Lance in Glasgow

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    deejay wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

C'mon, be honest. Tell us how you REALLY feel.

It's just got worse since 1994 when I listened to the sprog.
    I felt 1999 was as big a joke as that of 1996 (Riis). :arrow:

Edit -- When they repeat the joke another 6 times it rather goes Stale.

Got a few Lance "issue's" I see? Chill out. It's not worth worrying about. As has been said more than a few times on this forum "Life's to short". Way to short.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    deejay wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Wow, this whole subject has gone into the Twilight Zone or the toilet. Can't quite make up my mind. What's left of it.

It is an open forum and what the hell am I reading and then doing a post on a pharmstrong thread. ??????
    Well the thread starts getting longer and I can't help myself but have a look.
    Wow what a great chap, it really is good of him to ride in Glasgow, I feel privileged to ride the same roads as he, and so on, and on.
    This Private club of buddies is like a Red rag to the Bull and like most things in life then there are always opposites (even Gravity has an opposite and I know, it hurts) and with this open forum it will show.
    Those of us who have No respect for the Fraudster and those who Idolise him cannot discuss him without the other saying their piece.

He comes back after 3 years (just when we had got him out of our system and moved on) and he knows how much controvesy there will be and for whose benifit but his own self and like all Conmen he feeds of the Mugs and the Gullible.
    There must be a plan and it's not cycling or cancer awareness. ???? But we shall find out one day.

AndyP,Iainf72,Mr Turnbull...I've seen your posts over the years...i know how you feel about certain pro's...but I also know your not spiteful gits....and have a more 'open' opinion....and you all hold a certain air of decency...

But this nasty lot are something else....the above post is incredible.....so ugly in its nature....mr 'no Blue in a England flag'?...mugs & the gullible.....who do you think you are to categorise all LA admirers in such a manner?....Reading that disgusting post I could actually feel your anger...

Well done nasty lads...you've probably repelled another good few dozen from this forum.....
  • Lads in case you've forgotten LA is nolonger in Paisley Scotland. He is actually in Waterford Ireland :roll:
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    This thread has descended into insanity.

Anyone sensible, if they like or dislike Armstrong will see his twitter ride as a nice gesture to his fans. I'd rather eat my own hair than ride with Lance but if you're a fan it must be great. And there's nothing wrong with being a fan and getting excited at the thought of riding with someone you admire.

Here speaketh the truth.

Frenchfighter and aurelio - Seriously, I respect your views, and agree with most of them, but sometimes you need to know when to back down. You don't need to go into overdrive every time you-know-who's name is mentioned. This thread is not even explicitly about Lance Armstrong, it's about a group of people who had the opportunity to ride with him, and chose to do so. They enjoyed the experience, so good for them. No harm done.

So some people also made statements you think are false. Does it matter? I'd say not, because you obviously know that disagreeing with them in your usual style is 100% guaranteed to start an argument in what had, until then, been a friendly thread. That just p-sses people off. Number 1 rule on any internet forum should always be don't crap in other people's thread.

You want to argue about Armstrong? Fine, do it in the "Lance Haters" thread. People who click on that know what to expect. People who click on this thread should be allowed to talk about the ride in Glasgow without being harangued.
  • dennisn
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Wow, this whole subject has gone into the Twilight Zone or the toilet. Can't quite make up my mind. What's left of it.

It is an open forum and what the hell am I reading and then doing a post on a pharmstrong thread. ??????
    Well the thread starts getting longer and I can't help myself but have a look.
    Wow what a great chap, it really is good of him to ride in Glasgow, I feel privileged to ride the same roads as he, and so on, and on.
    This Private club of buddies is like a Red rag to the Bull and like most things in life then there are always opposites (even Gravity has an opposite and I know, it hurts) and with this open forum it will show.
    Those of us who have No respect for the Fraudster and those who Idolise him cannot discuss him without the other saying their piece.

He comes back after 3 years (just when we had got him out of our system and moved on) and he knows how much controvesy there will be and for whose benifit but his own self and like all Conmen he feeds of the Mugs and the Gullible.
    There must be a plan and it's not cycling or cancer awareness. ???? But we shall find out one day.

AndyP,Iainf72,Mr Turnbull...I've seen your posts over the years...i know how you feel about certain pro's...but I also know your not spiteful gits....and have a more 'open' opinion....and you all hold a certain air of decency...

But this nasty lot are something else....the above post is incredible.....so ugly in its nature....mr 'no Blue in a England flag'?...mugs & the gullible.....who do you think you are to categorise all LA admirers in such a manner?....Reading that disgusting post I could actually feel your anger...

Well done nasty lads...you've probably repelled another good few dozen from this forum.....

I'm with you on this. I just can't picture myself being as "distraught" over any cyclist, or any sports figure or celeb, for that matter, as some of the people on this forum. They are either trolls or people really obsessed with someone they feel "done them wrong". I don't understand it. There are people out there that I don't care for but to let it get to me like that
    is not something I understand. I know people can carry grudges for long periods of time, but it's usually about someone you know(brother, sister, boss). Not some distant figure
    you've never seen, talked to, or even been near(politicians and lawyers not included).
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Anyone sensible, if they like or dislike Armstrong will see his twitter ride as a nice gesture to his fans. I'd rather eat my own hair than ride with Lance but if you're a fan it must be great. And there's nothing wrong with being a fan and getting excited at the thought of riding with someone you admire.

Here speaketh the truth.

Frenchfighter and aurelio - Seriously, I respect your views, and agree with most of them, but sometimes you need to know when to back down. You don't need to go into overdrive every time you-know-who's name is mentioned. This thread is not even explicitly about Lance Armstrong, it's about a group of people who had the opportunity to ride with him, and chose to do so. They enjoyed the experience, so good for them. No harm done.

So some people also made statements you think are false. Does it matter? I'd say not, because you obviously know that disagreeing with them in your usual style is 100% guaranteed to start an argument in what had, until then, been a friendly thread. That just p-sses people off. Number 1 rule on any internet forum should always be don't crap in other people's thread.

You want to argue about Armstrong? Fine, do it in the "Lance Haters" thread. People who click on that know what to expect. People who click on this thread should be allowed to talk about the ride in Glasgow without being harangued.

+1
  • dennisn
    Arkibal wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Here speaketh the truth.

+1

+2 You're right and I am just a guilty as the rest of them. My comments belong in the "haters" column. Although I can't work up anywhere near the rage some of them do.
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Think I'll stick to the road beginners forum, I am clearly not knowledgeable enough to be here.

I'm not a member of a club, I enjoy going out on some rides with some friends on my entry level road bike and continually trying to improve. I take my inspiration from many sources, people like armstrong being one of them.

It made me feel good to meet armstrong and to ride with him, and judging by the turnout there were many that felt the same.

Thanks to the idiots that decided to piss on my parade.

Bye bye
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    dennisn wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Here speaketh the truth.

+1

+2 You're right and I am just a guilty as the rest of them. My comments belong in the "haters" column. Although I can't work up anywhere near the rage some of them do.

+3. I only descended from the original topic when the subject- and clearly one I admire a lot- came under fire- for no apparent reason apart from someone elses distaste to my views.

So I apologise in part for diverting attention from the original topic. But I do not apologise for being a Lance fan through and through. I think his Paisley ride was glorious- even though I was away from the town I loved so much and would give anything to have been there. Such is life :)
  • paulcuthbert
    mikeq wrote:
    Think I'll stick to the road beginners forum, I am clearly not knowledgeable enough to be here.

I'm not a member of a club, I enjoy going out on some rides with some friends on my entry level road bike and continually trying to improve. I take my inspiration from many sources, people like armstrong being one of them.

It made me feel good to meet armstrong and to ride with him, and judging by the turnout there were many that felt the same.

Thanks to the idiots that decided to wee-wee on my parade.

Bye bye

+1

Well said.

You're a very lucky cyclist. I envy you :) and I think we're from the same camp- not experts, but just in it for the love of pedalling. It's as good a reason as any- if not the best
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Lance is so gaaaay
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    mikeq wrote:

Bye bye

+1

Well said.

You're a very lucky cyclist. I envy you :) and I think we're from the same camp- not experts, but just in it for the love of pedalling. It's as good a reason as any- if not the best

Well said indeed.

It's hardly surprising this thread, with it's initial positive tone, has been hijacked and dragged down simply because it mentions LA. Hardly surprising, but still a shame.
  • paulcuthbert
    Monkeypump wrote:
    mikeq wrote:

Bye bye

+1

Well said.

Well said indeed.

It's hardly surprising this thread, with it's initial positive tone, has been hijacked and dragged down simply because it mentions LA. Hardly surprising, but still a shame.

Hopefully people can let bygones be bygones now...

I'd still love to hear more accounts from the day- and any pictures and videos that people may have :)
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    markwalker wrote:
    Lance is so gaaaay
    Rouler. Not Climber

...are you a Bay City Rouler ??

...at least he can spell ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Here speaketh the truth.

Thanks afx for a succinct response.
    This isn't a thread about whether Lance is good or bad (BB, can you please read some Nieztche? You appear to have missed some fundamentals in your response to this thread (& PM me or start another thread if you want to respond to this, please))
    This is not a thread about absolute morality.
    This is not a thread about "true champions."

Those threads are elsewhere & have been somewhat overdone recently.

I'm no fan of Lance at all

I respect that he took a ride out on roads I love.

I chose not to go.

I have no issue at all with folk who did.

WTF is the argument?
    Every time LA comes up on a thread, it gets dragged to the same place &, just now, far more people ae leaving than are being persuaded & that's just stupid.....
  • paulcuthbert
    Richrd2205 wrote:

I totally agree. People were asking "Why Paisley?". Only cyclists who know the area could answer with "Cos it's THE place for good riding within any sort of radius of Glasgow". Some cracking rides around Paisley, both leaving from and travelling through.

None of them are on the CTC Routes database. I think we should talk about some and submit a fair few!
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    rockmount wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    Lance is so gaaaay
    Rouler. Not Climber

...are you a Bay City Rouler ??

...at least he can spell ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dude im a lover not a rouleeeeeeer
    but even so Lance is so Gay its effort (apparently)
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 wrote:

I totally agree. People were asking "Why Paisley?". Only cyclists who know the area could answer with "Cos it's THE place for good riding within any sort of radius of Glasgow". Some cracking rides around Paisley, both leaving from and travelling through.

None of them are on the CTC Routes database. I think we should talk about some and submit a fair few!
    Well, the Tak Ma Doon might be far better than anything local to Paisley :wink:

My first big hill climb when I moved up North was Glennifer Braes: I love the Paisley roads....

Paul, you & I would disagree about Lance, but agree completely about this thread. I'm so proud seeing roads I rode every day on the news. I'm proud of Paisley & I'm more than happy for a famous cyclist to take out a ride & let some folk have fun (this ride is 6* bigger than the biggest Glasgow CM).
    I'm massively proud that I'm a fan of a sport where this stuff can happen.
    I'm sorry you missed it.

(I'm moving back out West soon, PM me if you want a riding partner on those roads, I'd appreciate the company!)
  • paulcuthbert
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    Well, the Tak Ma Doon might be far better than anything local to Paisley :wink:

My first big hill climb when I moved up North was Glennifer Braes: I love the Paisley roads....

Paul, you & I would disagree about Lance, but agree completely about this thread. I'm so proud seeing roads I rode every day on the news. I'm proud of Paisley & I'm more than happy for a famous cyclist to take out a ride & let some folk have fun (this ride is 6* bigger than the biggest Glasgow CM).
    I'm massively proud that I'm a fan of a sport where this stuff can happen.
    I'm sorry you missed it.

(I'm moving back out West soon, PM me if you want a riding partner on those roads, I'd appreciate the company!)

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the Tak Ma Doon? And also... Glasgow CM? Sorry :?

I'm not a Paisley "buddie". But I love this town. I moved there when I was 18- still a kid! So I guess it's where I've done most of my growing up. I was a boy. This town made me a man. I've learned a lot from it. It'll be forever with me- whether I'm living there or not. So I totally empathise with your views on the town and the roads we love :) and Glennifer Braes (you talking about the climb up to the "Car Park in the Sky"?) was my first taste of climbing on my road bike too. I love that road!

Glennifer Braes:
    3254_74333788694_548863694_1638428_3169158_n.jpg
    (I've lost quite a few kgs since this picture- my first ride on my new Trek 1.2 after I got it in April)

I'll be living in the city centre of Glasgow from next month (damn!), but I'm thinking Paisley and the Braes will still be my riding turf. So yeah, a riding partner would be good :) I'm also thinking of doing a few rides with Johnstone Wheelers, because I think it'd be good to join a club. Never done club riding before, but I'd like to try it. But of course, a riding partner would be a great idea :)

ps. I think the exposure given by Lance's Twitter ride can only be a good thing for Paisley. Nevermind it being a PR stunt for Lance, he might have inadvertantly put Paisley on the map! :D
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    And another one in agreement - wouldn't be my cup of tea, but hijacking a thread where fans are sharing experiences of a specific event (a nice gesture, regardless of how you view the motivation) is very different to arguing whether Armstrong did or didn't dope. Let the fans enjoy their moment and the gesture. Those of us who are critics should choose our battles wisely and this isn't one of them.
  • Richrd2205

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the Tak Ma Doon? And also... Glasgow CM? Sorry :?

I'm not a Paisley "buddie". But I love this town. I moved there when I was 18- still a kid! So I guess it's where I've done most of my growing up. I was a boy. This town made me a man. I've learned a lot from it. It'll be forever with me- whether I'm living there or not. So I totally empathise with your views on the town and the roads we love :) and Glennifer Braes (you talking about the climb up to the "Car Park in the Sky"?) was my first taste of climbing on my road bike too. I love that road!

I'll be living in the city centre of Glasgow from next month (damn!), but I'm thinking Paisley and the Braes will still be my riding turf. So yeah, a riding partner would be good :) I'm also thinking of doing a few rides with Johnstone Wheelers, because I think it'd be good to join a club. Never done club riding before, but I'd like to try it. But of course, a riding partner would be a great idea :)

ps. I think the exposure given by Lance's Twitter ride can only be a good thing for Paisley. Nevermind it being a PR stunt for Lance, he might have inadvertantly put Paisley on the map! :D

The Tak Ma Doon is a fantastic climb out of Kilsyth, there's a crap video of someone going down it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD0lqFXiHg
    Glasgow CM is Critical Mass & the only time you'd normally see a bunch of folk riding together (obviously, there's the Sky ride tomorrow).

Yes, I was talking about the car park in the sky & it was the first proper climb I did after moving up North from a very flat part of the country & went on to Irvine & then back up through Dalry & Lochwinnich. The weather was awful, as ever, but the roads were stunning
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Lance signing a poster for Graham Obree - Classic!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24zFbRENfU
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It really is amazing how people can infer so much from so little.

I didn't once explicitly say anything about what I thought of Lance going to ride in Scotland and haven't even said anything about Lance that could be considered with the adjectives some of you people are using.

That some of you are getting so worked up is laughable.

I suggest you re-read my posts and then come and tell me I went at Lance's idea.

Truly unbelievable.

In fact I would go as far as to say that the 'Pro Lance' members should be the ones being held in check for some of the hate they attempt to pour. I do not use any form of rude comment or word against any other member which is more than can be said for a lot of people on this forum. Read the posts to see what was said - idiot, muppet....

And especially for the Stegosaurus:
    rockmount wrote:
    Thanks for the advice ... but, I'm off. I don't have an irrational fear of Lance, I'm not obsessed with dope, and doping ... I just want to ride my bikes, go to races, watch them on tv, and have adult conversation about bikes, and cycling ... there is no place here for me ..

BYE.

You still here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Lance signing a poster for Graham Obree - Classic!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24zFbRENfU
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Richrd2205 wrote:

The Tak Ma Doon is a fantastic climb out of Kilsyth, there's a crap video of someone going down it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD0lqFXiHg
    Glasgow CM is Critical Mass & the only time you'd normally see a bunch of folk riding together (obviously, there's the Sky ride tomorrow).

Yes, I was talking about the car park in the sky & it was the first proper climb I did after moving up North from a very flat part of the country & went on to Irvine & then back up through Dalry & Lochwinnich. The weather was awful, as ever, but the roads were stunning

Hi there.

I know I said I wasn't gonna post in here... but I'll not talk about Lance...

Tak me Doon is on one of my commute routes - rode it 3 times this week, got soaked every time. It takes just under 14 minutes to climb the steep side (the way the guy on the mtb went down in the video), but is much longer and gentler from the North.

The road is usally completely empty at 8am when I ride over in the mornings and you can really fly down without the neds bothering you. There was a fatal crash just at the point where you met the guys in the Fiesta a couple of years ago - car overshot the bend, hit a tree, burst into flames, fiery death and all that nasty stuff.

The only profile I can find is this one, which is a training loop from my house - Earls Hill, Tak Me Doon, Crow Road then Earl's Hill again:

EarlsHillTakMeDoonCrowRoadEarlsHill.jpg

Cheers, Andy
  • paulcuthbert
    Richrd2205 wrote:

The Glennifer Braes are stunning when the weather is good. I had lots of good days for it in April and May- like the picture showed :)

Tak Ma Doon looks good. It could be handy for me living in Glasgow next year. Had a look at the profile on mapmyride.com and it doesn't look too threatening at all. It's about the same length as a regular climb I do here in Ireland, but not as steep- so I should manage it. Definitely will give it a try when I return.

Still can't believe Lance was on these roads. It's amazing. And I'm really looking forward to hitting the Glennifer Braes again. After that climb up to the top you just open up and rocket along the flat part. One of my favourite ever roads! Love it
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    mikeq wrote:

Bye bye

+1

Well said.

I wouldn't worry about it. Armstrong made a nice gesture that 'ordinary' people were able to take advantage of. You got to do it whilst a lot of people on here were sat at their computers running the event down instead of riding their bikes or reading the catalogues dreaming about what they'd like to ride if only they could get away from the computer.
    M.Rushton
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    mrushton wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Armstrong made a nice gesture that 'ordinary' people were able to take advantage of. You got to do it whilst a lot of people on here were sat at their computers running the event down instead of riding their bikes or reading the catalogues dreaming about what they'd like to ride if only they could get away from the computer.

I said my piece earlier, but to be fair, there's no need for this kind of sniping either. What I said works both ways.

Focus on the topic, not the other users of the forum.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    You still here.
    Yeah still here ... steal any good photos lately ? :lol:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I'm slightly scared of saying anything in case I restart any debate, so I'll just say looks like a great ride.
    300 people in 1 place riding at the same time- awesome :)

And perhaps some people need to get less angry about things. It's like watching people on Big Brother fighting.

Amusing but in a slightly *so much for humanity* depressing way.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson