Riding Mates around Manchester about 16

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Can't make wed or thursday, but nowt wrong with riding in the rain - we'll be under trees anyhow...

Liking the new avatar jay. cough ** Buy Whyte **cough

:lol:
    too expensive.
    i know there is nothing wrong but just basically saying that you should bring a coat
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    A coat?

Never! :lol:

Should be good fun, hope its not too wet, and the jumps are rideable.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jay12
    Whytepeak wrote:
    A coat?

Never! :lol:

Should be good fun, hope its not too wet, and the jumps are rideable.
    light rain is fine.
  • Whytepeak
    Couple of other people may be coming - the more the merrier an' all that :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jay12
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Couple of other people may be coming - the more the merrier an' all that :D
    yeah but then we need to go in 2 groups for the train. which means the first group has to wait 1 hour
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    naaa no prob with trains
    we all get 1017 from picadilly, we will be on it first and you are only going 2 stops jay and it won't be busy at that time
  • jay12
    yeah true. it will be better if we go on the older train as there is more space for bikes. last time i went on one of those, lots of space
  • compo
    older train???
    they are all products of the late 80s from British Rail Engineering Limited at York
  • compo
    on Friday - along with a coat - I would recommend a light /torch or whatever you have.
    If we have another mechanical *cough* jay *cough* then we might be out longer than planned and it gets dark at 5 nowadays so it will be tight
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    older train???
    they are all products of the late 80s from British Rail Engineering Limited at York
    thay are older!! they are bit different and have graffiti, holes in seats and they stink too and are of poorer quality
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    on Friday - along with a coat - I would recommend a light /torch or whatever you have.
    If we have another mechanical *cough* jay *cough* then we might be out longer than planned and it gets dark at 5 nowadays so it will be tight
    kk :lol: nothing should happen this time. just bad luck when i came with you
  • compo
    some of the trains have been refurbished - some have just been left to rot and die :lol:
  • jay12
    compo wrote:
    some of the trains have been refurbished - some have just been left to rot and die :lol:
    haha but they still use them and want us to die
  • compo
    the best ones are the ones where they have to kick the door to get it shut and then there is a gap between it and the outside so you can literally see the tracks lol

and not through the windows - through a hole :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Clue is in the name - Bikeradar.

Fridat should be good fun :D Probably get some pics up aswell.
  • jay12
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Clue is in the name - Bikeradar.

Fridat should be good fun :D Probably get some pics up aswell.
    i'll take the camera and 10 spare batteries :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Tomorrow should be good - no idea how many people are coming, and when we are going, though may I suggesy we leave to get there earlier, so we can get more riding in, especially now its getting dark earlier.

More details up tonight. :D
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Am I alright to ride up to Walkden and get on the train there?
  • Whytepeak
    If you want to stealthy, then I don't see why not :)

Train wise, its either the 9:17 or the 10:17 to delamere :D
  • compo
    Its definately the 10:17 from Manc to Delamere
    0911 from Walkden

otherwise its summat like 7:30 from walkden to get the 0917 from Manc
  • compo
    CHANGE OF PLAN!!!

we are getting this train:
    Daisy Hill: 0823
    Walkden: 0835

0917 train from Manc Pic

Greenbank:1017

Is this ok everyone?
    Txt either me or Tom if not or fb/BR
  • StealTheR
    I'll be at Walkden train station for quater past 8. While the BMX bandits grill me about my bike.
  • Whytepeak
    StealTheR

:lol:

OK see you there, ready to wrestle our way onto the train...
  • StealTheR
    lol. Who's coming do you know?
  • Whytepeak
    Not at the moment, :lol:

Jay, compo, you an me.

We might meet others there, i'll talk to them tonight.
  • Whytepeak
    edited November 2009
    Well Delamere was great (once again), only four of us went this time, due to Jamazin being at Dalbeattie (lucky Jaz). We somehow managed to pick a day of unseasnally good weather. :D, it was drysabone all day... a pleasant change from past experiences of delamere.

With the sun on our backs, we set off with a 'straight up warm up' style climb on to the top of Old Pale. The views from the top were great, though you'll have to believe my description of the trees below us, just turning, and the horizon fading away into an autumnal morning mist, as I forgot to take a pic... :oops:

With the climb behind us, a long decent into the heart of the forest was a due reward. (thanks for another great route Jay :D ).

Then it was onto the 4x track, which was in good condition, and we all had a trundle around it, with varying style :wink: .

There are lots of mini dh runs at delamere, which reminded us how fun sessioning can be for the best part of the morning.

img0469e.jpg
    Seans photography skills never cease to astound me :roll:

img0467d.jpg
    Nice pedals :lol:

Once we'd left our tracks in the dirt, it was time to head for lunch, the visitor centre was packed with walkers and families temped out by the sun, so many people in fact, that we were lucky to find a table...

After lunch, we went and found a tempting bit of singletrack, which we launched ourselves down, ending up in a recently felled hollow in the landscape, which was nick-named Nagasaki, due to a striking resemblence to the aftermath of an atomic bomb... :roll:
    'I see a clear way through', was the last thing Sean said before dissapearing into the undergrowth :lol: . Never argue with a pricky bush with a casual attitude to seed dispersal :lol:

All in all, a great day, I'm already looking forward to the next visit, and Jay is already mapping out a new route, which I'm sure will be as good as the the last.

We'll we'll be organising more rides soon, at Lee Quarry, at Delamere and rivington Pike... aswell as local rides around the manchester area (everyone is welcome! :D ) - the continous search for riding spots has shifted up a gear...
  • jay12
    great story :D
    i'm still working on the route though :)
  • Whytepeak
    Get to it Jay :)

There may be be a few more of us next time... Jack, Ben ect....

Hopefully I'll have a new truvativ hussefelt stem aswell - the tioga one is on its last legs :(
  • Ever thought of getting a job in journalism? :D

I definitely like the sounds of Rivington Pike, some nice routes up there.
  • Whytepeak
    Yep, lots up rivi, theres a good route to be had by linking it up with the trails at Healey Nab, though that would require an early start or some lights :)

Sure Delcol would be all too happy to come aswell, I'll give him a buzz...