Stage 15 Pontarlier - Vebier *spoiler*

Comments

• drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    Really deep Zipp wheel

is it DIS-approved by UCI/tour de France or just not APproved yet?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    drumon wrote:
    Really deep Zipp wheel

is it DIS-approved by UCI/tour de France or just not APproved yet?

UCI are fine with it but the CTT aren't
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Coriander wrote:
    Is there anything to be read into Contador not having his earpiece in for most of his attack at the end? I didn't notice when it came out.

About 2 clicks from the top he ripped it out of his ear. Had enough of listening to the hog at that point I suppose.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Great interview with Wegelius.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Adieu wrote:
    Problem is, Contador is just Armstrong mark II. We're gonna have another 7 years of knowing who's going to win before the tour starts.

EDIT: Also could Wiggins make up 1:40 in the time trial on Contador and get yellow? :O

The TT is only 40 km, so I'd say 1'40" is too much. Plus, y'know, Contador beat Wiggins in Monaco... he's no slouch in a TT.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    After today - Will Lance ride next year ?
  • Finishes like today really make me wish that I could still believe in the authenticity the sport. :cry:
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Timoid. wrote:
    Great interview with Wegelius.

It was. "We've got 60million possible GC contenders in the UK, we just need them to start riding bikes instead of playing football"
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Adieu wrote:
    Problem is, Contador is just Armstrong mark II. We're gonna have another 7 years of knowing who's going to win before the tour starts.

I don't agree. When Lance ruled the world, there was only one other rider as talented as him was Ullrich but he was only PHYSICALLY talented and was missing that mental component to be a dominator. Today i think there are a lot of riders who will be able to compete with Contador in the years to come. Andy Schleck of course being one of them. And I think that Lance's team tended to be stronger/smarter than every other team by a LOT. Contador's team going forward is unlikely to have that same advantage. Especially if the rumors of him joining that new team Spanish F1-funded are true.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Richardson - "Sergei Ivanov said 'Moscow' to the breakaway and went 'Russian' to the finish!
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Adieu wrote:

Don't worry, David Millar just said Wiggo might beat Contador this year. :lol:
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Mettan
    Stupid question - Has Brad ever climbed as well as this?
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Will Hincapie moan again?
  • afx237vi
    Mettan wrote:
    Stupid question - Has Brad ever climbed as well as this?

Simple answer - no.
  • Mettan
    Cav, Tyler and Thor finished yet ? - tough day for those guys.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    failstrong
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    Mettan wrote:
    Cav, Tyler and Thor finished yet ? - tough day for those guys.

Van Hummel the last man in some 45 minutes down - clearly dedicated to the Lanterne Rouge
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    THAT'S dedication! Even putting out rumours he'd withdrawn. Huta must be gutted
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Van Hummel retired
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Great ride by Nocentini and Haussler up there, too.
    The forums will be alive, tonight....or should that read tonite? :lol:
    Hell the old fart still manages to get into second Wiggo third. :shock:

that guy is going to drift out the back repeatedly until no ones notices... like every other old b@gger living in some deranged fantasy world...

god I enjoyed that stage

no team was going to allow astana to ride that climb tempo... Garmin LIQ and Saxo turned up the heat...

that guy was going to get a kicking because he was due it......

and everybody was up for it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    WHO IS THE BEST?

My out and out favourite from years has done what he always does and showed everyone up with his legs.

The best in the World and more for the people who doubted him for a second even and thought Lance could come close.

He is the most exciting GC contender by a long way. If the others need to earn some respectg and some time then they better sort themselves out and attach from deep. They will never beat him up a mountain

Now Astana better ride totally for Contador.

And what about Kloden and Lance chassing down Contador? Superb tactics that.

Respect to Andy for launching his attack and hanging on for a good margin. Respect to Frank for lighting it up once then attacking again when he knew the others were fried. Respect to Wiggins for a superb performance (the rtbf were VERY puzzled by him, yet it doesn't take a genius to see that he has a pure climbers physique and has got serious power. IMO, he never really thought about GC or even considered it). Respect to Sastre for being well out of it and making up some serious time.

As for Wiggins putting time into Contador in the TT, IMO Contador will put time into Wiggins or at least be very close to him. Contador is not the Spanish TT champion for no reason.

I would also like to point out that Contador attacked with 5km to go and he managed to put 40-100 secs into top GC riders. Although great, it is not the performance of a doper, who with 5km would have put multiple minutes in.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    it looked like Kloden didnt know what to do, one minute helping lance, then leaving him, and then helping again, and then leaving him at the finish. It was almost like he was getting two sets of orders, one from Armstrong and one from Bryneel :lol:
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    So, anyone still bored?!
  • frenchfighter
    I feel sorry for people who are bored. All I can say is go and watch cricket.

Complaints come when nothing happens then complaints come when they do. Bizzare.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    I feel sorry for people who are bored. All I can say is go and watch cricket.

Complaints come when nothing happens then complaints come when they do. Bizzare.

Well... seeing the Australians getting pasted is always fun too :wink:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Lets give props to Sastre too. Didn't panic at the bottom when dropped. Worked his way back up and then joined the Wiggo group. Good ride...
  • Mettan
    Today's winning move - go to 7:27 mins to see Contador take off with A Schleck in chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD9EDyOqQsM

Commentary in Dutch.
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Van Hummel retired

Nah, according to the TDF site HERE

he came in 45:43 down for the day :? :?
  • Liggett and Sherwin were hilarious today. Few years back they were quite happily criticising T-Mobile whenever Ullrich/Kloeden were chasing after their teammate Vino when he'd made an attack. Today they were reduced to marvelling at how amazing Armstrong was riding when he's so close to getting a pension and he's not seen a bike for so long(!) :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Good interview. Note the last point.

Q - Avez-vous imposé aujourd'hui la loi du plus fort?
    R - "C'est aux journalistes de rédiger les titres. Moi,
    aujourd'hui, j'ai fait ce que je devais faire. Je suis content
    d'avoir gagné ce maillot jaune en course, contrairement à 2007 où je
    l'avais pris à la suite du départ de Rasmussen (soupçonné de dopage
    et exclu par sa propre équipe)."

Q - Comment avez-vous pris la décision d'attaquer, à plus de
    cinq km du sommet?
    R - "Initialement, je pensais attaquer à trois ou quatre
    kilomètres de l'arrivée, mais les Saxo Bank ont fait un gros travail
    dès le pied de l'ascension. Quand j'ai regardé le groupe, j'ai vu
    qu'il ne restait plus que quatre ou cinq coureurs. Alors j'ai décidé
    d'attaquer plus tôt que ce que j'avais prévu."

Q - Est-ce que le Tour est d'ores et déjà joué?
    N - "Non, bien sûr que non. On a évidement fait un très grand
    pas en avant, mais le plus dur, ce sera la dernière semaine. Je
    m'attends à des attaques des coureurs qui ont été très forts
    aujourd'hui."

Q - Qu'avez-vous ressenti au moment où vous avez lâché
    Armstrong, septuple vainqueur du Tour de France?
    R - "J'ai grandi en regardant Armstrong gagner. Il a été mon
    idole, mais aujourd'hui, l'avoir lâché n'est pas le plus important
    pour moi. Il est un rival comme les autres. J'avais pensé faire ça,
    je l'ai fait. C'est tout. Mais c'est un grand honneur de l'entendre
    dire qu'il va travailler pour moi maintenant. Lance est un grand
    professionnel. Maintenant, tout le monde dans l'équipe doit
    travailler pour défendre ma position."

Q - Est-ce que cette victoire et ce maillot jaune sont une
    libération pour vous?
    R - "Oui. J'avais besoin que cette étape arrive, parce que j'ai
    passé des journées pas faciles, et j'avais vraiment besoin d'une
    étape comme celle-là."

Q - Est-ce que ce jour a été le plus beau de votre vie?
    R - "Non. Le jour le plus heureux de ma vie, c'est un jour de
    2005, quand j'ai repris la compétition après mon opération de 2004
    (d'un oedème cérébral), où j'ai failli perdre la vie."
    Contador is the Greatest