Stage 8 spoiler

Cumulonimbus
Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Another day in the Pyrenees. Any tired legs out there will receive a rude awakening in the morning as they head straight up a first cat climb. Its not that steep (5%) but it is long (23km). There is then a descent of 60kms before a second cat and first cat climb are reached. However, these again are not that steep in terms of Tour climbs. From the top of the first cat its about 45kms of downhill to the finish.

We could see quite a bit of attacking on the 2nd and 1st cat climbs but they arent that steep and anyone wanting to try that tactic may want to try it tomorrow over the more promising terrain of the Aspin and Tourmalet, although there is a longer run-in tomorrow. It being this early in the tour i imagine that a large group will reach the finish together. Will Nocentini be there? He must be tired after yesterday's stage. Ag2r will be all out in support of him to try and help him get back onto the favourites' group if/when he gets dropped. His chances will probably depend on how hard the favourites are racing.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    agritubel have to cover the polka dot if they want to keep it and AG2r could pull a coup if they could get Roche into a break and flip the jersey

even if roche fails they don't have to work
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I can see a few fast finishers in the peloton at the end. Maybe not Cav and Boonen et al, but the likes of Freire, Hushovd, Pozzato could get back on by the end. I remember a similar stage in 2003 which Hamilton won and Erik Zabel won the sprint for second.
  • adeyboy
    adeyboy Posts: 113
    I'm not that experienced in following top class cycling, but am a little dissapointed that there are not more mountain top finishes. Am I wrong? I guess descending is as much a part of being a top rider, and top climber, but the suimmit finishes seem to produce the real moments of history.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ag2r's Riblon says he's going for the KoM jersey. I like his attitude, he's announced it direct and he's confident. Whether he can deliver is another matter but he's one of new generation of French riders who aren't out-psyched by the doping around them.

Very hard to pick someone for PTP today! I fancy someone like Federigo, Pauriol, Trofimov or Dessel but you never know, a bit of a lottery and the success of a break will depend who's in the move, whether the right teams are represented and what threat the escaped riders pose to the GC.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon someone like Chavanel or even Millar could be in with a shout today
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Comparing 2009 to previous years... 2009 2008 2007 2006
    Flat Stages 10 10 11 9
    Medium Mountain Stages 1 4 1 4
    Mountain Stages 7 5 6 5
    # of Categorized Climbs (Cat 2, 1 and HC) 20 19 21 22
    Mountaintop Finishes 3 4 3 3
    Total Individual Time Trial Distance 55k 82k 117k 116k
    Overall Distance 3435k 3554k 3547k 3657k

I am hoping for a GC contendor or few trying a long range attack but I doubt that will happen. Failing that I would like to see a LLS attack in the last 10-20k just like his hero Jalabert.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Highlights of yesterday set to music - very well done:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgATLQxqORU&eurl=
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2009
    Start is at 11.30 and earliest live video should be about 12.30.

PROFIL.gif

On the Barcelona stage, the commentators for rtbf read out a fairly long quote from Salvador Dali about cycling and specifically the Tour. If anyone knows it or has a link to the text of it could you post it, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Good lord, Duffers is back...
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Start is at 11.30 and earliest live video should be about 12.30.

PROFIL.gif

On the Barcelona stage, the commentators for rtbf read out a fairly long quote from Salvador Dali about cycling and specifically the Tour. If anyone knows it or has a link to the text of it could you post it, thanks.

stage start on France 2 now :-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And Eurosport HD...
  • emadden
    do all you guys watch the stage with a laptop next to you? I started doing this - pretty cool way to share info and comments
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    lots of attacking from the start.... high speed on this initial climb.... I think a group will go clear for 3/4 of this stage

poor guys are going out the back already and the stage is only 5km old

3 euskatelis in the first 5 man break... wow.. ten dam trying to bridge
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks emadden - now watching it on rtbf. I guess 12.30 is for feeds online...

Beppu is out the back already! I thought they had a lot of mountains in Japan : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Anyone got a decent feed? Thanks
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    emadden wrote:
    do all you guys watch the stage with a laptop next to you? I started doing this - pretty cool way to share info and comments

I do. I took like sharing.

It's amazing how sometimes you might miss something that happens in a stage; or something throws a different light on developments.

It's a great way of following a cycling race.

And there are generally some really good comments made in these threads (as well as some bizarre rants too might I add).
  • frenchfighter
    This first hour is superb!!

Now we have a group of nearly 50 riders 30 secs in front of the peloton.

It didn't include such big hitters until Kloden went with Cadel and Andy on his wheel.

AG2R on the front of the Peloton.

Rhods: http://www.fromsport.com/video-39937.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Thanks!
  • frenchfighter
    Grupetto is already formed with Cav and Boonen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Early in the stage of course, but Hushovd and Freire still in the reckoning for points?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
  • frenchfighter
    Now the Cadel haters really need to be quiet. He has now attacked the 2nd group and has four riders with him.

Peloton only 50m behind now.

Lead have 1.20 on yellow jersey. Astana on the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    Go Cadel !! He is in a small group off the front trying to pick up the pace... the Astana bum-fest is on again...

Good to see Nocentini opted for yellow bibs :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Is that Wiggo with Cadel?

obviously still plenty ion the tank early on after yesterday's fantastic performance...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    How about Wiggins for today, by the sounds of it the current climbing speed is a bit fast, so I should think that even if some sprinters manage to stay up there, they are probably going to be knackered by the finish, even if they get there in the top group. Wiggo however, is climbing superbly atm, and if he still has some of the power left over from his pursuiting days, could make a break from a group in the last few kilometres.

What does everyone think about stages like today's? Personally I think I'd probably prefer it if the last climb came later giving the race less time to come back together.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • frenchfighter
    Velonews:

Casar is still on his own.

Five riders have eerged from that big chase group of 30 and are giving chase.

They include Cadel Evans, Dave Zabriski Vladimir Efimkin, Egoi Martinez and Christophe Kern
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Zabriske is the Garmin rider
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    What's Evans doing, going for the KoM now? This makes for a promising stage. Astana forced to chase behind.
  • emadden
    Jez mon wrote:
    How about Wiggins for today, by the sounds of it the current climbing speed is a bit fast, so I should think that even if some sprinters manage to stay up there, they are probably going to be knackered by the finish, even if they get there in the top group. Wiggo however, is climbing superbly atm, and if he still has some of the power left over from his pursuiting days, could make a break from a group in the last few kilometres.

What does everyone think about stages like today's? Personally I think I'd probably prefer it if the last climb came later giving the race less time to come back together.

I agree with you... These stages waste what the mountains have to offer... The stage is designed to minimise the time gaps so the whole race comes down to the final week... I'd prefer to see the mountain top finishes of years ago...
    www.dotcycling.com