Stage 16 - Martigny > Bourg St Maurice SPOILER

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cavendish's group is home in 27 minutes. 160 riders so far...

Hutarovich is in that group... well, everyone is. With Voigt out, and no abandons... it's just Kenny

Home in 34 minutes :lol: Loads of time to spare!
  • afx237vi wrote:

Where are you getting the results from? The official site always seems to take an hour or so before it's updated.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Hutarovich is in that group... well, everyone is. With Voigt out, and no abandons... it's just Kenny

Home in 34 minutes :lol: Loads of time to spare!

Another try tomorrow. I wonder what part of the route he's done on his own today....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

Where are you getting the results from? The official site always seems to take an hour or so before it's updated.

Strange, because I use letour.fr - the results are updated virtually straight away. Are you looking at the French or English version?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    CONGRATULATIONS ASTARLOZA

That is his first win EVER

Interesting stage today and I enjoyed watching it all. Great work by Pellizotti.

Jurgen should get a special mention as he looked great on the last climb. They should never have left him in the TTT. Given Evan's poor day today, maybe they need to concentrate on him.

Lance's move was very impressive. According to C. Vasseur (who was doing rtbf commentary this week and who rode with Lance), this move shows that he is certainly on form. More importantly though, he said it was tactical/psychological on his part - for Saxo to think he is dropped for him to then come storming back would break their moral.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Strange, because I use letour.fr - the results are updated virtually straight away. Are you looking at the French or English version?

Ah.. I was using the English version. Just looked at the French version and all the results from today's stage are there. Thanks.
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

All 4 language versions are updated within a minute or so of riders coming in, all at the same time. What happens with me is that in internet explorer they don't refresh; I have to open a new window for 'fresh' updates
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Do you think Astarloza was happy about his win?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I must be honest, I expect nothing from the favourite's today.
    So, apart from Jen's horrendous crash, a pleasant surprise.
    On the up? Wiggo and Nibs, I would say.
    On the down? Armstrong and Kreuziger
    Bubbling under? Andreas Freiburg
    Out of the blue? Chris Le Merv
    Mr Elastic? Carlos "Mean Hombre" Sastre
    Down and out? Cuddles Evans
    Out and out? Dennis "Clinicless" Menchov

Those last 2 climbs, tomorrow, total 17kms of 8.7% average and should see some major "sinkings".
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

Those last 2 climbs, tomorrow, total 17kms of 8.7% average and should see some major "sinkings".
    Why Armstrong on the way down? I got the impression from the velonews text coverage that he was stronger than yesterday, responding to the Schleck's attacks successfully.

Woeful day for Evans.

Wiggo continues to amaze. Awesome.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    "I have to open a new window for 'fresh' updates"

Press Ctrl + F5 (It refreshes the page bypassing the browser's cached copy)

• FJS
    edeverett wrote:
    "I have to open a new window for 'fresh' updates"

Press Ctrl + F5 (It refreshes the page bypassing the browser's cached copy)
    Cheers :D
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Blazing --

Armstrong was good today.

And, I'm not a fan. In fact, I would be described as a Lance hater.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Fantastic ride from Lance....if anything, getting stronger!! The biggest surprise for me? The modfather! :shock: I'd like to know what he's on! Call me cynical but the guy's hanging with some elite climbers, uncharacteristically (my thats a big word!)
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2009
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Why Armstrong on the way down? I got the impression from the velonews text coverage that he was stronger than yesterday, responding to the Schleck's attacks successfully.

Depends on how you looked at it. Armstrong struggled and was gapped by 30 seconds when the pressure was put on by the Schlecks after the original Saxo Bank domestique train run out of steam. The only riders who could follow were Contador, Wiggins, Nibali and Kloden.

Armstrong looked impressive when bridging up later on a flatter section but was soon followed by the likes of Kirchen, Van de Velde and a host of others suggesting that the pace of the front six may have slackened off.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    Call me cynical but the guy's hanging with some elite climbers, uncharacteristically (my thats a big word!)
    ...Elite climbers who were doing speculative rather than conclusive attacks.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Armstrong looked impressive when bridging up later but was soon followed by the likes of Kirchen, Van de Velde and a host of others suggesting that the pace of the front six may have slackened off.
    And the gradient. Can't see him doing that so successfully on the steeper slope's of tomorrow's final climbs.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2009
    Armstrong looked impressive when bridging up later but was soon followed by the likes of Kirchen, Van de Velde and a host of others suggesting that the pace of the front six may have slackened off.
    And the gradient. Can't see him doing that so successfully on the steeper slope's of tomorrow's final climbs.

Had just finished editing my post to add the bit about the gradient where Armstrong made the bridge to find you had beaten me to the punch!

Like you say, let's see what he's like tomorrow on the steeper late climbs. There is no way he would have let the six go, and by the time he arrived Wiggins was almost freewheeling across the road with one hand on the handlebars taking in the views down the valley.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2009

That was my impression and the fact that the gradient wasn't excessive.

Initially, it did look impressive, but then, up came Kirchen and CVdV.

I just look at tomorrow's finishing climbs, which are much more like Sunday's.
    Double the Verbier distance and slightly steeper.
    That's when I expect him to drop off the attacks and struggle.

Exactly. There's a lot of straw clutching going on by LA's deluded minions.
    Tomorrow, he's toast.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 wrote:

Depends on how you looked at it. Armstrong struggled and was gapped by 30 seconds when the pressure was put on by the Schlecks after the original Saxo Bank domestique train run out of steam. The only riders who could follow were Contador, Wiggins, Nibali and Kloden.

Armstrong looked impressive when bridging up later on a flatter section but was soon followed by the likes of Kirchen, Van de Velde and a host of others suggesting that the pace of the front six may have slackened off.

I see, thanks for explaining. Look forward to seeing it on the highlights tonight.
    There's only so much you can take from a text feed.
  • Armstrong looked impressive when bridging up later but was soon followed by the likes of Kirchen, Van de Velde and a host of others suggesting that the pace of the front six may have slackened off.

An alternative run of events could have been that the Schlecks went out at too hard, at a pace that they couldn't sustain (clearly this was the case with Frank as he was off the back at the time Armstrong was coming across). So it may not be a case of slacked off, it might just be that they couldn't handle it any longer, and Contador didn't have much incentive to ride on. Just because you can sprint off on a climb does not make you the best rider. If everyone eventually catches you up then the reality is that you are only as good as those who finish along side you.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874

Tomorrow, he's toast.

the gradient eased up and he was smart not to over extend himself...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Stuey01 wrote:
    [
    Depends on how you looked at it. Armstrong struggled and was gapped by 30 seconds .

nobody has ever been gapped for any amount of time...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Tomorrow, he's toast.

I thought he was supposed to be toast today. Tomorrow for sure, huh? If not then, maybe day after?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Stuey01 wrote:

Woeful day for Evans.

Wiggo continues to amaze. Awesome.

No - the Schlecks/AC/BW dropped Lance and put 30 secs into him - then they gave up, and eventually Lance got the 30 secs back and rejoined the GC group with people like Zabriske (thats how much AS AC etc slowed).
  • Stuey01
    dennisn wrote:

I thought he was supposed to be toast today. Tomorrow for sure, huh? If not then, maybe day after?
    :lol:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 wrote:
    [
    Depends on how you looked at it. Armstrong struggled and was gapped by 30 seconds .

nobody has ever been gapped for any amount of time...

If you are going to quote, please do it accurately, I did not write what you have attributed to me.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Call me cynical but the guy's hanging with some elite climbers, uncharacteristically (my thats a big word!)

Agreed Comm - they were definately speculative attacks.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2009
    dennisn wrote:

So, where is the quote for that, Dennis? Should be simple to find.....
    Then again, if it was never said.
    Stop WUMing for the sake of it.
    If he is toast tomorrow, are you going to apologise for being a tool, or go on vacation for a few days?
    I will applaud his performance, if same time, demain, he's still on the podium elect.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    As Vasseur said this is likely tactical on Lance's part.

Other cases is simply he is not one to respond to acceleration like Sastre.

What you miss is the way that A. he was the instigator of the move to rejoin. B. he was the first to rejoin. C. he rejoined fast - climbing out the saddle well. D. he rejoined solo whereas the others rejoined in a group.

One of the Schlecks should have gone again, although I tihnk tomorrow is a better day for an substantial attack. Even Wiggins maybe as he looked VERY comfortable.
    Contador is the Greatest