Lance in Glasgow

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Hope he`s not seen the weather forecast for tomo - ride at 12 noon according to
a link via Braveheart website on his twitter.

Now were is my Contador Banner 8)

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Would you believe this is the first I've heard of it, Gazzetta? And I waste all this time on the interweb following cycling.

Let me think- a boring day at work of 'in-service training' or travelling to the dear green place to watch Armstrong in the pouring rain.

Funny how attractive those annual fire lectures now appear.......

Can I join you with a 'Alberto is the Greatest' banner?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I live in Glasgow 9 months of the year, and he decides to go there for a ride when I'm in Belfast. Typical!

I'm gutted :( it'd be my dream to ride with the greatest :(
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I live in Glasgow 9 months of the year, and he decides to go there for a ride when I'm in Belfast. Typical!

I'm gutted :( it'd be my dream to ride with the greatest :(

I don't think Eddy Merckx will be there, anyway, so no great loss.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Eddy Merckx isn't riding though...
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh...

Seconds ahead of me!
  • paulcuthbert
    Ok then, greatest in my opinion. Lance is my hero!

Damn
  • Tusher
    That's ok, paulcuthbert- none of us are perfect.

Here's a nice cup of tea for you................(why are there no emoticons of nice cups of tea??)

PS Not that I'm suggesting it, of course, but don't you have a very sick grandmother in Glasgow and you MUST get to Glasgow asap to be with her? I'm sure your work would understand.
  • paulcuthbert
    I don't have a job- thus I don't have a lot of money. Plus, I checked and the earliest ferry from Belfast tomorrow is full up, so I've really no chance!

Funny you should mention it, because I already have plans to visit my Grandfather who is in hospital because of his prostate cancer- so I guess I'll just have to cycle there instead!

Thanks for the tea- it always helps :)
  • Anonymous
    They approve!!!

GOATS.jpg
  • Tusher
    Best wishes to your grandfather, Paul.

Credit card? Flight???

No-one I know has mentioned the Lance in Glasgow thing at all. Is it just me? Will it be well-attended?
  • paulcuthbert
    I think it was only announced on Twitter a few hours ago. I don't think it's linked to anything- he's just doing a ride as far as I know. It's not a Livestrong Challenge thing or anything.

It would be attended by me. If I could.

And I'm a student I don't have a job- so of course I don't have a credit card! Haha
  • paulcuthbert
    OMG!!! It's in Paisley. Paisley is where I live. Glasgow was bad for a ride when I'm in Ireland. Paisley is just rubbing salt into the wound.

I'm devastated! :(:(:(
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ok then, greatest in my opinion.
    He's the second ranked US rider this year as Tyler Farrar is better placed on the UCI rankings, so you're not missing much really :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    He's the second ranked US rider this year as Tyler Farrar is better placed on the UCI rankings, so you're not missing much really :wink:

That's because Tyler has won a race with UCI points attached to it.

:wink:

I think it's quite nice Lance has invited people to ride with him. Bit human and good for the fans.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    iainf72 wrote:

I think it's quite nice Lance has invited people to ride with him. Bit human and good for the fans.

Me too - I hope it's big and it does lots for cycling in paisley

(It would also raise a smile if it stopped traffic - but thats just me)
  • What's he charging, this time?
    Maybe, he could pick up a bit part, as a corpse in Taggart.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    He's a bit crazy IMO, I can see some fanboi riding too close and knocking him off...
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    And Cav is in Edinburgh today as well.
    What have we done to deserve such attention - pity about the weather !!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Paul - if you hang tight in Belfast - Eddie Izzard is running over there in a few days - he's running round the UK - 26.2 miles a day - 6 days a week. Amaaazing.

Pop out and run with him for a bit - he's a lovely chap. Not as good on a bike as Lance - but far funnier.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Going to be a bit damp - it's not very nice just now.

Wonder what has happened as 300 people have turned up. Can't see the local plod being too happy with that number. Can't think of many roads in the Paisley area that will take that sort of number.

Not a Lance fan at all, but had I known about this earlier, I might have taken the day off to go along and see what it was like.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    claudb wrote:
    And Cav is in Edinburgh today as well.

be still my beating heart...
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Good god, I was born and raised in Paisley.....................that man must be braver than i thought riding a top of the range bike round there......................if he stops for long it'll be stripped faster than skint hooker...................
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    How many times has LA visited the UK?

Maybe this is his "Elvis" moment :-)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DaveyL wrote:
    How many times has LA visited the UK?

Maybe this is his "Elvis" moment :-)

He was around for the glory days of the Wincanton Classic (aka Leeds Classic). I think he had some good results too.

I remember seeing him in the flesh at the Tour de France in Portsmouth (easy to spot in the rainbow jersey)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • paulcuthbert
    IanLD wrote:
    Going to be a bit damp - it's not very nice just now.

Wonder what has happened as 300 people have turned up. Can't see the local plod being too happy with that number. Can't think of many roads in the Paisley area that will take that sort of number.

Not a Lance fan at all, but had I known about this earlier, I might have taken the day off to go along and see what it was like.

He could head south over the Glennifer Braes- good quiet, wide roads out that way. That's the direction I always headed on my rides. But he's not in charge of the ride- says on Twitter that he's following.

And I prefer riding in the wet. It's easier, considering I share my time between Scotland/Ireland!

All of my friends have been sending me photos and putting things on Facebook about him today. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! :(
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    100's of people including Mr Obree according to LA.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Not quite as scenic as the Alps I'd imagine! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 207007.stm
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    iainf72 wrote:
    100's of people including Mr Obree according to LA.
    Local news says around 300.

If I'd heard about this yesterday it'd have been 300 and 1. :(
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    OK, regardless of what you (or I) think of him, it's a pretty cool thing to do. There aren't many other sports where something like that could happen.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 207007.stm

Next time he should head over to the Campsies and drop by Big Al`s for Tea :lol: