Stage 16 - Martigny > Bourg St Maurice SPOILER

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    At start of stage, I'm sure most thought that GC favs would all come in together.

Added bonus for Wiggins that Sastre / Cadel are no longer any threat to him.

If Brad can just get through tomorrow's stage; who knows where he'll finish; podium is very realistic.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    At start of stage, I'm sure most thought that GC favs would all come in together.

If Brad can just get through tomorrow's stage; who knows where he'll finish; podium is very realistic.

Yes, we'll have to see how he does tomorrow and the Ventoux. I'm hoping for Saxo attacks, though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Kléber wrote:
    Voigt taken to hospital.

Damn, in some repects he is the cyclists Tour rider
    M.Rushton
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    mrushton wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Voigt taken to hospital.

WTF does that mean? :?:
  • SpaceJunk
    LOL; Astarloza an experienced rider. Only ever won the one race - the TDU overall (not even a stage)

Wonder how this would rank on his palmeres?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If you don't know, you don't know. It's a pro thing :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    edited July 2009
    Astarloza's first ever stage victory!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    will3 wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Voigt taken to hospital.

WTF does that mean? :?:

he's just always there. he's won stages, wore the yellow jersey, dragged the other riders around,got eliminated on time, crashed out but is always there.
    M.Rushton
  • Mettan
    Congrats to Astraloza - great celebrations.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Sastre got back to the yellow group according to velonews
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • SpaceJunk
    Mettan wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Yes, we'll have to see how he does tomorrow and the Ventoux. I'm hoping for Saxo attacks, though.

Well done Sastre to get back.

I'm hoping Saxo Bank can try something tomorrow as well. There should be more time gaps between the favs.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    edited July 2009
    Cadel way down, 3 mins ish lost.

Update: 3:55 lost for Cadel
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Looked like an Astana was tailed off at the end - who was it??
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Cadel is so completely finished it's crazy. What's going on with him? Is it mental or physical?
  • Mettan
    How did Kloden look today ?? - he's doing alright.
  • SpaceJunk
    Looked like an Astana was tailed off at the end - who was it??

Do you mean Dave Z??

I saw three Astana riders in group.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Now the wait to see if Kenny makes it... from what I can figure out from the rulebook on the Tour website, the time cut today is 17 percent. I make that to be 43 minutes. C'mon Kenny!
  • afx237vi
    Armstrong was 12th, in the group... Dave Z was tailed off.
  • SpaceJunk
    donrhummy wrote:
    Cadel is so completely finished it's crazy. What's going on with him? Is it mental or physical?

Not sure - I reckon more mental though.

Our local paper here in Australia had some Cadel quotes after Sunday's stage, where he spoke about a bad day at the tour.

Someone asked him; what you ill.

He said, no its a politics thing.

What does that mean??

Did anyone else read those comments.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Zabriskie finished 15 seconds back on the yellow jersey group. Le Mevel made it back to the yellow jersey group and moves up to 7th i think
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Apparently Van Hummel's in trouble today.

Voigt looks to have hit a bump in the road just as he was breaking. Apparently he's got some brain trauma. Get well soon Jens.
  • Nocentini and Martin both drop out of the top 10.

Hincapie and Evans both slide down and maybe also Monfort?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Z probably sat up at the end after, as JV said on Twitter, pulling a minute out of the lead group single-handedly. I guess he was riding to distance Evans and any others caught behind.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Jeez. Thoughts with Voigt and his family - hope he pulls through OK.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SpaceJunk
    Here's the quotes made by Cadel:
    Evans also hinted at discontent within his own team after Monday’s fifteenth stage, which Evans labeled the worst of his Tour de France career.

Asked after the race if he was ill, he said: "No, it's politics ... stress."

While he didn’t elaborate at the time, Evans told McGrory that his pre-race efforts to motivate his team had been unsuccessful.

“I made many suggestions, and voiced many opinions. Not much happened.”

Despite being Silence-Lotto’s team leader, Evans said the direction of the team is out of his control

“When it’s the whole team, I can say my suggestions and voice my opinion, but it’s the team direction and management that have to take the whole team together and take them out of their normal race programs.

“Go do a team time trial training camp or whatever. That I can’t organise”

Here's the link:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,20797,25812981-23210,00.html?from=public_rss
  • SpaceJunk
    Friggin' Aussie TV.

Spent more time talking about LA's career, how marvellous he is.

Pellizotti just came up for most aggressive rider award; they didnt't even know who he is.
  • SpaceJunk
    CN's report on Jens:
    Okay, we got word on Jens Voigt's condition - he's got injuries to his head, face and shoulders, and is being taken to hospital. However he never lost consciousness. We hope he has a speedy recovery.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    missed opportunity
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    Cavendish's group is home in 27 minutes. 160 riders so far...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cavendish's group is home in 27 minutes. 160 riders so far...

Hutarovich is in that group... well, everyone is. With Voigt out, and no abandons... it's just Kenny