And the hits just keep on coming! 3 more riders positive

Comments

• Dave_1 wrote:
    and the negative results from hundreds of dope tests in 2009 just keep coming...keep a sense of perspective ffs...some of the contributers are bored by the racing and live for drug scandals IMO

So, what is the appropriate response in the pro racing section of a cycling forum, to 3 riders from a single team, testing positive, at the same time, Dave?

Certainly doesn't seem to be with silence.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Pokerface wrote:
    The ease with which AC rides up hills makes him look superhuman to many.

his timetrialing ability also raises some eyebrows
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    deal wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    The ease with which AC rides up hills makes him look superhuman to many.

his timetrialing ability also raises some eyebrows

I don't buy the drug thing. I take all kinds of drugs and have very little climbing or time trialing ability.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    and the negative results from hundreds of dope tests in 2009 just keep coming...keep a sense of perspective ffs...some of the contributers are bored by the racing and live for drug scandals IMO

So, what is the appropriate response in the pro racing section of a cycling forum, to 3 riders from a single team, testing positive, at the same time, Dave?

Certainly doesn't seem to be with silence.

so what is the appropriate response in the pro race section of a cycling forum to hundreds of riders found negative all season in 2009?.....page 1 of forum crammed with doping debate all year.

Get a sense of perspective and also maybe admit the fact you only come on here for doping chat
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Get a grip Dave, page 1 of the forum currently consists of:

- Numerous Vuelta threads
    - Oscar Freire retirement
    - Wiggins / Sky
    - The 2013 TdF
    - The curse of the rainbow jersey
    - A long thread about transfers
    - Boasson Hagen
    - Numerous Tour of Britain threads
    - PTP
    - The retired pro thread
    - The Columbia train thread

...and about 3 doping threads which are clearly named as such. If you've failed to notice all that, then maybe it's you who only comes on here to click on the doping threads.
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:

- Wiggins / Sky
    - The 2013 TdF
    - Boasson Hagen
    - PTP
    - The retired pro thread

...and about 3 doping threads which are clearly named as such. If you've failed to notice all that, then maybe it's you who only comes on here to click on the doping threads.

you get a grip. the forum is warped , the Pro Race name misleads.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    :roll:

No-one is forcing you to post.
  • afx237vi
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

- Wiggins / Sky
    - The 2013 TdF
    - Boasson Hagen
    - PTP
    - The retired pro thread

So go find another cycling forum where no-one talks about doping, even when doping is in the news. Good luck with that.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    :roll:

No-one is forcing you to post.

true, the forum would be better left to experts like you
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    so what is the appropriate response in the pro race section of a cycling forum to hundreds of riders found negative all season in 2009?.....page 1 of forum crammed with doping debate all year.

Get a sense of perspective and also maybe admit the fact you only come on here for doping chat

I've been "chatting" on the daily Vuelta threads, the transfer thread, the Garmin/Sky/Wiggins thread, etc etc.
    Whereas.......

I'll take your reply to mean you think this story shouldn't be here.
    In which case, I'd say it's you who's lost his sense of perspective, mate, so lighten up.

If your obvious anger were directed at the news, that I could understand.
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

- Wiggins / Sky
    - The 2013 TdF
    - Boasson Hagen
    - PTP
    - The retired pro thread

So go find another cycling forum where no-one talks about doping, even when doping is in the news. Good luck with that.

you go find a doping forum instead, I'll post here...the title of the thread is written as if every test is coming back + when infact it is maybe1 test per hundred this year?
  • afx237vi
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

[you go find a doping forum instead, I'll post here...the title of the thread is written as if the every test is coming back + when infact it is maybe1 test per hundred this year?

You don't think three positives from one team in 1 race is significant enough to comment on? Add in the Ukrainian riders from last week... plus Di Luca, Colom, Pfannberger, L'Hotellerie, Dekker, Astarloza, Hamilton... yeah I dunno why we bother mentioning this stuff, it's clearly not a big problem or anything :roll:

We'll all stop talking about big cycling stories so Dave can talk about Malcolm Elliot or Robert Millar... again.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

I've been "chatting" on the daily Vuelta threads, the transfer thread, the Garmin/Sky/Wiggins thread, etc etc.
    Whereas.......

I'll take your reply to mean you think this story shouldn't be here.
    In which case, I'd say it's you who's lost his sense of perspective, mate, so lighten up.

If your obvious anger were directed at the news, that I could understand.

No great anger and no singling out you blaze-peace :) I meant people collectively might admit they get a buzz when they see new breaking news on doping...that is what turns many on here, no? I objected to the thread title as it implies the list of + tests is endless and that is not true...1 in a 100 or 1 in 200 or 300 +?
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

[you go find a doping forum instead, I'll post here...the title of the thread is written as if the every test is coming back + when infact it is maybe1 test per hundred this year?

You don't think three positives from one team in 1 race is significant enough to comment on? Add in the Ukrainian riders from last week... plus Di Luca, Colom, Pfannberger, L'Hotellerie, Dekker, Astarloza, Hamilton... yeah I dunno why we bother mentioning this stuff, it's clearly not a big problem or anything :roll:

We'll all stop talking about big cycling stories so Dave can talk about Malcolm Elliot or Robert Millar... again.

you name 10 riders or 20 or 30 more but that's dwarfed by hundreds of negatives since the passport and you don't wanna know?
  • afx237vi
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

you name 10 riders or 20 or 30 more but that's dwarfed by hundreds of negatives since the passport and you don't wanna know?

Don't wanna know what? That they're clean? We talk about clean cyclists every day in the dozens of threads that are not about doping. It's funny, but the people who complain about this forum hardly ever post in those threads. Dunno why...
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    No great anger and no singling out you blaze-peace :) I meant people collectively might admit they get a buzz when they see new breaking news on doping...that is what turns many on here, no? I objected to the thread title as it implies the list of + tests is endless and that is not true...1 in a 100 or 1 in 200 or 300 +?

I agree, Dave, that the decimal percentage of positive tests is very small. Sometimes, we do tend to forget that.
    However, by the same token, this is a very large proportion of a single squad, getting caught, at the same event.
    Extremely disappointing news, but news nevertheless, no?

I also agree that the thread title appears somewhat overly tabloid, apparently with excitment, but my guess is meant to convey shock.
    Tabloid thread titles do tend to grab folk's attention, hence their use.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

I agree, Dave, that the decimal percentage of positive tests is very small. Sometimes, we do tend to forget that.
    However, by the same token, this is a very large proportion of a single squad, getting caught, at the same event.
    Extremely disappointing news, but news nevertheless, no?

I also agree that the thread title appears somewhat overly tabloid, apparently with excitment, but my guess is meant to convey shock.
    Tabloid thread titles do tend to grab folk's attention, hence their use.

Not denying it is bad, team wide, Festina style doping, though a small team, small race..

it is fair to say that there are hundreds negative tests for every positive and so there should be hundrerds of threads on races and not many on doping :D

edit-not denying most of the cunts will do anything to cross the line first though..and human nature is not going to change in 10 years and riders have no real bond to a sponsor...only serious concern for their own future, income and what comes after their cycling days are done. LA and co can blabber about 'the team" all they want, but this is an individual sport NOT a team sport
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Pokerface wrote:
    Didn't Contador ride for that team? Or was that a different incarnation?

Did any of these guys ride with him?

Everytime someone mentions this I will mention that so did Vande Velde.

He didn't hang around there, though. One season was enough.
    Unlike the Spanish clique.
    Like it not, there are almost as many Contador connections to doping, as there are for Armstrong.

OP was buried in Spain and exposed elsewhere.
    We now, as a result, have this farcical situation with Valverde.

VDV rode for USP, ONCE and CSC. That is Bruyneel, Sainz and Riis...
    I don't think he is/was doping though, but maybe that's just me.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    And for the record, I do not think a rider is guilty because he was in a team that had a rider who doped - if I thought that then I would have to say I think the vast majority of the pro peloton doped which I don't. If you think that then...

The problem with this is that Bertie has been on teams which have been alleged to have systems in place. And not just in a passing through way, in a full on doing long spells at them way.

I'm a fan of Alberto but I'm also realistic. The system he's come from, the teams he's been on means you have to at least harbour some suspicions.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Riders are expected to be clean. That is what they sign up for, etc.

Therefore, when ANY rider is caught doping - it is news.

It's a little like saying our bosses should all thank us greatly for arriving at work on time every day, but not make a fuss if we fail to show up at all.

Those that break the rules are news. Those that follow the rules are not.

The title of the thread was simply a play on an old expression - and to convey the fact that MORE riders have been caught - just a short time after the last bunch.

I look forward to a day (that will never come) when these stories don't exist because no one is cheating any more.
  • dave_1
    Pokerface wrote:
    Riders are expected to be clean. That is what they sign up for, etc.

Therefore, when ANY rider is caught doping - it is news.

It's a little like saying our bosses should all thank us greatly for arriving at work on time every day, but not make a fuss if we fail to show up at all.

Those that break the rules are news. Those that follow the rules are not.

The title of the thread was simply a play on an old expression - and to convey the fact that MORE riders have been caught - just a short time after the last bunch.

I look forward to a day (that will never come) when these stories don't exist because no one is cheating any more.

...your choice of thread title suggests hundreds are + when the opposite is true , what just keeps coming is negatives for doping
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    your choice of thread title suggests hundreds are + when the opposite is true , what just keeps coming is negatives for doping

Really? Cause out of the two of us, only ONE of us actually WROTE the thread title. So which one of us actually has a better idea what it means?

Or did the part where I said "3 more riders positive" somehow confuse you into thinking I was talking about 3 HUNDRED? :roll:
  • dave_1
    Pokerface wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    your choice of thread title suggests hundreds are + when the opposite is true , what just keeps coming is negatives for doping

Really? Cause out of the two of us, only ONE of us actually WROTE the thread title. So which one of us actually has a better idea what it means?

Or did the part where I said "3 more riders positive" somehow confuse you into thinking I was talking about 3 HUNDRED? :roll:

Really? "the hits just keep coming" eh...hundreds of + dope tests you infer. I think you are confused..hundreds clean for every dirty sample is the fact. Got it??? :roll: :roll: :roll: [/i]
  • iainf72 wrote:
    And for the record, I do not think a rider is guilty because he was in a team that had a rider who doped - if I thought that then I would have to say I think the vast majority of the pro peloton doped which I don't. If you think that then...

The problem with this is that Bertie has been on teams which have been alleged to have systems in place. And not just in a passing through way, in a full on doing long spells at them way.

I'm a fan of Alberto but I'm also realistic. The system he's come from, the teams he's been on means you have to at least harbour some suspicions.

Let me say first off that I am not someone to stare facts or very strong evidence in the face and say I still think you are innocent which many Lance fans seem to do. If concrete evidence comes out against Contador then I will be disappointed but I will not let that detract from the excitement he has provided.

He may have doped in those days, I don't know and I don't think it is productive to suggest he did. If concrete evidence comes out to say so then fine, otherwise I will think he didn't just as I would think the same of any other rider.

For members's info if you didn't know already, Contador rode for:
    Once-Eroski, Once-Eroski, Liberty Seguros, Liberty Seguros-Wurth Team, Astana-Wurth Team, Disco, Astana, Astana.

Additionally, here are a few people who were in the same Once, LG, Wurth teams as Contador (so for two to three years): Barredo, Davis, Heras, Ramirez and LL Sanchez.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I have pinched this post from elsewhere, as I think it is a humorous, but sadly accurate depiction of an aspect of the sport we would all like to see the back of:-
    With this news I can finish the chapter on one of the most amazing stories in modern Pro Cycling - a real eye opener for anyone who has doubts to the corruption and deceit within the sport.

Nuno Ribeiro neo pro with Liberty Seguros Wurth was 'caught' at 52% hct prior to the Giro in May 2005. Saiz was quick to voice his shock saying "all riders had a HCT of 48%".
    Saiz then made a very public announcement 2 weeks later that Ribeiro was sacked by the team! ...(he was in fact moved to the Portuguese team Liberty Seguros - which at the time was the 'feeder' team of LSW).

Exactly a month after Ribeiro was caught - Nozal was 'caught' at the Dauphine, again for 52%. Saiz again said publicly he was shocked and that all his riders had passed the checks performed by the team.

Now Nozal was no Ribeiro- he was 6th in the Vuelta and was Heras key superdomestique - but with the precedent set just 2 weeks earlier surely Saiz had no option but to fire the rider?

Of course not - this is Pro Cycling - Saiz sacked the Doctor!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    "all riders had a HCT of 48%".

Was there really a time that a DS would come out with such an explanation? Nowadays that would set all alarm bells ringing. Four years is a long time, eh.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Frenchfighter, you are Alberto Contador's mother, and I claim my £5.

:wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    calvjones wrote:
    Every time I ask for people to explain what all this 'evidence' against Contador everyone goes quiet.

Maybe you can oblige Blazing?

Um... the team he was on for years was discovered to by systematically doping. His initials and name were on documents that detailed doping doses (c'mon Kleber)
    I missed this whole thread being away for a few days. But since I'm asked...

23667f1c.jpg
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    LiBertie Seguros indeed.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I've seen that before. Want to explain the whole story and why no action was taken?
    Contador is the Greatest