Lance in Glasgow

1234568»

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    It really is amazing how people can infer so much from so little.

I didn't once explicitly say anything about what I thought of Lance going to ride in Scotland and haven't even said anything about Lance that could be considered with the adjectives some of you people are using.

That some of you are getting so worked up is laughable.

I suggest you re-read my posts and then come and tell me I went at Lance's idea.

Truly unbelievable.

In fact I would go as far as to say that the 'Pro Lance' members should be the ones being held in check for some of the hate they attempt to pour. I do not use any form of rude comment or word against any other member which is more than can be said for a lot of people on this forum. Read the posts to see what was said - idiot, muppet....

And especially for the Stegosaurus:
    rockmount wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ... but, I'm off. I don't have an irrational fear of Lance, I'm not obsessed with dope, and doping ... I just want to ride my bikes, go to races, watch them on tv, and have adult conversation about bikes, and cycling ... there is no place here for me ..

BYE.

You still here.
    Case in point. I think I will leave this thread now as it is making me cringe.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267

Hi there.

I know I said I wasn't gonna post in here... but I'll not talk about Lance...

Tak me Doon is on one of my commute routes - rode it 3 times this week, got soaked every time. It takes just under 14 minutes to climb the steep side (the way the guy on the mtb went down in the video), but is much longer and gentler from the North.

The road is usally completely empty at 8am when I ride over in the mornings and you can really fly down without the neds bothering you. There was a fatal crash just at the point where you met the guys in the Fiesta a couple of years ago - car overshot the bend, hit a tree, burst into flames, fiery death and all that nasty stuff.

The only profile I can find is this one, which is a training loop from my house - Earls Hill, Tak Me Doon, Crow Road then Earl's Hill again:

EarlsHillTakMeDoonCrowRoadEarlsHill.jpg

Cheers, Andy

I'm not sure whether to be impressed, scared or jealous with that being a commute! I've never descended the Tak Ma Doon & don't actually trust my bike handling enough & 14 mins to climb it? You might be a wee bit fitter than me....

The main issue I've had on that road is the traffic, so going through at a quiet time must be fantastic (other than the rain, of course).

(& as an aside, it'd be a really bad thing if you stop posting here, Andrew. I always enjoy reading your posts. Things have been a bit strange for some time here, but the more decent posters who leave, the worse it gets. Can I encourage you to reconsider?)

& Paul, the Tak Ma Doon is a lot harder than Glennifer Braes, but really worth the effort. Andrew's profile covers a lot of it, but the Crow Road, Carron Valley & Tak Ma Doon makes a lovely loop...
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    & Paul, the Tak Ma Doon is a lot harder than Glennifer Braes, but really worth the effort. Andrew's profile covers a lot of it, but the Crow Road, Carron Valley & Tak Ma Doon makes a lovely loop...

Oh no, I can appreciate that. What I meant was that Tak Ma Doon doesn't look totally out of my depth. At my current level, I'd struggle up a long alpine climb- but a couple of km at avg 9 or 10% gradient at the moment for me is no problem.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Scottish roads with my bike. Lance's ride has made me raring to get back to the Scottish roads- I can't wait! Only 4 weeks now :)

And I'm definitely heading in the direction of Rest and Be Thankful this year- not much of a climb I'm told, but still a fair distance out-and-back from my Glasgow base. Oh lord, I'm excited! :D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Richrd2205 wrote:

Spot on there with that comment , i can do a 60 miler from home with those two hills included a hard day in the saddle but well worth the effort as Tak and Crow are probably the best two hills in Central Scotland imo.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • paulcuthbert
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Richrd2205 wrote:

Spot on there with that comment , i can do a 60 miler from home with those two hills included a hard day in the saddle but well worth the effort as Tak and Crow are probably the best two hills in Central Scotland imo.

You're not helping me be calm about returning.... :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:
    As to 'not being a legend'. So what? I am already so happy with my life that becoming 'a legend' would add nothing of any real value to it, nor is my self-esteem in need of a boost.

And yet - you spend countless hours on an internet forum debating the merits of going riding with a pro cyclist, instead of actually out riding your bike. Or doing something....well doing ANYTHING else really.

If that's what you call a "full life", I'll take my low self-esteem and a bike ride any day!

I dislike people making judgements about people on internet forums as you really have no idea about them.

The last time someone made a judgement about another member, it turned out that member was unable to ride due to a disability. Incidentally he is a knowledgable member and a true fan.

For all you know, BB could be a Cat2 racer. For all we know you could weigh 100kg and go backwards going up a 4% slope.

Why come on here and make a comment about BB...is it because you cannot debate the points he is making so need to divert the issue at hand.

No - I choose NOT to debate BB's points. Because it is futile and a waste of time.

And for the record, I'm 86kg, go backwards on ANY slope, am missing one leg and registered disabled, and a Cat 3 racer.

Now I'm off to bed as I have a 55 mile road race tomorrow.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267

Oh no, I can appreciate that. What I meant was that Tak Ma Doon doesn't look totally out of my depth. At my current level, I'd struggle up a long alpine climb- but a couple of km at avg 9 or 10% gradient at the moment for me is no problem.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Scottish roads with my bike. Lance's ride has made me raring to get back to the Scottish roads- I can't wait! Only 4 weeks now :)

And I'm definitely heading in the direction of Rest and Be Thankful this year- not much of a climb I'm told, but still a fair distance out-and-back from my Glasgow base. Oh lord, I'm excited! :D

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your ability: I hope I didn't sound rude.
    The Tak Ma Doon is difficult because it's hard to find a rhythm. My mapping software tells me it's 4.2km @ 6% average, but there are flats, false flats, downhills & sections above 13%. I looked at the profile before riding it the first time & utterly underestimated it. Prepared & fit, it's stunning. Under prepared & it hurts you (well, it hurt me...)
    Rest & Be Thankful is the opposite: constant gradient, get into a rhythm & your done in no time. The countryside beyond R&BT is amazing though...
    moraygub wrote:
    Absolutely! (I'd also add in Redstane Rigg, but that's a wee bit far & almost on the East coast.)
    That loop is to die for! I'm moving Westwards soon & it'll be hard to reach that route. That's my biggest regret about moving...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tak ma Doon from Kilsyth is a good climb...personally i reckon Crow Road from Lennoxtown the tougher....its more relentless...its funny reading who won the first 'tour of the campsies'....guess who?...a certain Robert Millar....but allround great tough cycling routes from there...Central Scotand has some great tough cycling...where I live its Cairnpapple & Beecraigs...very tough routes can be obtained from the knowledgeable....and theres belter tough routes in the Lammermuirs east of Edinburgh....

I would have loved lance to experience my nemesis...the horrible Kingscavle climb just outside Linlithgow...my personal 'hate' climb....aint it just great that a legend has experienced a local 'killer'?....

Good stuff!
  • paulcuthbert
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Iaint it just great that a legend has experienced a local 'killer'?....

Good stuff!

Are you talking about Lance or Robert Millar?
  • paulcuthbert
    Richrd2205 wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your ability: I hope I didn't sound rude.
    The Tak Ma Doon is difficult because it's hard to find a rhythm. My mapping software tells me it's 4.2km @ 6% average, but there are flats, false flats, downhills & sections above 13%. I looked at the profile before riding it the first time & utterly underestimated it. Prepared & fit, it's stunning. Under prepared & it hurts you (well, it hurt me...)
    Rest & Be Thankful is the opposite: constant gradient, get into a rhythm & your done in no time. The countryside beyond R&BT is amazing though...

I know, I love the scenery around R&BT and Inveraray.
    Haha, not to worry. It wasn't rude. Tak Ma Doon sounds an awful like a liittle mountain near my home in Ireland called Slieve Croob. What Mont Ventoux is to Provence, Slieve Croob is to County Down- sticks up apparently out of nowhere, but is grouped with the Mourne Mountains (more lovely climbing there, and more steady than Slieve Croob). Like you say, flats, false flats- and Slieve Croob has an absolute killer of a 17% section that goes on for a kilometre and is straight, so you can see nothing but the wall! My tyres aren't great and the slick road was wet today. Add onto that a blustery headwind... I got off and walked up that bit, and got back on when it calmed down to a nice 6% again! Descent is lovely- one of the smoothest roads in Ireland (not common!). Although it was blustery and pissing it down this morning, I loved it. One of my most fun days on a bike ever this morning!

I'd love that climb to be in the Tour of Ireland. I think it has been when it visited the North before, but not this year. I think even Lance might have trouble on it! I know I do... :)
  • paulcuthbert
    Moray Gub wrote:

And I don't think anything you can say will make me doubt my inspiration.

Again, sorry to disappoint :)

Paul you have clearly a passion for cycling and Lance in particular what and who you take inspiration from is for you and you alone to decide. I dont get why certain posters need to pour scorn or tell others who they can and cannot take inspiration from. A few weeks back a poster even declared that cancer sufferers taking inspiration from Lance was the wrong thing to do...............go figure.

Thanks! Missed this the first time around :)