Stage 8 spoiler

12346»

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Coriander wrote:
    Sorry, am obvioulsy having an extra thick day, but...

If he wasn't go to do any work because his team mate was in yellow, why did he bother going with them? And sorry, but why does his team mate being in yellow make any difference - did he not want the breakaway to go too fast and risk taking the yellow from Neocentini?

Also, why 'police' the group? To what end?

By going in the group and then not doing any work - well, if the breakaway succeeds, he is probably the freshest of four and good chance of stage win.

In reality he isn't there to 'protect' the yellow for his team mate. It's just a luxury he is afforded because his team mate leads race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Every win is dedicated to his eldest brother who was killed in a quad bike accident. He won last year's stage 7.

Reuters.

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SpaceJunk
    DaveyL wrote:
    LLS

One of my favourite riders. Very pleased with him. So glad Efimkin didn't win as he did only 6% on the front (LLS the most at 45%). I know his teammate is in yellow but even so.

I called LLS at the start so am very happy about that too.

Andy looks super smooth.

How many favourite riders do you have? The peloton minus Armstrong?

FFS
  • argh Bob Roll *vomits*
  • SpaceJunk
    Cadel didn't get most combative rider ??? :wink:
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    A good finish, I though Efimkin had it there when the other didn't go after him straight away.
    Well done LL.Sanchez did the sprint pretty smart.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Well done to Brice Feillu - he finished in the lead group today. Not bad after his big effort yesterday :D
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    What a smart rider Sanchez is! That finish was simply ace. Not a joule spent in vain, bluffed his way out of chasing to perfection. So nice.

Coriander, "policing a move" is not so much about keeping them from doing anything (true interference will make you lots of enemies) rather than keeping the options open. If the move succeeds, you have a guy in there. He has an excuse for not working, so he doesn't. A thing that is often forgotten is that the team radios go both ways. A guy in the front group will see how the other breakaways are going much better than the DS on the TV in the car. He will see who could pose threats and relay the information back. I'm sure Efimkin called back to say Sanchez looked really good, and then got the call to try a move. It's more like having a scout, who can go on the offensive if necessary.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    Cavendish is at risk of being outside the time limit!! He's still not in!

DO you know what the limit is? I understand the stage was run ahead of schedule; that will help out Cav - it makes the time limit larger (I think??)

No, that has no effect. Instead it's a % of the time it took for the winner on the stage, but adjusted for stage length:

I believe this is considered a mountain stage.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/p ... on-24.html
    For flat stages the scale goes from:

5% for less than a 34km/h average
    6% for a 34-35km/h average
    7% for a 36-37km/h average
    8% for a 38-39km/h average
    9% for a 40-41km/h average
    10% for a 42-43km/h average
    11% for a 44-45km/h average
    12% for a 46km/h average or greater

For rolling stages the scale goes from:

6% for less than a 31km/h average
    7% for a 31km/h average
    8% for a 32km/h average
    9% for a 33km/h average
    10% for a 34km/h average
    11% for a 35km/h average
    12% for a 36km/h average
    13% for a 37km/h average or greater

For mountain stages the scale goes from:

6% for less than a 26km/h average
    7% for a 26km/h average
    8% for a 27km/h average
    9% for a 28km/h average
    10% for a 29km/h average
    11% for a 30km/h average
    12% for a 31km/h average
    13% for a 32km/h average
    14% for a 33km/h average
    15% for a 34km/h average
    16% for a 35km/h average or greater
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DL - to have one favourite out of all the hundreds of riders is a little silly. My out and out favourite is Contador but I have favourites for other types of races. I like people who inspire me, LLS and Contador do that. They have panache, quality, style and nice characters not to mention results. Incidentally, they are both great friends - even their girlfriends get on well.

Furthermore for LLS, he only started riding to accompany his father on his rides who was the victim of a bomb attack by Basque seperatists and was advised by his doctor to ride. You see that, I know exactly why my favourites are my favourites.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SpaceJunk
    donrhummy wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    Cavendish is at risk of being outside the time limit!! He's still not in!

DO you know what the limit is? I understand the stage was run ahead of schedule; that will help out Cav - it makes the time limit larger (I think??)

No, that has no effect. Instead it's a % of the time it took for the winner on the stage, but adjusted for stage length:

I believe this is considered a mountain stage.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/p ... on-24.html
    For flat stages the scale goes from:

5% for less than a 34km/h average
    6% for a 34-35km/h average
    7% for a 36-37km/h average
    8% for a 38-39km/h average
    9% for a 40-41km/h average
    10% for a 42-43km/h average
    11% for a 44-45km/h average
    12% for a 46km/h average or greater

For rolling stages the scale goes from:

6% for less than a 31km/h average
    7% for a 31km/h average
    8% for a 32km/h average
    9% for a 33km/h average
    10% for a 34km/h average
    11% for a 35km/h average
    12% for a 36km/h average
    13% for a 37km/h average or greater

For mountain stages the scale goes from:

6% for less than a 26km/h average
    7% for a 26km/h average
    8% for a 27km/h average
    9% for a 28km/h average
    10% for a 29km/h average
    11% for a 30km/h average
    12% for a 31km/h average
    13% for a 32km/h average
    14% for a 33km/h average
    15% for a 34km/h average
    16% for a 35km/h average or greater

Sorry - my previous post was confusing - by me saying ahead of schedule, I meant that the ave speed would be highler (since schedules are based on these).

So thanks, you answered my question; today's stage was quick; it was considered mountain stage, and Cav has made it home; within time limit.

But thanks for the info!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Don't you just love that little Arvesen dig when Armstrong was catting on the front of the group? We'll be seeing that replay for the next two weeks, I think. Saxo really took the gloves off in the fight with Astana, today. They barely tickled them, but they tried to hit.
  • SpaceJunk
    Good night all!
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    Saxo Bank's tactics so deliberately peverse, that Bruyneel will lose 10 minutes sleep, tonight, thinking about their cunning plans. :roll:
    Reminds me off the time Voight was called back from a break to chase Ullrichs attack.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    aarw wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

I remember reading several months ago in (ahem) Cycle Sport mag, an interview they had with some Pommie pro rider (maybe someone can remind me - though 95% sure it WASN'T Wiggins, maybe Geraint Thomas?)

Anyway, he was on a weight-loss diet where he rode for 4 + hours on 2 x short blacks and 1/2 an energy bar.

His diet supposedly helped him lose several kilos off his whole body without losing too much power (but now more watts per kg now).

I think it was (but I could be wrong) that it was Steve Cummings who was trying to lose his track bulk. Seemed a rather dangerous way to do it IMHO.
    Don't why anyone was surprised that Thor got in that break 1) he's gone up the front in breaks in the Tour before 2) He can descend like a stone - he had the yellow jersey last year(?) in Paris Nice and went flying downhill to catch a break.

BTW did any one else think when Cancellara was descending at the back of the group if was about to send up in someone's kitchen - the door was open"
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    drenkrom wrote:
    Coriander, "policing a move" is not so much about keeping them from doing anything (true interference will make you lots of enemies) rather than keeping the options open. If the move succeeds, you have a guy in there. He has an excuse for not working, so he doesn't.

If the move fails, or just because you can, you also have another guy who's not done a whole lot of work able to drop back and help the yellow jersey if he runs into trouble behind, whereas the guy if he just stayed with the yellow jersey would probably have got dropped with big attaks on the mountains, but was able to climb at a more even pace in the break and therefore still be available.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    DL - are we only allowed one favourite each? Some of us appreciate the abilities a number of riders, unlike the fanboys.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Certainly not - it was intended as a wry dig at FF as he seems to have started several posts recently with "Rider X is my favourite rider".

I recall the Saturday music columns of Billy Sloan in the Daily Record, when every week he would pronounce the latest gig he'd been to at the SECC as "the best gig I've ever seen"...
    Le Blaireau (1)