Stage 8 spoiler

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    edited July 2009
    emadden wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    How about Wiggins for today, by the sounds of it the current climbing speed is a bit fast, so I should think that even if some sprinters manage to stay up there, they are probably going to be knackered by the finish, even if they get there in the top group. Wiggo however, is climbing superbly atm, and if he still has some of the power left over from his pursuiting days, could make a break from a group in the last few kilometres.

What does everyone think about stages like today's? Personally I think I'd probably prefer it if the last climb came later giving the race less time to come back together.

I agree with you... These stages waste what the mountains have to offer... The stage is designed to minimise the time gaps so the whole race comes down to the final week... I'd prefer to see the mountain top finishes of years ago...

Seems a bit pointless given the long TTT earlier!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Wigging in main peloton then?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Wiggins :lol:
  • Jez mon
    Hope so, they haven't shown him, however, they are on the phone with Matt White (Garmin DS i think!) and he's saying that Wiggo is feeling good.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jez I agree, but then look at the stages to come - much better for that type of long range attack to hold off.

Fri:
    PROFIL.gif
    2nd Tues:
    PROFIL.gif
    2nd Wed:
    PROFIL.gif
    2nd Fri:
    PROFIL.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Jez mon wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    How about Wiggins for today, by the sounds of it the current climbing speed is a bit fast, so I should think that even if some sprinters manage to stay up there, they are probably going to be knackered by the finish, even if they get there in the top group. Wiggo however, is climbing superbly atm, and if he still has some of the power left over from his pursuiting days, could make a break from a group in the last few kilometres.

What does everyone think about stages like today's? Personally I think I'd probably prefer it if the last climb came later giving the race less time to come back together.

I agree with you... These stages waste what the mountains have to offer... The stage is designed to minimise the time gaps so the whole race comes down to the final week... I'd prefer to see the mountain top finishes of years ago...

Seems a bit pointless given the long TTT earlier!!

Not really.. even though the TTT gaps were big, they wouldnt compare to the gaps that would open up if you had three successive mountain top finishes where minutes and minutes can be lost
    www.dotcycling.com
  • some power being generated going up there - Nikki Sorensen generating 872 watts near the summit....
  • frenchfighter
    HUSHOVD in the CADEL group!!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    Thanks emadden - now watching it on rtbf. I guess 12.30 is for feeds online...

Beppu is out the back already! I thought they had a lot of mountains in Japan : )

yeah they do have a lot of mountains in japan, very lovely ones with switchbacks and all, but they generally seems to have no clue of roadbiking. That includes streetbiking - they are all terrible cyclists.

I'd love to see a grand tour in Japan though, the scenery here is awesome.

And then I'd just like to thank you guys for this great coverage of the tour, since my timezone is really screwed for watching live tour. The comments induce almost the same excitement as seeing it live.

Will find me a good stream now, and watch it through the night - any recommendations?
  • Jez mon
    Thor is in the Evans group! :shock:
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    edited July 2009
    this is decent if you dont mind french http://www.justin.tv/zkbash
  • Jez mon
    Correction, Thor is ahead of the Evans group, dropping like a stone!
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2009
    Hushovd has about 500m on the Cadel group which now has Hincapie, Cancellara and a few more riders. He will bag all the intermediate sprints in the valley and take the Green jersey - excellent move.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    There are two sprints in between this mountain and the next. I expect that they are Thor's first target. Maybe he is going all out to scoop the points there?

Thor and Friere both finished in the autobus yesterday. Freire especially is a better climber than that so i think they will have been saving as much energy for today as possible. Bennati was also a long way back. He would normally have a chance of being there if there was a group of 40-50 coming to the finish but seems to have been off form recently.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I'm SO annoyed I didn't pick Thor for PTP today, I knew he'd try something to snaffle the points, like Freire did last year.
  • Jez mon
    Wonder if the Evans group will work together, they could prove hard to chase down if they do.
  • frenchfighter
    dbmnk wrote:
    Will find me a good stream now, and watch it through the night - any recommendations?

Official streams...hopefully you are in one of these countries : )

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/LIVE/de/s ... ideos.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    They caught Thor so he must have slowed. Hincapie not happy with Evans. Seven Astana on the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Cancellara really not happy either. I think they are both saying to Evans to pull back and let the escape go to the end, but ti could be completely different. Leave the boy alone.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Cancellara appears to be abusing Evans ordering him back.....I know he wants a stage win but Evans has to try and get some time back for the GC. Cancellara has had his time...move on!!!
  • Jez mon
    I think this group has got too many people just marking the break, rather than wanting to get away.
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    dbmnk wrote:

thanks, but I'm sufferingfrom beeing in japan. streaming not allowed. Haven't got the patience to sort out a good proxy right now. dammit!
  • deal
    dbmnk wrote:
    dbmnk wrote:

thanks, but I'm sufferingfrom beeing in japan. streaming not allowed. Haven't got the patience to sort out a good proxy right now. dammit!

not great picture but english commentary - http://www.justin.tv/oleolep2p7
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    shouldn't cancellara work in the evans-group to put more pressure on astana?
  • Jez mon
    Gap is around 44 seconds, brave move by Cadel, but I don't think it'll work
  • Jez mon
    NicFrance wrote:

But that would mean helping Cadel against the Schlecks!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Im taking bets on a bunch sprint... hope this stage doesnt turn out to be damp...

Break is over :-(
    www.dotcycling.com
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Not sure why 'Big George' was upset (or was that mis-reported)?

No offence, they don't have a rider capable of top 3; and if they are just riding for a high overall, e.g. top 10-15; well they should take a risk.

C'mon be brave, be aggressive. 'Do a Cadel!"
  • deal
    Jez mon wrote:
    NicFrance wrote:

But that would mean helping Cadel against the Schlecks!

if they are going for the win then the astana riders are the biggest threat, they should get cancellera to help the group - but not enough for it to stay away, make astana work like dogs all day chasing then the schlecks can attack a tired astana
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Maybe Saxobank have sent Cancellara up ahead in the hope that he will reach the top of the first cat climb at the same time as the Schlecks. He may be able to do a job like the one he did in the Pyrenees last year - blast away on the front down the long valley to try and increase the gap on people in the following groups.