Stage 8 spoiler

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Anyway I 'm not sure which rider will end up winning the maillot jaune, but I do know it will be from the Molteni squad!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    SpaceJunk wrote:

CSC??

Sorry - you can't half tell I'm suffering from some serious sleep deprivation. I've had 33 hours sleep since the Tour started.

I'm an accountant by trade; so I'm working 12-14 hour days without even taking into account 1.30-2.00 am mornings.
    :?

(violins playing in the background).

Funny thing is I reckon I've been calling Saxo-Bank CSC all night!!!

So each stage finishes at 4am?? Rough!
  • SpaceJunk
    Flecha and Armstrong talking about their collection of modern art?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:

CSC??

Sorry - you can't half tell I'm suffering from some serious sleep deprivation. I've had 33 hours sleep since the Tour started.

I'm an accountant by trade; so I'm working 12-14 hour days without even taking into account 1.30-2.00 am mornings.
    :?

(violins playing in the background).

Funny thing is I reckon I've been calling Saxo-Bank CSC all night!!!

So each stage finishes at 4am?? Rough!

No - the prologue was about 3.30 am.

It's only 12.15 am now; I'm getting an early night tonight. But generally it's been 1.00 - 1.30 am, but I've been getting so worked up by the racing that it takes 30 - 60 mins to fall asleep.

Then the dreaded alarm goes off @ 5.51 am !!!
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    donrhummy wrote:
    I'm not so sure because there's no way Evans was getting more than 20-30 seconds on the field either way and he's so far behind that i can't see him really making Astana panic like Schleck could.
    Agreed, I was back editing my post to add in that bit but was a little slow than all the replies :lol:

As I doubt they would have made any time gains over Contador and Armstrong but it would forced them to work rather than sit in the comfortable day pace and they were always going to chase Evans as they don't wan thim to gain back time if they can help it.
    If teams are happy to let Astana dictate then Astana are more or less garanteed to win.
    They just had a chance to put a few dents into Astana when they wouldn't have expected so much.
  • chriskempton
    That's a damn fine river
  • SpaceJunk
    That's a damn fine river

I know the glorious weather amplifies it; but these two stages in the Pyrenees have been the most beautiful scenery I've seen in the Tour for years.
  • chriskempton
    Looks like today's fun might be over unless these 4 start attacking each other :(
  • SpaceJunk
    On Cue!

Ok - who's your tip?

Efimkin for me, though Casar could be foxing.
  • chriskempton
    ... and it's kicked off. 4 is the perfect number for tyhis kind of dogfight.
  • Efimkin off now - the other 3 dont seem to want to chase him donw terribly...
  • chriskempton
    Casar would have my money
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Nice move - just after first one fizzled out.
  • SpaceJunk
    Great finish!
  • chriskempton
    LL from Casar
  • SpaceJunk
    well downn LLS
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    Good effort from Efikim.

Congrats LLS - unlucky Sandy.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    what a finish!

bike racing at its best :)

(i also had ll sanchez for ptp :P )
  • SpaceJunk
    Great ride by LLS - got to Efimkin, slowed down momentarily to let Casar go past and then sat on his wheel. Kept a cool head.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Hi,

Sorry to be a numpty yet again, but...

Why did Efimkin do no work with the breakaway all afternoon?
    Why did the other three let him do no work?
    Why, when Efimkin attacked, did Casar just sit and watch him go?

Thanks.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2009
    LLS

One of my favourite riders. Very pleased with him. So glad Efimkin didn't win as he did only 6% on the front (LLS the most at 45%). I know his teammate is in yellow but even so.

I called LLS at the start so am very happy about that too.

Andy looks super smooth.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    edited July 2009
    Coriander wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks.

Basically the answers to your 3 questions are that his team mate Noccentini, is in the yellow jersey, so he was just in the break to "police" it.

Casar just watched him go, either because he couldn't, or because by the time Efimkin went past, he was going full bore (as he had time to wind up).

Also, when someone doesn't do any work in a break, it's pretty difficult to actually make them do any.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • SpaceJunk
    Coriander wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks.

- Didn't do any work, because his team mate in yellow. Believed he isn't under any obligation to help. I don't agree with that since the other 3 weren't a threat to the yellow jersey.
    - They weren't happy; but punching the guy in the face get's you kicked off the Tour
    - Casar had just reeled in Mikel's attack. Felt someone else should do that chase. Wanted to keep something in reserve for finish.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Cavendish is at risk of being outside the time limit!! He's still not in!
  • SpaceJunk
    donrhummy wrote:
    Cavendish is at risk of being outside the time limit!! He's still not in!

DO you know what the limit is? I understand the stage was run ahead of schedule; that will help out Cav - it makes the time limit larger (I think??)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edited July 2009
    What will the time limit be? 40 minutes? I imagine there will be a lot of riders in the autobus today

Just looking at the finishing times it looks as though Menchov might have been dropped somewhere. Maybe late mechanical? Ten Dam wasnt there either. Although maybe they were at the back of the group and havent been added on yet. Guess i should wait for the full results :D

EDIT: yes, he was there - thought they had counted up until the end of the group but there were a few more names to fill in.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, am obvioulsy having an extra thick day, but...

If he wasn't go to do any work because his team mate was in yellow, why did he bother going with them? And sorry, but why does his team mate being in yellow make any difference - did he not want the breakaway to go too fast and risk taking the yellow from Neocentini?

Also, why 'police' the group? To what end?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Saxo Bank's tactics so deliberately peverse, that Bruyneel will lose 10 minutes sleep, tonight, thinking about their cunning plans. :roll:

Nice smarts by LL and I'm glad Efimkin's wheel sucking antics got what they deserved.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Today's stage was 176km (110 miles) and was completed in just over 4 and a half hours. I make that just under 40km/25 miles an hour. Not bad for a mountain stage! Then again they did end up losing not that far off 1000 metres today between the start and finish
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    LLS

One of my favourite riders. Very pleased with him. So glad Efimkin didn't win as he did only 6% on the front (LLS the most at 45%). I know his teammate is in yellow but even so.

I called LLS at the start so am very happy about that too.

Andy looks super smooth.

How many favourite riders do you have? The peloton minus Armstrong?
    Le Blaireau (1)