Stage 8 spoiler

Comments

• dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    deal wrote:
    dbmnk wrote:
    dbmnk wrote:
    Will find me a good stream now, and watch it through the night - any recommendations?

Official streams...hopefully you are in one of these countries : )

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/LIVE/de/s ... ideos.html
    thanks, but I'm sufferingfrom beeing in japan. streaming not allowed. Haven't got the patience to sort out a good proxy right now. dammit!

not great picture but english commentary - http://www.justin.tv/oleolep2p7
    excellent, thanks
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Jez mon wrote:
    NicFrance wrote:
    shouldn't cancellara work in the evans-group to put more pressure on astana?

But that would mean helping Cadel against the Schlecks!

that's true. but if the other contenders don't associate, i;mn afraid nobody will be able to beatthe astana-boys.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    All come back together, more or less a few riders up the road including Cancellara and fletcha, but the gap is only about 24 seconds.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Not sure why 'Big George' was upset (or was that mis-reported)?

No offence, they don't have a rider capable of top 3; and if they are just riding for a high overall, e.g. top 10-15; well they should take a risk.

C'mon be brave, be aggressive. 'Do a Cadel!"

If the reports were true then Hincapie may have wanted the break to stay away so he had a chance of a stage win. However, as Evans started the breakaway then surely its Hincapie's fault for joining an apparently doomed attack?
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Maybe Saxobank have sent Cancellara up ahead in the hope that he will reach the top of the first cat climb at the same time as the Schlecks. He may be able to do a job like the one he did in the Pyrenees last year - blast away on the front down the long valley to try and increase the gap on people in the following groups.

ok. that;s a good point. but only works if the group stays in front.
  • Jez mon
    NicFrance wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    NicFrance wrote:

that's true. but if the other contenders don't associate, i;mn afraid nobody will be able to beatthe astana-boys.

Well that's more or less what happened during the Postal Years, if other teams had got together they might have been able to topple lance, but instead riders seemed happy to race for second.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    emadden wrote:
    Im taking bets on a bunch sprint... hope this stage doesnt turn out to be damp...

Break is over :-(

Is a shame; but you know what. I hope Cadel tries this again later on in the Tour. I remember Sastre's attack two years ago (with Soler amongst others); take a chance I say.

Strange as it sounds - I would rather see a hypothetical where Cadel is in 8th spot; say 4 mins off lead, but just 30 secs out off top 5.

And come Stage to Mount Ventoux; he risks everything - goes for the win, but then crashes and burns and ends up 15th in GC - even though he could've ridden conservatively and attacked at very end to get those 30 secs.
  • SpaceJunk
    NicFrance wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    NicFrance wrote:

So true - CSC / Cervelo / Silence -Lotto (i.e. Cadel aloe) need to wok together. The onus is on them to do something.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Not sure why 'Big George' was upset (or was that mis-reported)?

No offence, they don't have a rider capable of top 3; and if they are just riding for a high overall, e.g. top 10-15; well they should take a risk.

C'mon be brave, be aggressive. 'Do a Cadel!"

If the reports were true then Hincapie may have wanted the break to stay away so he had a chance of a stage win. However, as Evans started the breakaway then surely its Hincapie's fault for joining an apparently doomed attack?

Yep; that's how I see it. Cadel took the initiative, Big George snoozes, he loses.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cancellara, Hincapie, Flecha, Casar, Efimkin and Hushovd are out in front. Lots of attacks coming from the main pleoton. Can't see Cav in it. Hushov is now the Green jersey holder, will certainly pick up another 6 points in 8km and maybe even the stage...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Astraloza, Rosseler, Ignatiev and LLS have now joined the leaders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • back from quick shopping trip.....

stunning scenery once again & it all looks nicely set up for an interesting stage
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Any thoughts on Wiggo beating the shit out of the team van after the stage yesterday? Adrenalin obviously still pumping after the stage.

I remember someone else looking very aggressive after a super ride in the mountains once....

I'd be very very surprised, but i know what was at the front of my mind when i seen him punching a van. :?
  • Oscar Pereiro has just abandoned...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    aarw wrote:
    Any thoughts on Wiggo beating the shoot out of the team van after the stage yesterday? Adrenalin obviously still pumping after the stage.

I remember someone else looking very aggressive after a super ride in the mountains once....

I'd be very very surprised, but i know what was at the front of my mind when i seen him punching a van. :?

Given testosterone use was/is so rife in the peloton, if it had such obvious effects why wouldn't we see more of this behaviour?

Perhaps there's a cause and effect relationship betweem putting in a stunning performance and getting quite worked up about it afterwards. Who knows?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Jez mon
    aarw wrote:
    Any thoughts on Wiggo beating the shoot out of the team van after the stage yesterday? Adrenalin obviously still pumping after the stage.

First I've heard of this, any sources?
  • aarw
    DaveyL wrote:
    Given testosterone use was/is so rife in the peloton, if it had such obvious effects why wouldn't we see more of this behaviour?

Perhaps there's a cause and effect relationship betweem putting in a stunning performance and getting quite worked up about it afterwards. Who knows?

Quite. The body does naturally produce testosterone during such efforts. I'd say it was some buzz to be riding so well in such company.

Where the hell did he lose 7kg from though?? :shock: Ride of the day yesterday without a doubt.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Ah well, same old scenario and the same old frightened tactics from "the rest".
    More afraid of a guy fighting for third, than the guys looking to fill the podium.

Chance to make Astana work hard? Nah, sit on and kill the break for them.
    The DS wusses get what they deserve.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • SpaceJunk
    aarw wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Quite. The body does naturally produce testosterone during such efforts. I'd say it was some buzz to be riding so well in such company.

Where the hell did he lose 7kg from though?? :shock: Ride of the day yesterday without a doubt.

I remember reading several months ago in (ahem) Cycle Sport mag, an interview they had with some Pommie pro rider (maybe someone can remind me - though 95% sure it WASN'T Wiggins, maybe Geraint Thomas?)

Anyway, he was on a weight-loss diet where he rode for 4 + hours on 2 x short blacks and 1/2 an energy bar.

His diet supposedly helped him lose several kilos off his whole body without losing too much power (but now more watts per kg now).
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Jez mon wrote:
    aarw wrote:
    Any thoughts on Wiggo beating the shoot out of the team van after the stage yesterday?
    That's true. Apparently the team bus was locked. Wiggo was cold at the top of the mountain and wanted to get inside, no one was there so he started knocking on the door in what you might call a "persistent manner". The Pro Cycling podcast guys said when he crossed the line he looked "pumped" and that they were afraid he'd deck someone.

Still, if I'd just crossed the line alongside the main GC contenders of the Tour after the first mountain stage, I suspect I'd be a bit full of myself.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wouldn't like to be at the Columbia dinner table this evening, there's going to be one angry Manxman.
  • no, wiggo was pleased and charged full of adrenaline, he did a playful two hand bash on the van (totally not hard at all), walked around the other side and bopped his bum against it. He was just super happy and charged!
  • Wagadugu choo choo :shock: :shock:

the crap you learn !!
  • aarw
    Jez mon wrote:
    aarw wrote:

ITV highlight showed it.

The team van being locked after such an effort would certainly be enough for me to punch it. Why was there no-one to meet him an CVV at the finish line though?
  • SpaceJunk
    I hope Fabian is only getting rid of lactic acid from his legs. Else, I know he loves descending, but that's not on.
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    I hope Fabian is only getting rid of lactic acid from his legs. Else, I know he loves descending, but that's not on.

LOL :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    Grupetto back in the main field who have 2.05 delay with 59km for the leaders who have just reached the base of the last climb.

Space Junk - I am pretty sure that rider was Cummings.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Againn, I'm impressed with Versus - when they hit the Col d'Agnes, they're going 30 minutes commercial free! Very cool.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Hey Andy Schleck is starting an attack with Fabian!