 laps of any Worlds RR are always packed with excitement and can rival the end of Milan San Remo for aggression and attacks.
    Yup...plus 5 hours of rabbits.

FF: MO bit wasn't a dig or directed at you, in anyway. Just a wishful observation. :wink:
  • dennisn wrote:
    "ff" - If it's such an unimportant race, how do you explain the really big smiles on the winners faces? And all the advertisements, that soon follow, for any component / part
    that was used by the winner? And how about those world championship rainbow color's that get integrated into the winners wardrobe the following year? But maybe you're right. Maybe no one cares. Not the riders, sponsors, manufacturers, fans, the whole lot.

Its funny you say that because I was just thinking back to Bettini's celebrations after the 2006 race, pure class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgGNU0kA ... xt_from=PL
  • thomasmc wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Its funny you say that because I was just thinking back to Bettini's celebrations after the 2006 race, pure class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgGNU0kA ... xt_from=PL

Or here last year in Varese. After Ballan wins the cameras go back to Bettini heading the bunch and just sitting up and celebrating on hearing his team mate has just won. Also, listen to the crowd. It seems to mean a heck of a lot to them as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyccAvImzmA
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens